Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #81
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Well at least I now know that I already have the piano included!

Got the download and ran the standalone version and it crashed and exited within about ten minutes of noodling....

I'll keep persevering though, as at first acquaintance the actual UI is light years better than the old one.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #82
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Well at least I now know that I already have the piano included!

Got the download and ran the standalone version and it crashed and exited within about ten minutes of noodling....

I'll keep persevering though, as at first acquaintance the actual UI is light years better than the old one.
It crashed? Weird. This is the first IK product I have ever had that has not given me a bit of problem (it's STILL behaving for me, and I've had it since release day!).
Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #83
ivansc

I am going to give it another go when I have put all the tools away, finished the six loads of washing and drying, walked the dogs, eaten supper......

Got back from France yesterday afternoon, so it was a very quick "go".
Could well be something dumb that I did.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #84
ivansc

(grin) FFS! I click on the standalone icon now and it no longer crashes.

It just does nothing at all!

Task manager shows nothing at all either.

So I guess it is time to uninstall and re-install in the hope that I will find what went wrong.

Nah, I just cant be arsed to jump through hoops again for IKMM when I have stuff like Kontakt that just works.

Decided to try it as a vsti in reaper before admitting defeat.

OK. Reaper 64bit in 64bit Win7.

rme hdsp9652 which works fine with everything else.
Project already recorded earlier in 44.1 24bit. Minimal plugin use. Drums - EZD, frozen. Everything else live instruments as wav files.
Add virtual instrument on new track - select sampletank3 32 I/O but tell it "no", to only do one stereo out.

Everything else works fine. Sampletank3 takes a while to get around to loading up the menu item for the piano and even longer to actually load it once I select the piano.

Plink around on the virtual keyboard with a mouse and it sounds like a piano of some sort put through a ring modulator.
Double check all project settings and decide to unload ST3.
Click on remove having highlighted ST3 inn the track panel.
Reaper whites out and stops working completely.
I am not even going to bother generating a crashlog, let alone post one here.

Sorry... but my IKMM experience is, as usual, shite.

At least I have the stuff I bought previously working OK now.

Small mercies.

Last edited by ivansc; 09-05-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #85
cprompt

Quote:
OK. Reaper 64bit in 64bit Win7.
but my IKMM experience is, as usual, shite.
Strange, I have the same setup as you and ST3 Free works just fine. I may not have a whole bunch of IK stuff (the CSR reverbs, SampleMoog and the usual SampleTank2/free stuff) and I've never had a problem with it.
cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #86
ivansc

I had a bit of an epic struggle with CSR and a couple of other things I bought while back - essentially I wound up having to pretend I bought one product and the upgrade to the thing I actually ought - then when the compulsory "upgrade" to custard Shop came along, it broke most of my stuff & it took folks on here and GS to get me sort of working. IKMM support were less than helpful, which is why I am now very wary of their software. For a long time the only way I could get the products I had bought to work in reaper was to ALWAYS run in Admin mode. Nasty.
And of course with this latest little go-around I am finally convinced they ARE out to get me.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #87
richie43

Quote:
I had a bit of an epic struggle with CSR and a couple of other things I bought while back - essentially I wound up having to pretend I bought one product and the upgrade to the thing I actually ought - then when the compulsory "upgrade" to custard Shop came along, it broke most of my stuff & it took folks on here and GS to get me sort of working. IKMM support were less than helpful, which is why I am now very wary of their software. For a long time the only way I could get the products I had bought to work in reaper was to ALWAYS run in Admin mode. Nasty.
And of course with this latest little go-around I am finally convinced they ARE out to get me.

I had the same issues as you with my 32bit synth stuff. In fact, it wouldn't run in 64bit Reaper at all. But the few other plugins (a few compressors, no Amplitube and no T-Racks) have always been fine. But I took the risk and bought the upgrade when I saw that it could (supposedly) import ALL of the sounds of the synths (that I could not use reliably) as well as the newer sounds, new interface, and 64bit-ness. I know that it was a risk given that my experiences were very similar to yours.... But I have not had a single blurp, bleep, or bad thing at all. I've even made a point to use it first for ANY synth need (if I can), so it is getting quite a bit of use, and even in some big projects. No problems yet!!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #88
ivansc

Slept on it and still wondering what is going wrong.

I think I probably need to forget bout it and concentrate on finishing the demos for my next magnum opus.....
Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #89
Peter - IK Multimedia

I know you aren't a fan of their past help, but I feel that if you are still interested in SampleTank 3 you might want to give our support team a crack at figuring this out since there are many that have it working quite well and I see above that someone even has a similar setup to yours with ST3 working. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
Peter - IK Multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #90
ivansc

Peter - I appreciate your offer of support help, but as you may recall I have something of a history of struggling with ST up to 2.5.

I am sorry to say that the few moments when I had the standalone working initially haven't encouraged me to persevere that hard to get it going properly.
I am planning on D/L'ing the other free instruments as they appear in the hope that I may get it al working right and in the meantime doing a complete, fresh download and install.
I already tried a simple uninstall/reinstall using the existing download and sadly when I did manage to get ST3 working (only as a vsti) the audio was completely mangled, as I said earlier.

With luck, maybe a re-download and clean reinstall will take care of things, but I am reluctant to take on IKMM support again. Not exactly a positive experience on the last go-round.
I SO want to like ST3 & be happy with my existing stuff (which admittedly now seems to be functioning as it should have all along) but as always it only takes one negative experience to undo years of positive ones.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #91
Firedance

Ok guys, well just to say that I grabbed the FREE version together with the sounds available so far (piano, bass, 3 x drum kits/percussion) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Don't use a huge lot of piano and wouldn't be super aware of nuances in sound but to me it sounds HIGHLY usable at the very least. The P bass will be a big help too - best free bass I've heard that's for sure.

I have SD so won't be overly interested in the kits but the bongo type thingies (whatever they're called?) sound good and will definitely get used.

I do vaguely remeber some issues with previous versions of Sampletank (free) but in fairness, the install etc for this has been painless and although I've only had a quick play, all functioning seamlessly so far.

IMO, for a freebie, thanks & praise definitely due to IKM for this one
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #92
cprompt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
Don't use a huge lot of piano and wouldn't be super aware of nuances in sound but to me it sounds HIGHLY usable at the very least. The P bass will be a big help too - best free bass I've heard that's for sure.
Run the P Bass through the SVT Classic amp for a mighty bass sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
IMO, for a freebie, thanks & praise definitely due to IKM for this one
Totally agree, the acoustic drums are fabulous, and I love the P bass a lot too. Thank you IK.
cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #93
Mivo

Thanks for the free version of ST3! I'll toy with it for a few days and see how it runs for me. Might pick up the boxed version from my retailer since it seems to be in stock now.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #94
Peter - IK Multimedia

Thanks for the kind words! If anybody is interested in T-RackS gear too, we posted a little teaser of one of the three pieces of gear coming next on our Facebook page and our IK forum. I can post here if people are interested...
Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #95
vidalsh

I´m running sampletank 3 x64 under reaper x64 and all works perfect...but I´ve 32GB of RAM...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #96
stratovarius

I've been curious about Sample Tank 3 too. I checked out their free piano additions and they seem pretty good. I find the ST2.5 GUI when used in VST mode can be wonky. It doesn't crash Reaper but it's quite CPU intensive I find.

I'm a bit leery of buying anything more from IKMM. See below.

Quote:
After all the bullshit and old-fashioned dissembling from IKMM camp, I for one have decided not to waste any more time or money on them.
I own a fair bit of their software, of which only Amplitube seems to work really reliably. Certainly still strugging with the Studio stuff I bought before the T-Racks Custom Shop ate everything.
Since I now have two or three amp sims that I like better, I don't see any point fighting their system, attitude towards customers and smug self-congratulatory manner when spamming various fora to promote their products any more.
Very interesting indeed. I've had some issues with IKMM myself. They can be downright rude at times and getting good support is a royal pain in the a**.

Can I ask what amp sims you've found that are better than Amplitube 3? I have pretty much their entire collection and for the most part like it. However, I find the VST can be very CPU consuming and some of the presets I create in Standalone mode can be buggy when used in VST mode. It's not my system either, as I've experienced the same issue on other machines and DAWs.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Last edited by stratovarius; 09-12-2014 at 05:06 PM.
stratovarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #97
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
Thanks for the kind words! If anybody is interested in T-RackS gear too, we posted a little teaser of one of the three pieces of gear coming next on our Facebook page and our IK forum. I can post here if people are interested...
I got the T-Racks gear from IKMM but one of them gives me static every 30 seconds or so. I sent an email to support and never got a reply.

Sure, I'd be interested...
Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #98
suleiman

Despite the generally negative feedback regarding IK, i went ahead and tried ST3 free.

From the download till the install i was up and running within 20 mins ( standalone and vst). It worked like a charm. The GUI is nice on the eyes and the samples sound good.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #99
ivansc

Re: Amplitube3

For my purposes, Scuffham, especially now they added the Tweed Deluxe clone, is excellent.

EDIT: I should have said I own a Fender wide panel tweed Deluxe clone that I built, so I know how it is supposed to sound very well.

