Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper in Linux : browse files in removable media?

I think this was mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it now. Reaper - or many other apps, for the matter - can only browse things in the Linux file system. Is there a reasonably easy way to grant Reaper, or any other app (be it integranted in the Desktop, an executable Appimage, whatever...) acceso to any other device in the computer? That is, to be able to browse files in a secondary partition, a removable device, etc...

Thanks in Advance!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
JamesPeters

I just tried getting ReaSamploMatic5000 and media explorer to see/load files on a USB stick, and it works.

You browse back to "/", then open "media", then open "(your username)", and you'll see the names of the removable drives. Open the drive you want to use.

The USB stick was formatted without special encryption, as FAT. However I could probably use any drive in this way, as long as the logged-in user has the right to access the drive (based on the assigned permissions and if Reaper is installed in a user directory).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the tip, James!! At first, I didn't see anything in the /media/user/ folder. Then I realized I had to mount the volumes beforehand to get the access to them (!). Those little details which, although simple, one cannot easily realize when coming from Windows...

The only detail derived from this question would be : can applications run via wine gain the same access? I try with Foobar but it doesn't seem to work. Do you know hot to grant wine apps access to all the devices, including the CD-rom drive?
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Correct, the drives have to be mounted. I have it set so that if a removable drive is plugged in, it's automatically mounted. That's the default setting in Ubuntu (and Xubuntu).

Sorry but I don't use Wine or any kind of bridging at all. I only use native Linux software and plugins.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
The only detail derived from this question would be : can applications run via wine gain the same access? I try with Foobar but it doesn't seem to work. Do you know hot to grant wine apps access to all the devices, including the CD-rom drive?
The answer is yes...Wine can definitely gain the same access. You just need to navigate outside of the wine folder tree to your regular filesystem.
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote