Old 09-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Commala
Human being with feelings

Default Reason to Reaper Rewire Track Templates

Hello, a few weeks back I was hit with something we all dread - a bricked hard-drive. I lost some data, nothing serious, but my Rewire track template was one of the things I had forgotten to back up. Earlier on I remember thinking: I should share this with people on the internet. If I had done that, it would have saved me hours rebuilding it. Or I could have simply backed up, but then you would not get the benefit, because I'm choosing to follow through with that original impulse and share my template here now.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28514/Reas...20and%20FX.zip

To install: place the Reaper track template in the Reaper track template folder, and the Reason project file in Reason's project template folder. I prefer to disable "auto-open panels when opening Rewire devices" in Reaper's preferences.

Load the track template in Reaper, click on the Reason FX-plugin on the track "Rewire" (hereafter referred to as the Rewire plug-in), and click "Show panel"

Reason will open. Load the "Rewire - Instruments and FX (empty)" template within Reason.

Select instrument presets and go to town.

=============

If you use Reason you'll know it can be something of a pain to use it Rewired as a slave to another DAW. I started out on Reason, and when I switched to Reaper I found myself missing my secret weapons. This template tries to minimize the hassle of running two DAWs in parallel, and it works like this:

- two components, a Reaper track template and a Reason project file

- In Reaper, 28 midi instrument tracks pre-routed, with 28 corresponding audio tracks alongside, along with some folder tracks, a track to host the Rewire plug-in, and some others. This template does not use feedback routing and therefore has separate Reaper tracks for midi and audio

- The Reason template file is pre-routed with instruments loaded but in a default state. This is useful to save time routing the midi from Reaper to Reason, and the corresponding audio back from Reason to your tracks in Reaper.

This template is routed for the following:

- 12 combinators
- 8 Thor
- 4 Malmstrom
- 4 Subtractor

This is done in order to work around a quirk with the way Reason assigns midi busses. If you have routed a particular instrument in the Rewire device in Reaper, such as Thor, you may change the patches in Thor and the midi buss assignment made by Reason to that instrument remains the same. Therefore the Rewire device continues to send midi to the right place in Reason, which is the initial midi buss assignment you made. However, if you change the instrument type in Reason, that instrument will get a new midi buss, causing the Rewire device in Reaper to "lose" the device, and have to be re-routed. In many Reason projects there can be hundreds of Rewire destinations, so finding the correct one to route the midi to from Reaper is time consuming. So the template is pre-routed with a variety of instrument types to avoid this. It is less flexible, but a necessary compromise.

I mostly pre-routed combinators and synths because these are the ones most often needing to be directly automated. I would load Kongs or Redrums within the combinators.

To automate the Reason instruments, each midi track in Reaper has JSFX which control a particular type of instrument. Some people may prefer to simply use Reason's own automation and therefore use the two sequencers side by side. I prefer to use Reaper's sequencer exclusively. Therefore it is necessary to provide these JSFX so that the Reason devices can be automated from within Reaper. The JSFX send the appropriate midi CC that each instrument type in Reason expects for their individual control layouts.

============

In normal usage, the Reason master section is completely bypassed, the only active routings are the midi tracks to the Rewire plug-in in Reaper, and the audio from Reason distributed to the audio tracks in Reaper.

However, you'll notice that the Reason template has a number of send FX loaded:

- 4 RV7000
- 1 Echo
- 1 Send ducker
- 1 send named "dry signal"

These last two are explained further in a moment. This template allows you to use the FX section in Reason, which are passed to Reason's master section and sent to the Reaper track called "FX 63/64". In normal usage this means that the instrument audio is sent discretely and individually to Reaper, and the FX returns in Reason are summed to one audio track (Reason's master output). You could also route the FX returns from Reason to individual audio tracks in the Rewire plug-in, but as Reason has a maximum of 64 audio outputs I decided to maximize the number of instruments instead.

In practice this works well enough - if you want to have more control over an individual send FX in Reason you can do so in Reason itself.

The last two "send FX" in Reason require further explanation. I'll skip the send ducker for now. The send named "dry signal" is simply routed directly into Reason's FX return, allowing you to route any and all instruments to Reason's master section, and from there to "FX 63/64". In this case, you would want to mute the audio track for that instrument in Reaper. The purpose of this is to use the master FX section (including the master compressor) on the whole mix if you choose, just as if you were working solely in Reason, but more importantly to use three FX combinators I've included: Cycleon, Complexator, and Tape Stop.

It's preferable to place these in the master FX chain like I've done, so that they can work on the FX returns also - while it is possible to simply place these effects after an individual instrument in Reason and retain the discrete audio track, rather than summing to "FX 63/64", the the way I've done is more flexible (if you want to mix completely in Reaper but still run some instruments through these FX, simply engage the "dry signal" sends for the desired tracks in Reason and render the audio out from "FX 63/64". Then you can return to mixing the audio on separate tracks in Reaper by disengaging those "dry signal" sends).

