Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #121
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

That's not surprising, given that the individual tracks are very mono, nothing has really "stereo width" and everything that's not panned extremely is getting really loud in the (mono-) center when compressed (since the compression is really heavy).

Turning down that center by several dB after compression retains the punch of the center but brings up everything that happening on the sides and adds width to these signals, with their stereo delay and reverb effects (which also have "crosswired" in/outs here and there, so their effect show up on the opposite side when the input signal was panned).

Well, at least that's the theory, it's quite possible that a "proper" mix not so much targeting on being mangled in the master FX, e.g. using more pseudo-stereo on-track FX, more compressors etc. would be better. But I wanted to keep the CPU load on reasonable levels so it has a chance to be played on rather ancient computers. Ideally it should run on really low-spec'd machines but that would require relying much more on instrument samples, which I tried to avoid.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:41 AM   #122
jebsong
Human being with feelings

Default Same old Problem.

This is something I've noticed every since I bought my first computer 20 years ago and that is computer programers do not know how to make user friendly instruction manuals!

If you are a computer geek or a programer I'm sure the instruction manuals make perfect sense to you. But if you are not then it's a nightmare!

So whoever the programer who made up "Read The #$&*ing Manual" Can shove that manual up where the sun don't shine!

And instead of "hit any key to continue", It should be Hit Bill Gates to continue!
jebsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #123
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsong View Post
This is something I've noticed every since I bought my first computer 20 years ago and that is computer programers do not know how to make user friendly instruction manuals!
Yes, but Reaper's manual is not written by a computer programmer - nobody from Cockos is writing it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #124
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsong View Post

If you are a computer geek or a programer I'm sure the instruction manuals make perfect sense to you. But if you are not then it's a nightmare!

So whoever the programer who made up "Read The #$&*ing Manual" Can shove that manual up where the sun don't shine!

And instead of "hit any key to continue", It should be Hit Bill Gates to continue!
What is typical of programmers is that they assume users will know what they are thinking, so they write manuals that are minimal, as if it is all obvious. Notice how many software products come out these days with no manual. But the Reaper manual is huge, detailed, clear, and goes step by step, not at all like programmers would do it. Having written many tech manuals and tech literature over the years I can say that the Reaper book is a masterpiece that is not techie minded, but user-oriented.

I suspect there is a general problem across generations of users where younger folks are less oriented to READING, and don't like working through a book page by page. Young kids who have learned by trial and error, or like they did games, or by videos, or by having friends show them stuff - they will have a hard time reading ANY manual.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #125
morgon

The Reaper manual is great but here's the but, and it goes for ANY manual, I think the index should have an exact equivalent entry for anything text-described on the GUI. I'm hard up thinking of specific examples atm but it's thwarted me many a time looking for text described stuff on the GUI in the index that has no exact equivalent.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #126
Sigilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It seems to me that you're completely missing what Reaper is about. Justin's goal is not to earn millions by selling Reaper (because he already has millions from selling Winamp to AOL), nor is its intent to overthrow PT. It does not come with loads of plugins and sample libraries like a lot of other DAWs because that's not its intent (consequently this is the reason why there's no demo song to go along with it - and honestly, demo songs are not a selling point IMHO, anyways) - Reaper is a lean and fast install because of it. I appreciate that more than having a bundle of stuff I'm likely never to use because I already have a selection of plugins that fit the way I work better than some bundle that somebody thought might be useful but it turns out it isn't that much.
ditto. As for the manual, searchability and pictures are a must. I feel it does an adequate job.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #127
jebsong

Default Apologies: And Trouble instaling Reaper on Windows 7.

I'm Have a 2011 Dell XPS L501x Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

First of all I would want to apologize for my above post but I was frustrated by my inability to make Reaper work and I have been trying now for several weeks!

I need some expert advice on certain steps of the install where I'm not certain about what to do and I have added notes at the places and/or steps in the copy of the start up guide below.

I would greatly appreciate any advice any of you might have!!

