Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
mswguitar
Human being with feelings

Default [6.03] Video Processor - Track Opacity/zoom/pan on one track affects other tracks

Hello,
I use reaper for editing video and I was working on a project today and noticed something odd. I imported two video files onto separate tracks and applied the Track Opacity/zoom/pan to track #1 to adjust the zoom and X-offset to help re-center the video (original recording was not quite centered). I then went to do some editing on track #2 and noticed that the video was off-center. It appears that the Track Opacity/zoom/pan settings on track #1 carry-over to track #2, even though I don't have a Video Processor effect on Track #2. Shouldn't these effects be track-dependent? My 2nd video clip wasn't off-center so I don't need any additional processing on that track.

Recipe:
- Start Reaper
- Import a video file to track #1
- Import another video file to track #2
- Apply Video Processor FX to track #1 with the Track opacity/zoom/pan pre-set.
- Adjust the Zoom and X-OFfset to move the picture around
- Click somewhere into track #2 and see if the zoom/pan is still applicable to track #2, even with no FX applied.

Windows 10 x64, portable install.

Last edited by mswguitar; 02-10-2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added OS
mswguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Bobby Shilling

Hi there,
I'm having exactly the same problem.
I've added an extra instance of the video processor to every video track with the preset 'Apply track FX only where track has video items' (last in the plugins list) as this has helped with other problems I've had, but still the processing of one track affects other video tracks that are 'below' or 'behind' the one I've manipulated.
I will keep searching for an answer and if I get anywhere I'll post it here.
Bobby Shilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Bobby Shilling

OK, I have made some progress. (I'm new to video editing in Reaper so forgive my newbie oversight, if that's what it is!)
I hadn't set the preferred video size in Project Settings > Video to match my source dimensions, so Reaper was fitting everything else to the size of my most 'forward' video.
I hope this helps.
Bobby Shilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #4
reaman

Default same problem

I have the same problem like you, guys. I am using REAPER-video-editing for long time, and this problem, that video-effects in one track influences other (video)tracks, is there from the first day. I tried everything... putting effect in item, combining item-effects with track-effects, try to put some tracks in folder, other in other folder, try to combine opacity-Preset with Preset "image-overlay" (also including x/y and zoom-function). Often it do not work like I wish it should... Especially, if (like I would like to do) you are using several video tracks in overlay with greenscreen, Video effects are influenceing each other not like planned. May I say this: for me REAPER is the best DAW forever. I love it. But maybe, video-editing is not the first developer-focus up till now? - For me it seems, the hierarchy of video effects and influence on other instances is not really cleared up till now (should work like it works really well in audio: item > track > group > master). May be I am wrong. Would like to learn from all of you guys. Or hoping for better times...

Last edited by reaman; 05-05-2020 at 06:04 AM.
reaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Hmm, are you using the latest version of the "Basic helpers: Track opacity/zoom/pan" preset? There were probably old versions that affected other tracks, but the newer ones should not affect media on track 2 when on track 1.

Edit: some of the other presets aren't so smart (e.g. Blur) -- in these you should put a second video processor on the first track, after the FX, and load the "Basic helpers: Apply track FX only where track has video items" preset.

Last edited by Justin; 05-06-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
jpmenezes

Default Video Processor - Image Overlay - 2nd instance

I am struggling with a similar problem. All I want to do is to centre my video image. so I use the first instance of image overlay to do the sizing and positioning of the image and then I used the second instance of image overlay to do the centering but it does not work and affects all other video tracks.

A recent tutorial by Kenny Gioia shows that it is possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQL14O2idJASI
jpmenezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

It's usually helpful to make sure the project video dimensions are set (in project settings), things get a little unpredictable if you start doing video processors and that setting is left blank.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
reaman

Default cool idea...

[QUOTE=Justin;2283501]Hmm, are you using the latest version of the "Basic helpers: Track opacity/zoom/pan" preset? There were probably old versions that affected other tracks, but the newer ones should not affect media on track 2 when on track 1.

... this is a damned cool tip, Justin...!!! I will try it out next time and report my experience with. Thnx, man!
reaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
enjolis

When I put the zoom/pan/opacity plugin on the item and not the track it usually works. I thought I could change the position of all items on a track at once but even after trying all these suggestions, it still affects all tracks.
enjolis is offline   Reply With Quote