Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #81
g8torcliff
Human being with feelings

+1

I appreciate the work you guys put into these. Sharing them would be great, if possible.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #82
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Doh. Commas are supposed to work, but I broke that at some point. Fixing for next build.

FYI it's of the form <Command>TrackID,TrackID,TrackID where track ID can be a number (1), a range (1-10), an exact name (Guitar), or a filter (*synth*). E.g. S*synth*,*atlantis*,*moog*,*roland*.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #83
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europanaut View Post
Mainly due to assigning the buttons again.
You can save your configured menus into a .ReaperMenuSet file - this includes all the custom toolbars as well.

Then you need to save reaconsole_customcommands.txt, and run the "SWS: Edit console custom commands (restart needed after save)" command on another computer.

But before all that, you need to save all your keybindings to a .ReaperKeyMap file, then load it to the other computer.

There you go, custom buttons transfered.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #84
carbon

Default Colors

This is also possible

Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #85
EvilDragon

Carbon, VERY MUCH AWESOME!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #86
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
This is also possible

Mmmmhm, that's nice

Guess I'll need more tabs on the toolbars (I'd need two of those for items and tracks - It would really be good if we could somehow customize context sensitivity into actions)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #87
EvilDragon

I still think that just one floating toolbar with all icons having editable context is the way to go. Set all icons on one toolbar, edit which shows where, finito.

And might I ask the exact color codes (RGB) you used for those 16 custom colors, carbon? And can you post the icons, please?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #88
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Carbon, VERY MUCH AWESOME!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Mmmmhm, that's nice

Guess I'll need more tabs on the toolbars (I'd need two of those for items and tracks - It would really be good if we could somehow customize context sensitivity into actions)
Yeah, two tabs for basically the same purpose is overkill.
It would help, if the actions would work relative to where I lift/right clicked last.

So when clicking on a track, the colors would apply to the selected track(s).

And when clicking on items or marquee-selecting them it would color the items.

Seems logical?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #89
EvilDragon

Quote:
Seems logical?
Of course it seems logical. I think you could do it with ReaScript, perhaps.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #90
carbon

Quote:
And might I ask the exact color codes (RGB) you used for those 16 custom colors, carbon? And can you post the icons, please?
Here they are - color sets (the one used here is "Medium_All"), toolbar, icons.
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/242977/color_sets.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/242978/color_icons.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/242979/colors_toolbar.zip

There are some colors that I might change though - the top row is fairly smooth but there are gaps in colors at the bottom row.

But as you may have noticed changing the colors is a pain, so I might also settle with these

EDIT: Actually it might be easier to make the color icons first, using the "Inkscape Theme Template" method and then edit the Color Set file in notepad to fill in correct values.
As the standard Windows color selecting panel is clumsy to use.

Last edited by carbon; 11-19-2009 at 02:29 AM.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #91
EvilDragon

Quote:
So when clicking on a track, the colors would apply to the selected track(s).

And when clicking on items or marquee-selecting them it would color the items.

Seems logical?
YES! I did it, with a little help from Xenakios (thanks Xen!)

Now you can have context sensitive color buttons! If you have only items selected, it will color them. If you have only tracks selected, it will color them. If you have both selected, it will color both!

PREREQUISITE #1: In Properties->Appearance->Media tab, DEACTIVATE "Tint media item peaks to custom track colors" and "Tint backgrounds to custom track colors"

PREREQUISITE #2: You have to have Python or Perl installed for ReaScripts to work. This example uses Python!

PREREQUISITE #3: You need to have SWS extensions as well.

