Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #441
Banned
Human being with feelings

Oh, and as if Cockos would not have thought of it themselves, here are the obvious feature name suggestions:

ReaMap

ReaScale

(and I am also still missing a ReaMote pun somewhere...)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #442
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
When playing with the transport functions via OSC, I found out that they function quite differently than the GUI buttons with the same names. I assume that there must be some reason why play/pause/stop seem to be related in a way that is less than straightforward,
the space bar dose not "Toggle" the play button?

if you mouse click the play button on the GUI it will play/pause (just like OSC)

Space bar will play if stopped & Stop if playing

the Return key will toggle Play/pause

if your after a single button in OSC that acts like the space bar i'm sure it could be added by JCS. or even just mapped in the Action list "Transport: Play/Stop"

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #443
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
the space bar dose not "Toggle" the play button?

if you mouse click the play button on the GUI it will play/pause (just like OSC)

Space bar will play if stopped & Stop if playing

the Return key will toggle Play/pause

if your after a single button in OSC that acts like the space bar i'm sure it could be added by JCS. or even just mapped in the Action list "Transport: Play/Stop"
Yeah, I get all that. Space bar works fine, but seems to work completely different than sending /play twice, and also different than alternating between /play and /stop.

I wonder how it all translates to OSC. Neither the GUI buttons nor the keyboard shortcuts can simply be mapped to OSC, it seems. Pressing play != /play, pressing pause != /pause, pressing stop != stop.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #444
Subz

Quote:
Yeah, I get all that. Space bar works fine, but seems to work completely different than sending /play twice, and also different than alternating between /play and /stop.

I wonder how it all translates to OSC. Neither the GUI buttons nor the keyboard shortcuts can simply be mapped to OSC, it seems. Pressing play != /play, pressing pause != /pause, pressing stop != stop.
Space bar toggles play & stop

so it is exactly the same as pressing play then stop

if you press play twice on the gui it will pause

Subz
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #445
Banned

Quote:
Space bar toggles play & stop

so it is exactly the same as pressing play then stop

if you press play twice on the gui it will pause

Subz
Again, I understand how the GUI works (and actually, what you say isn't exactly true: clicking play twice in a row does not pause).

But I don't understand how it translates to OSC. Pressing the play button on the GUI is not the same as sending /play 1 twice. Etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #446
Subz

Quote:
Again, I understand how the GUI works (and actually, what you say isn't exactly true: clicking play twice in a row does not pause).

But I don't understand how it translates to OSC. Pressing the play button on the GUI is not the same as sending /play 1 twice. Etc.

Oops! your right!

My Bad! (Apologies)

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #447
Macciza

Hi All,

New to the Forum but well experienced in music technology.

Someone asked 'where's the best place to get an overview of the OSC format and how to use/manipulate it?' earlier in this thread - try http://opensoundcontrol.org/

It was also mentioned that 'You are free to define your own namespace in OSC, it is open-ended and dynamic' - Whilst this is true in regards to the 'namespace' it does not necessarily apply to the whole system. There are defined symbols for 'pattern-matching' on servers, which are not being implemented in Reaper and could potentially cause problems down the track...

The '@' symbol is not defined as a wildcard in OSC - it is used as an OOP style 'attribute' signifier. .
Pattern-matching schema were defined in OSC 1 and include '?' and '*' for single or multiple characters, as well as others, and additional symbols are envisaged for OSC 2.

I am wondering why you have defined your own pattern-matching scheme that is seemingly at odds with the OSC standard? I would like to be able to get @attribute messages out of Reaper.

Cheers
MM
Macciza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #448
schwa
Administrator

Hi Macciza. REAPER does support the usual ? and * wildcards (though support is not well tested yet). The @ wildcard we invented for our metadata-like pattern configuration specification. Have a look at the comments in Default.ReaperOSC. @ is not even really a wildcard, in that REAPER doesn't send or expect to receive messages containing @. It's just a way to specify a type of substitution in the pattern config file, without ambiguity with actual OSC wildcards.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #449
Banned

Quote:
[...] for u-he Diva, when I use .rpl presets and switch between them, it does update all the parameters correctly (but not the name), for the AUi format, but not for the VSTi format.
Heh, I just found a pretty weird case where it does send all the parameters, but does a bit more than that which probably isn't correct: with the default setting
Code:
DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT 16
and the AUi plugin u-he Diva in slot 1 of track 1, then sending e.g.
Code:
/fx/1/preset+ 1
… depending on the preset, I get fxparam feedback for almost all parameters, but a different number for /fxparam and /fxinstparam, e.g 1 thru e.g. 240 (out of 256) versus 244. What is really weird though, is that for every one of those parameters, I also get feedback for the same parameter as 'last touched' parameter. (I guess changing a .rpl preset isn't much different from touching all the parameters very quickly?)

Last edited by Banned; 03-14-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #450
Banned

Another couple of quirks that still exist in rc1:

- Adding or removing a plugin, or changing the order of plugins on a track does not immidiately generate updated feedback; only after changing the track order is the updated information (plugin name etc.) sent out.

- Wet/dry values are not getting initialized (for the dedicated /wetdry pattern). Only after tweaking them, the value appears as feedback.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #451
Banned

When sending a track bank change to REAPER, it (also) sends back information about tempo [EDIT: (already reported in posts #142 and #156)]. This may not be needed (although it's just a few tiny bits of excess data at worst).

OSC input (from control surface to REAPER):
Code:
/device/track/bank/- 1
OSC output (from REAPER to control surface):
Code:
[...]
/tempo 0.3125
/tempo/raw 120
/tempo 0
/tempo/raw 1

Last edited by Banned; 03-15-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: fixed broken code tags; links added
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #452
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
v4.20rc1 - March 10 2012
#[...]
+ API: many new functions for FX presets, open/close UI [...]
Will this also become available via OSC at some point? I'd really love to be able to toggle the display of the GUI of selected plugins from a control surface.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #453
diversgens

Quote:
When sending a track bank change to REAPER, it (also) sends back information about tempo. This may not be needed (although it's just a few tiny bits of excess data at worst).

OSC input (from control surface to REAPER):
Code:
/device/track/bank/- 1
OSC output (from REAPER to control surface):
Code:
[...]
/tempo 0.3125
/tempo/raw 120
/tempo 0
/tempo/raw 1
I confirm this, already mentionned in post #142 and #156
diversgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #454
diversgens

Quote:
Will this also become available via OSC at some point? I'd really love to be able to toggle the display of the GUI of selected plugins from a control surface.
i will like to see it too.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #455
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversgens View Post
i will like to see it too.
and me!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #456
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversgens View Post
I confirm this, already mentionned in post #142 and #156
Oops, sorry I missed those - links added for reference.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #457
diversgens

I'm working actually on the midiaction and it's working great. But i have some FR in this area. Because all the controls are action only there is no feedback between the device and reaper for example i made a 16 switches to select channels in the midi filter and it's ok but if i unselect a channel with the mouse in reaper the switch is always enable in the device.

Another request, will it be possible to have a specific command to show and hide the midi filter window, i can enable/disable it but i can't open and close the window as i do for the midi editor.

I'm at the beginning with this midi action but it seems to be one of the best part of the osc support ...
Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #458
diversgens

Is it plan to have specific syntax for media explorer actions ?
I can open the media explorer window but if i send media explorer action id via /action it control the main action.
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #459
Banned

REAPER crashes here when sending:
Code:
/device/fxparam/count/0 1
or
/device/fxinstparam/count/0 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Log
Exception Type: EXC_ARITHMETIC (SIGFPE)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_DIV (divide by zero)

[...]

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 reaper_csurf.dylib 0x0944be75 CSurf_Osc::SetActiveFXChange() + 805
1 ??? 0x37373738 0 + 926365496
(schwa, do you want some full crash logs?)

With other /device/*/count/* messages, I also get unexpected feedback for tempo, and in two cases also send names:
Code:
OSC input to REAPER:
/device/receive/count/0 1
or
/device/tracks/count/0 1

OSC output from REAPER:
/tempo 0.3125
/tempo/raw 120
/tempo 0
/tempo/raw 1
/master/send/1/name Output 1
/track/send/1/name Output 1
Code:
OSC input to REAPER:
/device/send/count/0 1

OSC output from REAPER:
/tempo 0
/tempo/raw 1
Code:
OSC input to REAPER:
/device/fx/count/0 1

OSC output from REAPER:
/tempo 0.3125
/tempo/raw 120
/tempo 0
/tempo/raw 1
It's a bit weird that the feedback differs for these type of messages. Also note this little spelling inconsistency:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_COUNT i/device/track/count t/device/tracks/count/@
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #460
Billoon

FR : Bi-directional feedback for the metronome volume control and level.

