Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
saastara
Human being with feelings

Default 64bit Reaper doesn't use over 3gb of ram

Hey!

First post here.

I recently upgraded my iMac from 4gb to 12gb of ram and hence moved to use the 64-bit version of Reaper. The problem is that the 64 bit version is way slower than the 32 bit version and freezes a lot quicker in sessions. It can't even run the sessions that worked nicely on 32 bit without chocking up.

I'm aware that the bridging of 32bit plugins into 64bit eats some of your memory but this much..? It can't be.. Plus when I look from my computers preferences, Reaper uses aprox 3gb of ram so there's about 9gb left but still the software chokes.

And it's only Reaper. If I play music from iTunes, play trough stand alone softs etc. the playback works fine, even thou at the same time Reaper is going apeshit.

I've installed all the latest updates for my computer and for my audio device (Line 6 Toneport Ux2). According to Line6's support, the latest update for Ux2 should support 64-bit protocol.

So any ideas where the problem may be? Is there some switch on the preferences of Reaper I have missed that you're supposed to switch on to use the whole memory capacity? Or is there something like this hidden in my computers preferences.?

I have the 32-bit version still installed on my computer (I thought that if something went wrong, I wouldn't be in trouble with my current sessions).. Could this be the source of my problems? Can 32bit and 64bit Reaper exist simultaneously on the same computer without srewing each other up?

Thanks for all the help.
saastara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
terence

im on pc. but iirc the mac os started to get 64bit at 10.6.4. and there you have to activate it so that it can run the kernel extensions in 64bit mode.

to boot in 64bit mode : " by holding down the '6' and '4' keys during start up "

do you use 10.6.4 or higher?
terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
saastara

Thanks for the hint!

I tried this but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem. The info sections says that my computer is running in 64-bit kernel mode but Reaper still doesn't work as it should.

I running 10.6.7.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
saastara

Did some more testing and noticed that if I use only 64-bit native plugins, Reaper does indeed use ram over 4gb's. So could there be some problem with the bridging? The only 32-bit plugins I use are Ik Multimedias Sampletank and NI's Kontakt Player. And both of them are available in 64-bit, I think, so that's not a problem.

But there's still something wrong.. Reaper started lagging, clickin, poping, screeching, slowing etc. At about 90 tracks, which every one had different kind of cockos plugins in there. But the weird thing is that the meters on my computer show that there's still lots of ram left (6 gb to be exact) and the processor isn't chocking up either..

Anybody know what the problem might be?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by saastara View Post
Reaper started lagging, clickin, poping, screeching, slowing etc. At about 90 tracks, which every one had different kind of cockos plugins in there.
90 tracks is plenty. On which buffer size was that?

How do other DAW's perform on your computer, do you get more than 90 FX-loaded tracks?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
broknstrngz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saastara View Post
Did some more testing and noticed that if I use only 64-bit native plugins, Reaper does indeed use ram over 4gb's. So could there be some problem with the bridging? The only 32-bit plugins I use are Ik Multimedias Sampletank and NI's Kontakt Player. And both of them are available in 64-bit, I think, so that's not a problem.
So do they run in 64bit mode or not? If they run in 32bit mode, they run in a separate process, to which the memory consumption is accounted. The Reaper process won't use that much memory.
broknstrngz is offline   Reply With Quote