Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #1
rekkandevar
Human being with feelings

Default [6.13] MIDI pitchbend automation value is measured differently in diff places

I'm trying to edit the values of specific automation points so I can bend the pitch properly. Unfortunately, the tooltip for changing the value of a pitchbend automation point seems to measure the pitch differently from the way the input box itself measures the same thing. The tooltip seems to think I can input something like +1o3 into the input box and it will increase the pitch by 1 octave and 3 semitones, and I can actually put in +1o3, but instead of increasing the value by 1 octave and 3 semitones' worth, the value gets increased by 15 (the number of semitones in 1 octave and 3 semitones). Clearly it thinks it's measuring the value in semitones, when in reality it's just a direct value, the default for which is 8192. So increasing it by 15 "semitones" really doesn't do much. Attached are screenshots from before and after I put +1o3 into the input box to show how little it actually affects the value.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-09-17 13_55_01-Event Properties.png (6.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: png 2020-09-17 13_55_43-Event Properties.png (6.7 KB, 102 views)
rekkandevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
z.curve
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekkandevar View Post
The tooltip seems to think I can input something like +1o3 into the input box and it will increase the pitch by 1 octave and 3 semitones
Hi, the MIDI Editor's Event Properties dialog is used to edit note events as well as CC events and pitch bend events. The tooltip (label) you refer to relates to adjusting *note events only* in the piano roll. Perhaps it could clarify that.

At the outset, it would be difficult for pitch bend events to be adjusted in a similar fashion, as the editor would not know the pitch bend modulation range of the target instrument. Or indeed instruments - the same MIDI clip could play multiple instruments, each with their own pitch bend ranges.

(I did read there are helper scripts which can calculate your desired PB offset, which is probably the best way forward.)

Last edited by z.curve; 09-20-2020 at 03:34 PM.
z.curve is offline   Reply With Quote