Old 10-23-2020, 03:59 AM   #1
shosty
Human being with feelings

Default Best approach for using a midi controller

I just bought a Novation Launchcontrol XL but I'm not really sure where to start with using it in Reaper. I don't mean how to map things but rather the best overall design approach for the mapping.

The Launchcontrol has 3x8 knobs, 8 faders, 2x8 buttons and several buttons on the side. I spent a while configuing a script for midizap for use with VCV Rack where I have 5 'scenes/pages' so I can basically have 5x(3x8 knobs, 8 faders, 2x8 buttons).

In reaper it seems that to control volumes and sends etc you can control the currently selected track or a set like 1-8. The problem with current selected track way is what to do with the rest of the knobs? I can see this is great if you have a few controls but for the layout of my controller I don't think this makes much sense. The problem with fixed set like 1-8 is that I often have dozens of tracks, organised within folders, so it seems a bit messy to have to figure out which set of 8 tracks correspond to the page on my controller. Also, this would probably mean that I can only control two or perhaps three sends but I tend to use more than this so it's not ideal.

And then I would like to be able to control some plugins. I think LBX SRD Smart Knobs is going to be best for this.

At the moment I wonder if it would be good to set up pages 1-4 for volume, 2 sends, pan, mute, solo for tracks 1-8, 9-16 etc and then have the last page to control plugins or other dedicated functions.

Or maybe current track is best, I could have one fader for volume, one row of knobs for sends, one row for Smart Knobs, one knob for pan and the rest of that row for dedicated controls like send delay feedback etc. This also means that I only have to use one page on the controller.

What do you think, any suggestions?
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
TonE

You could start writing down all outputs of your controls.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
mschnell

You might want to try the CSI Reaper extension.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You might want to try the CSI Reaper extension.
-Michael
It's not available for Linux unfortunately.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote