Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
brummbear
Human being with feelings

Default ReaKontrol: Komplete Kontrol Mk2 deep integration with Reaper

... moving this into the proper subforum (some history is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191158)

ReaKontrol Plugin Extension for Reaper
Deep DAW Integration going beyond MCU:
- Komplete Kontrol Instance Focus
- Transport Control
- Mixer Control / Control Surface Functions
- Extended Edit Control for Looping and Arranging
- Custom Actions and Scripts

This is a fork of the repository originally started by James Teh.
ReaKontrol supports Komplete Kontrol S-series Mk2 keyboards on PCs running Windows and MacOs*
A-series and M-series are supported with less functionality.

Technical Notes
The plugin is a single small file coded in C++. A strong emphasis is put on CPU efficiency. All basic functions follow NI's design intent for the officially supported DAWs to maintain maximum compatibility with future updates of NI's drivers and firmware.

Known Limitations
Reaper may crash on startup if another program has already claimed the keyboard MIDI device before Reaper starts. To avoid this, start Reaper before e.g. running stand-alone Komplete Kontrol or stand alone Maschine Software in parallel with Reaper. Once Reaper is running any number of programs using the keyboard MIDI device can run simultaneously.

Download incl manual: https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/releases
Installation: see manual (link above) or use ReaPack (https://reapack.com/)
*MacOS Users are advised to use the manual installation method rather than ReaPack. The latest release of Mac Binaries (ARM and x86) can be downloaded here: https://github.com/cheslijones/reaKo...ses/tag/Latest

Please check out the short manual. You must disable the Komplete Kontrol DAW MIDI device for ReaKontrol to work properly: Options>Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices: The Device “Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1” (S-series) or “Komplete Kontrol A DAW” or “Komplete Kontrol M DAW” (A/M-Series) should be disabled as input and output. Leave your normal Komplete Kontrol MIDI Device enabled.

Last edited by brummbear; 03-06-2024 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Release v1.01
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
brummbear

New release available: ReaKontrol v0.93
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...eases/tag/0.93

Changes from previous release:
+ 4D Encoder LEDs for track navigation implemented
+ Refocus bank: Also scroll TCP and MCP view in Reaper to show selected track
+ Change volume of selected track with 4D encoder: Coarse = 1dB per step, Fine = 0.1dB per step
+ Change scrubbing: move cursor to next/previous grid division
+ CLEAR button: Remove active take(s) one by one (very useful after e.g. loop recording)
+ COUNT-IN button: Start recording with a count-in
+ QUANTIZE: Toggle MIDI Input quantize for selected track (note: no visual feedback on keyboard rg quantize state)
+ LOOP & 4D Encoder rotate: Shift time selection forward/backwards

Preview for upcoming release:
The next release will introduce "Extended Edit / Arranger" functions in ReaKontrol not currently offered by NI's deep integration for any other DAW...
They will be useful when live looping, layering or quickly sketching phrases and small arrangements.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
X-Raym

Hi,

Not owner of a NI keyboard yet but many thanks for working on this, and sharing it !

As extension, it could be shared via Reapack, for best delivery to users., as they will get every update.

If you need help your repo reapack friendly, don't hesitate to contact me of cfillion and we wll help you on that.

Or you can simply propose your .dll to https://github.com/ReaTeam/Extensions at every update. So you don't have to take care of anything else than uploading the dll.

Cheers !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Regisfofo

Hi! I don't own a Komplete kontrol but I have some question.I doubt it is possible but I'll ask anyway!
Any chance we could assign the knobs to control some plugins ? Maybe via lbx smartknob ?

Cheers!
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
As extension, it could be shared via Reapack, for best delivery to users., as they will get every update.
Good point - will put it on Reapack too (I already have a jsfx there anyway). Thanks for the reminder
Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Slotunes

Default S49 Comes alive!

Hello, first off Thank you so much for your expertise and time!I just received a S49 Mk2 and plugged in your fix and it works great! I can now use the transport and mixer and this makes it a great well rounded package! Still learning, but makes things much easier! Thanks again!
Slotunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
themixtape

I don't own a MK2 nor plan on it, but THANKS for this. Hack these damn newer NI controllers so we can actually USE that encoder, the transport stuff, etc. Love it. Thank you for your hard work.

This is so important-- keep midi controllers COMPLETELY customizable. Completely.

High-five!!!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
This is so important-- keep midi controllers COMPLETELY customizable. Completely.
High-five!!!
+1 !
Does the way described here also allows for using CSI on the NI controllers to really accomplish this or does Geoff need to do some more work to make this happen ?

-Michael (No MK either)

Last edited by mschnell; 07-19-2019 at 04:59 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
brummbear

The basic functionality of ReaKontrol can be replicated with CSI (Transport Control, Mixer, ....). What requires dedicated code is KK instance focus and the upcoming (next release) extended edit functions which allow to use the keyboard for simple live looping and arranger stuff.
The NI midi protocol is very primitive (actually even more primitive than a fully implemented MCU protocol) in that it does not even allow to detect button hold/release events, which limits some possibilities that would be more user friendly. On the other hand NIs OSC protocol supposedly gives you tremendous flexibility in combination with the two screens of the S series Mk2. At the end of the day the devil is in the detail I guess. I simply wanted something that fits my workflow and is most frugal on CPU. That’s the whole story why I wrote this thingy. BTW: You can even hijack the protocol with JSFX if you feel like it...
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
mschnell

Sorry for my ignorance. The background cause I asked is:
- to allow CSI to read and output the Midi messages it would need to see a standard Midi software device (seems you answered this to be in place)
- the Midi messages created and read by the device need to allow for a versatile enough workflow (seems you answered this by "partly")
- CSI does not (yet) feature OSC connectivity. Seems that you suggest that the KK would allow for better workflow when using OSC. OTOH individual OSC implementations tend to be a lot more complicated than Midi protocols. Hence either an appropriate documentation or a lot of reverse engineering effort would be necessary to use it. Moreover the KK does not seem to feature an Ethernet socket, hence it's OSC protocol would appear in some kind of software environment (transported via USB). As thgere is no "OSC driver" standard, any 3rd party software using OSC would use the OSes TCP/IP socket interface (i.e. UDP) to access the OSC stream. So somehow the NI driver would need to take care for that.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-20-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #11
zookthespook

what this will come handy !
i have KK mk2 , will try it out today !

thank you

zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
What requires dedicated code is KK instance focus and the upcoming (next release) extended edit functions which allow to use the keyboard for simple live looping and arranger stuff.
Interesting !! (See the "Live" subforum.)
Utilizing (or creating) appropriate add-ons, Reaper can be a perfect basis for stuff like this. But I do vote for doing/maintaining something that is not hooked to some dedicated hardware, but (similar as CSI) allows for being adopted to a wide range of controllers and intended workflow.
-Michael
Old 07-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
brummbear

Default ReaKontrol v0.94

New release available: ReaKontrol v0.94
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v0.94

Now with "Extended Edit / Arranger" functions. Especially useful for looping, layering or quickly sketching phrases and small arrangements.

Changes from previous release:
+ Extended Edit Mode with additional commands
+ Insert New Track (read the manual how to automatically insert KK VSTi on new tracks)
+ Remove Selected Track
+ Toggle Record Arm of Selected Track
+ Change Tempo (Project or Marker, +/- 1 bpm increments)
+ Change Loop Length (+/- 1 beat increments)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #14
EvilDragon

Good stuff!

I was wondering if it's possible to have METRO+4D outside of extended mode, maybe?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Good stuff!

I was wondering if it's possible to have METRO+4D outside of extended mode, maybe?
Unfortunately, this is not really practical due to limitations in NI's MIDI protocol. It would require changes in NIHIA or intercepting the USB bus communication directly (HID messages). NI's MIDI protocol does neither allow to freely discriminate button press/hold/release events nor simultaneous button presses (with the exception of per-configured stuff that follows NI's design intent). Also, NI's MIDI protocol does not allow full control over all button lights. If these things were more freely configurable I would have used TEMPO + 4D as suggested by you initially - outside of extended mode.
The current design philosophy of ReaKontrol is to follow NI's design 1:1 for all the standard functions. Compare with NI's manual for Ableton, Logic etc and you will find it is basically the same. All extra functionality requires a bit of creative coding to stay within the given constraints of NI's MIDI protocol. The advantage of this approach is that things won't break that easily when NI updates KK, NIHIA or the keyboard's firmware.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
BluGenes

just for the sake of people not familiar with github, etc.. explain how to get this and install it. thanks!

disclaimer - I do have a github account and already know this.. but, musicians will be musicians and may not know this..
BluGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:25 AM   #17
BobF

Default Thanks

brummbear -

Thank you so much for doing this. I just picked up my KKS61-2 a few days ago.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #18
Reefius

Thanks for making this! I was getting annoyed by MCU because it basically only has transport controls, and then I found this extension. Totally awesome!
Reefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
themixtape

Could you create a modified extension that allows the jog wheel/encoder to do other stuff? Up/down would be great for track previous/track next (since most of us use Reaper in track/arrangement view) and left/right would be previous/next marker... maybe spinning could jog left/right by measure...

I set up a similar thing for my midi controller/Reaper project... it seems to match the directions a little more logically... but this is still REALLY dope and we are all thankful you took the time to set this up. Thanks again!

Last edited by themixtape; 10-07-2019 at 09:01 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Could you create a modified extension that allows...
A much more viable way than adding dedicated snippets to the thing would be to allow it to work as an input for the CSI extension.

-Michael
Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #21
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A much more viable way than adding dedicated snippets to the thing would be to allow it to work as an input for the CSI extension.

-Michael
The keyboard could be used with CSI today, no intermediary layer needed. As I already explained earlier the keyboard outputs a simple MIDI protocol which is well documented by now. Just look at my or Driven by Moss source code - no big mystery. You could directly interface with CSI, really simple.

However, CSI to my best knowledge does not provide the means to do some very special things like instance focus (one of the most useful things that NI has brought to the keyboard world thanks to KK). For this to work with CSI one would need to program a special layer. Another example is the correct calibration of the peak meters. While they will wiggle using CSI they will not show the exact same dB values on the keyboard’s display as they do in Reaper on your computer display (Driven by Moss has the same problem btw when I last checked). Or some of the advanced edit functions introduced recently. Once you start programming such a layer you may as well include all the remaining functions into it. This ends up to be less work than having both an intermediary layer plus CSI at work. It is also mir efficient on CPU.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #22
mschnell

Quote:
... instance focus ...
I'm just a lurker here, having lost interest in using a KK keyboard a long time ago, so I don't even know what instance focus is.

If instance focus is a really valuable kind of workflow, it should be made known to Geoff, so that he can implement it in CSI (if not there is a similar thing already doable).

Right now CSI is under very agile development, so any issue should be reported in the "CSI" thread to allow it to be fixed.

-Michael
Old 09-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #23
_Stevie_

@brummbear: looking at the development with envy. Is there anything I could do to help you to make this work with an MK1?
Old 09-27-2019, 01:09 AM   #24
skylinkdave

Halp! My M32 partially works in Reaper - the knobs and transport buttons work, but the keyboard itself does not. I was able to get my M32 to work in FL Studio, but Reaper is still giving me fits. I'm including a screenshot of my MIDI settings in Reaper just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper midi settings.png (27.8 KB, 862 views)
skylinkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
@brummbear: looking at the development with envy. Is there anything I could do to help you to make this work with an MK1?
Unfortunately, since I do not own a MK1 I cannot think of anything that I could change or test to make it work. You would have to code it yourself. In fact, James Teh made an attempt once and the original sources are structured in a way to detect a MK1. However, James finally failed as he also had no MK1 to test with.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #26
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinkdave View Post
Halp! My M32 partially works in Reaper - the knobs and transport buttons work, but the keyboard itself does not. I was able to get my M32 to work in FL Studio, but Reaper is still giving me fits. I'm including a screenshot of my MIDI settings in Reaper just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
Your MIDI settings should not be the problem. Maybe something trivial? Did you set track input to the M32 MIDI, Monitor Input?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:55 AM   #27
_Stevie_

Quote:
Unfortunately, since I do not own a MK1 I cannot think of anything that I could change or test to make it work. You would have to code it yourself. In fact, James Teh made an attempt once and the original sources are structured in a way to detect a MK1. However, James finally failed as he also had no MK1 to test with.
Damn, I really hoped I could maybe run some debug code to provide you with the missing information.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #28
kaeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Damn, I really hoped I could maybe run some debug code to provide you with the missing information.
In the same boat as Stevie.

The only functionality I am missing on my MK1 is track focus.
kaeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #29
skylinkdave

Quote:
Your MIDI settings should not be the problem. Maybe something trivial? Did you set track input to the M32 MIDI, Monitor Input?
I seem to have had a little bit more success. When I enabled my M32 on a track, I was able to record some notes, but still got no sound while playing live (until I saved the audio file and played it back).

Is it possible to get a KK controller to work within Reaper, or can it only be done while recording to a track? Is this a limitation with the M32 in Reaper?

Edit/update: I installed the DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper extension and I get the exact same functionality as I do from the ReaKontrol extension. The transport controls work, the knobs work, and I can record to a track with no sound, but the keyboard itself still does not work within Reaper itself.

Edit/update #2: I turned on "Record monitoring" for the track, and I can now hear what I'm playing while recording to a track. So I'm like 75% there...

Edit/update #3: With "Record monitoring" turned on and the track armed for recording, I can now play and hear the instrument on that track even while not recording. I think that does it!

Edit/update #4: A bit of advice: Download and install the ASIO driver to remove/reduce latency.

Consider this case solved, I'm happy with how it works in Reaper now. Thank you for everything!

Last edited by skylinkdave; 10-17-2019 at 09:34 PM.
skylinkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #30
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinkdave View Post
Consider this case solved, I'm happy with how it works in Reaper now. Thank you for everything!
Glad you figured Reaper out which can take a while if you are coming from another DAW. I would suggest you still read the ReaKontrol manual, especially all the recommended Reaper settings (like Automatic Record Arm etc). These settings can enhance your workflow tremendously.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #31
Stroudy

I wouldn't know where to start myself, but is this portable to mac?

I actually spoke to a NI person where his colleagues are working on Kontrol - it seems that it'll be sometime before Reaper gets integrated.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
I wouldn't know where to start myself, but is this portable to mac?

I actually spoke to a NI person where his colleagues are working on Kontrol - it seems that it'll be sometime before Reaper gets integrated.
Sure. It shouldn’t be hard to do this for someone with a Mac and a little background compiling from source. I have made the sources available on GitHub. Reaper API used by the plugin is platform agnostic.

You may want to check tips about Xcode on Mac in this thread in case you want to try it yourself.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169032

Last edited by brummbear; 10-15-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #33
Stroudy

Quote:
Sure. It shouldn’t be hard to do this for someone with a Mac and a little background compiling from source. I have made the sources available on GitHub. Reaper API used by the plugin is platform agnostic.

You may want to check tips about Xcode on Mac in this thread in case you want to try it yourself.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169032
OK, that looks a lot more time consuming than I had hoped. I would definitely had spent the time on this back when I was freelance, but alas I can't spare THAT much time now.

I'll put up a forum post to see if there are any helpful mac devs who'd give it a go.

Thanks for your time - can't wait to try this at some point
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #34
brummbear

Maybe my suggestion to check out the other thread about tips for Xcode caused more confusion than being helpful.... I just meant there may be some useful bits in there to set up your build environment on Mac. Personally, I have not used any of those tips - I simply used scons as suggested by James Teh (you can find all that stuff in my GitHub repository). Since I do not have a Mac I cannot give hands on advice how to build from source in that environment. What I do know is that scons will work on Mac too. It may be just a few configuration buttons that one would have to adjust to make it build the whole thingy. Anyway, good luck!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #35
altura

Default Transport integration with komplete kontrol s61 is not working.

Hi!
I just purchased a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 mk2. I have installed the Reaper_kontrol.dll in the user plugin folder as instructed. I have not enabled the Komplete kontrol under midi device. Still, the transport function doesn't work.

I don't really recognize the instances in midi device you refer to in the manual. The instances I have after plugging in KK is Komplete kontrol-1 and komplete ext-1. There is no Komplete Daw-1. The manual says you should not change the name but in the next sentence it says that the alias should be Komplete Daw-1!?

The komplete kontrol plugin works just fine. I can select plugins and so on but I can't control anything in the daw, track focus, transport and so forth. Any thoughts?

I´m running reaper on a pc with win 10.

Last edited by altura; 10-26-2019 at 07:45 AM.
altura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #36
altura

Default still having some problems

Ok, so now I have got the transport functions to work. It seems I had some USB port issues. But I miss many of the other functions like undo, redo, insert new track and so forth.

I'm not sure of what to do under midi device? Which instances should be enabled/disabled. There are 3 instances that are komplete kontrol related; Komplete Kontrol-1, Komplete kontrol Daw-1 and Komplete kontrol ext-1.

The manual says that Komplete kontrol Daw-1 should be disabled but what about the other two?

I would really appreciate some help!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #37
brummbear

altura, when you switch on your S-series keyboard many of the buttons (like UNDO, QUANTIZE, AUTO,...etc) are not lit. This is normal.

If everything is installed correctly then - upon starting Reaper - these buttons will get illuminated.

Q1: Can you please confirm if the buttons get illuminated when you start Reaper?

If they do not get lit you have an issue with the detection of the keyboard and/or the NIHIA drivers. As per manual:

Troubleshooting if your keyboard does not get detected after launching Reaper:
* The keyboard must be switched on before starting Reaper.
* The NIHostIntegrationAgent Service must be running. If in doubt check it in Windows Task Manager and restart the service.
* The MIDI Device name must be exactly “Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1”.
* Do not rename the dll filename.

Q2: You stated that you got transport control working. Did you use MCU control surface to do that? If so, don't. You cannot have both MCU and NI's deep integration protocol running.

If you suspect that you have some USB port issues you may also want to restart NIHardwareService. Try in the following order:
1. switch off keyboard
2. restart NIHardwareService
3. restart NIHostIntegrationAgent
4. switch on the keyboard
5. start Reaper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TM.jpg (25.5 KB, 13503 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #38
altura

Default Up and running!

Thank you for your help but I went with the "Moss plugin" for the time being. I will try the ReaKontrol later on. I think there are more features on ReaKontrol.

Thank you again, I very much appreciate your effort to help me!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #39
mschnell

Quote:
The keyboard could be used with CSI today, no intermediary layer needed. As I already explained earlier the keyboard outputs a simple MIDI protocol which is well documented by now.
If I understand your previous messages correctly, this "simple MIDI protocol" transports by far less button etc actions in either direction than your extension is able to work with.

I just in a private discussion was asked about possibilities to use the controls on the keyboard in a versatile way in a live situation. Also see -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228365

To support as well standard "Control Surface" workflow, as versatile live playing workflow, it would be best to have a Reaper extension that implements a decent (propriety) bidirectional Midi protocol for all this stuff and creates a virtual Miidi device in Reaper (accessible in the preferences setup) that as well CSI as any tracks (holding JSFX plugins for processing / generating Midi in a versatile way) can attach to.

Alternatively, OSC might be an option to attach to CSI (which recently gort OSC awareness) as already discussed here -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191158&page=3 . But this does not easily help with live usage.

(Moreover I recommended a small NI Komplte Kontrol keyboard to a friend of mine, who is a vivid Reaper user and supposedly some day soon will come up with appropriate question on how top do something he might be thinking of with the buttons and displays.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #40
Martin777

Default Mixer view, only show tracks visible in MCP

As a long-term Reaper user and a new KK S88 MK2 owner I‘m very glad this great integration exists.

Feature request: It would be nice if only those tracks that are visible in the Reaper mixer control panel are shown in the KK mixer view on the keyboard, instead of all tracks being shown including those that are hidden in Reaper‘s mixer panel.

Regards
Martin
Martin777 is offline   Reply With Quote