Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings

Default Remake of an old song I wrote, Times Moves Faster Here and silly song called Blunder

Time Moves Faster Here is a remake of an old song. Way back in 2003 my friend got a computer with some music software so he recorded song some of my songs. Nearly 20 years later I rewrote and recorded it again. I think the new version is a lot better than the old version, but left a link here to the old version to compare. I always thought the old version had more potential.

New version https://soundcloud.com/dreamofsleepi...es-faster-here

Old 2003 version https://soundcloud.com/dreamofsleepi...es-slower-here

Another new, but not serious song is called Blunder. While working on another song I randomly started singing a melody idea in an over the top southern American accent. I kept working on the song and thought it was actually pretty catchy. When I recorded it I recorded it in my own English accent and thought it was really boring and I was annoyed at myself for wasting a week practicing the guitar part. Then I decided to just record it in the silly over the top southern American accent and I like it again. No offence to Sothern American's intended. I know you don't really sound like this! Feel free to record songs in band English accents!

Blunder https://soundcloud.com/dreamofsleeping/blunder
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
RobertP

Times Moved Faster - loved it, beautiful song and lyrics and the mix is perfect for both - so jealous of your voice

though, must say, I preferred your english voice...
Old 12-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Stinger

Nahse sawng, but jest wundrin', me bayin' frumm the Sayoth an' awll, eyes athankin' - could yew record it agin in Anglish so's ah keein understayand the lurks? Thanks feller...
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:59 AM   #4
enroe

"Time moves faster here": A beautiful, slightly melancholic
ballad - very emotionally moving! Like it a lot.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:23 AM   #5
zeekat

You already had your voice in 2003 (literally and figuratively, as in "creative fingerprint"), pretty cool, it's always mighty interesting to have such a look into someones progress.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
You already had your voice in 2003 (literally and figuratively, as in "creative fingerprint"), pretty cool, it's always mighty interesting to have such a look into someones progress.
Thank you. From the minute I picked up a guitar I basically wrote songs that all sounded like the depressing last song on an album. haha
Old 12-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
"Time moves faster here": A beautiful, slightly melancholic
ballad - very emotionally moving! Like it a lot.
Thank you I appreciate it!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Nahse sawng, but jest wundrin', me bayin' frumm the Sayoth an' awll, eyes athankin' - could yew record it agin in Anglish so's ah keein understayand the lurks? Thanks feller...
haha very good!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Times Moved Faster - loved it, beautiful song and lyrics and the mix is perfect for both - so jealous of your voice

though, must say, I preferred your english voice...
Thank you!
Old 12-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Stinger

Re: "Times...." Very nice vocal, melody, echoing BV's & accompanying guitar. Sounds like some Sting influence.

re: "Blunder"...actually a nice little jaunty thing, with a creative chord pattern. And your accent is much more authentic than is my British accent, and much closer to the real thing than a guy from New Jersey could get.

As always, your acoustic guitar picking is just great.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #11
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Re: "Times...." Very nice vocal, melody, echoing BV's & accompanying guitar. Sounds like some Sting influence.

re: "Blunder"...actually a nice little jaunty thing, with a creative chord pattern. And your accent is much more authentic than is my British accent, and much closer to the real thing than a guy from New Jersey could get.

As always, your acoustic guitar picking is just great.
Thank you. I have a friend who lives in New Jersey. When I told him about the southern accent he convinced me to do it just because he thought it was funny.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:10 AM   #12
martmix

nice song beautyfull voice
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
nice song beautyfull voice
Thank you.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #14
41TWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
Thank you. From the minute I picked up a guitar I basically wrote songs that all sounded like the depressing last song on an album. haha
I was the same but I was 16 so it was very angsty and more rocky. Trying to get anger out. For me that was the great thing about writing music. Getting what's inside out. I guess there's probably some therapy in that.

Those two songs, yeah I can see why people are giving you high praise. They both are very good!!!!! I think I actually liked blunder more. You hit on a thing with the reference to Pop. In our state (Wisconsin), most people say "Soda". But when I was growing up my cousins from up north would say Pop. I feel like the people in the city said Soda and the people in the country said "Pop". Now.... to make things more interesting that you may or may not know.. My wife is from Alabama. Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta, Georgia. A hop skip and a jump from her. So if you're in a restaurant, and order a "Coke", they'll ask you "what kind?". I was like what the? Cuz "Coke" refers to ALL flavors and types of "Soda" or "Pop".

