Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Ishaan
Human being with feelings

Default *Openly assignable* OSC controls with bidirectional feedback?

Hello esteemed REAPERers,

I'm trying to build my personal workhorse controller template. This is going to be my first major Lemur project and I am very excited about building it! One thing that is extremely important to me is having as much controller feedback (i.e., when you move a parameter in Reaper, the changes are reflected in Lemur - not just the other way around!) as possible. I want to learn about what will and will not be possible.

All this said, I'm a noob to OSC and programming in general.

Let me get directly to my first (of probably many) questions:

When it comes to controlling FX parameters, instead of an interface that automatically "picks up" (and somewhat arbitrarily assigns) all parameters of the FX in focus to a set of "blank" controls (which is what I've seen on previous controller templates - correct me if I'm wrong!), I'd prefer to pre-define a relevant set of controls and then assign these on a per-plugin basis. However, I'm uncertain of whether controller feedback will be possible in such a scenario.

FOR INSTANCE: I'd like to create a master EQ page. This would include universal EQ commands such as, let's say, HPF and LPF. Then, no matter what EQ you instantiated, these knobs would always affect HPF and LPF (provided, of course, that one has first configured each of the plugins within Reaper to receive these specific messages).

However, as I understand it...Reaper does not provide controller feedback for "learned" parameters as such. Is there any sort of work-around here? Something I'm not seeing? Something I need to incorporate into the OSC configuration file?

What I want is possible, and easily achieved, without controller feedback. But it's my inability to connect my vision to this latter feature that is keeping me up at night...

Help greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by Ishaan; 11-22-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Ishaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
Ishaan

Bump.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 AM   #3
Ishaan

Was it something I said?

Double bump.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
ThrashJazzAssassin

I suggest you get stuck in and make a start, search the forum (a lot of what you're talking about has been discussed before through the years in depth), read Default.ReaperOSC and study other people's work e.g. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=98673 & http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=126275

Good luck!