Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-21-2023, 02:02 PM   #241
Tedsorvino
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPN View Post
To save some effort if the template doesn't import with mm-accuracy, could you take a measurement from the left-side of the FLIP button to the right-side of the F8 button on the actual hardware, please? In mm, thanks.

Edit: And from the top of the SMTPE/Beats button to the bottom of the button below M3.
Excellent Cjpn. I will surely do it as soon as i have the controller with me. By the end of the week max.
Cheers, Ted.
Tedsorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #242
CJPN

Just for kicks and giggles, in the following image you can witness the progression in terms of "How hard should one whack the hole punch?" and "Oh no! I moved the punch by 2mm by accident!"

Bottom-right to top-left.

https://ultramfcd.com/UltraBridge/Le...PunchHoles.jpg
CJPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:38 AM   #243
CJPN

Hi all,

As promised, here are overlays for both the Mackie Control Pro and the Mackie Control Universal. In order to edit or indeed print these overlays you will require Inkscape, the free vector editing software. The text will not render properly if you try to open either of the SVG files directly in a browser. Punching out the circular holes for the referencing studs, LEDs and buttons (MCU) is made infinitely easier if one acquires a set of hole punches from Amazon or your preferred online junk store.

Download link: Mackie_Control_Overlays_Reaper.zip

-CJPN

Low-res previews:

Last edited by CJPN; 03-20-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:09 AM   #244
Tedsorvino

Quote:
Hi all,

As promised, here are overlays for both the Mackie Control Pro and the Mackie Control Universal. In order to edit or indeed print these overlays you will require Inkscape, the free vector editing software. The text will not render properly if you try to open either of the SVG files directly in a browser. Punching out the circular holes is made infinitely easier if one acquires a set of hole punches from Amazon or your preferred online junk store.

Download link: Mackie_Control_Overlays_Reaper.zip

-CJPN

]

Fantastic work Cjpn. Youwill have exact measurements asap, just to help you double check. It seems like the forum worked its miracles once again. Reaper community rules.

Last edited by Tedsorvino; 02-22-2023 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:45 AM   #245
CJPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsorvino View Post
Fantastic work Cjpn. Youwill have exact measurements asap, just to help you double check. It seems like the forum worked its miracles once again. Reaper community rules.
The LEDs and rivets line up exactly between the MCU and MCP, so one can assume they're the same PCB, just with different buttons. Will not object to manually verifying against actual hardware, mind you.

Edit: Considering the MCP overlay displayed above, the measurement from the left of EQ button button to the right of M8 button should be 169mm. And from the top of Name/Value button to the bottom of Marker button should be 164mm.

Last edited by CJPN; 02-23-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:18 AM   #246
Tedsorvino

Quote:
The LEDs and rivets line up exactly between the MCU and MCP, so one can assume they're the same PCB, just with different buttons. Will not object to manually verifying against actual hardware, mind you.

Edit: Considering the MCP overlay displayed above, the measurement from the left of EQ button button to the right of M8 button should be 169mm. And from the top of Name/Value button to the bottom of Marker button should be 164mm.
Haven't forgotten it, but I won't be with the controller till mid next week. I will let you know by then (if somebody else don't step in for earlier help).
Old 02-25-2023, 04:20 PM   #247
CJPN

Quote:
Haven't forgotten it, but I won't be with the controller till mid next week. I will let you know by then (if somebody else don't step in for earlier help).
And I'm almost certain it measures up.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:34 AM   #248
Tedsorvino

Quote:
And I'm almost certain it measures up.
Yeap. Spot on dimensions. Actually I measured with the overlays provided by Mackie (for other software) and it's the same,
Thanks CJPN. What paper would you advice to print it on? Vinyl photo paper or something else? Even if I had to use a professional printer (for just an one off printing job).
Old 02-28-2023, 09:47 AM   #249
CJPN

Quote:
Yeap. Spot on dimensions. Actually I measured with the overlays provided by Mackie (for other software) and it's the same,
Thanks CJPN. What paper would you advice to print it on? Vinyl photo paper or something else? Even if I had to use a professional printer (for just an one off printing job).
Well, the 40 assignable functions are unique to every user, and indeed one may wish to rearrange said functions based on learning one's own workflow. I printed the MCU versions on the heaviest card my crappy (oh how I miss my Epson Photo printer) £25 HP would cope with.

