Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
chrisharbin
Human being with feelings

Default melodyne and reaper

*sigh*

I'll admit, I got all excited about that "other" host having certain MD features at first. I also realize it will probably be a while (if ever) before reap gets that built in.) I'm not really excited about "that" host so far so I'm not sure I care about the excellent melodyne integration presently.

So what about the plug in in general? If someone was to buy the version of melodyne that had the ability to change (let's say guitar chords) is there something I should know? Stability, usability?

I know there is a demo but I'd really like to get some feedback if possible
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
planetnine

I would like an update on this too, please...

I know there were problems, and MD did class REAPER as an unsupported host. Has this all been sorted with recent updates or is the combination still problematic?

>
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
bleakerthanyou

I'm not sure how much help this will be, but I have the Melodyne Editor and I have used it extensively as a standalone application, but as of REAPER v4.02 I still experienced spontaneous crashing when using it as a VST on say, a vocal track.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but just last night I used it as a vst on only a small segment of a wav, and I ended up running 3 instances of it on 3 tracks without incident.

I just make sure I save right before calling it up as a vst fx.
bleakerthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Alistair S

I've hesitated to answer because I have had issues in the past (mostly to do with the transfer of audio and having to keep restarting it).

However, on the latest versions of both Reaper and Melodyne, I have had no problems whatsoever.

Caveat: I haven't used it extensively recently.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
chrisharbin

That is what worries me. I keep hearing people with stability issues from all over (and certainly not limited to reaper)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
bleakerthanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
That is what worries me. I keep hearing people with stability issues from all over (and certainly not limited to reaper)
I wouldn't be too worried. If you really want to use melodyne, you can always use it as a standalone application. I've done that quite a lot, and it eliminates any compatibility issues.

You could just render your track dry and open it in the Standalone melodyne editor. I often save my Reaper session and close it out so that Reaper and Melodyne aren't fighting for my ASIO driver, but it's not too much hassle. The Melodyne editor is a great tool.
bleakerthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Solar

Here we go folks, check now Live Tutorila showing Melodyne Integration with S1 V2

http://www.livestream.com/presonuslive

Enjoy, now LIVE!!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
chrisharbin

Solar, I know of this, I thought I stated it when I started the thread.

What I was wondering was how it works NOT inside of S(whatever)
Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
EricM

Quote:
I was wondering was how it works
I have the Melodyne Editor as well, works pretty solid on Reaper.
It's a bit less responsive (slow, jerky,...) on occasions when working
with its GUI, but mostly reliable.

Never had any real crashes unless I was really doing some quick
modifications and undoing in the process (which is passed to the
host, as melodyne does not support keyboard input yet, only the
latest version I think, but I haven't upgraded yet). So it may happen
that you do some work, press undo, and it unloads the plug-in from
the track (as that was the last action the host did). So you have to
redo it, which may or may not crash the app.

But all in all, it's possible to work if you take time for every action
you take. And I still prefer to work with it as a plugin than standalone,
as I hate exporting/importing and resyncing data.

Hope that helps,

e
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
politcat

i've never felt the need to upgrade to the plugin version, i don't even want to load another plugin just for this purpose. melodyne has worked flawlessly this way. and i don't use it just for tuning

i like the idea of calling it up from reaper, doing the editing outside reaper and then it's gone until i need it again
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
i've never felt the need to upgrade to the plugin version, i don't even want to load another plugin just for this purpose. melodyne has worked flawlessly this way. and i don't use it just for tuning

i like the idea of calling it up from reaper, doing the editing outside reaper and then it's gone until i need it again
confusion:

Calling it "up" from reaper??
Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
politcat

politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
Exactly , this works well
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
chrisharbin

DOH!

Now I understand

haha, I have never used an "external" editor in reaper and hadn't thought of that.

Cool, that would be killer
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #15
ivansc

I bought Antares Autotune EVO on one of audiomidi`s no brainer deals recently and have been very pleased with the results.

I also got an email offering me a very decent upgrade path to version 2 and of course some rather more expensive upgrade options to the full version 7.

So - should I stay as I am, try Melodyne LE or whatever the entry level version is, or go for the $29 upgrade to version 2 of the basic Autotune I already have
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
kachaloo2002

I think I might try that too. The vst works kinda klunky for me, tho it does work.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
chrisharbin

Welp (gulp)

I guess the next step is to try the demo.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
chrisharbin

The only thing that I'm trying to work out in my head is the purchase here down the road if I like it. I can't remember how the studio one version is as far as using on other hosts. Editor is a must!

Amazon has it for 259 as the best price/in stock I've seen. Also, I don't see any downloadable versions.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
stuman

I'm getting my copy from audiomidi. It goes for $249 and it can be downloaded electronically. It's currently not in stock, but it's on the way.

Last edited by stuman; 11-09-2011 at 02:32 PM.
stuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
burak

I use Melodyne in Reaper as a VST all the time. It is working well for me. I start the track first then hit transfer on Melodyne VST. It captures it and then shows you the famous bubbles. After the editing, I use apply FX (mono) as a new take option and it works flawless.
burak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
SkyUK

It's surprising just how many people have crash problems with Melodyne Editor. It only works for me in Sonar for about five minutes then freezes and crashes Sonar. I bought Reaper mainly to see if I can use it for Melodyne purposes, by transferring the vocal track and a rough mix track from Sonar to Reaper where I can work on the vocal track. NB: I have a top-of-the-range custom audio DAW with 16GB of memory, so in theory Melodyne should work perfectly. Melodyne also crashed all the time on my previous DAW so as far as I'm concerned the problem lies with Melodyne.

After participating in the Melodyne forums and exchanging emails with their technical people, I have to say that they come across to me as totally in denial about the number of disgruntled customers they have, and give off the attitude that "you must be doing it wrong". I would advise anyone thinking of buying Editor to try the demo first and give it a thorough shake down to be sure that it works for you properly. In fairness, I've come across a lot of users who swear it works for them perfectly for 100% of the time (c.f. the post above this one), but that doesn't excuse what I find to be a high-handed attitude from Celemony when it comes to dealing with people who have the very common crash problems. Bizarre, you'd think they'd be hell-bent on ensuring their software works perfectly on all major DAWs.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuman View Post
I'm getting my copy from audiomidi. It goes for $249 and it can be downloaded electronically. It's currently not in stock, but it's on the way.
Ah. Well, it's going to be about 30 days before I get mine hehe
Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by burak View Post
I use Melodyne in Reaper as a VST all the time. It is working well for me. I start the track first then hit transfer on Melodyne VST. It captures it and then shows you the famous bubbles. After the editing, I use apply FX (mono) as a new take option and it works flawless.
Thanks!

Er, I thought they were blobs
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyUK View Post
It's surprising just how many people have crash problems with Melodyne Editor. It only works for me in Sonar for about five minutes then freezes and crashes Sonar. I bought Reaper mainly to see if I can use it for Melodyne purposes, by transferring the vocal track and a rough mix track from Sonar to Reaper where I can work on the vocal track. NB: I have a top-of-the-range custom audio DAW with 16GB of memory, so in theory Melodyne should work perfectly. Melodyne also crashed all the time on my previous DAW so as far as I'm concerned the problem lies with Melodyne.

After participating in the Melodyne forums and exchanging emails with their technical people, I have to say that they come across to me as totally in denial about the number of disgruntled customers they have, and give off the attitude that "you must be doing it wrong". I would advise anyone thinking of buying Editor to try the demo first and give it a thorough shake down to be sure that it works for you properly. In fairness, I've come across a lot of users who swear it works for them perfectly for 100% of the time (c.f. the post above this one), but that doesn't excuse what I find to be a high-handed attitude from Celemony when it comes to dealing with people who have the very common crash problems. Bizarre, you'd think they'd be hell-bent on ensuring their software works perfectly on all major DAWs.
I know of this attitude! They really come across the wrong way. Frankly, many software companies do (too many to list)

Main reason why I asked I don't need a 250 dollar paper weight
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #25
Klinke

I use Melodyne Essential for a while now and just updated to Melodyne Editor two days ago. Sometimes the GUI doesn't appear completely, but then i just close and open the window again. In the Melodyne FAQ they state, that you should set the audio-buffer size to 1024, to "avoid any unwanted issues during playback". This fixes also a problem with the Audio-Transfer in Reaper. So i would say: Give the demo a try on your system, and if it works, go for it. And as a tip, at the moment you can get Melodyne for 248$ directly from the Celemony webshop, just buy first Melodyne Essentail for 99$ and then the Upgrade to Editor for 149$.

Last edited by Klinke; 11-10-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
ivansc

Bump on my question about Autotune vs Melodyne
Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #27
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
I use Melodyne Essential for a while now and just updated to Melodyne Editor two days ago. Sometimes the GUI doesn't appear complete, but then i just close and open the window again. In the Melodyne FAQ they state, that you should set the audio-buffer size to 1024, to "avoid any unwanted issues during playback". This fixes also problem with the Audio-Transfer in Reaper. So i would say: Give the demo a try on your system, and if it works, go for it. And as a tip, at the moment you can get Melodyne for 248$ directly from the Celemony webshop, just buy first Melodyne Essentail for 99$ and then the Upgrade to Editor for 149$.
thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #28
chrisharbin

http://www.celemony.com/userforum/se...&submit=Search

??????????
Old 11-11-2011, 02:32 AM   #29
ivansc

So after eight PAGES of requests for help with Reaper and Melodyne, this clown Claudio claims he never heard of Reaper, or was I reading the thread backwards?

Either way I don`t see switching from AT to Melodyne now.

What a bizarre company.....
Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #30
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So after eight PAGES of requests for help with Reaper and Melodyne, this clown Claudio claims he never heard of Reaper, or was I reading the thread backwards?

Either way I don`t see switching from AT to Melodyne now.

What a bizarre company.....
Actually, I think that is backwards LOL! But still, I've decided to hold off on the demo for the time being. These guys don't seem to be in need of customers and I'm not worried about it that much. Thought it could be kinda fun to see what could happen to certain chords and passages and shift them around a bit.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #31
DeyBwah

MD works flawlessly for me in REAPER.

Except on RARE occasion where transfer doesn't appear to work. The simple task of taking the plug off-line then on-line usually fixes it.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah

Last edited by DeyBwah; 11-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #32
Marah Mag

I tested the demo of Melodyne 'plugin' (IIRC that's what 'editor' was called once upon a time) with Reaper on XP before I bought it and it worked fine. Got a free upgrade to editor when the DNA feature was added, and it too worked well on XP.

After moving to Windows 7, I've lots of instability with it. See links below for my tales of woe. But basically, currently, I put off using it, and when I do use it, I expect to crash at any moment, though it if makes it through the transfer stage, stability improves, somewhat.

My experience has thus been mixed. But my computer is somewhat underpowered to be running Windows 7 for DAW purposes to begin with. Which helps temper my current disappointment w MD.

Relatively light project are less of a problem. I sometimes make sub-projects to work with MD... eg, a mix (or stems) of everything less the track to be MD'ed, the latter then brought into the sub where melodyne will have some breathing room. This is preferable to me than using MD in standalone mode would be.

I do wish I could just run MD without giving it a second thought. It's a really nice device. Much more than just tuning, as was mentioned above.

(I need a new computer. )
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #33
DeyBwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
I tested the demo of Melodyne 'plugin' (IIRC that's what 'editor' was called once upon a time) with Reaper on XP before I bought it and it worked fine. Got a free upgrade to editor when the DNA feature was added, and it too worked well on XP.

