Old 02-25-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
Hog
Human being with feelings

Default Mix/Master question

Hi,

I was wondering if this looks a bit clipped? If it is, what do I need to do?

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87452073_242608193407400_551334927333851136_n.jpg (50.4 KB, 167 views)
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
OldTascam

Clipped? No. In fact, you have over 10 decibels of headroom available. Now, does your project contain an audio item(s) that were clipped at some point? It's possible. What's in it?
OldTascam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
DVDdoug

How does it sound?

There are some clip repair tools. Izotope RX has one and Audacity has one and I'm sure you can find others.

I've tried Audacity once on a commercial CD that sounded over-compressed/limited/distorted and although it made the waveform look better it didn't fix the sound.

That CD was probably over-compressed and over-limited and who-knows what was done, and maybe restoration works better on "clean digital clipping". But, when the waveform is clipped (or limited) the original height & shape of is permanently lost so it can never be accurately restored, it can only be approximated.

In theory, compression can be reversed but in the real world you usually don't know the parameters, it could be something complex like multi-band compression, or EQ may have been applied after compression, and if the individual tracks were compressed before mixing, that's impossible to reverse.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Hi,

Cheers
You're asking because of the obvious limited look to the waveforms right?

You can trust the metering in Reaper and you can always zoom in on the waveforms to have a look if you still don't.

Get familiar with the mastered levels that are in use nowadays.
More classy stuff (and the actual eventual goal for ALL music) = -16 LUFS
The place where most stuff is landing right now that isn't volume war hyped = -13 LUFS
Most streaming services are normalizing to -12 LUFS (Louder gets simply turned down, quieter gets turned up. Their sources are usually the volume war CDs from the last decade so there isn't much turning up going on. And that's where the shrill sound most often comes from. Treble eq slamming comes along with volume war levels quite often.)
CDs are usually still mastered to hit between -13 LUFS and -10 LUFS. (-13 being no extra boost. Same as the 24 bit master)
Volume war CDs are -9 LUFS to -6 LUFS and these usually have a painful treble eq boost as well. That's the shrill sound everyone is familiar with and often blames on the CD format. (Neither 44.1k sample nor 16 bit sample format does that. It's a big crude eq boost done intentionally.)

So...

Set the volume of your system to where -16 to -13 LUFS sounds loud enough and full enough. Then mix. Your ear will tell you when to turn things down. If something actually starts clipping when it still isn't loud enough, that's when you need to break out the compressor or limiter and knock down some peaks to get it under control. Or maybe something completely different like discovering some low rumble that really moves the meters and eq'ing that out.

If you were to set your monitor listening volume for a volume war treble slammed CD, you'd end up setting that volume pretty low! Now it will be almost impossible to mix. Stuff would be still too quiet and red clip lights are already going off. The volume war hype is done after the mix.

You can get more critical with calibrating monitoring levels (and people do). The above will get you in the ballpark just fine.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #5
Hog

Thank you so much for your replies.

Yes, I was a bit freaked when I saw the levels seemed to be clipped. I didn't realize that it's ok.

I'm compressing most instruments. It's trying to work out what needs compression and how much compression is required.

Again, thank you for the advice
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:40 AM   #6
G-Sun

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Quote:
Thank you so much for your replies.

Yes, I was a bit freaked when I saw the levels seemed to be clipped. I didn't realize that it's ok.

I'm compressing most instruments. It's trying to work out what needs compression and how much compression is required.

Again, thank you for the advice
The waveform seems limited. But it's hard to tell from the small waveform.
If uncertain: Do not limit your audio in the mixing-process.
Clipping is 98% of the time unwanted.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:42 AM   #7
G-Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7nNN5tJOIg
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote