Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #41
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

I just forced myself to use Logic for a project. I am very impressed. I think it may have dethroned Reaper as my go-to daw.If you are like me know a bunch about recording, but at heart you are just as songwriter who wants to write songs... it's no contest. If you're an engineer that wants to craft the perfect workflow according to your own personal taste... reaper is still king.

If you're getting started here are a couple things that took me a bit to figure out:

Folder tracks aren't obvious looking. I was trying to edit the waveform in a folder track for a while before I realized I had to eland the folder. The preview on the folder is not translucent like in reaper; it just looks as if it's the waveform for that track.

To edit the gain on a region (IE: media item) first upgrade to 10.0.5 or you're not going to be as happy. Then click the region (again, media item in reaperspeak) and hit option+R or go to window>show region inspector float. Then you just click the blank space next to "gain" and move your mouse up or down. I have big hopes that this will not require opening a window in the future, but for now I'll live with it. There's more goodies than baddies in LPX.

included plugins are great. instrument samples are great. instrument plugins are great. the laying/GUI is great. The drummer track is phenomenal.

Tip about drummer track. When you think to yourself "I can't edit individual notes. This is a baby's toy..." Well hold your horses there sir, because you can. Just right click (or opt+click for you old school mac users) the drumming region you want to edit and go to "convert>convert to midi region"

Anyway. I may someday post a guide to transitioning from reaper to logic someday. I haven't missed any major features yet, but I also haven't needed to do anything really advanced yet. My biggest gripe is not being able to alter the gain without opening the region inspector float window.

I actually do not miss customizing things; the only thing to do is make music.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 12-30-2013 at 11:41 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #42
Aux13

I started with Nuendo 1, then jumped to Cubase and last six years I was using Logic Pro. 3 months ago I jumped on Reaper ...... and never look back.....

p.s. Actually I started with Sound designer II in 1991... huh...
Aux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #43
UncleAge

@pixeltarian; I would have bought it already if it weren't for one small item. I do a lot with plugins that transmit midi. Reaper let's me route that stuff any and everywhere. But from what I have read over the years from plugin developers is that the AU spec allows for it but Apple never implemented it in Logic. For me that kills a lot of plugins or I'd have to route everything via the IAC buss and that's no fun at all.

Does the "environment" allow for the routing of midi between tracks and plugs?
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #44
Spip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
My biggest gripe is not being able to alter the gain without opening the region inspector float window.
You don't have to open the floating window if you leave the inspector open at the left of the arrange window (or just type I on your keyboard to open/close it).
Just select the region to edit and modifify the gain setting.
Spip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #45
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
You don't have to open the floating window if you leave the inspector open at the left of the arrange window (or just type I on your keyboard to open/close it).
Just select the region to edit and modifify the gain setting.
I since figured this out. My gripes are now gone for the moment.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote