Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #41
gorelik11
Human being with feelings

Hey, @Oscrat. By my observation, the problem wasn't in Reaper, but with any VST host, and any AU host, except Logic. I noticed the same behavior with WaveLab, and a solution we found on a Cubase forum. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ls-me.2329136/
Yeah - when the bug is still there - it will load as 32 bits. When you manage to exchange the framework, it still can do that, until you remind the system somehow, that NO - it's not a 32 bit plugin. I think /Users/username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/PluginsBridgedFor64BitVSTHosts = this folder is not about Jbridge, but also refers to Reaper's bridging. So delete the files there. But only after you repair the framework. Did you manage to find 10.12.6 file?
gorelik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #42
KIKEesKIKE

Hey fellas, just joined because I have a very similar problem. I'm also running 10.12.6
A little while ago Reaper just suddenly stopped loading some plug-ins which were working fine. As far as I remember I didn't do any updates. I reinstalled some plug-ins, updated Reaper but nothing. I downloaded Waveform 11 just to check and the plugins did load in that one. But I really don't want to change DAWs now as I have multiple projects I need to record asap. Not very happy, specially as Steven Slate Drums isn't working which I'm using also as a songwriting tool.

Would appreciate if someone would share MobileDevice.framework for 10.12.6

Best regards,
Kike

Last edited by KIKEesKIKE; 04-02-2022 at 05:10 AM.
KIKEesKIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:16 AM   #43
Oscrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKEesKIKE View Post
Hey fellas, just joined because I have a very similar problem. I'm also running 10.12.6
A little while ago Reaper just suddenly stopped loading some plug-ins which were working fine. As far as I remember I didn't do any updates. I reinstalled some plug-ins, updated Reaper but nothing. I downloaded Waveform 11 just to check and the plugins did load in that one. But I really don't want to change DAWs now as I have multiple projects I need to record asap. Not very happy, specially as Steven Slate Drums isn't working which I'm using also as a songwriting tool.

Would appreciate if someone would share MobileDevice.framework for 10.12.6

Best regards,
Kike
Look at the updates list in App Store. And check your system update settings. The default is automatic updates, which you will not notice. Until something goes wrong. I do manual updates, but were stupid (and stressed) enough to accept this one.

But it sounds like you have the same problem, ie. the Device Support Update from the beginning of March.

No MobileDevice.framework to share yet. I'll let you know when I have it.
Oscrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #44
Oscrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorelik11 View Post
Hey, @Oscrat. By my observation, the problem wasn't in Reaper, but with any VST host, and any AU host, except Logic. I noticed the same behavior with WaveLab, and a solution we found on a Cubase forum. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ls-me.2329136/
Yeah - when the bug is still there - it will load as 32 bits. When you manage to exchange the framework, it still can do that, until you remind the system somehow, that NO - it's not a 32 bit plugin. I think /Users/username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/PluginsBridgedFor64BitVSTHosts = this folder is not about Jbridge, but also refers to Reaper's bridging. So delete the files there. But only after you repair the framework. Did you manage to find 10.12.6 file?
Here the affected AU plugins work fine and in 64 bit in Ableton Live, Logic and Bitwig.

I have no problem with VST plugins as such. Only the VST plugins I have installed as AU plugins also. For example Unfiltered Audio plugins from Plugin Alliance, which I have installed as AU, VST and VST3. They all stopped working while plugins I only have as VST or VST3 still work fine in Reaper.

On my system it's very obviously related to AU plugins and Reaper. Even if it's caused by Apple's buggy update.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #45
KIKEesKIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscrat View Post
Look at the updates list in App Store. And check your system update settings. The default is automatic updates, which you will not notice. Until something goes wrong. I do manual updates, but were stupid (and stressed) enough to accept this one.

But it sounds like you have the same problem, ie. the Device Support Update from the beginning of March.

No MobileDevice.framework to share yet. I'll let you know when I have it.
Yup, most likely it was that particular update. Thanks for the offer but after all night partying I guess the best thing to do with a hangover was to try to fix this and voila I found this https://origin-discussions2-us-dr-pr...2#254323570022
I downloaded the frameworks file in the second post and followed the instruction. Everything works now!!! I can go to sleep now!

The link is here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yZ4...7gSqCU82V/view

Last edited by KIKEesKIKE; 04-02-2022 at 11:25 PM.
KIKEesKIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #46
Oscrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKEesKIKE View Post
Yup, most likely it was that particular update. Thanks for the offer but after all night partying I guess the best thing to do with a hangover was to try to fix this and voila I found this https://origin-discussions2-us-dr-pr...2#254323570022
I downloaded the frameworks file in the second post and followed the instruction. Everything works now!!! I can go to sleep now!

The link is here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yZ4...7gSqCU82V/view
That's great KIKEesKIKE. Nothing like a hangover to solve all problems. I can confirm that this solves the issue on my system, too.

In addition to using the 'clean' framework I also trashed the reaper-vstplugins64.ini and reaper-auplugins64.ini files and did a complete rescan. This brought back the VST and VST3 plugins that went down with the AU's.

Now everything is back on track in Reaper.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #47
buvoltz

Quote:
Hi!
My friend which is a programmer found a solution to the problem. As a result everything works on my El Capitan now.

The reason for the problem is Mobile Device Update and the solution is to revert to the previous version of it.

The offending framework is located at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

Here are the necessary steps:

1. Locate the previous version of MobileDevice.framework. You either use the TimeMachine back if you have one. Or you can take the file from a friend, that has the same OSX and didn’t do the update. You also can install old version of same OSX on a different computer and just copy this file from there. For your convenience this is the link for my El Capitan framework version. You need to unzip it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/65q1y9nyzr...ework.zip?dl=0

2. Place the old-working version in root folder of Machintosh HD
3. Restart the computer and immediately hold Cmd-R in order to enter the recovery mode
4. Select language if necessary
5. In the top menu, launch Utilities -> Terminal
6. Once inside the terminal, run csrutil disable (if it was already disabled previously, still do it, because actualization might have enabled it back)
7. Backup the current-broken version by running:
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks; mv MobileDevice.framework MobileDevice.framework-broken
8. Place the old-working version:
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD; mv MobileDevice.framework System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
9. Restart
10. Go to Reaper Preferences/Plugins/VST and Rescan or just press those which are "failed to scan".
Hey, thought I'd chime in about this problem. You are correct about the fix and it works however I discovered this a few days ago when Logic Pro could not validate some new AU plugins on my old 2007 iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6. The error pointed directly to MobileDevice.framework so I opened a backup on an external drive and copied the known working file. Rebooted into Recovery and disabled SIP then rebooted and renamed the bad file then copied the working MobileDevice.framework right from finder. Reboot to recovery and turn SIP back on and now all is working again.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #48
Patrice Brousseau

Thanks for the solution. Didn’t noticed prior to reading this thread as I didn’t used my old MBP early 2011 running Sierra for a while.

Replaced the framework from a TM backup and that’s it.
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:06 AM   #49
DreamDisease

Gorelik if we replace that file with the old one do we lose something in security or did apple really just mess that up? The oldest one I could salvage is from 10.9, not sure it'd work the same, I think I'll use yours.
---------
Just letting you guys know I am having this problem too. I am newly on 10.11.6, on reaper 6.54 (but this happens on older reapers too) I will try replacing that file gorelik was so gracious to provide us! Also letting you know this happened AFTER the security update 2018 0004 on El Capitan. I just 'upgraded' from maverick to el capitan today (because i was forced to) and then, after having to trick apple with a terminal date change in order to actually install it, and being locked out of the login screen and having to sudo rm hidden csstore files, no idea what im doing, thanks youtube...it seemed to be working great! I checked by opening intensive projects in reaper, garageband and logic. Perhaps even running faster. Then I checked the app store because surely there were probably important security updates I'd need by now, bugs that've been discovered and fixed over the past 4 years. And now, after that 'patch' these plugins I regularly use no longer work:

TDR Nova (im gonna miss you, I downloaded the latest version from the site, reinstalled and same thing),

Piano One,

Ample Bass (frickin crucial to my setup),

Deespeaker,

MIDIchord (I'm really gonna miss you and I dont think there's an alternative)

Dexed

Acon Digital Multiply

Balancer

Valhallaspacemodulator

Blacksun

Nectar 3 (At first this was CRASHING reaper, but I had to get a new update to the plugin and now its working)

What could they all have in common? For Nectar 3, specifically the VST and VST3 crashes reaper, the AU just doesn't work.

All these do work in garageband though and I haven't even bothered testing logic I assume if garageband can do it logic can.

Also! The plot thickens, because I'm not sure how I did it but in one session all of these plugins work in reaper after I force quit a process called reaper_i386 (its green) or something...but I get no audio. Audio is playing through the meters, and the plugins interfaces are loading and working...but all audio output from reaper is gone. I fixed the audio part by switching the audio device back and forth though, so for a session, it was perfect, but I haven't been able to make it work again. Also SOMETIMES MAutopitch crashed reaper, most of the time it doesn't though.

There is another one I leave running called reaper_host_x86_64. This one is blue, I remember seeing it in the old OS... the one I quit was green and I've never seen it before upgrading.

Another side effect is that some plugins work but when I close them they leave empty white windows that cant be closed...which is why I force quit the green one in the first place. But doing that seems to kill audio...

Sidenote, I hate this new OS, everything looks stupid and smaller. They absolutely ruined my Reminder alerts...But at least now I can use the internet...

And Channev by analog obsession, which is great, but not worth the trade of my favorites up there.

What is reaper i386?

Last edited by DreamDisease; 04-16-2022 at 02:21 AM.
DreamDisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:12 AM   #50
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDisease View Post
Gorelik if we replace that file with the old one do we lose something in security or did apple really just mess that up? The oldest one I could salvage is from 10.9, not sure it'd work the same, I think I'll use yours.
---------

What is reaper i386?
Reaper i386 is the 32 bit bridge or the 32 bit version, depending.

Sure you didn’t installed the mobile device update?

**Are they supposed to work in GarageBand but not in Reaper @gorelik11 ?

Last edited by Patrice Brousseau; 04-16-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #51
DreamDisease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
Reaper i386 is the 32 bit bridge or the 32 bit version, depending.

Sure you didn’t installed the mobile device update?

**Are they supposed to work in GarageBand but not in Reaper @gorelik11 ?
Hmmm that's weird because not all the ones that don't work are 32 bit or 64 bit as far as I know...

And yeah I think the update did say something about mobile devices..

Alright, diving in to replace that file in recovery mode today, hope this works!
Old 04-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #52
DreamDisease

It worked! Thanks so much guys, all plugins back and operational! Also the i386 bridge hasn't popped up at all (but 86x64 has)

Now if I could just do something about this terrible new screen resolution and the alerts...

Well, see ya for the next thing the next OS update breaks. I think I'm gonna stay on nice safe el capitan for a while
I hear 10.13 and above has completely reworked the way file systems work, and that sounds like a nightmare.

So in the meantime, any reasonable explanation for why that one pesky file ruined a good thing?
Old 05-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #53
kavarney

Default Maybe a similar issue?

I'm running Monterey on an M1 MacBook Pro and ran into issues with AU and VST plugins this morning. The interfaces were not loading - just the default (gray) interface from Reaper was showing up, and the plugins were not working (Soundtoys, Waves and Addictive Drums).

After some panicking, I checked my iLok application and there was an update. I updated the iLok application, re-logged in to iLok then shut down/restarted; everything seems to be working fine now. Not sure if anyone else here has experienced this.
kavarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:49 AM   #54
foxestail

Quote:
Hi!
My friend which is a programmer found a solution to the problem. As a result everything works on my El Capitan now.

The reason for the problem is Mobile Device Update and the solution is to revert to the previous version of it.

The offending framework is located at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

1. Locate the previous version of MobileDevice.framework. You either use the TimeMachine back if you have one. Or you can take the file from a friend, that has the same OSX and didn’t do the update. You also can install old version of same OSX on a different computer and just copy this file from there. For your convenience this is the link for my El Capitan framework version. You need to unzip it:

3. Restart the computer and immediately hold Cmd-R in order to enter the recovery mode
6. Once inside the terminal, run csrutil disable (if it was already disabled previously, still do it, because actualization might have enabled it back)
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks; mv MobileDevice.framework MobileDevice.framework-broken
cd /Volumes/Machintosh HD; mv MobileDevice.framework System/Library/PrivateFrameworks
9. Restart
10. Go to Reaper Preferences/Plugins/VST and Rescan or just press those which are "failed to scan".
Thank you!!! This worked like a charm in Mac 10.11.6 and I didn't even have to rescan VST in Reaper. The plugin was just there, it came back!

This is a Mac update issue.
foxestail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #55
SLHQC

Quote:
Hi!

9. Restart
Hi, will this file work with Sierra 10.12.6 or will it break the OS? Any advice on how I can fix on my version would be appreciated.

Thanks.
SLHQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:43 AM   #56
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLHQC View Post
Hi, will this file work with Sierra 10.12.6 or will it break the OS? Any advice on how I can fix on my version would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I think I'm in the same boat so any help would be much appreciated...
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #57
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLHQC View Post

Thanks.
I used a backup file of this framework on my Time Machine backup and everything was fine.

I’m on Sierra 10.12.6 too.

I wouldn’t use the El Cap file here…
Old 12-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #58
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
I used a backup file of this framework on my Time Machine backup and everything was fine.

I’m on Sierra 10.12.6 too.

I wouldn’t use the El Cap file here…
Is there any way you could share the backup file?
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #59
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
Is there any way you could share the backup file?
Ask and you shall receive...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCftN_jdRMFhbMk...8b2yg?e=hBRpLl

Don't forget to put back the correct permissions.

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Machintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

If your user account is not in the sudoers file, you will have to issue in Terminal:

su - name of your admin account

... before the sudo command works. It'll then ask for your admin password and you're good.