And much to my surprise, so is Peavey Revalver.
And for instant "that will work in a track" the elderly Waves GTR.

I still have some older tracks with Amplitube3 on them, but for the "dirty-clean but fat" sounds I use mostly, the others work better. For me.

I personally think Amplitube3 is the best IKMM product I own.

Last edited by ivansc; 09-13-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #100
suleiman

I have a single question.

If i have drums on channel 1 and a related pattern loaded on slot 1

Plus

A bass on channle 2 and a related pattern loaded on slot 2,

How do i play them simultaneously ? I can currently hear only 1 at a time dpeneding on the channel selected.

Salamat
Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #101
DarkStar

Global Play button - User Guide 3.4.4 and 3.1.2 (save them as a multi first?)
Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 AM   #102
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Global Play button - User Guide 3.4.4 and 3.1.2 (save them as a multi first?)
I will check this out...

Also, if i had a penny for every time you helped someone, i would give you the millions !
Thanks !

Salamat
Old 09-13-2014, 03:10 AM   #103
stratovarius

Quote:
Re: Amplitube3

For my purposes, Scuffham, especially now they added the Tweed Deluxe clone, is rexcellent.
And much to my surprise, so is Peavey Revalver.
And for instant "that will work in a track" the elderly Waves GTR.

I still have some older tracks with Amplitube3 on them, but ut for the "dirty-clean but fat" sounds I use mostly, the others work better. For me.

I personally think Amplitube3 is the best IKMM product I own.
I had a version of Waves GTR many years ago. They're still pumping out good amp sims? I'll go check them out and the others too.

Thanks for the info and yeah I think Amplitube 3 is the best IKMM product. I've got several products from them and it seems to be the only thing I don't have major issues with. Amplitube 2 Live on the other hand crashes Reaper consistently for me. Or it used to, I just don't use it anymore except in Standalone mode sometimes when I'm jamming with someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
I will check this out...

Also, if i had a penny for every time you helped someone, i would give you the millions !
Thanks !
Yeah, DarkStar is awesome. He's a walking Reaper Encyclopedia.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #104
suleiman

It worked ! This is great . It might tempt me to get some packs.

Salamat
Old 09-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #105
DarkStar

Good oh.

If you do get some expansions, remember that you need to full edition of ST3, not the Free one. And you will need to Import the instruments into St3.

--------------------------------
As for the pennies. If you feel that I have helped, then, when you can afford it, you could make a one-off donation here:
http://www.msf.org/donate

They need it more than I do.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #106
Jeffsounds

Quote:
As for the pennies. If you feel that I have helped, then, when you can afford it, you could make a one-off donation here:

Good for you!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #107
chucky5p

Quote:
... when you can afford it, you could make a one-off donation here:

Not that I needed any help with ST3, but your post reminded me how much Medecins Sans Frontieres do need our help, so I followed your suggestion and made a donation today. Thanks for your very good suggestion

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #108
cerendir

Seems a bit excessive, doesn't it? I mean it's not like we're talking highly detailed state-of-the-art sampled instruments here.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #109
ivansc

*sigh* completely uninstalled everything to do with Sampletank 3 (using ASC's uninstaller, which generally gets everything) and then re-downloaded and reinstalled the lot.
Neither the standalone or inserting it a a vsti is working.
I am too old to fart about getting this working. Something is not right, but I guess it is worth what I paid for it.
And based on my previous experience with IKMM's support I wont be wasting any more time on this.

Sorry Peter, I am sure you'll have hundreds of happy purchasers, but I just cant be bothered to persevere with this, the only VSTi that I have ever had any issues with.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #110
stratovarius

Quote:
*sigh* completely uninstalled everything to do with Sampletank 3 (using ASC's uninstaller, which generally gets everything) and then re-downloaded and reinstalled the lot.
Neither the standalone or inserting it a a vsti is working.
I am too old to fart about getting this working. Something is not right, but I guess it is worth what I paid for it.
And based on my previous experience with IKMM's support I wont be wasting any more time on this.

Sorry Peter, I am sure you'll have hundreds of happy purchasers, but I just cant be bothered to persevere with this, the only VSTi that I have ever had any issues with.
Interesting you should mention this, as ST 2.5 just stopped working for me out of the blue. The free version, but still. It doesn't inspire me to go and buy ST 3, that's for sure.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:05 AM   #111
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post

Seems a bit excessive, doesn't it? I mean it's not like we're talking highly detailed state-of-the-art sampled instruments here.
Exactly. I asked if this was normal several times on this thread and never got a straight answer.

I don't think you can create your own instruments also? Creating new sample instruments is very important to me.

I decided to spend a little extra and buy Kontakt 5, then realised I could get Komplete 9 cheaper than the price of Kontakt! I'm now running Kontakt and have imported all my favourite ST 2.5 instruments over to it.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #112
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
I'm now running Kontakt and have imported all my favourite ST 2.5 instruments over to it.
Is it really possible to import ST 2.5 instruments in Kontakt? How???
timothys_monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #113
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Is it really possible to import ST 2.5 instruments in Kontakt? How???
Yes it is, using the 'Extreme Sample Converter' below, but it does not convert ST miroslav or recent ST 2.5 add ons. It only seems to convert ST 1 and up to ST 2.5 default XL libraries. Try the demo first, to see if it does what you want.

I also converted most of my old AKAI sampler disks including the original Miroslav libraries.

LINK TO CONVERTER

http://www.extranslator.com/index.php?page=exsc

Patch to Patch Conversions

Yamaha TYROS 2 Custom Normal Import and Export
Renoise XRNI instrument and XRNS song Import, XRNI instrument Export
Dash Signature Import and Export
VSTi Sampling using VSTi Converter
Hardware Sampling using Hardware Converter
SoundFont Import and Export
GigaSampler Import and Export
GigaStudio 1.0/2.0 Import
GigaStudio 3.0 Import and Export, full support for accelerated 16-bit and 24-bit files and splitted giga files *.gx01
Solton MS-40/50/60 Import and Export (special editor included)
Sampletank 1.0 Import and Export
DLS Downloadable Sounds Level 1 Import
DLS Downloadable Sounds Level 2 Import and Export
SampleFarm Import
DS-404 Import and Export
Creamware Pulsar STS Import and Export
Akai S5000/S6000/Z4/Z8 Import and Export
Halion 1 Import
Halion 2 Import and Export
Halion 3* Import (Steinberg Dongle required)
Kontakt 1/2/3* Import and Export
Wusikstation 1/2/3/4 Import and Export
Sfz Import and Export
EmulatorX* Import and Export
ProteusX* Import and Export
Samplelord Import and Export

* Factory Sound Banks, monolith HSB files, NKS files and derivative files are not supported.

Audio File to Audio File Conversions

Akai MPC Sample Import and Export
Flac Import and Export
Wave Import and Export
Aiff Import and Export
Ogg Vorbis Import
Creamware Pulsar Sample Import
Creamware tripleDAT Import

Patch to Audio File Conversions

Akai MPC Sample Export
Flac Export
Wave Export
Aiff Export

Disc Import

Akai S1000/S3000 Import
E-MU EMULATOR THREE Import
E-MU III/IV/ESI Import

Last edited by Retro Audio Enthusiast; 09-14-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #114
dea-man

Quote:
Something is not right, but I guess it is worth what I paid for it.
????????

Please explain.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #115
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I got the T-Racks gear from IKMM but one of them gives me static every 30 seconds or so. I sent an email to support and never got a reply.

Sure, I'd be interested...
Please let me know your ticket number, it is strange for them to not respond I'll bet something of a technical glitch may have occurred. I will have someone look into it.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #116
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post

Resource usage will also depend on effects used and other factors. There are great samples/sounds/effects in SampleTank 3 and yes some of them will require more resources than others. If you feel that some are excessive in your usage and feel there could be optimization please do feel free to report your experience to support who will do their best to replicate and then alert the developers. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Retro Audio Enthusiast: The best way to get a straight answer on something that varies like performance/resource usage is to do as suggestion immediately above and I believe as was suggested when you asked. That suggestion is a straight answer as I have no way to replicate your exact experience, and support can get all of the details and work with development for anything that may require any changes.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #117
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
????????

Please explain.
I think he is using the free version. The "not right" parts are described throughout the thread. He has had a particularly bad time with IK stuff.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #118
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I think he is using the free version. The "not right" parts are described throughout the thread. He has had a particularly bad time with IK stuff.
Oh. The free version?

O.K..
Old 09-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #119
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post

Retro Audio Enthusiast: The best way to get a straight answer on something that varies like performance/resource usage is to do as suggestion immediately above and I believe as was suggested when you asked. That suggestion is a straight answer as I have no way to replicate your exact experience, and support can get all of the details and work with development for anything that may require any changes.
Hi Peter, to replicate my experience just load an instance of Sampletank 3 with no instruments loaded into it, into any DAW and see what RAM it uses, empty.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #120
DarkStar

^^^^
Just for info: here that adds 262 MB to the memory usage.

With cerendir's setup I see 1740 MB used. NB The instrument size in ST3 is 1.21GB (in the top right corner of the ST3 browser).