Cycleon is a beat juggler by Kurt Kurasaki aka Peff

http://blog.line6.com/2010/propeller...eason-cycleon/

Quote:
The main features of CycleOn include Tempo Synchronized Loop Playback; crossfading between two loops; auto-synchronized start and stop; loop start re-triggering effects; delay based audio juggling; a dual stage beat repeater effect; and one-click effect initiator buttons. The controls are programmed to be used in a live situation, and when used in conjunction with a control surface, CycleOn patches form the foundation of a compelling performance piece.
Complexator is a multi-FX unit, with the following keys assigned to trigger the FX (Middle C is C4):
C1 - Tape stop C#1 - Retrigger D1 - Ringmod D#1 - Comb filter E1 - Bitcrush
F1 - Bandpass F#1 - Reverse G1 - Stretch G#1 - Pulv res A#1 - Pitch shift
B1 - FS Low compensation

Tape stop is self-explanatory.

Each of these FX can be controlled with a dedicated midi track in Reaper, in the folder called "FX control"

The send ducker is mostly a holdover from before I learned to do the same thing in Reaper. This is a method for ducking tracks using sends that I learned from a man named Giles Reeves. I've since replicated the functionality in Reaper, but I decided to include it here nonetheless. In the configuration I've included in the template, the ducker works by receiving a CV gate signal from the instrument doing the ducking (e.g. the bassdrum). The following instruments are capable of sending a CV gate out: Redrum, Dr Octo Rex, Thor, Matrix, the arpeggiator, and Alligator (I think that's all of them)
This covers most use cases of ducking tracks with a drum instrument of some kind: simply wire the gate out CV from the ducking instrument into one of the CV ins on the Spider Merger/splitter device called "Ducker in 1", just below the send ducker combinator. To duck tracks, engage the send ducker send for that track and adjust the send volume to change the strength of the effect. It's like magic!
If you wish to use audio to trigger the duck instead of or in addition to CV gate, split the audio from each source device and wire it to the audio input of the compressor in the send ducker device. You might also want to mix multiple signals into this single input, using a Spider audio merger or similar.

=============

Links:

Cycleon by Peff http://www.peff.com/journal/2010/03/...inator-refill/

Reason JSFX controllers https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28513/Reas...ontrollers.zip

Midi Filter XL JSFX (blocks up to 28 CCs, plus other functions) https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28515/midi_Filter_XL
*based on Mabian's MIDI filter found here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=57957

Reason MIDI implementation chart http://www.manualguru.com/propellerh...entation-chart

There's an interesting thread here talking about sending Reason CV through Rewire http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=62754

Last edited by Commala; 10-31-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Commala

A few words on the control scheme in Reaper:

In Reason, devices are controlled by a protocol called "Remote", which works by selecting the instrument as a target in Reason's sequencer. This necessitates recording notes and automation into Reason's sequencer however, which is fine if you're using Reason stand-alone, but my preference is to use Reaper's sequencer exclusively. Therefore I have separate midi and audio tracks in Reaper for each Reason device, and I prefer to simply select the correct midi track in Reaper and have full control over the corresponding instrument or device in Reason.

This template is set up to accommodate this by including JSFX for controlling the Reason devices through midi mapping. Each device in Reason has a built-in midi implementation, and these JSFX send the appropriate midi CC that each instrument type in Reason expects for their individual control layouts, as explained above. You can automate these JSFX from within Reaper, or midi learn these JSFX however you choose from your controller. The JSFX control plugins ensure that the appropriate CC are sent to each type of device, and this allows you to keep your MIDI controller on the same mapping and avoid that issue.

If you choose to midi learn these JSFX, there is another issue to keep in mind: it is necessary to block the CC sent from your controller and replace it with that sent from the JSFX. Say your controller is sending CC74 on channel 1. If you midi learn your fader to the JSFX, that JSFX may send CC109 to control an ADSR for example. However, the initial CC74 message will also be sent and may simultaneously control the filter. The best way to handle this redundant data being sent would obviously be for the JSFX to be coded such that they replace the midi stream, however for now they aren't set up that way. Therefore I recommend mapping your controller so that all your controls are being sent through a separate port, or on a separate channel. I have mine set up so that all faders, controllers and buttons are sent on channel 2 by default. Therefore none of that data gets sent to Reason, only what is passed by the JSFX.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that at this time there are no JSFX to control many of the devices in Reason, only the primary ones. I've uploaded my own formatted versions of those that exist here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28513/Reas...ontrollers.zip

Therefore, if you switch your instance of Thor to another instrument as I mentioned earlier, you'll need to change the JSFX controller on that midi track in Reason to automate it. If there is no JSFX controller for that instrument (like pretty well any REs or Kong), things get tricky. As I stated, every device in Reason has it's own MIDI map hard-coded, the JSFX controllers are sending those CCs and presenting a midi-learnable control in Reaper, so that you don't need to switch control maps on your hardware controller. If there is no JSFX controller you could alternately use a CC mapper to convert the CCs from your controller into the CCs that Reason expects for each device. You'll need to look up the Reason MIDI implementation chart.
For REs, the manual supplied by the RE dev should include a MIDI implementation chart.

I am currently working on some JSFX controllers for the new Reason 10 instruments

Last edited by Commala; 10-31-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:38 AM   #3
jemsoo7

Default Update for Reason 10

Hi! Thanks for your efforts. Any chance to have (even a beta) version of your files for reason 10, please. Thanks!
jemsoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote