Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Chris_P_Critter
Human being with feelings

Default Who has the Line 6 Metal Pack for their Gearbox / POD setup?

Does it really bring anything to the table that you can't achieve with the included models?

I just got the Oceano debut CD, "Depths" - extremely heavy death-core style band - and I love their tone. The guy that mixed the CD is on the Andy Sneap forums, and he said the whole album was done with a POD Xt and the Diamond Plate model with the standard condenser cimpulse that's included in the POD (I have Gearbox, but it's the same, no?).

Boys and girls, to say that I was impressed with this tone is an understatement. Granted - it was quad tracked (2 tracks with tube screamer and 2 without), but still - it sounded authentic and ballsy as hell!

Who has this model - anyone care to post up some samples (DerMetz, Patton?)? The samples on the L6 site are, well, they just plain suck ass.
Chris_P_Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
shemp

interested also.... I am thinking on pulling the trigger and getting the Metalpack/FX junkie promo for $40. I love the Treadplate and the Spinal Puppet and the 2 mixed together kicks ass so I also wonder is the Diamondplate is worth it.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
interested also.... I am thinking on pulling the trigger and getting the Metalpack/FX junkie promo for $40. I love the Treadplate and the Spinal Puppet and the 2 mixed together kicks ass so I also wonder is the Diamondplate is worth it.
Shemp - Good looking out man!

I didn't know there was a promo! And, I also didn't know it had come down in price so much - hell, $40 for that package is a great deal I think!

Is the deal on their site or did you get it through their newsletter?

I'm telling you - the tone he got on this album was incredible for what it was. I know guys with thousands of dollars worth of gear, all the equipment you would need, and they STILL don't get a better tone than this guy did with a simple POD setup.

Here's that thread I was talking about:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/a...gers-blog.html

For an idea if whagt they sound like, hit up OCEANO on MySpace - I think they have a few songs up. Guitar tone is excellent IMO.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
shemp

ah yes. good guitar sound indeed!

Here's the email I got from Line6 about the promo. I just realized it ends April 30. I don't know if you need to get the email to get the promo but try to enter the Offer codes and see if it works:

Ultimate Model Pack Bundle $99.95 Save $74.80!
Limited time! Get the complete set of 167 classic combos, modern high-gain monsters, timeless tweeds, thumping bass amps, juicy effects & more!
Offer code: 5PACK

Power Pack - 20 vintage and modern amp tones, 26 essential effects
Metal Shop - 18 punishing high-gain amp models
Collector Classics - 18 boutique combos and rare pawnshop treasures
FX Junkie - 35 gorgeous effects: synths, filters, delays, choruses & more!
Bass Expansion - 28 booming bass amps, 22 cabs

This special offer ends on April 30, 2009. Get yours now!

• • •

Triple Pack Offer $69.95
Get Metal Shop, Collector Classics and FX Junkie model packs together for one special price!
Offer code: 3PACK

Your Choice! 2 Model Packs for $39.95
Choose from Metal Shop, Collector Classics and FX Junkie model packs.
Offer code: 2PACK

Last edited by shemp; 04-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Chris_P_Critter

Thank you man! I appreciate it. $40 for the two packs is a great deal - going to check it out in a little bit when I get off work.

The tone he gets is awesome. He gives a few tid-bits on that thread as to how he got the tone on the album. For that genre, I think it's probably one of the best sounding "break-down band" albums I've heard in a while.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Jae.Thomas

if you want to send any raw guitar tracks i can process through the chain of your choice, i have gearbox with all the trimmins
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P_Critter View Post
Thank you man! I appreciate it. $40 for the two packs is a great deal - going to check it out in a little bit when I get off work.

The tone he gets is awesome. He gives a few tid-bits on that thread as to how he got the tone on the album. For that genre, I think it's probably one of the best sounding "break-down band" albums I've heard in a while.
holy crap, those dudes are brutal! Thanks for the tip dude!

Yeah I might get it afterall... Since I can't afford a REAL Dual or Triple Rectifier...

Man, I REALLY need to get some work done today
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
if you want to send any raw guitar tracks i can process through the chain of your choice, i have gearbox with all the trimmins
Thanks for the offer dude!!!

but... I am sitting here debating: "Why not just go all the way and get the platinum pack for a little more". It's a helluva deal, and to me, Gearbox beats the arse off of any sim out - hands down - BEATS THE ARSE OFF OF ALL OF THEM.

Maybe GR has a few neat effects, but to me, Gearbox is the most authentic by far.

Hmmmm.

The good Chris and the bad Chris are on my shoulders now, duking this out. Although... the bad Chris usually wins these debates!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
holy crap, those dudes are brutal! Thanks for the tip dude!

Yeah I might get it afterall... Since I can't afford a REAL Dual or Triple Rectifier...

Man, I REALLY need to get some work done today
Heh heh!! Nice!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Thanks for the offer dude!!!

but... I am sitting here debating: "Why not just go all the way and get the platinum pack for a little more". It's a helluva deal, and to me, Gearbox beats the arse off of any sim out - hands down - BEATS THE ARSE OFF OF ALL OF THEM.

Maybe GR has a few neat effects, but to me, Gearbox is the most authentic by far.

Hmmmm.

The good Chris and the bad Chris are on my shoulders now, duking this out. Although... the bad Chris usually wins these debates!

i guess.... i dont think pod "beats" anything in a way, it really is just different. It has less "life" in it, imo... but i sure do love em. Great compliment to revalver MKIII
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
Does it really bring anything to the table that you can't achieve with the included models?
I would say that Yes, it does.
In my opinion the Diamondplate (Triple Rectifier), the Big Bottom(Triple Rectifier + Subwoofer) and the Criminal (Peavey 5150) are alone worth the price. The Engl and Diezel models are awesome too.

For the price is a steal.

I will upload something as soon as I can.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
iamamonkeysoareyou

POD Farm user here...Absolutely love it...

Here is a clip i made last night...very rough "jam session"-ish.....

quad tracked guitars...
2 in the centre using Line6 spinal puppet
1 left and 1 right, one using threadplate, the other Spinal puppet.
solo is using plexi variac and criminal (think its a van halen preset which i tweeked)

no bass though cos i dont have a bass guitar, and playing a rock track bass with a vsti, sucks ass....

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/151610/...tar-Riff_1.mp3

enjoy....
comments, etc etc welcome

Gear: AMD Athlon 3200 / M-Audio Oxygen 64 / Line6 POD Studio UX1 / M-Audio Studiophine AV40 / Korg PadKONTROL / Novation Nocturn / Ibanez Universe UV777 / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus / REAPER!!!!!!
iamamonkeysoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #13
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
i guess.... i dont think pod "beats" anything in a way, it really is just different. It has less "life" in it, imo... but i sure do love em. Great compliment to revalver MKIII
Ahhh. Forgot about MKIII - Yes, you're right - that is a very useable sim, but to me, I still prefer Gearbox. All IMO, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMetzgermeister View Post
I would say that Yes, it does.
In my opinion the Diamondplate (Triple Rectifier), the Big Bottom(Triple Rectifier + Subwoofer) and the Criminal (Peavey 5150) are alone worth the price. The Engl and Diezel models are awesome too.

For the price is a steal.

I will upload something as soon as I can.
Dude -I got the Metal Pack last night (and the FX bundle - thanks Shemp!!! ), and the Diamond Plate model will be getting some serioulsy heavy (pun intended) use from me. Interested to hear what you can do with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamamonkeysoareyou View Post

quad tracked guitars...
solo is using plexi variac and criminal (think its a van halen preset which i tweeked)

no bass though cos i dont have a bass guitar, and playing a rock track bass with a vsti, sucks ass....

enjoy....
Monkey -Will definitely check this out later after work - stupid ass work firewall won't let me listen! Before Iheard the Diamondplate, I would say the Spinal Puppet was my favorite - it's just a great all around sounding amp!

Shemp man, thanks again!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
shemp

no prob. Glad the offer codes worked for ya. Well with all the good said above, I'll pull the trigger and buy it tonight
Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
iamamonkeysoareyou

Quote:
Ahhh. Forgot about MKIII - Yes, you're right - that is a very useable sim, but to me, I still prefer Gearbox. All IMO, of course.

Dude -I got the Metal Pack last night (and the FX bundle - thanks Shemp!!! ), and the Diamond Plate model will be getting some serioulsy heavy (pun intended) use from me. Interested to hear what you can do with it!

Monkey -Will definitely check this out later after work - stupid ass work firewall won't let me listen! Before Iheard the Diamondplate, I would say the Spinal Puppet was my favorite - it's just a great all around sounding amp!

Shemp man, thanks again!!!!

TBH i never really check out the Line 6 type amps till recently....i quite like them....then again i do like what line 6 produces.....compared to their competitors....they sound "crisper"....if you know what i mean...

let me know what you think.....

Gear: AMD Athlon 3200 / M-Audio Oxygen 64 / Line6 POD Studio UX1 / M-Audio Studiophine AV40 / Korg PadKONTROL / Novation Nocturn / Ibanez Universe UV777 / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus / REAPER!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
memyselfandus

I have the pod xt pro. Can I add these packs to the pod itself?
or do I need to buy pod farm? also, do these packs come with
the podx3 live?
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
iamamonkeysoareyou

copy/paste from line6's website

__________________________________________________ __________________________
Q: How do I get the POD Farm Plug-in?
A: POD Farm is now a factory-enabled feature available free for POD X3, POD X3 Live, POD X3 Pro, TonePort DI, and TonePort UX8. Be sure your Line 6 Monkey software is up-to-date, then launch it and press the Factory Features button.

If you purchased the GearBox plug-in as an Add-on from the Line 6 Online Store, then you may obtain POD Farm plug-in functionality at no charge (additional models not included) by running the Line 6 Monkey software utility, click Optional Add-Ons tab, click Activate Purchase button, then type refresh in the activation key window and click Activate button.

Q: I purchased the Gearbox plug-in. Am I entitled to a free upgrade to POD Farm?
A: Yes. POD Farm is available as a free download to everyone who owns the GearBox Plug-In including TonePort DI owners. POD Farm Plug-In will also be available for free to POD X3, POD X3 Live and POD X3 Pro owners.

Q: I received a free POD Farm plug in because I am an X3 owner. Is it possible for me to transfer the POD Farm plug in to another device?
A: No, the free upgrade to POD Farm for X3 owners is a factory bit that is bound to the X3 and cannot be transfered out.

Q: I received the Gearbox Plug-In as part of a promotion (Annual GPO Subscription Service). Am I entitled to a POD Farm Plug-in as well?
A: No, the free POD Farm upgrade does not apply to free Gearbox Plug-In promotional events (such as GuitarPort Online).

Q: I own an older GuitarPort/TonePort/XT device and never purchased the Gearbox plug in. How much will the POD Farm plug in cost for me?
A: Existing TonePort, GuitarPort and POD XT owners who do not own the GearBox plug-in will be able to purchase the POD Farm plug-in as a direct download for $49.99 at our online store.

I think you will have to purchase the add-on packs seperately.

Not sure if the packs are available for the X3 Live. I think that if you already have it, then it would be available for POD Farm, if you dont then you'll have to purchase it...

Sorry for being vague, but Line6's upgrade policy confuses me no end.....

I'll stand corrected if someone knows any better...

Thanks,
-monkey-

Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
iamamonkeysoareyou

After some digging, i think these packs are included in the X3 live....
see below

Q: Can I upgrade my XT device to an X3?
A: Here is the list of model packs included on the X3, model packs that are included on XT devices are listed after the model pack:

Power Pack(included on the Pod XT series)
FX Junkie (included on the Pod XT Live)
Collector Classic
Metal Shop
Bass Expansion (included on the Bass Pod XT)

Please note that the FX Junkie, Collector Classic, and Metal Shop model packs can be purchased as a Triple Pack for a savings of ~$50.
Q: How can I upgrade the hardware on my XT series unit?
A: The other differences such as the effects loop, XLR input, etc. are hardware improvements that cannot be upgraded.

Q: Does Line 6 offer a trade-in program for my XT unit for an X3 unit?
A: We recommend seeing your local Line 6 dealer regarding the possibility of trading your XT unit for an X3 if you are interested in obtaining an X3 at a lower price.

Q: When will Gearbox and the Gearbox plug-in be available for the Pod X3 series?
A: We released a compatible version of Gearbox on February 29th, 2008.

Q: Is the POD X3 series compatible with Riffworks?
A: Yes, you must download and install Riffworks Line 6 Edition version 2.22 or better from the downloads page.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
pattonfreak1

I have it chris...
And I'm totally in love with Engl Powerball emulation
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
memyselfandus

Thanks for all the info!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
memyselfandus

Now if I bought these to use with the xtpro
do you have to have the pod plugged in the whole time
to use pod farm?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
Now if I bought these to use with the xtpro
do you have to have the pod plugged in the whole time
to use pod farm?
The upgrade ways of Line 6 are seriously twisted and convoluted...

You need to buy the model packs for the xt pro.
Then you need to buy the Plugin Functionality for the xt pro.
You will get access to every amp you have authorized in the xt pro but yes, the xt will act as a dongle and it has to be plugged the whole time.

Just let me confirm this: The X3 series have every model amp available for pods and toneports. Even the vocal preamps.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMetzgermeister View Post
Just let me confirm this: The X3 series have every model amp available for pods and toneports. Even the vocal preamps.
I wasn't sure whether this was a question or a statement. Apologies if it was a statement.

Anyway I recently got an X3 and as far as I'm aware it appears to have every guitar amp model (78 in total) every bass amp model (28 in total) and all the vocal pre-amps (6 in total).

So I'm either answering your question, or agreeing with your statement

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamamonkeysoareyou View Post

quad tracked guitars...

enjoy....
Cool man!! Definitely a cool tone you have going on. How does it sound with the TP on the L/R and both 2nd guitars tracked with just the SP in the center?
Good playing too = not too "rough". Hopefully those riffs evolve into a full song! Keep going on it!

Last edited by Chris_P_Critter; 04-29-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #25
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I wasn't sure whether this was a question or a statement. Apologies if it was a statement.

Anyway I recently got an X3 and as far as I'm aware it appears to have every guitar amp model (78 in total) every bass amp model (28 in total) and all the vocal pre-amps (6 in total).

So I'm either answering your question, or agreeing with your statement

Pete
Pete - How do you like the X3 compared to the UX1 (you have one of those, right?) - is there any sound difference?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
bugg

I have the Pod X3 Pro, one of the best sounding guitar processors I've used. I wish it was a LITTLE more flexible in terms of which effects can be used simultaneously, but every unit I've used (besides Guitar Rig) has SOME limitations in that area.

Overall a great unit.
bugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
battla

i got the gearbox with all the trimmins. personally i'm not crazy about the diezel, engl, dumble type stuff that i imagine is part of the metal pack. i think they do a better job with first generation high gain (orange, soldano, etc.) then again i don't really like scooped out metal tones through real amps either...
battla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #28
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonfreak1 View Post
I have it chris...
And I'm totally in love with Engl Powerball emulation
Yeah? I haven't gotten that far yet - started screwing with the Diamond Plate and said - "that's the one!".

Definitely will try that - if it's Patton / Gigawatt approved, how could it be bad!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #29
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battla View Post
i got the gearbox with all the trimmins. personally i'm not crazy about the diezel, engl, dumble type stuff that i imagine is part of the metal pack. i think they do a better job with first generation high gain (orange, soldano, etc.) then again i don't really like scooped out metal tones through real amps either...
Yeah - the Soldano model they have is pretty good!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #30
shemp

Bought it last night but only spent about 15 minutes on it so far.... I agree the Angel P-Ball (I assume that's the Engl) is bitching. The Diamondplate is great as well but I already knew that I got the FX-Junkie as well. Pretty interesting things there as well.

Last day for the Promo if anyone out there is wondering.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #31
memyselfandus

I have always loved the line 6 stuff but has
anyone tried this?

http://www.overloud.com/en/products/th1/?itemid=116
Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #32
stratman

Quote:
Pete - How do you like the X3 compared to the UX1 (you have one of those, right?) - is there any sound difference?
I record dry and add the Gearbox or PodFarm VST plug-in afterwards so, for the recorded sound, I can’t hear any significant difference in sound between a UX1 and an X3.

Ignoring recording, if I just connect my guitar to the unit and listen to the sound that comes directly out of my speakers (in effect my monitoring sound), I have the feeling that the X3 might have a subtly better and responsive sound. But it is very subtle and this might be completely subjective because the X3 looks nice and shiny .

Again this is very very subjective, but I wonder whether the feeling of being more responsive is something to do with the fact that I believe the monitoring latency through an X3 is lower than through an UX1. Not that monitoring latency was ever a problem to me when I was using a UX1.

Pete
Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #33
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
I record dry and add the Gearbox or PodFarm VST plug-in afterwards so, for the recorded sound, I can’t hear any significant difference in sound between a UX1 and an X3.

Ignoring recording, if I just connect my guitar to the unit and listen to the sound that comes directly out of my speakers (in effect my monitoring sound), I have the feeling that the X3 might have a subtly better and responsive sound. But it is very subtle and this might be completely subjective because the X3 looks nice and shiny .

Again this is very very subjective, but I wonder whether the feeling of being more responsive is something to do with the fact that I believe the monitoring latency through an X3 is lower than through an UX1. Not that monitoring latency was ever a problem to me when I was using a UX1.

Pete
Cool - I figured as much. You'd think they were the same, but as is always the case, the shinier the unit, the better it sounds!

Thanks Pete.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #34
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Bought it last night but only spent about 15 minutes on it so far.... I agree the Angel P-Ball (I assume that's the Engl) is bitching. The Diamondplate is great as well but I already knew that I got the FX-Junkie as well. Pretty interesting things there as well.

Last day for the Promo if anyone out there is wondering.
nice - the synth effects are a bit weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
I have always loved the line 6 stuff but has
anyone tried this?

http://www.overloud.com/en/products/th1/?itemid=116
No, but I've heard others really like it. Will have to demo it.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #35
shemp

Quote:
question. Do you monitor the wet signal from Gearbox while tracking and record dry or do you send the dry signal and monitor after the VST when tracking? I ask because I get too much latency when monitoring after the VST. I usually record wet so I never pursued it but now I am wondering if it can be fixed.

All I have is: guitar->UX1->USB->REAPER but I monitor the output of REAPER thru the UX1 analog outputs. Maybe that is the problem....

Thread derail but what the hell, I think we're all convinced MetalPack is the shizzle by now
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #36
stratman

Quote:
question. Do you monitor the wet signal from Gearbox while tracking and record dry or do you send the dry signal and monitor after the VST when tracking? I ask because I get too much latency when monitoring after the VST. I usually record wet so I never pursued it but now I am wondering if it can be fixed.

All I have is: guitar->UX1->USB->REAPER but I monitor the output of REAPER thru the UX1 analog outputs. Maybe that is the problem....

Thread derail but what the hell, I think we're all convinced MetalPack is the shizzle by now
I use the UX1 or the X3 as my audio interface. I fire up the Gearbox interface and monitor the wet signal coming directly out of the unit, but record dry. In other words the signal goes straight through the Line 6 unit and not via the computer for monitoring.

The latency is way too high if I monitor through the VST. On both the UX1 and the X3 the lowest in/out latency I can get at 41000Hz is 5ms/10ms.

Pete
Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #37
shemp

Quote:
I use the UX1 or the X3 as my audio interface. I fire up the Gearbox interface and monitor the wet signal coming directly out of the unit, but record dry. In other words the signal goes straight through the Line 6 unit and not via the computer for monitoring.

The latency is way too high if I monitor through the VST. On both the UX1 and the X3 the lowest in/out latency I can get at 41000Hz is 5ms/10ms.

Pete
ok, so we both have the same setup and the same latency issue for this case. Just curious. thanks man!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
byson

does anyone have any good metal bass tones for pod farm i could have????
byson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #39
Chris_P_Critter

Wow... this thread is a BLAST from the past!

Dude - for bass tones, use the eden emulation, the 8/10 cab, and the condenser, then add a little bass driver, and compress it a little. It's pretty basic, but sounds good.