Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a log file to trace crashes?

So I'm working on the most complex song I've done in Linux, and now towards the end I'm crashing a lot. I suspect it is some effect, and have tried disabling some that I suspected, but it just did it again for about the twentieth time, and I have to reboot every time because REAPER won't complete the initialization the next time after a crash.

Anyway, I'm going to reboot now and see if I can make the final little changes to the mix before I'm done with this one.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
cfillion

Running REAPER like this will give you a stack trace (gdb is the GNU debugger):

Code:
gdb reaper -ex run -ex bt
Very odd that a reboot would be required to try again... If it freezes, press Ctrl+C in the gdb window to interrupt the process and get the stack trace.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-05-2018 at 09:00 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Running REAPER like this will give you a stack trace (gdb is the GNU debugger):

Code:
gdb reaper -ex run -ex bt
Very odd that a reboot would be required to try again... If it freezes, press Ctrl+C in the gdb window to interrupt the process and get the stack trace.
The symptom I've been seeing is that while making edits to this project, REAPER goes >POOF< and is vaporized. Then upon trying to start it back up, it freezes at the "Initializing" splash screen.

Funny thing is, launching REAPER with the debug command seems to be making it crash proof now, which makes me think some timing thing might be coming into play. I hammered on the song while running it in debug mode and never got a blink, but more than twenty times today while making final edits it vaporized on me.

This project is way over the top for me, and has five instances of Guitar Rig on four guitars plus a bass. Normally I would use a real amp and mic, but this was intentionally sort of a stress test project.

There have been recent threads that won't die about guitar sims vs. real, and while I almost always use real, I decided to see how restricted I would be if I had to use all amp sims, and play EZ-Drummer from my midi keyboard.

I finally did get this thing mixed.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13790607
-

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-05-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

If you run this before running REAPER:
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited
Then use REAPER as normal, if it dies it should dump a core file, which you can then attach a debugger to (after the fact), using:
Code:
gdb path/to/the/binary path/to/the/core
Having said that, more usefully -- you can send us a copy of the core (and tell us the exact REAPER build used), and we can have a look with debug info to get to the root of it.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited
Then use REAPER as normal, if it dies it should dump a core file, which you can then attach a debugger to (after the fact), using:
Code:
Having said that, more usefully -- you can send us a copy of the core (and tell us the exact REAPER build used), and we can have a look with debug info to get to the root of it.
I'll see if I can get a dump using your command.

Starting REAPER up with "gdb reaper -ex run -ex bt" command that cfillion suggested, I finally got it to blow, although running with that command, REAPER did not close, but instead became unresponsive with pages of this message scrolling in the terminal window.

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = REAPER was not finished, state = Triggered

So I terminated REAPER from the task manager and this final stuff displayed.

0046:fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DestroyNotify window 0x20266/9600001 destroyed from the outside
003c:fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DestroyNotify window 0x20262/9400001 destroyed from the outside
Cannot write socket fd = 15 err = Connection reset by peer
CheckRes error
Could not write notification
ClientNotify fails name = REAPER notification = 3 val1 = 0 val2 = 0
Cannot write socket fd = 15 err = Broken pipe
CheckRes error
CheckRes error
CheckRes error
Unknown request 4294967295
CheckSize error size = 0 Size() = 12
CheckRead error
RemoteVSTServer::terminate: setting exiting flagRemoteVSTServer::terminate: setting exiting flag

0057:fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafeaffe), STUB!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited
Code:
OK, I opened a terminal window and issued the command,

ulimit -c unlimited

Then I started REAPER up from my icon as usual, did some editing for about five or ten minutes and it vaporized.

I know the path to the REAPER binary, but I have no idea where a dump file might have been written.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
OK, I opened a terminal window and issued the command,

ulimit -c unlimited

Then I started REAPER up from my icon as usual, did some editing for about five or ten minutes and it vaporized.

I know the path to the REAPER binary, but I have no idea where a dump file might have been written.
Sorry you need to run it from that same terminal (/opt/REAPER/reaper or whatever)
Old 10-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Sorry you need to run it from that same terminal (/opt/REAPER/reaper or whatever)
OK, I did that but what happened was after about 10 minutes of editing, REAPER vaporized, and the terminal window was in an infinite loop displaying this.

I don't think whatever process it is that writes a crash dump is getting a chance to do anything, because there is never the slightest pause between the last action I perform and the instantaneous vaporization of REAPER.

If I'm wrong about that, I still don't know where to look for a crash dump. Doesn't seem to be one in the REAPER folder with the executable, nor in my home folder.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
OK, I did that but what happened was after about 10 minutes of editing, REAPER vaporized, and the terminal window was in an infinite loop displaying this.

I don't think whatever process it is that writes a crash dump is getting a chance to do anything, because there is never the slightest pause between the last action I perform and the instantaneous vaporization of REAPER.

If I'm wrong about that, I still don't know where to look for a crash dump. Doesn't seem to be one in the REAPER folder with the executable, nor in my home folder.
Hmm yeah, can you try using it in ALSA mode rather than Jack to see if that lets it crash?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Hmm yeah, can you try using it in ALSA mode rather than Jack to see if that lets it crash?
My son was over and we managed to get REAPER to vaporize while running with some debugging, and got a 1.3GB Core Dump, which is too large for uploading, but we also got these two possibly helpful lines out of a kernel log.

-- kern.log --
Oct 6 13:42:45 DAW-Linux kernel: [14646.441374] show_signal_msg: 13 callbacks suppressed
Oct 6 13:42:45 DAW-Linux kernel: [14646.441377] IRCalculation[6151]: segfault at 10 ip 00007feac7573696 sp 00007fea6dbf9ca8 error 6 in libc-2.27.so[7feac74b8000+1e7000]

This particular project was using more instances of Guitar Rig than I've ever used in any project in Windows, as I would normally use my real guitar amp and mic it.

I have more than 25 instances of LinVST running, with five of them hosting Guitar Rig and one hosting Konatakt, plus Jack is set for 128 samples, so I'm really surprised that it works at all.

The only reason for my post was that I thought REAPER opened a log by default that would maybe point me to a plugin that I could temporarily disable while editing, and re-enable for rendering.

The symptom seems to be that I can play the song all day long, and nothing happens, but if I start editing either midi events in piano roll, or chop audio clips up and move them around, when I hit play REAPER will close the absolute second I hit play after performing some kind of edit. It was not happening until I had finished all the recording, and was adding more and more FX for mixing, and then it got where ten or so minutes of making edits would vaporize.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Try gzip or xz'ing the core file, it might be small enough to put on dropbox or google drive or something... definitely don't post it publicly though, send support at cockos dot com a link.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Try gzip or xz'ing the core file, it might be small enough to put on dropbox or google drive or something... definitely don't post it publicly though, send support at cockos dot com a link.
It gzipped down to 27.7MB. Can I send that direct to support at cockos dot com? I've never setup any online storage anywhere.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
It gzipped down to 27.7MB. Can I send that direct to support at cockos dot com? I've never setup any online storage anywhere.
Maybe use https://wetransfer.com/ ?