Thanks, jebsong

Installing REAPER on a Windows PC
To
install REAPER on a PC with Windows you should follow this sequence:
In Windows Explorer, find
the
install
file. The file
name includes the current
version number, e.g.
reaper40-install.exe
Double click on this file to
start the install program.
Click the
I Agree
button
to accept the conditions
and continue.
For a normal install,
accept the default folder
offered to you
(but see
note below) -
for
example,
C:\Program
Files\REAPER.

If you need to, enable the
Portable install
option
(see note below), then
click
Next

Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide v
Select which elements you wish to install (if in doubt accept the default settings - see also section 1.4
below) and click on
Install
Wait while the program installs. When prompted, click on
Close
to close the Install program. You will be
asked if you wish to run the program now: in this case, choose
No
Note:
If you are installing REAPER for the first time, or if you wish to replace an earlier version of REAPER with
this one, you should accept the default destination folder and not enable portable install. If you wish to install
this alongside an existing earlier 3.xx version, change the default directory (e.g. to \REAPER4) and enable
portable install. This will ensure that your earlier 3.xx settings and preferences will be preserved separately.

Note: ( Here is a place where I'm not sure of what to do because at this point I'm reinstalling reaper after a complete uninstall using a program that cleans my pc of all leftover files. Then after I restart my computer I go to start/menu/ and click on the Reaper Icon that says restore Reaper to factory defaults. When Reaper opens I'm prompted to select Audio device which I do. )

Note: ( I'm using a Behringer UCA202 A/D converter for my device interface and need some advice on whether it is compatible with Reaper? )

-
Setting Up and Getting Started
Enabling MP3 Recording
If you are intending to record and/or mix down your recordings in, or convert other recorded material to, MP3
format, you will need to install an MP3 encoder. A suitable encoder is LAME, which is available free of charge.
This can be obtained from any of many web sites, including
http://aegiscorp.free.fr/lame/
After downloading, Mac users should unzip the file and then drag the dynamic library file (named something like
libmp3lame.dylib
)
into their REAPER application launch folder.

Note: ( Hear is another place where I'm not sure of what to do because I've been advised by other members to copy the lame dll into c"\Program\Reaper\User Plugins subfolder. )

Windows users should copy the file
lame_enc.dll
into their REAPER Program directory, which by default will be
C:\Program Files\REAPER

. It can also be copied to other applications that may need it (e.g. Audacity).
Starting REAPER
To start REAPER, just double click on the REAPER desktop icon. You might also wish to
consider creating a keyboard shortcut for this. For Windows users, this is done using the
Shortcut
tab of the icon's
Properties
dialog box. Right-click over the icon to display this.
REAPER Startup Tips
By default, REAPER opens with the last used project. As you will see later in this chapter, you can change this
behavior if you wish. In addition, you can use hot keys when starting REAPER
to override the default settings

Note: Here is another confusing
LAME builds
Note: LAME is LGPL open source software, see lame.sf.net for the project page. Please be aware that download and usage of these binaries may be forbidden due to patent legislation in some Countries. Consult your Country's software patent laws for more details.

You can find updated versions at RareWares.org.

Note: Here is another problem where the manual is confusing or outdated.
My question is do I install the one the manual recommends or one of the others and if so which one?

Windows users should copy the file
lame_enc.dll
into their REAPER Program directory, which by default will be
C:\Program Files\REAPER

Binaries v3.99.5:
• LAME for Windows x64: lame_enc64.dll.
• LAME for Windows: libmp3lame.dll.
Binaries v3.98.3+patch64:
• LAME for Windows x64: lame_enc64.dll. Exports more of modern LAME API, fixes classic BladeEnc API for 64 bit.
• LAME for Windows: lame_enc.dll. Only difference from 3.98.3 is lack of debug messages.
• LAME for OS X: libmp3lame_osx32.zip (for 10.4+, i386 and PPC)
• LAME for OS X: libmp3lame_osx64.zip (for 10.5+, i386, x86_64 and PPC)
Source:
• lame-3.98.3.patched64.7z modified source (only the files Dll/BladeMP3EncDLL.* were modified)
• Updated project.pbxproj that includes target for libmp3lame.dylib, added configuration for both 32 and 64 bit versions.
jebsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #128
efflux

Reaper needs no marketing as is clearly evident because a lot of people are using it. Let the users market it. If Reaper wasn't good this wouldn't work.

The best source to learn Reaper in Kenny Gioia's tutorials at Groove3. You can subscribe for a month for peanuts cost considering the info you get. I think Kenny's tutorials are brilliant. He wastes no time and clearly totally understands the app. I'm actually new to Reaper and I found those tutorials the most helpful I've ever come across.

I haven't delved into the manual much but it looks OK.

However, I think demo songs are useful to quickly explore DAWs capability. They need to be separate download though. This leads to the other point that Reaper's streamlined size is a huge plus and it needs to be kept that way. Basic plugins all seem good to me but we don't need masses of bloat like sample libraries etc.

I would say that Reaper is quite hard to get around at first. For example a lot of the hard wired type buttons and functions in other DAWs have to be added by the user in Reaper. Of course this whole capability of customisation and the huge number of tools and commands possible is great but it is hard to do anything in Reaper at first, especially with MIDI. What the solution to this is I'm not sure. Maybe a better default setup. I'm pretty sure many possible new users turn away too quickly to find an easier to start working DAW and hence end up with a less capable app.

I'm moving from Logic to Reaper at the moment. Getting around Reaper was hard at first. I also tried Studio One and that is very easy even at first. However, going back to work in Logic is seeming like hell now as I learn Reaper.
efflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 AM   #129
huberkinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux View Post
. I also tried Studio One and that is very easy even at first. However, going back to work in Logic is seeming like hell now as I learn Reaper.
Many thanx man. Never heard about Studio One. D/loaded demo version and blasted immediately.

Recorded song in 5 minutes, put plugins on bus and on track... all is working and I never touch the manual.

Have 30 days to play with it. No demo song, but so far I don't need it, because it's so intuitive.

Not very pretty, but maybe that one is for me. Reapper just to much to learn some basic stuff and in compare with Studio One not user friendly.

Does not mean is bad - never had a crash as yet in few months!

Maybe just me, but I fell in love of the first sight!

Have Reapper of course and will experiment with both but so far...

Thanx again!

BTW. Any problems with Studio One, can you post here!
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #130
huberkinky

WAS... good! :-)

Back to Reaper.
Price, themes and very easy sends and FX generally. In Studio One that part FX is much more complicated and... many free plugins are not working. Meaning,
I should buy some commercial plugins, but some EQ free are magic, if you know how to use it!

What I loved initially in Studio One is layout. However Mixer on the bottom screen is my favorite and I have found or rather rediscovered that feature in Reaper as well. Using PTools before I got to use two screens and on one wide screen I still prefer mixer and edit - both accessible in the same time.

Also IMHO Studio One is much heavier on my PC! On three test tracks, plugins were slowing down, opening and closing them, sluggish and taking some time before you could use them.

No Favorite plugins folder (I think.)

So... no divorcing from Reaper!

:-)

Last edited by huberkinky; 06-18-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: My grammar sux!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #131
Kenny Gioia

I always find these threads funny because it assumes that the people we admire (Justin and Cockos in this discussion) know less than us.

Yet we're here discussing their products. They're not on our forums discussing ours.

It was very similar for me when I first heard that Stephen Colbert was taking over for Letterman.

I thought. Oh god. That's gonna suck. I'll miss the Colbert Report. Those late night shows are pretty darn boring to me.

Then I thought about it and realized.

Wait. Stephen Colbert has been making me laugh for a decade.

Maybe (gasp) he knows more about comedy than I do.

Yes. Yes. He does.

Tee Hee.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #132
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Wait. Stephen Colbert has been making me laugh for a decade.

Maybe (gasp) he knows more about comedy than I do.

Yes. Yes. He does.

Tee Hee.
And Colbert would say that if our gut is telling us that we know better than the Cockos guys about how to market their own product then we are, without question, absolutely correct. Then again...Justin is reported to have made a lot of money in the sale of Winamp...and money is free speech...so whatever he wants to say with his program, with lamas or from the top of his RV is also valid and correct. I'm so confused.?!

Last edited by plush2; 06-22-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: I'm a Canadian so you shouldn't be listening to me anyways.
plush2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #133
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
The Reaper manual is great but here's the but, and it goes for ANY manual, I think the index should have an exact equivalent entry for anything text-described on the GUI. I'm hard up thinking of specific examples atm but it's thwarted me many a time looking for text described stuff on the GUI in the index that has no exact equivalent.
SO true! Although Nico's work is excellent, on the admittedly fewer and fewer times I have to "look something up" it DOES get very confusing knowing what to look for a lot of the time.
Just not sure how you would rewrite the headings, etc., to improve this.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #134
stumpbroke1

Default re: Reaper not being Professional

Reaper lets me do this,by myself, in relatively short period of time, I'm happy, thats work flow IMHO!
https://soundcloud.com/cult-of-dumb/...ry-sb1-6-13-14
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #135
@non

Default Engineers Vs the Marketing Dept.

Suckers for
Dave P "do you use the one w the red face plate or the blue faceplate?"
-"Mr Dave the red one is for 'hot latin salsa'; the blue one is for 'cool jazz'

love it
{give me spec sheets or give me....}
"I measured the air pressure and mechanical vibrations of my walls
I want to do some algebraic maths now"

seriously mistrust it
"hey these specs seem seriously skewed" "are you trying to make your product seem better than it is?"
-"OH NO Sir!! that's the Advertizing Depts job"
legal notice(07/2/14)- all posts are personal & ment for reaper.fm members; information collected/disseminated to 3rd partys is in violation of privacy laws;post such (here)Immediately so appropriate penality may be negotiated
@non is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #136
@non

Default welcome Back to Reaper. huberkinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I always find these threads funny because it assumes that the people we admire .....

Mr G; if you would like to see the man whose done the most to promote the Reaper you can just look in the mirror[/B]
legal notice(07/2/14)- all posts are personal & ment for reaper.fm members; information collected/disseminated to 3rd partys is in violation of privacy laws;post such (here)Immediately so appropriate penality may be negotiated

Last edited by @non; 07-02-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #137
@non

Default still going..strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Whatever happened to Brad Sucks?
http://ccmixter.org/files/Annon/43411
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #138
huberkinky

Hi Kenny?

It's SMCOPTYLTD from PTool forum! Still using mix24+ and Channel Strip with Produceher settings!

Going back to the subject, I think that's in one way Reaper has made great precedence and the price is a important factor.

Not to be deluded, the music industry is in mess and money are not flowing as they use too.

So the affordable price is a great start. Just bought brilliant plugins from Valhalla. $50.00 each and I've read some FAQ and guy was asking, why is so cheap for top pro plugins?

An answer was simple. It's hard to sell a plugins costing much more than your DAW.

Yesterday I bought www.klanghelm.com great compressor. $30.00 and that's the way I think it should go.

For most of us it's just a hobby, too pricy with Waves (hate Waves!) riding on an old dream of great and rich music industry.

Waves can only dream about d/ly and reverbs from Valhalla.

So reality is sad but simple. Buy what you can afford and remember, the most precious item is... you and your skills.

It's good fun to create music and sometime someone will get somewhere. And if you have an option - maybe someone somewhere - you have to keep your job and spend money wisely.

And I think Cockos has made a history with Reaper and I'm sure such trend with prices about $20-$50 plugins on $60 DAW will continue. Smart guys will still make few $'s and big arrogant ones will lose in a big way!

Of course it's sad but that's reality with many dreams.

So keep dreaming and don't spend $500 (On special only this weekend!) on plugin you going to use on $60 DAW.

Those days are gone!