STEP #1: place the following scripts to /%appdata%/REAPER/Scripts folder (on Windows!) - Attachment 6529

STEP #2: load these actions in Reaper - Attachment 6530

STEP #3: place the following icons to REAPER/Data/toolbar_icons folder - Attachment 6531 (newer version of icons: Attachment 6538)

STEP #4: load this custom toolbar to whichever toolbar you like - Attachment 6532

RESULT:

KNOWN ISSUES:

1. "Random 1" icon (1st row last icon) works well if you have only items selected or only tracks selected. If you have several tracks selected, and any items that reside on those tracks are selected (items inside track selection), it also works. BUT - if you have any item selected OUTSIDE of the track selection, the outside-of-selection item will not be colored. Consequently, if you have several items selected, and a track selected outside of that item selection, the non-selected tracks inside the items selection will not be colored, as well as inside selected items.

This is limitation of "Set selected item(s) color to respective track color" action.

If I didn't use that command, selected tracks and selected items would get colored to two different colors, which is not real intention of the "Set selected to one random color" command.

2. There is no "Set selected tracks to default color" command!!! This prevents me from doing a simple macro that would color all selected tracks/items back to default! JCS, please add this action!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 12-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #92
EvilDragon

Carbon how did you do these icons? Inkscape?

Would you please try to make the same set you made, but with the 3rd state depressed, similar to WT icons? If you can? I'd really like to have that pressed state, so we can at least see that we pressed the button!

I can provide my random rainbow colored icon in .PDF, but that's not helping much I guess.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #93
carbon

Quote:
Carbon how did you do these icons? Inkscape?

Would you please try to make the same set you made, but with the 3rd state depressed, similar to WT icons? If you can? I'd really like to have that pressed state, so we can at least see that we pressed the button!

I can provide my random rainbow colored icon in .PDF, but that's not helping much I guess.
These were just quick fills with GIMP for testing purposes
I have some spare time later tonight to throw together something.

I think the most visible solution would be to have a white border around the selected color.
I tried also coloring with right-click arming the color - works quite well.

BTW: It's great that you did the scripts - haven't yet been able to test them, but seems promising.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #94
EvilDragon

Promising? They are working as we speak!

Hm... I thought more of a "pressed" look that WT does (for consistency)... however, whichever you do will be fine! If icons could be of same shape which WT uses, that would be +10000 to consistency
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #95
NAS

Quote:
I still think that just one floating toolbar with all icons having editable context is the way to go. Set all icons on one toolbar, edit which shows where, finito.

Asked schwa if we could have this in IRC last night
Got no reply hahahahah

NAS
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #96
EvilDragon

It will be there, eventually - we must not be too boring and nagging about it. I'm confident they're gonna do it, sooner or later! Just voting (around 30 more votes!) to make this FR a Popular Request is gonna make it higher priority!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #97
EvilDragon

BTW carbon, I'm on it!

I found a blank WT icon, and I'm using Fill Layer in Photoshop, which uses your RGB codes, and blends with desaturated WT icon in Soft Light mode - looks awesome!

Will post all icons when done!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #98
EvilDragon

Icons are DONE!

These have a wtX prefix, where X is number from 1-16, rand1, randall.

Now it looks like THIS:

Download: SetColor_Icons_WTmod.zip

EDIT: updated the archive with new rand1 and randall icons, these now show better "pressed" state (the letters move too, which is a nifty little effect!)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 11-19-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #99
Kainer

Anyone knows why this scripts aren´t working on my mac?

import warnings; gives an error.

Did I import something wrong or is it a mac/windows thing?

Evil-D, thanx for your efforts. I used your described steps and downloads (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=91). But import warnings; gives an error.
In each script.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #100
EvilDragon

You need to have Python installed... I don't know anything about MAC and how to work it, sorry. Maybe someone else can help, though.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #101
Kainer

Hvala prijatelj!

Python is installed correctly.
Someone with a mac and the time to test this great toolbarbutton idea (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=91)
could please do me a favour and check if this is working on the mac?

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #102
carbon

Quote:
YES! I did it, with a little help from Xenakios (thanks Xen!)
Tested it a bit. Generally works ok, but some strangeness - this might be user error though

1) when importing the toolbar (menu set) REAPER refuses to import to other toolbars except Toolbar 2, should import anywhere I think.

2) The colors are shifted (first color isn't red, but orange).

3) Color 16 opens up "SWS Track List" instead

4) Rand All makes a "SWS Color Gradient instead

5) When clicking on items to color them also the track becomes colored, when marquee selectin, it works as expected (I guess this is a limitation of how REAPER activates each track).

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #103
gofer
-blänk-

Can Kainer's problems be related to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios
...take into consideration the command numbers are dynamic. Changes in Reaper or the extensions may make your script behave wrong if you put in hardcoded numbers for the command. That's what I meant there's no predictable way for ReaScripts to call extension plugin provided actions.
?

Which version of Python do I need? Is there a thread about how to set things up for using ReaScripts?

I sort of hesitate. I have no idea about Python and Pearl, but as things are looking I believe users who want to benefit from the new coding flood will have to have both installed?

Wouldn't it be smarter if Python/Pearl based scripts could be compiled somehow as a last step, so the user wouldn't have to install additional stuff if he only wants to use, but not script? If that thought is idiotic, just tell me so I'm a complete know-nothing in that area. Just thinking it's a bit inconvenient now for the simple user.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #104
EvilDragon

Quote:
1) when importing the toolbar (menu set) REAPER refuses to import to other toolbars except Toolbar 2, should import anywhere I think.
This is because it's written in the MenuSet file - [Floating Toolbar 2]

I haven't tried what happens if the number gets removed. EDIT: nothing, it will not import. I see this as a current limitation. You have to have [Floating Toolbar x] in the MenuSet file, and it is fixed! SUGGESTION TO COCKOS: when exporting floating toolbars, just put [Floating Toolbar] in the MenuSet file, and dynamically change it to whichever toolbar the file gets imported in.

I knew I was right only ONE floating toolbar would've been better - then the icons would simply be added on the list, without this hassle!

Quote:
2) The colors are shifted (first color isn't red, but orange).

3) Color 16 opens up "SWS Track List" instead

4) Rand All makes a "SWS Color Gradient instead
This is the reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios
...take into consideration the command numbers are dynamic. Changes in Reaper or the extensions may make your script behave wrong if you put in hardcoded numbers for the command. That's what I meant there's no predictable way for ReaScripts to call extension plugin provided actions.
You need to change the command numbers in each script

Quote:
5) When clicking on items to color them also the track becomes colored, when marquee selectin, it works as expected (I guess this is a limitation of how REAPER activates each track).
This is intentional. If you have a track and an item selected, they both get colored. If you have ONLY track selected, only the track will get colored. If you have ONLY items selected, only items will get colored. Except with Random All, that one works a bit weird when selections are different, as I explained above.

@Gofer - I have ActivePython 3.1.1.2.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 11-20-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #105
gofer
-blänk-

Tried your installation to the point with not too much luck. My toolbar shows them as text buttons, though your icons do show in the "select icon" window. Is this normal? Colors don't change on clicking any of the toolbar buttons. I can run your scripted actions from the action window alright, but like Kainer they seem to be heavily mixed up.

I added some of your scripted buttons by hand to another toolbar and this way they work (though still mixed up). Have I done something wrong when importing the menu file? (I opened toolbar 2 in the menu editor, hit import and directed to your *.ReaperMenu file)

I'll happily edit the scripts to reflect the extension action ID's on my system and build the toolbar myself, but thought I mention my problems anyway. Would be nice if Cockos could do something about the ID issue.

All that said, when it works (and I sure get it to ) this is a very cool thing. Thanks for this

YESSS got it working the manual way (including DIYing the toolbar). Very cool.

Last edited by gofer; 11-20-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #106
EvilDragon

Yeah, you just need to change the action ID numbers in all the scripts, then you should be fine.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #107
gofer
-blänk-

Btw, EvilDragon: There is an action to set track colors to default,
For some reason it is called: "Track: Remove track colors"
I indeed managed to tweak one of your scripts to set selected item and/or track to default. Boy, I feel like a real big bad hacker now
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #108
Europanaut

Question.

