Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Europanaut
Human being with feelings

Default A/D opinions?

I have an odd situation here. I have a Behringer ADA8000, which I'm not really crazy about. But I've also been loaned a Yamaha O2R.

The ADA is 24bit, with crappy pre's. The Yamaha is 20bit, with pre's I've never used, plus a ton of additional features (which I may or may not use).

I know that there are much better units out there, but at the moment, budget dictates a choice between these two.

Any suggestions as to which one should be my first choice A/D?

Thanks all.
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
DuX

Very tricky question. Yamaha's ADC is probably a very good 20-bit converter. On the other hand, Behringer's 24-bit is *24-bit* converter and as far as I know they use excellent pro-quality AKM converters. The thing is, though, the converter in itself is not enough to make sound shine...

I'd go with Behringer, but I'd at least modify it with some better components-better preamps in the first place, then capacitors and metal film resistors. There are more than a few threads on the Internet about how to mod an ADA8000. Try www.diyaudio.com for a start and try googling.

ADA8000 is a very very good value for the money, and if you succeed in modding it properly, it rocks .

Cheers!
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Dog Boots

As far as I know the converters in the ADA8000 are Alesis - not AKM? Anyway, they're supposedly still pretty good - but the pres are not exciting.

If you only need converters, not pres, cheap AKM-converters can be had in Fostex VC-8 units, which go for next to nothing second hand. 20-bit, but really good sounding. Sorry for OT.

But why not just try out your two options, if that's...erh...an option?
Dog Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
mbuzz

You should be able to use the 02R pre's and send them direct out to the ADA8000 that way you have the Yamy Pre's and the 24 bits !!!
set up the ch. inserts 1-16 as your pre's.

Later
Buzz

PS: you need cables tho ????? $$$$
Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Lawrence

Yeah, use the Behringer but feed it a source hot enough so you don't have to gain it too much (or at all) with the preamps. They really suck when you crank them, I wish they allowed bypassing them altogether.

The converters are ok though. I have one that doesn't get much use but it's fine.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-03-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
drinkingexpresso1

Hasn't there been a bunch of award/grammy winning work done on the 02R? Wasnt the hourglass done on that (using the preamps and a/d)?

I've never used an 02R, but i cant tell you for fact that my mytek convertors running at 16bit A/D sound much better than many 24bit converters i've used! So i dont think i would use bit rate necessarily to choose between the two...
drinkingexpresso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Europanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuzz View Post
You should be able to use the 02R pre's and send them direct out to the ADA8000 that way you have the Yamy Pre's and the 24 bits !!!
Thanks for the input everyone.

mbuzz, I'm not sure I understand. I assume that you are suggesting using the O2R's preamps and analog outs. I thought that, since it's a digital console, the signal is converted on input (which means it's 20bit, right from the start). Or is it really an analog console, with the conversion done on output?

Also, even if this were the case, in order to run into the ADA, I'd still have to go through the Behrenger's preamps.

Correct?
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
mbuzz

Euro the inputs/inserts are all analog ! , you can take a snake/cables and take the out from the insert point on the board direct into the ADA8000 .
It does go thru the ADA8000 pres but at a LOW LEVEL ( I have 3 ADA's and a bunch of outboard pres and it sounds great IMO ) I also use a Soundtracs console with this same setup.

The main thing is to use gain staging to keep the ADA's pre levels at a minimum and use the gain from the 02R for the signal whether its a mic or line signal.

Later
Buzz

PS: a 16 ch snake 1-1 will give you 16 pre's etc. with 2 ADA8000's , besides thats a $10k board you have there try it first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkingexpresso1 View Post
Hasn't there been a bunch of award/grammy winning work done on the 02R?
There's been a lot of award winning stuff done with 1st gen ADAT's and SPX-90's, but I wouldn't *choose* to use them.

IMO one should get a some sort of Apogee like a MiniMe, or a Mytek and be done with thinking about it.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Lawrence

Yeah...

But first get a quality DA and speakers so you can hear what you're paying for.

Lavry Black DA ($900)... highly recommended.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-04-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote