CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
PaterFamilias
Human being with feelings

Default Record with all tracks muted

Hi
How to mute all tracks when pressing the record button except one track that armed for recording ? I can not find that action.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
whiteaxxxe
Banned

maybe there is no action for that.

because it doesnt really make sense to record and not hearing the other tracks???
Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
PaterFamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
maybe there is no action for that.

because it doesnt really make sense to record and not hearing the other tracks???
For VO work really make sense. Mic should receive only my voice, but not already recorded stuff.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
13lues

How many tracks are you having to mute? Doing it manually shouldn't take more than a few seconds.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaterFamilias View Post
For VO work really make sense. Mic should receive only my voice, but not already recorded stuff.
If the mic track is receiving input from other tracks, then something definitely is fishy. I assume you use an ASIO driver?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
PaterFamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lues View Post
How many tracks are you having to mute? Doing it manually shouldn't take more than a few seconds.
From 5 to 10 tracks. I'm already doing that manually for every and each sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
If the mic track is receiving input from other tracks, then something definitely is fishy. I assume you use an ASIO driver?
I use wave-out. What is the deference ? With headphones mic is not sensitive. But with speakers (ASIO or wave-out) mic is sensitive.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
cincikat69

Quote:
I use wave-out. What is the deference ? With headphones mic is not sensitive. But with speakers (ASIO or wave-out) mic is sensitive.
I take it that you are using the mic in the same space as your monitors/speakers? That is not a good idea, and why your mic is more "sensitive"...you are creating a signal loop. Use the headphones, no speakers, and increase the input gain to your mic. Then you can hear the other recorded tracks, and still record new ones.

If you are doing VO work, how do you hear your cues if you have the other tracks muted?

And the difference is that ASIO is a more stable, faster latency time driver...wave-out is just a built in sound driver, and is not ideally suitable for real audio work. What is your interface, or are you just using the on-board mic input of your computer?

Edit: Just saw your other thread about the "workaround", and you need to use the ASIO driver that comes with your Focusrite Scarlett interface. That is what it is designed to work properly with.

Last edited by cincikat69; 05-22-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
frkasper

Quote:
Hi
How to mute all tracks when pressing the record button except one track that armed for recording ? I can not find that action.
Not sure if it helps, but prior to recording (Ctrl-R keyboard shortcut), I move the mouse over the M (mute button) of the armed track and do (Alt + Left Mouse Button). It mutes all the tracks but the one you're with the cursor at.

Just love keyboard shortcuts. They are documented.

Hope this helps.
Fabio
Old 05-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
stereolost

You can make two simple macros:
First one:
1. Mute all tracks.
2. Unmute tracks (so only the one selected is unmuted)
3. Transport: record.

Second in the "Main (alt recording section)":
1. Transport: stop, save all recorded media
2. Unmute all tracks.

If you don't want some tracks to mute/unmute in the process, just lock them.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
PaterFamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikat69 View Post
I take it that you are using the mic in the same space as your monitors/speakers?
Mic is in front of me. Speakers are near to monitor.
Quote:
If you are doing VO work, how do you hear your cues if you have the other tracks muted?
A shortcut on - "Tracks: unmute all tracks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frkasper View Post
Not sure if it helps, but prior to recording (Ctrl-R keyboard shortcut), I move the mouse over the M (mute button) of the armed track and do (Alt + Left Mouse Button). It mutes all the tracks but the one you're with the cursor at.

Just love keyboard shortcuts. They are documented.

Hope this helps.
Fabio
Sounds good. + "Tracks: unmute all tracks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereolost View Post
You can make two simple macros:
First one:
1. Mute all tracks.
2. Unmute tracks (so only the one selected is unmuted)
3. Transport: record.

Second in the "Main (alt recording section)":
1. Transport: stop, save all recorded media
2. Unmute all tracks.

If you don't want some tracks to mute/unmute in the process, just lock them.
To complicate for my level of Reaper. But I will give it a try.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #11
cincikat69

I'm not sure you understand...

By monitors, I mean your audio monitors/speakers...not your computer monitor.

And using your mic to record while using those is a bad idea. You are getting more sensitivity because the mic is getting the source signal and the sound from the speakers at the same time. Which is why I said before that you are creating a signal loop, which adds more noise (which you said in your other thread that you are having trouble with). Use your phones when recording through the mic, and increase the gain on your preamp/interface to get a better input signal...more "sensitivity". Then there is no need for doing all the unnecessary macro muting, or any muting, for that matter.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #12
PaterFamilias

Quote:
I'm not sure you understand...

By monitors, I mean your audio monitors/speakers...not your computer monitor.

And using your mic to record while using those is a bad idea. You are getting more sensitivity because the mic is getting the source signal and the sound from the speakers at the same time. Which is why I said before that you are creating a signal loop, which adds more noise (which you said in your other thread that you are having trouble with). Use your phones when recording through the mic, and increase the gain on your preamp/interface to get a better input signal...more "sensitivity". Then there is no need for doing all the unnecessary macro muting, or any muting, for that matter.
There is other problem more important for me than the mic "sensitivity" I can not concentrate on narrating when I hear my previous narration (on multiple tracks) + original track (in French) from speakers even if mic doesn't catch much from. I record chunk by chunk. I lessen a chunk of a dialog (unmute) then I record that chunk (mute all) in whatever language and then "Tracks: unmute all tracks". I will experiment with speakers level and I try to get accustomed to narrate hearing a dialog from speakers without muting. Maybe lowering a volume will not distract me from narrating. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
Use headphones to monitor yourself. Even cheap ones or cheap ear buds will be better than fighting physics. If something is uncomfortable with the sound in the headphones - work on that (eq, limiter, whatever). Fixing the headphone monitor sound will be a much easier battle than trying to record parts you want to be isolated in a room with the live mix blaring.

As for muting tracks that you don't want to hear during tracking (ie. stuff you want in the final mix but is distracting when trying to record a specific part)...

If there are a number of them so that it is annoying to click through the mutes - 3 options:

1. Drag the tracks in question into a group (ie all in a row). You can now mute/unmute with a click and drag across the row of mute buttons. (FYI: The click+drag move works for solo, rec arm, and in the matrix too.)

2. Group the mute function for tracks in question. Mute/unmute them from just one track.

3. Route the tracks in question to a new track used as a bus. Mute/unmute the bus.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
RJHollins

SOLO button the track being recorded ??
Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #15
PaterFamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 AM   #16
Grisemine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
That is WAY TOO SIMPLE for REAPER !!!
You are spoiling all the fun...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
ivansc

OK I actually DID laugh out loud at that.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
RJHollins

well .... my BAD.

Sorry for spoiling .... :|