Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #10561
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_ef View Post
I just wrote some presets (about 70 traslation rules) for bome midi translator just to make sure it will work.
It's doing what x-touch can't do - storing received values from CSI and transmitting it to surface every second.
No mater on what layer you are. If you returning to correct layer, values are just receiving from software.

I checked it and didn't found Midi traffic bloating is affecting anything.
Now it even converts MCU feedback parameters to work in NON-MCU mode.

Awesome You solved your problem!
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:21 PM   #10562
tdc

Great stuff Geoff!

Just did a bit of initial testing and the overall experience seems to be more responsive.
• Meters are working on the S3 :-)
• The Touch Automation issue is still there, but I am sure you know that.

Cheers, Tony.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #10563
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Great stuff Geoff!

Just did a bit of initial testing and the overall experience seems to be more responsive.

Cheers, Tony.
Touch is working fine here, should have mentioned TrackTouch is now renamed to a more correct term -- FaderTouch.

Let me know if that fixes things.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #10564
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

OSC should now function correctly.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #10565
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Awesome You solved your problem!
Hi,
And bomes adds another success story:-)
Well done Ivan.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #10566
pwallin

Hi! With Klinke I could assign Reaper Actions to my X-Touch. Could someone kick me to a right direction how to do it with CSI. I remember seeing some video of it, so I know it can be done.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #10567
pwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
Hi! With Klinke I could assign Reaper Actions to my X-Touch. Could someone kick me to a right direction how to do it with CSI. I remember seeing some video of it, so I know it can be done.
Actually that video is not about anyone kicking me, but showing how to use Actions in CSI
Old 10-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #10568
Funkybot

Quote:
In the Reaper Action List, right click the action and copy the Reaper Action ID. Then just assign that action to a widget in your zone file like this:

Code:
	Click 	Reaper 40364 	//toggle click
So there is the Wdiget Name ("Click") followed by the word "Reaper" and the Action ID (40364). The // is used for trailing text so you can add comments to remember what you assigned to what.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #10569
pwallin

I found a bit strange thing. I have X-Touch and CSI. On Reaper I right click to a tracks FX "button" and choose ReaEQ form my recently used plugins. If I then press "Plugin" from my X-Touch I can immediately change ReaEQ's parameters. However, if I already have a ReaEQ on some tracks I need to press Plugin button and then press Encoder from the X-Touch to edit those parameters. My problem is that I would like to do it without pressing Encoder, because with time that will mechanically wear out. If I can access to ReaEQ parameters without Encoder while adding FX, why not when wanting to edit it? Did I miss something?
Old 10-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #10570
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
i) Is the FX menu operational? Can't get a thing out of it at the moment. Any novel syntax involved?
Could you please post samples of your FXMenu zones, so that I can refresh my mind as to how they worked before the re-arch
Old 10-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #10571
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Could you please post samples of your FXMenu zones, so that I can refresh my mind as to how they worked before the re-arch
Sure thing, C4.zon covers FXMenu and Sends (Automap FXMenu and Automap Sends checked in prefs)

Code:
Zone Home
        OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
        OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu
        IncludedZones
            "C4_Buttons|"
            "Widget_Blank|1-8"
        IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "Widget_Blank|"
        DisplayUpperA|                  NoAction
        DisplayLowerA|                  NoAction
        RotaryPushA|                    NoAction
        RotaryA|                        NoAction

DisplayUpperB|                  NoAction
        DisplayLowerB|                  NoAction
        RotaryPushB|                    NoAction
        RotaryB|                        NoAction
ZoneEnd

Zone "C4_Buttons|"
        BankLeft                        TrackBank "-8"
        BankRight                       TrackBank "8"
        ChannelLeft                     TrackBank "-1"
        ChannelRight                    TrackBank "1"
        Lock                            MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu
        Lock                            MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
        Shift+Lock                      Reaper "_S&M_FXBYPALL"          //Toggle all FX bypass for selected track
        SpotErase                       Reaper "_S&M_TOGLFXCHAIN"       // Toggle FX chain window for selected track
        Shift+SpotErase                 ToggleLearnMode
        Split                           Reaper "_S&M_WNCLS4"            //Close all FX chain windows
        Split                           Reaper "_S&M_WNCLS3"            //Close all floating FX windows
        Shift                           Shift
        Option                          Option
        Control                         Control
        Alt                             Alt
        Marker                          NoAction
        ChanStrip                       NoAction
        Track                           NoAction
        Function                        NoAction
ZoneEnd

Zone "FXMenu|1-8"
        SelectedTrackNavigator
        DisplayUpperD|                  FXNameDisplay |
        DisplayLowerD|                  NoAction
        RotaryD|                        NoAction
        RotaryPushD|                    GoFXSlot |
        RotaryPushD|                    Reaper "_S&M_SHOWFXCHAIN|"
        Shift+RotaryPushD|              Reaper "_S&M_FXBYP|"            //Bypass FX Slot
        Option+RotaryPushD|             Reaper "_S&M_FXOFF|"            //Offline FX slot
ZoneEnd

Zone "Send|1-8"
        SelectedTrackNavigator
        DisplayUpperC|                  TrackSendNameDisplay
        DisplayLowerC|                  TrackSendVolumeDisplay
        RotaryPushC|                    TrackSendMute
        RotaryC|                        TrackSendVolume [ (0.001,0.02,0.04,0.06,0.1) ]
ZoneEnd
Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #10572
mattrglenn

Default FX auto float

First of all, Geoff you are an all-star. Up until this point, the combination of EuCon+CSI has always crashed my computer (Mac Mini 2020, Catalina, Reaper v 6.14). Whatever changes you made have fixed it and it works like a breeze — thank you!

A couple of initial observations:
  • When I select an FX instance right now, for some reason it auto-floats the individual insert rather than leaving it in the FX chain window. I have toggled "FX: Auto-float new FX windows" to OFF but it still seems to happen. When I disable CSI, it's not an issue.
  • Occasionally, when I switch between project files CSI loses connection with EuControl. Not a big deal as all I need to do is quit/restart EuControl and it re-syncs.

And now a question for you and any EuCon users on here. My home rig is an Artist Mix + Artist Transport. Has anyone gotten the Transport wheel to successfully control Reaper's playhead position and/or selection bounds? I'm not having luck getting this to work.

I'll keep poking at it, but really exciting update overall.
mattrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #10573
MixMonkey

Quote:
I found a bit strange thing. I have X-Touch and CSI. On Reaper I right click to a tracks FX "button" and choose ReaEQ form my recently used plugins. If I then press "Plugin" from my X-Touch I can immediately change ReaEQ's parameters. However, if I already have a ReaEQ on some tracks I need to press Plugin button and then press Encoder from the X-Touch to edit those parameters. My problem is that I would like to do it without pressing Encoder, because with time that will mechanically wear out. If I can access to ReaEQ parameters without Encoder while adding FX, why not when wanting to edit it? Did I miss something?
No, you didn't miss anything. I'm pretty sure you have the FX menu setup and the reason you need to press the first encoder is to select the first plugin slot, the one that contains ReaEQ. If you were to add a second plugin to the track, you would press the second encoder (after pressing the Plugin button) to control it.

If you only ever have one plugin on a track, you can use a different approach to have the plugin map with only one button push.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #10574
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Sure thing, C4.zon covers FXMenu and Sends (Automap FXMenu and Automap Sends checked in prefs)
Thanks, did you get a chance to see if OSC is fixed in the new build posted earlier ?
Old 10-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #10575
MixMonkey

Quote:
Thanks, did you get a chance to see if OSC is fixed in the new build posted earlier ?
Bit behind today, getting to it now
Old 10-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #10576
MixMonkey

Quote:
OSC is back Nice one, Geoff.

All looking good with the MixMonkey_iPad_Controller, not withstanding Sends and FXMenu. I'll continue testing it. @Funkybot is correct about GoZone Home no longer working, used GoZone SomethingElseConvenient instead.

One thing I noticed, with the Zone folder names in the CSI prefs, if one name is completely contained within another, the Zone Folder selection will not be remembered.

Eg: Zone Folder Name#1: MCU
Zone Folder Name#2: MCU_XT

If I select "MCU" close the prefs and quit Reaper, when I re-launch Reaper and re-open the prefs, the selection has changed to "MCU_XT"

Easy solution, change "MCU" to "MCU_UNI" and make mental note not to use inclusive naming
Old 10-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #10577
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrglenn View Post
First of all, Geoff you are an all-star. Up until this point, the combination of EuCon+CSI has always crashed my computer (Mac Mini 2020, Catalina, Reaper v 6.14). Whatever changes you made have fixed it and it works like a breeze — thank you!

A couple of initial observations:
  • When I select an FX instance right now, for some reason it auto-floats the individual insert rather than double leaving it in the FX chain window. I have toggled "FX: Auto-float new FX windows" to OFF but it still seems to happen. When I disable CSI, it's not an issue.
  • Occasionally, when I switch between project files CSI loses connection with EuControl. Not a big deal as all I need to do is quit/restart EuControl and it re-syncs.

And now a question for you and any EuCon users on here. My home rig is an Artist Mix + Artist Transport. Has anyone gotten the Transport wheel to successfully control Reaper's playhead position and/or selection bounds? I'm not having luck getting this to work.

I'll keep poking at it, but really exciting update overall.
I’ve been having an awesome time with the transport and making the jog wheel do what I need. Right now I have it Jog, fine jog, track selection, scroll view, zoom in/out horizontally, zoom vertically, slide items left and right, etc.

Assuming you’re referring to controlling the play head with the jog wheel too, I’ll take a look at how to do the selection bounds. The trick is always finding the right Reaper action to apply to the Eucon custom wheel action. If there is an action do what you want, it should be rather easy.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #10578
pwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
In the Reaper Action List, right click the action and copy the Reaper Action ID. Then just assign that action to a widget in your zone file like this:

Code:
	Click 	Reaper 40364 	//toggle click
So there is the Wdiget Name ("Click") followed by the word "Reaper" and the Action ID (40364). The // is used for trailing text so you can add comments to remember what you assigned to what.
Ah, thanks so much!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #10579
pwallin

Quote:
No, you didn't miss anything. I'm pretty sure you have the FX menu setup and the reason you need to press the first encoder is to select the first plugin slot, the one that contains ReaEQ. If you were to add a second plugin to the track, you would press the second encoder (after pressing the Plugin button) to control it.

If you only ever have one plugin on a track, you can use a different approach to have the plugin map with only one button push.
Ok, so within a few years my encoders wear off. I still can do the selection using Klinke's without pressing encoder, so it should be doable in CSI too? Ok, that is life... Thanks anyway.

Last edited by pwallin; 10-19-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:00 AM   #10580
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrglenn View Post
When I select an FX instance right now, for some reason it auto-floats the individual insert rather than leaving it in the FX chain window. I have toggled "FX: Auto-float new FX windows" to OFF but it still seems to happen. When I disable CSI, it's not an issue.
Due to complexity and confusion with configuration the new default behaviour is to always float the FX windows.

You can toggle it on and off with a button though:

Code:
    someButton  SetShowFXWindows

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 10-20-2020 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:02 AM   #10581
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ok, so within a few years my encoders wear off. I still can do the selection using Klinke's without pressing encoder, so it should be doable in CSI too? Ok, that is life... Thanks anyway.
That's only the case if you use FXMenu, you can do it with MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets, or MapFocusedFXToWidgets and not have to press every time
Old 10-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #10582
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
All looking good with the MixMonkey_iPad_Controller, not withstanding Sends and FXMenu. I'll continue testing it. @Funkybot is correct about GoZone Home no longer working, used GoZone SomethingElseConvenient instead.

One thing I noticed, with the Zone folder names in the CSI prefs, if one name is completely contained within another, the Zone Folder selection will not be remembered.

Eg: Zone Folder Name#1: MCU
Zone Folder Name#2: MCU_XT

If I select "MCU" close the prefs and quit Reaper, when I re-launch Reaper and re-open the prefs, the selection has changed to "MCU_XT"

Easy solution, change "MCU" to "MCU_UNI" and make mental note not to use inclusive naming
Will look into why GoZone Home is not working.

Not sure I understand the second issue, are we talking CSI.ini issues ?
Old 10-20-2020, 02:56 AM   #10583
Zajac

Quote:
Cool, nice detective work, I will have a look at this after the re-arch is complete, remind me if I somehow forget
Still no changes with the new build. I thought it was related to the touch issue (ProMix 01 faders are not touch sensitive). It's strange because it works ok with .dll from this thread - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69295.
Unfortunately it's only 32-bit so I can't use it. Do you have any idea what might be the cause?
Attached Files
File Type: zip roland vs control surface for reaper 20 Oct 2009.zip (103.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: zip reaper_rol_VS_cs.zip (62.9 KB, 66 views)
Zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #10584
MixMonkey

Quote:
You don't have to use the encoder push to make the selection. What do you push in Klinke to do it?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #10585
MixMonkey

Quote:
Not sure I understand the second issue, are we talking CSI.ini issues ?
I think so. Might have something to do with the way the Zone folder field auto selects if you have an .mst and a Zone folder with the same name (which is cool btw)
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #10586
pwallin

Quote:
That's only the case if you use FXMenu, you can do it with MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets, or MapFocusedFXToWidgets and not have to press every time
Yes, I just had a hunch for that and almost tried to do it myself. I finally seem to understand CSI and programmed some Actions to unused buttons for my X-Touch. Lot to learn, but finally I am getting somewhere!
Old 10-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #10587
pwallin

Quote:
You don't have to use the encoder push to make the selection. What do you push in Klinke to do it?
I can't verify this now, but I remember that it was just hitting track selector after hitting "plug ins" button.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #10588
Funkybot

Was there a question earlier of how well Reaper's Touch automation worked with Eucon (perhaps from the prior versions)? I just gave it a go last night and that seemed to be working.

Overall, this has been an incredibly stable release (outside of the known issues with Sends, FxMenu's and GoZone Home). Kudos to Geoff!
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #10589
pwallin

More I start to using CSI, more questions arise.

1. Using X-Touch, how can I make CSI show trackname and also 2 digit track number in a scribble strips? Lower portion of strips are empty, so there should be room for this.

2. If I use Reaper Track Manager and select any track from there, CSI does not send information to a X-Touch to switch to correct bank and track. To be honest I can't get this to work in a Reaper itself, so it may not be a CSI related problem. I use Reaper V 5.99

Last edited by pwallin; 10-20-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #10590
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I think so. Might have something to do with the way the Zone folder field auto selects if you have an .mst and a Zone folder with the same name (which is cool btw)
Ahh yes, that's likely it, will see if it can be improved.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #10591
kevrose

@MixMonkey

Just tried your Excel spreadsheet, really cool! Unfortunately, when I go to Create Zone, I get:

Run-time error: 75. Path/File access error.

In the debugger, the following is highlighted:

Output SavePath for Output as #2

Any thoughts?
kevrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #10592
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrose View Post
@MixMonkey

Just tried your Excel spreadsheet, really cool! Unfortunately, when I go to Create Zone, I get:

Run-time error: 75. Path/File access error.

In the debugger, the following is highlighted:

Output SavePath for Output as #2

Any thoughts?
Did you enter your local Mac account name in the username box?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #10593
kevrose

Quote:
Did you enter your local Mac account name in the username box?
Yep. It wouldn't let me open the file without it.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #10594
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yep. It wouldn't let me open the file without it.
Is the raw parameter text file you created in the ZoneRawFXFiles folder and does the ZoneFXFiles folder exist? (don't create sub-folders within these for the time being)
Old 10-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #10595
mattrglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I’ve been having an awesome time with the transport and making the jog wheel do what I need. Right now I have it Jog, fine jog, track selection, scroll view, zoom in/out horizontally, zoom vertically, slide items left and right, etc.

Assuming you’re referring to controlling the play head with the jog wheel too, I’ll take a look at how to do the selection bounds. The trick is always finding the right Reaper action to apply to the Eucon custom wheel action. If there is an action do what you want, it should be rather easy.
Thanks Nick. I would love to be able to set up a similar set of actions. Do you mind if I ask how you are binding the jog/shuttle wheels to their corresponding Reaper actions in EuControl? I think that's the step I'm missing.

Last edited by mattrglenn; 10-20-2020 at 12:48 PM.
mattrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #10596
kevrose

Quote:
Is the raw parameter text file you created in the ZoneRawFXFiles folder and does the ZoneFXFiles folder exist? (don't create sub-folders within these for the time being)
Yes to both...
Old 10-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #10597
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yes to both...
Ok, try reloading the raw fx file into the sheet and trying to create the zone again. When you get an error message, the de-bugger ( and it is a bugger) clears all the variables including the save path.

Also, if you wanted to save a half finished layout as an Excel doc so you could work on it later, when you reopened it you would need to reload the corresponding raw FX file to reset the save path. This palava is because of the duff Visual Basic implementation in Excel for Mac. Sorry.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #10598
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Great stuff Geoff!

Cheers, Tony.
Hi tdc,

r u using the avid S3?
if so , would u like to share the zone & mst file ?
that would save me a tones of time
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #10599
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

Hopefully fixes the config issue.

Auto guess templates only occurs on a new addition, not an edit.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #10600
MixMonkey

Quote:
I can't verify this now, but I remember that it was just hitting track selector after hitting "plug ins" button.
Wouldn't you be worried that the track select button might wear out?

Seriously though, you can mao the select button to choose the slot from the FX menu, but you will lose the ability to move from track to track with the FX menu still visible

Quote:
More I start to using CSI, more questions arise.

1. Using X-Touch, how can I make CSI show trackname and also 2 digit track number in a scribble strips? Lower portion of strips are empty, so there should be room for this.
If your X-Touch.zon is working correctly, you should already be able to see the track names in the upper part of the display. The lower part of the display should be showing Pan/PanWidth info.

Quote:
2. If I use Reaper Track Manager and select any track from there, CSI does not send information to a X-Touch to switch to correct bank and track. To be honest I can't get this to work in a Reaper itself, so it may not be a CSI related problem. I use Reaper V 5.99
You need to enable ToggleScrollLink (map it to a button, preferably one with an LED) in the XTouch.zon file. With ScrollLink enabled, the surface should follow the screen and vice-versa.

I say should, because there seems to be a bug where the surface will only bank in a positive direction. That is to say, if track 24 is not visible on the surface and I select it on the screen, the surface will bank so it appears on the far left fader (or whatever number you set in the definition) However, if I then select track 1 on the screen, the surface doesn't bank.

Regarding the TrackManger, if you right click on its tab and tick "Mirror track selection" and "Scroll to selected track when mirroring selection" it will do what you want.