Old 04-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
ErBird
Human being with feelings

Default Recording a band with OneMic

This actually sounds amazing for just one stereo mic.

Goes to show that with the right players/arrangement in the right room,
it doesn't take much as far as recording tech to make a timeless-sounding recording.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
eq1

I like the overall imaging/spatial aspects of the 'mix'. Voices and guitar sound pretty good. Not sure what I think about the rest. In general it seems a little dull, maybe, lacks a bit of crispness? That snare technique - swirling the brush on the drum head? To my ear it kind of creates a distracting sound/effect, akin to constant static-y noise. Not sure I understand the purpose... If I didn't actually see the source of that sound in the video, I'd probably be asking, 'What is that static-y noise?' Then again, I'm not much of connoisseur of the style/genre.

I definitely like the idea of a single stereo mic capturing the performance. I have no love for...a lot of mics, a lot of tracks, and a lot of mixing. The less technology the better.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
bjohn

Most of those One Mic series are impressive. There's a lot of time spent on initial setup as all the "mixing" happens through placement and distance of the musicians and/or amps that they're playing through. I think there's one video where the engineer talks about the approach in detail.

My partner and I do traditional music, which lends itself well to this technique, and I have a stereo ribbon on order (not AEA but Samar Audio). The thing I'd like to try, which may or may not work, is overdubbing. We'd do the initial tracks live with me on one side of the mic and my partner on the other, and then afterwards I'd play additional instruments on additional tracks at different distances and places in the stereo field.

One issue with Blumlein arrays is the relatively narrow (76 degrees) pickup angle but for our purposes this shouldn't be a constraint. You do need to have a good-sounding room for this to work well.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
cyrano

I consider these to be the best recordings I ever heard on YT.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:22 AM   #5
ivansc

This is how it was being done up to the early sixties. When I made my first "pro" recording, although we had the luxury of TWO microphones feeding a 1/4" 7.5 ips Phillips professional recorder!

Times changed pretty quickly after that....