Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

Default Inaccurate metering (SOLVED)

It seems REAPER shows too high peaks sometimes. Just tried it with one audio-track:

REAPER: +2.2dB (PeakHold)
RME DIGICheck (with oversampled meters): +1.1dB (PeakHold)

There's definitely something wrong (or inaccurate)!

SOLVED

Last edited by Dstruct; 04-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Youn

The DIGICheck won't be able to determine overs the same way REAPER does, because it simply counts how many executive samples there are. REAPER I imagine is showing the correct over amount because it's doing the math, and of course any output from REAPER over 0dBFS is 0dBFS, right?

I could be wronge, I did just read their website, but maybe I don't understand something...

how do levels below 0 look?
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Dstruct

DIGICheck CAN show over-0dB-levels (intersample peaks)!

The test i've done was simple audio-file playback -> no additional FX or Volume processing! So if REAPER would meter correct it had shown max. +1.1dB (some intersample peaks, because the audio-track is quite "loud") ...

What REAPER shows at the moment is just confusing -> I don't know how to interpret it!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Dstruct

ok, just did the same test in nuendo and it shows the same peaks like reaper. now i've testet it again in reaper with voxengo's elephant inserted (in oversampling mode to prevent from intersample peaking) => now reaper shows no overs, so it's all fine!

sorry for that!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Digicheck's and hammerfall mixer's meters are not always totally accurate, but even in peak mode tend to show behaviour rather than total assuredness

Not sure that reaper's are either, but I am 100% sure the peaks on RME are often wrong. I wouldnt trade their behaviour though because I find the RME meters tell me a LOT more about general trends of a signal than most meters do
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Dstruct

PEAKS are always extact in DIGICheck. But you have to make sure that you're using it in ASIO-mode!!! MME/WDM can give wrong readouts (also stated in the manual!) ...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I can clip in digicheck with an under zero signal from a known waveform and I can not clip digicheck with an over zero signal that ends up square, in ASIO mode. The not clipping thing though, is from their ADI DS converters so something else could be going on there.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
kejkz

Interesting discusion, and I'm sorry to interupt, but it seems to me that you just can't take levels for granted. It's all in settings: if you work with 3 samples ovr. in digicheck, how can that be tha same as 1 sample ovr in reaper or any other software (like cubase or nuendo or any other)? It would be so good that you can have peak and RMS levels in Reaper in the same time, like in digicheck for example...
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

yeah! +1

K-system was brought up to Justin before, but its been a while. Would sure be nice!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
maa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejkz
if you work with 3 samples ovr. in digicheck, how can that be tha same as 1 sample ovr in reaper or any other software It would be so good that you can have peak and RMS levels in Reaper in the same time.
You are so right! I miss the RMS display too -its a mastering must have

Cheers

M
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejkz
1 sample ovr in reaper
didn't test it, but does reaper really shows overs at 1 (0db) sample? if so, it would be nice to have a preference for this in the future. at least 2 samples (0dB) in series should be the minimum to show as OVER, not 1 sample ...
Old 07-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #12
kejkz

It could be a great plus to set that kind of peak behaviour. And combining that with K system can give Reaper a huge advantage in mastering and mixing.
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
I miss the RMS display too -its a mastering must have
Like the late lamented "Inspector" freeware tool from Elemental Audio. Worth getting that from wherever is now possible.

There's a rather nice PPM available from Raw Material Software for 20 pounds UK, or RMS Buddy from Destroy FX, or Voxengo Span (which I notice gives RMS figures as well as the analyser.

(Also on this trawl noted the DFX Monomaker - width control from normal to mono, plus equal power panner - special for maa! - http://www.smartelectronix.com/~destroyfx/extras/ )
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #14
fluffy

Another +1 for RMS metering.