Loving the OSC support, thanks guys.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #461
captain_caveman

I have a small (read not small) feature request. Rather than having the OSC to MIDI middlemanware, perhaps an internal MIDI port that can be accessed in Reaper like any other could be created that we could send MIDI through via OSC commands.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #462
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_caveman View Post
I have a small (read not small) feature request. Rather than having the OSC to MIDI middlemanware, perhaps an internal MIDI port that can be accessed in Reaper like any other could be created that we could send MIDI through via OSC commands.
Wait, the first part I understand... but not the second part. From where in REAPER do you want to send OSC commands? And if it's just a single port, it would only work with one port. I'd imagine MIDI feedback simply going back to the same port 'where it came from', so to speak. Anything else sounds unflexible yet convoluted.

I'm all in favor of both MIDI feedback and OSC sequencing by the way, I just don't think I understand what you're asking for exactly.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #463
captain_caveman

Quote:
Wait, the first part I understand... but not the second part. From where in REAPER do you want to send OSC commands? And if it's just a single port, it would only work with one port. I'd imagine MIDI feedback simply going back to the same port 'where it came from', so to speak. Anything else sounds unflexible yet convoluted.

I'm all in favor of both MIDI feedback and OSC sequencing by the way, I just don't think I understand what you're asking for exactly.
I wasn't thinking of MIDI/OSC going out, just an OSC equivalent of Note On/Off messages etc going into Reaper to do what a MIDI controller keyboard input does at the moment.

At the moment, even taking OSC out of the equation, apps that send MIDI have to have middleware installed on the PC to receive and send on through virtual ports. Having OSC-MIDI conversion/routing integrated into Reaper would remove this necessity and clean the process/worflow.

I suppose if OSC is the future replacement of MIDI that this stuff is inevitable anyway, with full OSC routing to tracks etc, but having a self-contained bridge in the meantime would be cool.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #464
Banned

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of MIDI/OSC going out, just an OSC equivalent of Note On/Off messages etc going into Reaper to do what a MIDI controller keyboard input does at the moment.

At the moment, even taking OSC out of the equation, apps that send MIDI have to have middleware installed on the PC to receive and send on through virtual ports. Having OSC-MIDI conversion/routing integrated into Reaper would remove this necessity and clean the process/worflow.

I suppose if OSC is the future replacement of MIDI that this stuff is inevitable anyway, with full OSC routing to tracks etc, but having a self-contained bridge in the meantime would be cool.
Ah, that's indeed something entirely different. But I'm still confused.

For one think, you're perhaps assuming too much already. On many personal computers, namely those running OS X, there is a native virtual MIDI port system (which is also compatible with Windows via rtpMIDI), and it works absolutely fine (I don't want to start a flamewar, but there are reasons why many music production folks prefer Macs). If you're asking to integrate such a feature in REAPER, you should also keep in mind that REAPER is a cross-platform product. Imho, virtual MIDI ports don't belong in a DAW but in an OS.

For another, you can't take OSC out of the equation but still somehow need OSC-MIDI conversion, whether or not it would be integrated into REAPER.

And if it's about input of notes, I can't think of much examples where sending MIDI to REAPER would be more cumbersome than sending OSC. For apps that send OSC messages for notes, there isn't really a standard, but you don't mention those anyway... and while I'd very much welcome having such features available, I don't subscribe to the idea that "OSC is the future replacement of MIDI" when it comes to notes in particular. And I don't know much hardware which sends notes using OSC either.

So I still don't see what it is you're really asking for exactly...

Having a self-contained bridge is indeed very cool anyway. But if you'd put OSC/MIDI conversion into REAPER, it will be the exact opposite of a self-contained bridge. Modularity is the opposite of integration.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #465
captain_caveman

Nah, you don't get it.

edit: sorry that was rude. It still seems obvious to me what I am asking for and why all the points you made in reply are irrelevant.

edit2: Yes, that was rude as well... sorry.

Basically what I am saying has nothing to do with virtual MIDI ports on OSX or otherwise, nothing to do with standards since a 32 bit integer can contain all the info with a preceding port number as another integer in an OSC message, writing mobile apps that do MIDI (or OSC to MIDI) require middleware, whether on OSX or Windows (nothing to do with Virtual MIDI ports) and therefore writing an app to do MIDI as well as OSC is a PITA.

If you say that you don't subscribe to the fact that OSC is the future of MIDI then why are we all here, since OSC cannot do a single thing that MIDI can't?

Last edited by captain_caveman; 03-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #466
Banned

I don't take your remarks as rude at all, you're quite correct, I actually still don't get it.
Quote:
Basically what I am saying has nothing to do with virtual MIDI ports on OSX or otherwise, [...]
I may have misunderstood what you meant by sending MIDI thru virtual ports - but you're the one who brought it up. I'm just trying to make sense of it.

I think I disagree on this though:
Quote:
"[...] require middleware, [...] and therefore [...] is a PITA.[...]"
I have no general issue at all with using middleware; I tend to favor modularity over integration. Moreover, I think one of the cool things about the OSC control surface implementation is that it allows us to make our setup work how we want to rather than rely on the REAPER devs. I think your issue is rather that you presume that "writing mobile apps that do MIDI (or OSC to MIDI) require middleware, whether on OSX or Windows." Why would it? What platform are you using that is so incomplete, and why not ask the developers of that to improve their end? If you'd be coding for e.g. iOS, you have access to the CoreMIDI framework? That's not middleware... Also, you may write "mobile apps" on OS X on Windows, but that is not where you run them.

So I'm just a bit more confused now.
Quote:
If you say that you don't subscribe to the fact that OSC is the future of MIDI then why are we all here, since OSC cannot do a single thing that MIDI can't
That's an entirely different discussion. And I think it is a nice theorem, but pretty worthless in practice until I can buy OSC keyboards in every music shop, and there is an OSC equivalent for every MIDI feature in REAPER and similar apps. I haven't yet forgotten that for the last five years or so that I've used REAPER, there was no OSC support at all, except for the last few weeks.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #467
daxliniere

Hey guys,
I bought an iPad (1st gen) and I'll be honest, OSC seems to be having problems.

I have had it working twice now, but then it will suddenly stop working without any changes to the system or settings.

At the moment TouchOSC will receive messages, but REAPER can't receive anything.
The listen window shows no activity at the moment, despite TouchOSC being set to the correct IP and port settings.

EDIT: Even followed this guide in case there was something I'd missed: http://seangoresht.com/index.php/tut...osc-and-reaper

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dax.

Last edited by daxliniere; 03-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #468
captain_caveman

Quote:
What platform are you using that is so incomplete, and why not ask the developers of that to improve their end? If you'd be coding for e.g. iOS, you have access to the CoreMIDI framework? That's not middleware... Also, you may write "mobile apps" on OS X on Windows, but that is not where you run them.
I wasn't aware that iOS could send MIDI directly to a MIDI port on OSX. That's interesting.

I use Windows and Android though, and that requires an app to be started on Windows that receives on a port that the app is sending wrapped MIDI packets on from the device. In the Windows app you then tell it what port to send the MIDI out on, which is a Virtual MIDI Port so that the application (Reaper) can here them.

So the people with the incomplete platforms are Google and Microsoft. I think we can end all conversation about me contacting them to ask them to get together and implement anything anytime soon.

As far as the application/driver running on the PC is concerned, rtpMIDI uses Bonjour and I have no idea how that works or how to send MIDI to it. I see there is an OSC-MIDI thing for Java out there too, but the end result for users is that they need to install and configure X, Y and Z to run a simple app.

This may not be the case for iOS + OSX, but it is for the vast majority of computer users in the world and also for the majority of smart phone users.

In terms of a standard for sending note information over OSC, there is already a standard called MIDI, eg /MIDIShizzleFollowing/1 STANDARDMIDIMESSAGE.. While this wouldn't be quite as nice as a simple Reaper implementation (eg) /MIDIShizzleFollowing/NoteOn 1 64 127 (1 for port), it would cut out the PITA factor for users.

I hope that's a bit clearer.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #469
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hey guys,

I have had it working twice now, but then it will suddenly stop working without any changes to the system or settings.[...]
Any thoughts?
Make sure you are plugged into a power outlet to keep the device's wifi active (otherwise, by default, it will attempt to conserve power and switch wifi off, after 15 minutes afaik).
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #470
Banned

Quote:
I hope that's a bit clearer.
Yes, I think it is quite a bit clearer to me now, thanks.

If I try to describe it in my own words, I think you want: a virtual MIDI input *in REAPER* to which we can send MIDI, wrapped in OSC messages. REAPER will unwrap the messages to plain MIDI again, and treat the stream of messages as a MIDI input port, just like the existing 'real' MIDI input ports. Does that describe what you meant accurately enough?

Quote:
So the people with the incomplete platforms are Google and Microsoft. I think we can end all conversation about me contacting them to ask them to get together and implement anything anytime soon.

As far as the application/driver running on the PC is concerned, rtpMIDI uses Bonjour and I have no idea how that works or how to send MIDI to it. [...]

Google may be up for it, it could be a neat GSOC project for some music minded coding talents.

Bonjour is supposed to be 'zero configuration wireless networking' and afaik Apple care a lot about having it work well on Windows too (for all the iTunes / iPod / iOS device users on Windows). Don't dismiss it too easily.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #471
daxliniere

Quote:
Make sure you are plugged into a power outlet to keep the device's wifi active (otherwise, by default, it will attempt to conserve power and switch wifi off, after 15 minutes afaik).
Ahh, thanks Banned, now I have something to go off.
It seems there is something called "Persistent WiFi" which was added to iOS 4 and subsequently removed.
It also seems to have been only included for the WiFi-only (non-3G) iPads.
There must be a jailbreak app out there somewhere that will allow me to force persistent WiFi on iOS 5.

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #472
Subz

Quote:
Ahh, thanks Banned, now I have something to go off.
It seems there is something called "Persistent WiFi" which was added to iOS 4 and subsequently removed.
It also seems to have been only included for the WiFi-only (non-3G) iPads.
There must be a jailbreak app out there somewhere that will allow me to force persistent WiFi on iOS 5.

Cheers!

another thing to check is that you are not getting allocated new ip Addresses by your wifi router when you disconnect/reconnect

from time to time the ip of both my DAW & iPhone change on the home network (for me its mostly related to when i reboot/power off my router)

Subz
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #473
Banned

Quote:
Definitely. Insomnia, for example.

TouchOSC also has a setting to keep sending pings, btw.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #474
Subz

my screen & Wifi stay on when TouchOSC is running? (iPhone)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #475
Banned

Quote:
my screen & Wifi stay on when TouchOSC is running? (iPhone)
Such tweaks are primarily intended for keeping network active when the screen goes off. Not much use while controlling the touch screen, but useful to keep it alive and still conserve power. And absolutely awesome for wireless use with accelerometer.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #476
captain_caveman

Quote:
Yes, I think it is quite a bit clearer to me now, thanks.

If I try to describe it in my own words, I think you want: a virtual MIDI input *in REAPER* to which we can send MIDI, wrapped in OSC messages. REAPER will unwrap the messages to plain MIDI again, and treat the stream of messages as a MIDI input port, just like the existing 'real' MIDI input ports. Does that describe what you meant accurately enough?
Almost... rather than sending plain ol' MIDI, it would be better to send /MIDIMessage/(Port)1/NoteOn/64/127 for example, rather than doing it the MIDI way. Either way of course would be great though.
Quote:

Google may be up for it, it could be a neat GSOC project for some music minded coding talents.

Bonjour is supposed to be 'zero configuration wireless networking' and afaik Apple care a lot about having it work well on Windows too (for all the iTunes / iPod / iOS device users on Windows). Don't dismiss it too easily.
Yes, everything is possible but in terms of hoops to jump through/things to install/update/run the less the better.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #477
Banned

Quote:
Almost... rather than sending plain ol' MIDI, it would be better to send /MIDIMessage/(Port)1/NoteOn/64/127 for example, rather than doing it the MIDI way. Either way of course would be great though.
Gotcha. And yes, that would be pretty neat, and probably not too hard to implement. +1.
Quote:
Yes, everything is possible but in terms of hoops to jump through/things to install/update/run the less the better.
Indeed. In my case, I'm currently trying to concentrate all that in one piece of middleware. Btw, I haven't looked very closely at Android yet, but it seems one big hoop to jump trough compared to iOS development. But I definitely see the need for it - I'm currently using Pd instead of Max/MSP too, and jumping thru hoops can be quite fun if you like the whole code circus thing.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #478
daxliniere

Quote:
Hey guys,
I have had it working twice now, but then it will suddenly stop working without any changes to the system or settings.
I'm currently using Neyrinck V-Control Free without ANY problems. Though transfer speeds aren't very fast, setup is a total breeze using Ney-Fi. My studio PC was detected instantly by my iPad and I've had no dropouts, which leads me to believe there's an issue with the Windows TouchOSC Bridge. I'm going to contact RJ @ Hexler about it.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #479
daxliniere

I had an interesting feature request idea, but it would require an upgrade to the TouchOSC software.

Currently, TouchOSC colours are fixed and set by the layout's designer.
It would be WONDERFUL if TouchOSC would inherit fader/channel colours from the host.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #480
daxliniere

Another feature request:

It would be great if you could create a new knob type which acts like a fader. Instead of wasting the screen real-estate of a small device with faders that stretch over a large portion of a screen, they could be replaced by a new type.
It would look like a simple circle, much like the current rotary controls as far as level indication goes, except that it would have the "linear knob" type of behaviour that modern DAWs use for plugin knob control (where you click the knob, then move your mouse along the vertical axis).
Imagine having an entire mixer of 32 channels all available on one page.