Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-27-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
mrrenard
Human being with feelings

Default CSI - Update v1 to v3 - how to make things work

Hello

I need help to understand how to make my CSI configuration work again after updating and upgrading my system.
Old : Intel 2018 MBP with Reaper 6 and CSI 1.1
New : Mac Studio M2 with Reaper 7 and CSI 3

Surfaces : Faderport 16 and X-touch mini.

For the FP I made my own layout starting from Airon's files (thank you so much !).
For the mini I wrote files for whole channel strips, using subzones and modifiers to switch between modules.
I've spent hundreds of hours tweaking these files and I was very happy with the workflow so I really hope I can recover everything !

I would be more than happy if I could simply go on using CSI 1, but if I use the v1 dylib I can't build anything CSI in the Control/OSC/web menu..
I had to install the v3 .ini file too, because if I try to use my old .ini file it was a problem too (message saying 'it's not a v3 file')

So, using CSI 3 the setup menus are quite different from what I had and I'm not sure what is due to the new Reaper version 7 or to the new CSI version 3.
What's weird is that in the wiki it says that only updating the dylib file should be enough..

After a day searching here and trying out stuff I got to have a few of my custom buttons working on the FP (maybe 10% of my whole setup), so maybe I'm not too far.. But faders are not moving, nothing on the screens, modifiers not working, weird behaviour, ...
Still nothing working on the mini

Can anybody please help or at least point me to a thread where I can find some directions about how to adapt things properly and maybe things that have to change in the .zon files ?

If it helps, here I uploaded the current state of my CSI folder. I'm no computer master so sorry for the mess and maybe weird stuff. The file I use for the mini is the 'XTouchMini_MC_Mode_david_3'
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._9?usp=sharing

Thanks a million times in advance to anybody who can help me ! I've built my whole workflow and setup around those surfaces and CSI, I use this everyday and I don't know how I can work without this...
mrrenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:49 PM   #2
Funkybot

The easiest way to migrate is to start with CSI v3, then the CSI V3 support files for your surface. The biggest difference is back then, there was basically one big zone file for the entire surface. Nowadays, each zone is it's own .zon file. Navigators are gone. And the zone names are mostly hardwired (Channel zone is now track).

Now, you customized a bunch of stuff right? Which is why you don't want to go back to the stock files? So here's what you do, use the Support Files version, open each zone file, and add your customizations in [i.e. from old into new]. Test along the way. If you need setup help, post in the CSI Device Setup thread.

Check the Change Log page of the CSI Wiki for other changes. Start at the bottom and work your way up.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:11 AM   #3
mrrenard

Thanks a lot for your answer

So basically what you’re saying is that I have no choice but to redo everything, right ?
This means postponing clients work for a week or more to understand the new system and rewrite thousands of lines… It’s kind of a nightmare and I was really hoping there was a way to use my old files..
I’m not happy but I know it is worth it ;-)

Just to be sure : there is no way I could go on using CSI 1 with Reaper 7 ?
Old 11-28-2023, 06:14 AM   #4
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrenard View Post
Thanks a lot for your answer

So basically what you’re saying is that I have no choice but to redo everything, right ?
This means postponing clients work for a week or more to understand the new system and rewrite thousands of lines… It’s kind of a nightmare and I was really hoping there was a way to use my old files..
I’m not happy but I know it is worth it ;-)

Just to be sure : there is no way I could go on using CSI 1 with Reaper 7 ?
If you would be willing to post your CSI.ini, .mst and .zon files, I could look into writing a little conversion utility for you.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #5
mrrenard

Wow, for real ?! I had no idea such a thing was possible
It would be incredible !

So here again the current folder on the new M2:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...CH?usp=sharing

Here the v1 files from the old Intel I think you ask for:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...o2?usp=sharing

Here just in case I misunderstood the whole CSI folder on the Intel :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...4i?usp=sharing

If I get it right you're about to create a utility from scratch just for me... Please don't waste too much energy on this if it's too complicated or so ! (And also let me know how much time you spend on this) <3
Old 11-28-2023, 03:44 PM   #6
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Wow, for real ?! I had no idea such a thing was possible
It would be incredible !

So here again the current folder on the new M2:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...CH?usp=sharing

Here the v1 files from the old Intel I think you ask for:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...o2?usp=sharing

Here just in case I misunderstood the whole CSI folder on the Intel :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...4i?usp=sharing

If I get it right you're about to create a utility from scratch just for me... Please don't waste too much energy on this if it's too complicated or so ! (And also let me know how much time you spend on this) <3

Had a quick look at your files, don't think you have to shut down your facility for a week

For instance, you say your Faders don't work.

In FP16s1_Channel.zon just change the name from "Channel" to "Track" and remove the "TrackNavigator" statement.

Then change the included Zone in Home from "Channel" to "Track".

Let me know if your Faders are back.

I think a few sessions like this should get you up to speed in very little time.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:41 AM   #7
mrrenard

Hello
Thanks for that
Yes faders and the 2 rotary encoders work now ! That's something already !
Nothing on the displays. Most buttons like mute, solo, transport have a weird behavior, they work once and then nothing works anymore except faders and encoders. If I refresh surfaces things that worked work again but only for once...
Most actions I customized don't work. The surface dont seem to 'respond' to reaper like it used to like colors on the buttons or scrolling..
Old 11-29-2023, 05:21 AM   #8
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hello
Thanks for that
Yes faders and the 2 rotary encoders work now ! That's something already !
Nothing on the displays. Most buttons like mute, solo, transport have a weird behavior, they work once and then nothing works anymore except faders and encoders. If I refresh surfaces things that worked work again but only for once...
Most actions I customized don't work. The surface dont seem to 'respond' to reaper like it used to like colors on the buttons or scrolling..
Great first step !

For the Mute, Solo, Transport, etc., I think you need to change the .mst file.

For instance, change this:
Code:
Widget Solo1
        Press 90 08 7f
  FB_TwoState 90 08 7f 90 08 00
WidgetEnd
to this:
Code:
Widget Solo1
        Press 90 08 7f 90 08 00
  FB_TwoState 90 08 7f 90 08 00
WidgetEnd

If that works, rinse and repeat.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:57 AM   #9
mrrenard

Nice !

I did that for every button which has this syntax

Press
FB_TwoState

They all seem to work fine (as written on my zon file), except for those who were supposed to map stuff on the surface, like sends and the like

Now every other buttons with another syntax (just Press, or Press and FB_FaderportRGB7Bit) have the same behaviour than described before

no display
shift left and shift, that I use as modifiers in the zone file are still not working

we're going somewhere, thank you so much !
Old 11-29-2023, 09:39 AM   #10
Funkybot

Quote:
Nice !

I did that for every button which has this syntax

Press
FB_TwoState

They all seem to work fine (as written on my zon file), except for those who were supposed to map stuff on the surface, like sends and the like

Now every other buttons with another syntax (just Press, or Press and FB_FaderportRGB7Bit) have the same behaviour than described before

no display
shift left and shift, that I use as modifiers in the zone file are still not working

we're going somewhere, thank you so much !
The send activation syntax changed. See here:

https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...associatedzone

And here, plus the next 3 sections:
https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...sociated-zones
Old 11-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #11
mrrenard

Thanks a lot for your help !
I will now go get lost in the wiki and hopefully I will get everything working again soon in a few days

Just one question now though:
Any idea why my shift left and shit right buttons don’t act as modifiers s they used to ? If I get correctly the corresponding section in the wiki, it looks like nothing as changed about modifiers… right ?
Old 11-29-2023, 03:07 PM   #12
Funkybot

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your help !
I will now go get lost in the wiki and hopefully I will get everything working again soon in a few days

Just one question now though:
Any idea why my shift left and shit right buttons don’t act as modifiers s they used to ? If I get correctly the corresponding section in the wiki, it looks like nothing as changed about modifiers… right ?
Post an .mst excerpt for the ShiftLeft and ShiftRight widgets as well as where they are defined in your buttons zone. Probably something simple.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #13
mrrenard

yep

in the .mst :

Widget ShiftRight
Press 90 06 7f 90 06 00
WidgetEnd

Widget ShiftLeft
Press 90 46 7f 90 46 00
WidgetEnd

in the buttons zon :

ShiftRight Shift
ShiftLeft Alt

I managed to have things showing on the display including value bar! I'm just confused about the VU meters and didn't get those.

in the mst i have

Widget VUMeter1
FB_FPVUMeter 0
WidgetEnd
Widget VUMeter2
FB_FPVUMeter 1
WidgetEnd
etc..

and

Widget ScribbleStripMode1
FB_FP16ScribbleStripMode 0
WidgetEnd

Widget ScribbleStripMode2
FB_FP16ScribbleStripMode 1
WidgetEnd

and in the Track.zon :

ScribbleStripMode| SetWidgetMode
ScribbleStripMode| WidgetMode 7
ScribbleStripMode Mode=7
ScribbleStripMode=7
DisplayType| DisplayType 7

and

VUMeter| TrackOutputMeter

Last edited by mrrenard; 11-29-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:17 AM   #14
mrrenard

Hi there

Good news !
At this point I managed to have almost everything working again with the FP16 and CSI 3, + adding a few cool stuff like VCA splill and vu meters. Way cool !
It took me 5 days and I did'nt mangled with fx mapping yet..
Modifiers started to work in the middle of nowhere, must have been a syntax issue or something elsewhere in my files.

Do you think it would be a worthy contribution if I did a small guide with the major steps I had to do to get here ?

Still one thing is bugging me with the VCA spill. Faders that are not mapped don't move down to infinity like they do with the Sends and Receives. Is there a work around this ?
Also, related, when I spill and un-spill a VCA, the Select buttons keep the color of the previously spilled tracks. Can we tell the surface to unmap those when un-spilling ?
Lastly, what would be the best way to encode this if I wanted Reaper's MCP to follow all the splill mapping ? So show only VCAs when pressing the VCA button, then show only VCA leads and follows when spilling, and back again when un-spilling.

Maybe it is all a matter of me not being a coder and there is a simple tweak to do all that, or maybe it's just not possible for some reason ?
I tried to work with Airon's 'Show VCA Followers of selected VCA Leader' and 'Show VCA Followers of selected VCA Leader' but couldn't get to make those work with the VCA zon
Old 12-06-2023, 07:24 PM   #15
mrrenard

SOLVED

Except for the color buttons and fader not going to zero on the VCA splill, I got to make my setup working again including cool new features

After the fact I'm wondering, maybe it would have been easier or quicker to start from the supplied v3 files and re-custom my configuration from there..

If it is of any use for anyone, I'm linking to this post my currently functioning CSI folder using the Faderport16 and the X-touch mini with CSI 3.2.2
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1610
Old 12-07-2023, 02:30 PM   #16
PunchySunshine

Quote:
SOLVED

Except for the color buttons and fader not going to zero on the VCA splill, I got to make my setup working again including cool new features

After the fact I'm wondering, maybe it would have been easier or quicker to start from the supplied v3 files and re-custom my configuration from there..

If it is of any use for anyone, I'm linking to this post my currently functioning CSI folder using the Faderport16 and the X-touch mini with CSI 3.2.2
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1610
It may have been easier, but probably scarier.
PunchySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote