Old 08-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
adam79
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin Organizer

Is there anything available that organizes plugins better than the stock system?

Thanks.
adam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:39 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Tell me more! What would you like to do that you can't do now? There might be a workaround.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:34 AM   #3
adam79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Tell me more! What would you like to do that you can't do now? There might be a workaround.
There's some kind of script that looks at all the scanned plugins and attempts to organize them. It sorts plugins by Manufacturer very accurately, but is weak with sorting by category (type), e.g. Compression, Delay, Reverb, etc.

So, I'm wondering if there's a script that can sort by category more accurately, and maybe offers additional, sorting related, options.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:41 AM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Thanks for that. Sorry I can't help you with that, hopefully someone will ....
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Winfield

I would love to have the ability to add 'metadata' on plugins - so i could just type 'comp' to see all my compressors or 'guitar' to get to all amps and pedals. When I haven't been using reaper for a while I totally forget the sometimes idiosyncratic names of plugs.
A script that organises plugins would be killer imho -especially if it was based on something like a textfile-db that could contain all the metadata and be easily edited. Give it some time and input from users, and that file could meet most folks need. I would get it from stash in flash.
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
twonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
I would love to have the ability to add 'metadata' on plugins - so i could just type 'comp' to see all my compressors or 'guitar' to get to all amps and pedals. When I haven't been using reaper for a while I totally forget the sometimes idiosyncratic names of plugs.
A script that organises plugins would be killer imho -especially if it was based on something like a textfile-db that could contain all the metadata and be easily edited. Give it some time and input from users, and that file could meet most folks need. I would get it from stash in flash.
+1
twonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
nait

I just create my own categories for plugins I use a lot and just drag them into my categories. It is a bit of work to set up, at first, but you only have to do it once (unless you re-format and use installed version of Reaper, but that's another reason why portable version is way better).

Also, it might not be evident, but a lot of stuff categorizes into the default categories properly, but some doesn't go anywhere.. if you right click on "Categories" in that tree and pick "Include no category", you'll get a category at the bottom: "[no category]" that holds all the plugins that didn't fall into a category, and you can sort those out manually.

Then of course, there are smart folders which would categorize plugins based on specified string values in names (and allows for conditions "NOT" and "OR"). I haven't used those though, as for my purposes, I don't think that would work well enough. I'd rather just grab what I want sort things out manually.

So, some example categories I set up (of course, these work for ME and you would have your own ideas):
_Drums
_Tools
_MIDI
_FX
_Instruments

I preface with an underscore so they appear first in the list.

Tags would be nice, but at the same time, that just seems redundant to categories to me... no? It might be slightly quicker to have tags though, if you have multiple tags for a plugin. Other than that, I'd think categories would work just the same. Create a _Guitar category, drag all your amps/pedals in there one time, and you're good from there out.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:02 AM   #8
Winfield

Thanks nait. I had forgotten about that. I'll try it out.
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #9
adam79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
if you right click on "Categories" in that tree and pick "Include no category", you'll get a category at the bottom: "[no category]" that holds all the plugins that didn't fall into a category
Oh, cool. That'll be really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Then of course, there are smart folders which would categorize plugins based on specified string values in names (and allows for conditions "NOT" and "OR").
String values are different from tags, ya? Like, you can only use conditions, not as a label?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:00 PM   #10
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
String values are different from tags, ya? Like, you can only use conditions, not as a label?
The smart folders might not be what you need.. but it's probably best to just have a quick look at Kenny Gioia's tutorial on them to see if they'll help you do what you need, in any way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNej...el=REAPERMania

You might want to watch the full thing, but he starts talking about Smart Folders around a minute in.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:03 AM   #11
bolgwrad

Another way, with a bit of setting up, would be to use the FX chains menu. Save your favourite single plugins as FX chains, and organise these chains in folders to suit (add your folders to the Users/Settings/Reaper/FXChains folder).

When you right-click on the channel FX button, the FX chains menu and subfolders are there below the 'Developers' list, etc. You might never have to open the Add FX dialog again.