Old 02-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Ibanez TMB100 Bass

I just traded some old gear in and got one of these Ibanez TMB100 basses in white. For a sooper cheep bass I am pretty impressed with the extreme wide range of tonal variations I can get out of it.

The bass is a PJ format, but the controls are such that you get only one master volume for both pickups, and below it in a stacked configuration is a pan knob where you can infinitely change the ratios of the pickups. The back split control is active bass/treble EQ. These basses go for $200 and can get a real bright tone when you bear down on them, but then have smoother balanced tone when you aren't hitting it as hard. Very expressive, but being my first active EQ bass, it will take me a minute to acclimate to how it responds. Liking it a lot so far.

Edit: After playing around with it for a couple of hours in the studio, I did have to tighten just about everything on this bass, from the nuts that hold the tone and volume pots down to the 1/4" output jack. Then I had to set the bridge up to get it in tune playing open, chimed, and fretted at the octave but that was mostly a matter of moving the saddles farther back and slightly lowering them from the factory positions.

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-24-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
ivansc

Nice one ! I have been looking for a talman guitar with either 2 lipsticks or 2 P90s for years. Only one I have found were either FUBAR or silly prices. Have fun with it. I love P/J setup
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
Glennbo

I hadn't noticed the Talman guitars before, but looked them up and saw a very cool one with three lipstick pickups. It had already sold.

I did a quick jam test last night to see how this bass records. The first thing I found out is the output is twice as hot as either of my passive basses and was massively overdriving my hardware amp/speaker modeler. Once I backed the volume to half, it started playing nice. The high end response on the bass made trading bass chimes with the EP kinda fun. This bass will be a usable tool in the stringed instruments toolbox.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13998490
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote