Old 05-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
MaxFrames
Human being with feelings

Default 2 mono in, 1 stereo out

Hi all, I'm evaluating Reaper not just for recording but also for live mixing.
My connections are quite simple: a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface (2 inputs); an acoustic guitar plugged to input 1 and a mic plugged to input 2.
I've created two tracks in my project: track 1 has input 1 (guitar) as the source and track 2 has input 2 (mic) as the source.
I've configured a different effects chain for each track, enabled the input monitoring feature to hear the "wet" mix for both tracks, and armed the tracks for recording.
By doing so, I can hear my guitar on the left channel (with the appropriate effects applied) and my voice on the right channel (ditto).
What I would like to accomplish is to hear both the guitar and the voice at the center of the stereo spectrum.
In other words, I want to treat the two inputs (guitar and mic) as two mono inputs, as opposite to input L and input R.
I then want to apply the effects to these mono (centered) inputs; each fx chain to its appropriate channel/insrument. The result would be an "almost stereo" mix where the instruments can be heard at the center of the stereo image but the effects (reverb, delay, chorus) would be stereo.
Easy on paper, but I haven't been able to figure out how to.
MaxFrames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Stella645

If you add a track and feed it a mono input the signal will be centred.

Maybe you're selecting a stereo input for the track.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
solger

If you haven't already, double-check the Direct Monitor settings on the front of the Scarlett.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
MaxFrames

I *think* I have set up both tracks for a mono input (I've selected "Input => Mono => Left (or Right)" as the input source for each track.
As for the physical switch on the front of the Scarlett: I don't want to switch it to mono because if I do so *all* the output will be mono; I don't want a mono output, I want a stereo output.
The two inputs (guitar and mic) are inherently mono, but the effects I apply to them (reverb, delay/pan, chorus etc.) are stereo and it makes a world of difference, expecially in the headphones, to hear them in stereo.
I just want the guitar and voice to sound centered.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFrames View Post
I *think* I have set up both tracks for a mono input (I've selected "Input => Mono => Left (or Right)" as the input source for each track.
Hmmm... could you post a screenshot? It should just say input > mono > input 1 or input 2, not left or right.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #6
Stella645

Quote:
I don't want to switch it to mono because if I do so *all* the output will be mono;.
No it won't. The Switch is for the direct monitoring of inputs only....nothing to do with playback or recording.
But as you are monitoring "wet" with FX you should have the direct monitor knob turned all the way to playback side in which case this switch will have no effect at all.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
MaxFrames

Judders is right, it's not "input L/R", it's "input 1/2".
Stella645: my aim is to direct monitor in stereo (I'm using Reaper as a makeshift "live" rig). Recording and playing back in stereo is a plus (I usually work one track at a time when I'm recording).
So yes, I need a "wet" stereo direct monitor, with the two inputs at the center of the stereo image.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Stella645

Quote:
Stella645: my aim is to direct monitor in stereo (I'm using Reaper as a makeshift "live" rig). Recording and playing back in stereo is a plus (I usually work one track at a time when I'm recording).
So yes, I need a "wet" stereo direct monitor, with the two inputs at the center of the stereo image.
If you want direct monitored dry signal and stereo fx, just switch it mono on the direct monitor.