However, it is obviously possible to print new assignments for the function buttons and glue them on top of whatever you've previously printed.

The fundamental reason for providing the two SVGs is that they're editable, by anybody, for free, in Inkscape.

-CJPN
Old 03-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #250
Tedsorvino

Default Klinke mcu pro track order

Hi. I ‘m quite new to kiinke and mackie mcu pro but quite experienced with reaper.
So my problem is that i’m using a MCP with a track order totally different to the TCP. On the MCU editor show list i’ve chosen the tracks that are shown on the mixer and with the mcu options i’ve chosen Mixer (or even Macke set) but the track order is not the one i have set on my MCP.
Actually it’s more like the TCP order, minus the tracks i’ve chosen not to show in the MCP and MCU with the klinke editor.
Anything i’ve missed or it just can’t be done?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2023, 12:01 AM   #251
tmx

Default Qcon Pro X - touch sensitive faders w/Klinke 0905

Hi,

Reaper 6.78, Icon Qcon Pro-x w/2.08 firmware, Klinke 0905

Does the Klinke extension support the touch-sensitive faders for track selection on the Icon Qcon Pro-X? If so, does anyone know how to enable? I thought I'd read somewhere up-thread that the Pro-X was fully supported, but out of the box, the touch sensitivity is currently not working for me, and I don't see anything in the documentation about it.

Thanks,
-Bob

Last edited by tmx; 05-07-2023 at 12:15 AM.
tmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #252
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmx View Post
Hi,

Reaper 6.78, Icon Qcon Pro-x w/2.08 firmware, Klinke 0905

Does the Klinke extension support the touch-sensitive faders for track selection on the Icon Qcon Pro-X? If so, does anyone know how to enable? I thought I'd read somewhere up-thread that the Pro-X was fully supported, but out of the box, the touch sensitivity is currently not working for me, and I don't see anything in the documentation about it.

Thanks,
-Bob
The touch sensitivity is used e.g. for automation, or showing the details of a FX param while you change it (when this option is enabled in the FX-Mode), but touching the fader does not automatically also select the track, to select the track it is necessary to use the Select buttons. I must admit that I don't see a good use-case for auto-selecting a track when you touch a fader, but maybe you can explain me, what advantage this would have?
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:45 AM   #253
tmx

Thank you for the clarification on how touch sensitivity is used with your plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
I must admit that I don't see a good use-case for auto-selecting a track when you touch a fader, but maybe you can explain me, what advantage this would have?
It's become a matter of convenience, really. ie one physical action instead of two. With that said however, the more time I spend working without it, I'm finding that I really don't miss it all that much.

Thx,
-B
Old 05-29-2023, 10:27 AM   #254
tmx

Hi,

A couple of questions for Klinke:

I'm using an Icon Qcon Pro X with your extension version 0905.

- Is there any method by which the upper and lower displays of the ProX can be swapped?

- Do you foresee a time when your extension might support extenders?

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 06-04-2023, 10:36 AM   #255
Klinke

Quote:
Hi,

A couple of questions for Klinke:

I'm using an Icon Qcon Pro X with your extension version 0905.

- Is there any method by which the upper and lower displays of the ProX can be swapped?
Only when you swap the fader and knobs of the channel strip also. The upper display always shows what you control with the knobs and the lower what you control with faders. What is your situation when you prefer the displays to be swapped?

Quote:
- Do you foresee a time when your extension might support extenders?
If i ever get unemployed and can't find an exciting new project, i'll look into supporting the extenders. So certainly not in the next 2 1/2 years, as my current project will still be running for that long.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:55 AM   #256
tomo34

Quote:
So certainly not in the next 2 1/2 years, as my current project will still be running for that long.
Is it possible to know what the project is? Also related to music equipment?
tomo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:59 AM   #257
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo34 View Post
Is it possible to know what the project is? Also related to music equipment?
I worked for Native Instruments over a decade ago, but have since moved into academia and am currently working on agent-based modelling in the context of high performance computing.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:17 AM   #258
bzctoons

Default Track Follow

Hello,
I installed the latest version of MCP Klinke : 0.9.0.5
It works great but I have to change banks manually
Is there any to make my control surface (Icon M+ platform) to follow the track and activate the good bank
Regards and thanks a lot for your work !!
bzctoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:08 AM   #259
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzctoons View Post
Hello,
I installed the latest version of MCP Klinke : 0.9.0.5
It works great but I have to change banks manually
Is there any to make my control surface (Icon M+ platform) to follow the track and activate the good bank
Regards and thanks a lot for your work !!
Yes, this is the "Follow Reaper" Option. Do change this option, you must first press the Shift-Button and then the Option-Button, then you can adjust the options with the VPots. As it is likely that the M+ does not have this buttons, you can assign computer keyboards to Reaper Actions that simulate the missing buttons on the hardware. Search for Klinke in Reapers Action dialog, and add a shortcut to the corresponding action.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:39 AM   #260
Dehenry

Hi Klinke,

is there any chance that you will implement colored scribble displays on the X-Touch, faster response of the level meters and support of the clip indicator LEDs? These are the only things left on my wishlist. :-)
Old 12-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #261
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehenry View Post
Hi Klinke,

is there any chance that you will implement colored scribble displays on the X-Touch, faster response of the level meters and support of the clip indicator LEDs? These are the only things left on my wishlist. :-)
No, sorry, I don't plan to work on anything from this list.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:40 PM   #262
Dehenry

Ok, thanks for your quick reply and of course for the great tool you have created!
Old 12-03-2023, 04:25 AM   #263
bzctoons

Quote:
Yes, this is the "Follow Reaper" Option. Do change this option, you must first press the Shift-Button and then the Option-Button, then you can adjust the options with the VPots. As it is likely that the M+ does not have this buttons, you can assign computer keyboards to Reaper Actions that simulate the missing buttons on the hardware. Search for Klinke in Reapers Action dialog, and add a shortcut to the corresponding action.
Thanks a lot it works !

Other questions :
- the jog wheel is weird: it increments or decrements the cursor by a step of 0:0.311 only if I turn it slowly (lets say ~1s 1s between each step) if I turn it fastest it does not move the cursor
- the mixer button light on when pressed but nothing happens
- the zoom button have no effect

Thanks for your time
Regards

Regards
bzctoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #264
Stoneglow

Quote:
No, sorry, I don't plan to work on anything from this list.
Hi Klinke,

X-Touch does not respond to my sessions in Reaper so I have tried on a separate laptop with an entirely new install of an older version of Reaper (in case it was due to some new update in the latest version), and it behaves the same.

So we know it is not particular to one laptop or one Reaper instance, or even one version of Reaper (same behaviour on v 6.60 and v 7.02 on two separate laptops)

When we look for it in windows device manager, we don’t see it mentioned.

When I plug it in Windows DOES make the sound to say it’s recognized, and, of course, it DOES appear as an option in Reaper Preferences. But it doesn’t respond to anything in Reaper and it also doesn’t show up (not under the name Behringer or X-Touch anyway - it might be one of the generic USB devices showing?) in Windows Device Manager.

Does the above give you any clues at all as to why this is having such a hard time connecting? Any ideas?

I am using an X-Touch with v 1.22-1.06 firmware and I've chosen Mackie Protocol (Klinke) in Control/OSC/web in Preferences.

Thank you.
Stoneglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:27 AM   #265
Stoneglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneglow View Post
Hi Klinke,

X-Touch does not respond to my sessions in Reaper so I have tried on a separate laptop with an entirely new install of an older version of Reaper (in case it was due to some new update in the latest version), and it behaves the same.

So we know it is not particular to one laptop or one Reaper instance, or even one version of Reaper (same behaviour on v 6.60 and v 7.02 on two separate laptops)

When we look for it in windows device manager, we don’t see it mentioned.

When I plug it in Windows DOES make the sound to say it’s recognized, and, of course, it DOES appear as an option in Reaper Preferences. But it doesn’t respond to anything in Reaper and it also doesn’t show up (not under the name Behringer or X-Touch anyway - it might be one of the generic USB devices showing?) in Windows Device Manager.

Does the above give you any clues at all as to why this is having such a hard time connecting? Any ideas?

I am using an X-Touch with v 1.22-1.06 firmware and I've chosen Mackie Protocol (Klinke) in Control/OSC/web in Preferences.

Thank you.
Just in case this happens to anyone else in the future. Take it back where you bought it and exchange it and don't waste hours of your time over days trying to troubleshoot a dud!

I ended up paying a guy on Fiverr.com to troubleshoot this with me and I can save you $80 and suggest a fantastic test of whether or not your issue is the actual control surface being faulty:

1 - Download MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.mi...om/moxdown.htm) and run it and choose your control surface in MIDI devices (make sure Reaper is not running, nor is any other program that might be using your control surface as a connection)

2 - This has your control surface acting as a MIDI controller so start pressing ANY buttons, moving ANY sliders, etc. You should see MIDI information appearing in MIDI-OX

3 - If MIDI information is appearing it means your control surface is capable of communicating with your computer and is sending MIDI andiyour connection issue in Reaper is legitimately a connection issue - the hardware is working fine

4 - If no MIDI information is appearing it means your control surface is not communicating with your computer and there is nothing you can do in Reaper to fix this

5 - Obviously, make sure your usb and power cables are plugged in properly and snugly into the control surface (I know it sounds obvious but it's easy to think your control surface cannot connect when you just didn't push the cable in snugly enough)

If the above test has your control surface failing to send MIDI data OUTSIDE of the Reaper environment, take it back to where you bought it and exchange it like I did. And then breathe a sigh of relief when the new one connects easily and quickly.
Stoneglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:47 PM   #266
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzctoons View Post
Thanks a lot it works !

Other questions :
- the jog wheel is weird: it increments or decrements the cursor by a step of 0:0.311 only if I turn it slowly (lets say ~1s 1s between each step) if I turn it fastest it does not move the cursor
- the mixer button light on when pressed but nothing happens
- the zoom button have no effect

Thanks for your time
Regards

Regards
Sorry, didn't got/saw a notification.

I also have a M+, but use it for another private project (a VST step sequencer that is controlled by a M+ and X+ combination). So I just compared the code of both projects and found this:

The Jog-Wheel on the original MCU and also in the QCon ProX send always the same midi message, and this in a faster rate when you turn the wheel faster, it seems that the M+ behave different, it uses the 3rd byte of the midi message to transport the speed. Unfortunatly this is not an easy change in the CSurf code, but I have added this as an Issue to the Issue tracker of my repository.

The Mixer button send the same MIDI message as the Marker on the MCU, so you can use this button to switch between Marker-Mode and Normal-Mode (in Marker Mode the transport buttons are jumping to the previous/next marker).

The Zoom buttons are changing the MIDI messages send by the Jog-Wheel. When you press one of those, then they send the same MIDI-Message as when you press an arrow button on the MCU. The problem is: They never send the MIDI-Message that a MCU sends when you release the arrow button, and this messages are important for my implementation :-(