Every time I import a modified keymap file, It merges with the existing keymap, rather than replace it. This means that I get duplicates of actions. The new one containing a (2) at the end of the name.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Euro
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #109
Europanaut

If I get a mix from a client, and he uses my reaconsole track naming convention for his wavs, can Reaper automatically import them into the appropriate tracks in my mix template? (My track names are already entered into the template, of course.)

Now THAT would save some time.

Euro
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #110
EvilDragon

Quote:
Btw, EvilDragon: There is an action to set track colors to default,
For some reason it is called: "Track: Remove track colors"
I indeed managed to tweak one of your scripts to set selected item and/or track to default. Boy, I feel like a real big bad hacker now
Thanks for the info! Now I can make context-sensitive color-defaulting button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europanaut View Post
Every time I import a modified keymap file, It merges with the existing keymap, rather than replace it. This means that I get duplicates of actions. The new one containing a (2) at the end of the name.

Suggestions?
Just go to your %username&/%appdata%/REAPER directory (Windows), and find a file named reaper-kb.ini.

Open it in Notepad, and delete the offending actions which have (2) in their name! (search for string (2) and off you go!)
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #111
Susan G

Quote:
Yeah, you just need to change the action ID numbers in all the scripts, then you should be fine.
Works like a charm -- thanks very much for this!

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #112
EvilDragon

When Cockos makes a way for us scripters to explicitly call a certain action (in-built or extension), then I'll update all the scripts and post the update here again

Glad you're liking it!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #113
gofer
-blänk-

Liking it is understatement. This is one big wish from the list for me. Just like the good old Logic color picker. Hurray

What else is possible concerning context sensitivity? Would there be a way to test whether the selected items are MIDI or audio and use a different split method (eg split at prev zero crossing for audio and split at cursor for MIDI items) for different item categories in one swoosh?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #114
EvilDragon

Quote:
Would there be a way to test whether the selected items are MIDI or audio and use a different split method (eg split at prev zero crossing for audio and split at cursor for MIDI items) for different item categories in one swoosh?
Xen would know. I'm not so proficient with ReaScript API, yet.

However I like using split at cursor at all times
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #115
gofer
-blänk-

Duh!
I just noticed that I can have the same color button behaviour without script by just combining eg "Set selected item to custom color 1" with "Set selected track to custom color 1" in a custom action (for each color).
Works identically, though I haven't tried to rebuild your random color scripts.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #116
Mercado_Negro

Do you know what's hilarious? Toolbar behaves like any window: 'ESC' key closes it....

<sigh>

This defeats the purpose imo:

Old 11-21-2009, 01:34 AM   #117
carbon

Quote:
Duh!
I just noticed that I can have the same color button behaviour without script by just combining eg "Set selected item to custom color 1" with "Set selected track to custom color 1" in a custom action (for each color).
Doesn't that color both, the track and the item simultaneously, not allowing to choose which you want to color?
I tried that before and this is what I got.

EDIT: aaah, true I tried to click on the item which selects the track also.
It would be ideal for me if it'd be possible to click on an item to color it and click on a track to do the same independently.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #118
EvilDragon

Quote:
It would be ideal for me if it'd be possible to click on an item to color it and click on a track to do the same independently.
You do that with right-click marquee for the items.

And damn, gofer, don't tell me I wrote those scripts for no reason! ARGH!!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #119
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Do you know what's hilarious? Toolbar behaves like any window: 'ESC' key closes it....

<sigh>

This defeats the purpose imo:
I remember reading that docking the floating toolbar is something on the to do list (we rarely get to know what is on the future to do list, and that is not necessarily a bad thing).

I say wouldn't it be nice to not have to use templates and NAS goes ahead and does it. As long as I have known Reaper I still have holes in my knowledge of what it can do. Like the Prego of DAWs, it's in there.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #120
EvilDragon

I replaced my scripts with custom macros

Now waiting for this to happen and Color Picker Toolbar is going to v2.0!