So the conversation might go something like this, "What kind of Coke would you like? I would like an Orange Crush". LOL. Seriously. More confusing is if you want a coke. Cuz you would say "Could I please have a Coke" And the waitress responds, "Sure Hon, what kind?" And as a northerner I was like aaaaaa, did I stutter? My wife had to explain all that to me.

That part made me laugh out loud though. The cheap stuff topped off with "Pop".

So am I right, is the song about playing chess and you want your opponent to mess up so you can win? For shame on you. LOL.

Great work man. I do think you got a gift.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #15
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
I was the same but I was 16 so it was very angsty and more rocky. Trying to get anger out. For me that was the great thing about writing music. Getting what's inside out. I guess there's probably some therapy in that.

Those two songs, yeah I can see why people are giving you high praise. They both are very good!!!!! I think I actually liked blunder more. You hit on a thing with the reference to Pop. In our state (Wisconsin), most people say "Soda". But when I was growing up my cousins from up north would say Pop. I feel like the people in the city said Soda and the people in the country said "Pop". Now.... to make things more interesting that you may or may not know.. My wife is from Alabama. Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta, Georgia. A hop skip and a jump from her. So if you're in a restaurant, and order a "Coke", they'll ask you "what kind?". I was like what the? Cuz "Coke" refers to ALL flavors and types of "Soda" or "Pop".

So the conversation might go something like this, "What kind of Coke would you like? I would like an Orange Crush". LOL. Seriously. More confusing is if you want a coke. Cuz you would say "Could I please have a Coke" And the waitress responds, "Sure Hon, what kind?" And as a northerner I was like aaaaaa, did I stutter? My wife had to explain all that to me.

That part made me laugh out loud though. The cheap stuff topped off with "Pop".

So am I right, is the song about playing chess and you want your opponent to mess up so you can win? For shame on you. LOL.

Great work man. I do think you got a gift.
Thank you! It's funny about the word pop, is in England we say that in some places too. I used to have a Newcastle accent when i was a kid and we would call it pop, but moved down to the middle of the country and I never heard anyone say it. Even though we are brought up on American TV here I was quite old before I first heard an American say it, and was quite surprised. But I remembered it for when writing this song!

I have been playing a lot of chess lately so it's about that but also using chess as a metaphor. He's jealous of all the other guy's success and wants him to blunder in life.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #16
41TWIN

Wow, I would've never guessed they said pop over there!!!! Interesting.

The British shows and movies really have been more of part of my life for the last decade or so. I like them. I also like the Australia / New Zealand shows quite a bit but I'm not sure if I should be admitting that to someone from the UK. Is there a rivarly?

I think they have less pomp and circumstance and are a lot of times more down to earth. But a lot of our (wife and I) ancestry is British / Irish so I feel pretty connected when watching shows from the UK.

Do you have a youtube channel or somewhere specific you post your music. Or is that what the soundcloud is for you? I wouldn't mind checking more of your songs out.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:10 AM   #17
Dream Of Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Wow, I would've never guessed they said pop over there!!!! Interesting.

The British shows and movies really have been more of part of my life for the last decade or so. I like them. I also like the Australia / New Zealand shows quite a bit but I'm not sure if I should be admitting that to someone from the UK. Is there a rivarly?

I think they have less pomp and circumstance and are a lot of times more down to earth. But a lot of our (wife and I) ancestry is British / Irish so I feel pretty connected when watching shows from the UK.

Do you have a youtube channel or somewhere specific you post your music. Or is that what the soundcloud is for you? I wouldn't mind checking more of your songs out.
There's no real rivalry with Australia. Except maybe amongst Rugby fans! Most of my favorite shoes are American. Breaking Bad, Ozark, Friends, Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I just post music on my soundcloud. I can't really be bothered with anywhere else. I do have a youtube, I think the link is in the signature. But I don't upload as frequently.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
Time Waster

+1 Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Best series ever made.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:37 AM   #19
ivansc

FWIW, when I lived in Tennessee, I used to crack up over the fractured accents used at me when people knew I was a Limey. Usual phrase they used was "Cuppa tay" in a sort of Dick van Dyke-esque fake accent. You sound like the reverse!

KnowWhuddAMean,Vern?