Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
waveformer
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper OSX Plugin Gui Lag

Hello everyone. Heard a lot about overall plugin gui laginess on os x in Reaper but few days ago I’ve noticed that when I run plugins as a separate/dedicated process the problem just disappears and gui works flawless. Is there any way to fix it so it’d run in a normal way? Thank you, guys for what you doing. Sorry if I’m posting to a wrong forum
waveformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
JayJSE2

Yeah, I've been noticing this as well (I'm running v5.979+dev0706, so I'm also not sure if this is the best place to post this) . I'll have to try running them as separate processes.

It seems like it affects the audio performance as well as the plugin GUI and my guess is that it's something to do with Open GL no longer being supported on recent macos updates.

Would it help to list the plugins I notice it happening with? Or is there a log file somewhere that could help identify the problem?
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #3
waveformer

Basically this thing affects almost all tge plugins. Especially noticeable on various Acustica Audio stuff, Fabfilters, kush etc
Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 AM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveformer View Post
when I run plugins as a separate/dedicated process the problem just disappears and gui works flawless
When the plugin is run in an external process, it no longer has to share the GUI thread with Reaper and/or other plugins. That can potentially increase performance because the plugin run in the external process will be able to use other CPU cores for its GUI. (This can not be done within the single Reaper main process.)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
When the plugin is run in an external process, it no longer has to share the GUI thread with Reaper and/or other plugins. That can potentially increase performance because the plugin run in the external process will be able to use other CPU cores for its GUI. (This can not be done within the single Reaper main process.)
So are there any potential negatives to this?

Edit: wait, I'm confused... when I right click, it says you can set the default for running fx as a separate/dedicated process in preferences under vst, but I'm not seeing the option there.

Last edited by JayJSE2; 10-21-2019 at 03:54 PM.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
Obviously if the plugin's get own OS threads for their GUIs, those threads are not availale for audio at the same time any more, potentially increasing the danger of lags and clicks.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:19 AM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Obviously if the plugin's get own OS threads for their GUIs, those threads are not availale for audio at the same time any more, potentially increasing the danger of lags and clicks.
GUI threads run at a lower CPU priority than the real time critical audio threads, though.

However, the main problem with running plugins in external processes is that the audio, MIDI and parameter data has to be transferred back and forth between the processes using shared memory, which can get expensive.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
It's more expensive to process the audio in external processes, as the audio, MIDI and parameter data has to be transferred over using shared memory.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
waveformer

Sure. But since gui performance in overall increased a lot over the last few versions may be there’s a chance that plugs will soon work the way they were designed to work? The issue is osx only, but still if it happened with reaper itself - may be someone will look into it?