Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Eyrelight
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper to Pro Tools "gotchas" for post sound (AATranslator)

I am about to dive head first into fully sound editing a short film in Reaper but will need to deliver the film in Pro Tools.

What are the main things that can go wrong that will bite me in the ass later during the AATranslator process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2mKlQ4B7Y

I watched this video with Vijay Rathunam and he mentions a few things like keeping your mono and stereo tracks separate and making sure mono tracks use the balance panner and stereo tracks use dual pan. But he also says to use clip pan on stereo items and render beforehand while using track pan on mono tracks, but I'm not sure why.

Anything else I need to be aware of? A checklist would be ideal. I want my Reaper experience to be as creative as possible without worrying about all the little things that will drive me up the wall down the line.

Any other good videos/threads/articles about this process welcome.
Eyrelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
analogexplosions

I'd recommend picking up Xraym's premium scripts for Reaper to PT conversion here:

https://www.extremraym.com/en/downlo...-attranslator/

These basically take anything in your project that'll conflict with Pro Tools and select them so you can export them as a new take. They are pretty comprehensive, and I've had good success with them so far. This will find anything that has pitch/timing adjustments, accidental short clips hiding underneath edits, items with Take FX, etc.

For most all FX work, you're going to want to do as "take fx" and render each item as a new take as you go, since the re-recording mix is going to be done in PT and none of your plugins will translate to PT.

If you're working in surround, you're going to want to reroute most everything to PT's surround channel order, which is different than pretty much every other application's. So instead of SMPTE routing (L,R,C,LFE,Ls,Rs), you'll want it to be in Film order (L,C,R,Ls,Rs,LFE).

Definitely keep mono/stereo/surround tracks separate. PT won't know how to handle tracks with mixed channel count items.

It feels kinda like working with an arm tied behind your back when you're working in Reaper knowing that its going to have to go through Pro Tools, but it can be done. Hopefully Reaper catches on with enough mixers someday that this will no longer be an issue!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
Runaway

@analogexplosions - excellent reply
Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
airon

Thumbs up for X-Rayms scripts. I've used them a bunch of times now for passing edits done in Reaper to mixers working in Protools.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Eyrelight

This was really great information. Thanks so much.

I have a question about rendering audio in Reaper, though.

Once the script points out all of the items that need rendering, how exactly do I do that? I'm noticing that Reaper doesn't exactly have "AudioSuite" style rendering which I'm super surprised by.

I simply want to render an item's take FX into a new item hopefully with handles. What is the best way to do this so the AATranslator process is as smooth as possible?
Eyrelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
analogexplosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyrelight View Post
This was really great information. Thanks so much.

I have a question about rendering audio in Reaper, though.

Once the script points out all of the items that need rendering, how exactly do I do that? I'm noticing that Reaper doesn't exactly have "AudioSuite" style rendering which I'm super surprised by.

I simply want to render an item's take FX into a new item hopefully with handles. What is the best way to do this so the AATranslator process is as smooth as possible?

You'll be running the action to "render item to new take" in the actions list. The scripts will select the relevant files and you'll run that action to render all of the selected takes.

I haven't found a way to get handles when rendering items as a new take, maybe that could actually be macro'd together, I just haven't taken the time to try it yet. Maybe a macro would look something like this:

1) Grow both item edges by 48 frames (maybe could be set with a saved nudge value?)
2) render item as new take
3) shrink both item edges by 48 frames

I'll play around here in a bit and see what I can come up with. I really have been meaning to try something like this before anyway.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:27 AM   #7
andrescoca

How do you deal with items of a different sampling rate/bit depth? If there are many, exporting and replacing one by one is not an option.

Thanks
andrescoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
andrescoca

Alistair S answered on a different thread:

Right-clicking an item and "render as new take" will render to the project sample rate and make the new take active.

Also, read this thread:

Reaper to Pro Tools conversion workflow using AAtranslator
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216705
andrescoca is offline   Reply With Quote