Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
rdnzl
Human being with feelings

Default MediaKbdMute won't work with Mixer open

I needed a shortcut for toggle master mute. Hey, whaddaya know, there's already a binding there for MediaKbdMute -> Track: Toggle mute for master track.

Great... except it does not work if the Mixer view is open, nothing happens. Works fine when working in arrange view with no other Reaper views open.

Changing binding scope: normal / global / global + makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 / Reaper 6.04
rdnzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
... Great... except it does not work if the Mixer view is open, nothing happens...
For testing purposes: does using a different shortcut than MediaKbdMute make any difference?

You might also try assigning the MediaKbdMute shortcut to a Custom Action with:
Code:
SWS/BR: Focus arrange
Track: Toggle mute for master track
The 'SWS/BR: Focus arrange' Action is part of the SWS Extensions.

Last edited by solger; 02-25-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: after reading the post a second time
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
rdnzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
For testing purposes: does using a different shortcut than MediaKbdMute make any difference?
Mapped key "j" to the same action and it works fine.

Thank you for the workaround suggestion.

This smells like a bug.
In short: if Mixer (also Routing, etc.) view has focus, it eats some keyboard events without a good reason. I cannot see a reason to pass "J" on but block MediaKbd*.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
rdnzl

The "SWS/BR: Focus arrange" -workaround does not work.
The custom action won't get triggered for the same reason ...
Worth a try but chicken and egg ... oh well
Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
maczook

Hey there!

So I tried adding a custom keybinding to "Track: Toggle mute for master track", as a global command, and it works for me, no matter what window is selected! Even if the action list or midi editor is open and focused....

This seems strange to say the least.... :'D

I tried making a reaconsole command to mute the master, but for some reason, even if I typed "mMaster, mMASTER, m Master, m MASTER" etc, it still wouldn't mute the master channel, even though something like "mKick" totally worked lol. Again, if you can't execute an action while the mixer window is in focus, this leads me to believe its something else and leads me to my next question.... lol

Can you execute ANY keybound actions while your mixer window is in focus?

We WILL figure this out, don't worry haha :'D

Best Wishes,

-Mac
maczook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
rdnzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczook View Post
Hey there!
So I tried adding a custom keybinding to "Track: Toggle mute for master track", as a global command, and it works for me, no matter what window is selected! Even if the action list or midi editor is open and focused....
The problem is that it works for some keys but not for others. See post #3, if I bind it to "J" it works mixer focused or not, if I bind it to MediaKbdMute it stops working when mixer (et.al.) has focus.

I have this new wireless keyboard with a key that has a nice mute symbol on it. Would be nice to get to use it :-)
Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
maczook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnzl View Post
The problem is that it works for some keys but not for others. See post #3, if I bind it to "J" it works mixer focused or not, if I bind it to MediaKbdMute it stops working when mixer (et.al.) has focus.

I have this new wireless keyboard with a key that has a nice mute symbol on it. Would be nice to get to use it :-)
Oh whoops!! Totally read over that.... my bad!! :'D

And ahh gotcha does your keyboard have some kind of software associated with it? i.e. iCue, Synapse, etc.

I tried mapping the mute key on my corsair k95 using the "special key" function in the keybinding action list thingy, and it wouldn't detect it as windows was automatically grabbing the input and using it to mute the system audio.

I was going to suggest mapping that key to some combination of keypresses in your keyboard's software, (i.e. CTRL+ALT+4), and then you'd be able to map that to the "Track: Toggle mute for master track" action. (it would be essentially the same as using "j")

If your keyboard doesn't have a software associated with it, I'm sure you could use autohotkey for it.... if not maybe check out luamacros.... I've done some NASTY shit with the latter.... i.e. being able to use as many regular qwerty keyboards as you want, as macro-only keyboards.... UNLIMITED BUTTONS BABY :'D haha

Best Wishes,

-Mac
maczook is offline   Reply With Quote