After moving to Windows 7, I've lots of instability with it. See links below for my tales of woe. But basically, currently, I put off using it, and when I do use it, I expect to crash at any moment, though it if makes it through the transfer stage, stability improves, somewhat.

My experience has thus been mixed. But my computer is somewhat underpowered to be running Windows 7 for DAW purposes to begin with. Which helps temper my current disappointment w MD.

Relatively light project are less of a problem. I sometimes make sub-projects to work with MD... eg, a mix (or stems) of everything less the track to be MD'ed, the latter then brought into the sub where melodyne will have some breathing room. This is preferable to me than using MD in standalone mode would be.

I do wish I could just run MD without giving it a second thought. It's a really nice device. Much more than just tuning, as was mentioned above.

Such a bummer to hear your troubles with MD Marah. :/

On the bright side, it's just another reason to upgrade your computer! And it sounds like you've been wanting to for some time.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #34
DeyBwah

Quote:
Actually, I think that is backwards LOL! But still, I've decided to hold off on the demo for the time being. These guys don't seem to be in need of customers and I'm not worried about it that much. Thought it could be kinda fun to see what could happen to certain chords and passages and shift them around a bit.
Just noticed your post count Chris... At one point early this year, we were neck and neck.

..........how's the music production coming along?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #35
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Just noticed your post count Chris... At one point early this year, we were neck and neck.

..........how's the music production coming along?
Not so well :lol: Maybe too much posting???

How bout you?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #36
DeyBwah

Quote:
Not so well :lol: Maybe too much posting???

How bout you?
It's gaining some velocity.

Had some personal BS to deal with most of this year.

The music has been therapy in that regard.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #37
Faderjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakerthanyou View Post
I wouldn't be too worried. If you really want to use melodyne, you can always use it as a standalone application. I've done that quite a lot, and it eliminates any compatibility issues.

You could just render your track dry and open it in the Standalone melodyne editor. I often save my Reaper session and close it out so that Reaper and Melodyne aren't fighting for my ASIO driver, but it's not too much hassle. The Melodyne editor is a great tool.
Hey, When doing that how do you reference it against another track?
I want to try it out..But there are times when I have to tune clients and when I don't know the tune really well..It's hard to fix things if I can't hear it in context.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #38
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post

The music has been therapy in that regard.
Sorry to hear about the troubles, but yeah......I can relate to that
Old 11-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #39
SkyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post

Don't expect that to cure things.
I used the old Plugin product for years 100% trouble free. I then upgraded my DAW to Windows 7 64 bit and found that I was forced to buy the upgrade to Editor (£112) as the old Plugin product was obsolete and wouldn't work in the new W7 environment. But then Editor wouldn't work in Sonar X1 for more than five minutes or so before freezing and crashing Sonar X1. To work with it I have to make a note of the time I invoke it, rush to fix a small clip, then kill Editor and then exit and reload Sonar X1 and start again.

I then invested in a cutting-edge new PC DAW with all the bells and whistles including 16GB of memory, solid state drive C: and an i7 2600 running at 3400Ghz. Melodyne Editor still behaved the same in Sonar X1. Despite other users encountering this Celemony take a high-handed approach about it and aren't interested, well, they're kind of interested in as much as they'd like you to tell them what the problem is (!) rather than spend time trying to investigate it themselves: "Well, it works ok for us here, so it must be you." Cakewalk are at the moment looking at some of the crash dump files I've sent them. Fingers crossed but I'm prepared for a let down.

After sniffing around Reaper before I've now bought it and hoping Editor will behave itself better in Reaper than Sonar. I'm still testing.

The point is, by all means convince yourself a major DAW upgrade is necessary, and there are indeed lots of benefits of doing this. But don't pin your hopes on Melodyne suddenly becoming trouble-free. I personally love its interface, having tried demos of AutoTune and Nectar, and really prefer it. But I wish the makers would take a proper customer-focused attitude towards delving into the possible reasons why a lot of users find Editor so unreliable.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
chrisharbin

agreed.