Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #81
catfish
Human being with feelings

Oh. I thought this was a thread about classic New Orleans funk.

Carry on.
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #82
RonNovy

Haven't read through the entire thread, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c...

While it's important to get some visual clues on what's going on in the audio I believe that too many big meters can be a waste of space. All you are really looking for are the peaks and the averages so everything below the peak/average is pretty much wasted space. A large color filled rectangle...

Why not use some of the space by implementing a running histogram to overlay over the larger meters? It doesn't take too much programming or too many resources to calculate and if it's annoying then it can be disabled... It can also give a lot more information then a plain old VU meter even if it is a thin histogram on the main mixer. If I can write one in C then it can't be that difficult for a skilled programmer.

Maybe that could be added to an FR. IMO, it shouldn't take more then a day of work to add if even that...
RonNovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #83
WyattRice

I just realized I hadn't reaplied to this thread, so I am now. Reabump.

Already voted yes on day one.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #84
Coachz

I would be thrilled if my tcp meters simply were not orange formnormal levels.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #85
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I would be thrilled if my tcp meters simply were not orange formnormal levels.
Just curious... did you make this post from an iPhone?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #86
cyberturbo

Dannii,

Just wanted to let you know I voted.
cyberturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #87
ramses

Great FR.

Could we also add the possibility to completely turn off all metering? There are workarounds right now, such as turing off the metering channel by channel, or fiddling with the meter colors. But I would like to be able to do this globally, since it would save me a lot of time and hassle.

I for one do better mixes the less flashing lights there are on the screen, and I'm sure many would find this to be true if they actually tried it. It makes the screen so boring you automatically start LISTENING instead.

Try it out for yourselves and see if you would like this implemented.

>>> EDIT <<<

I would still like the possibility to display sample OVER's, to keep the levels under control if that would be possible. Thanks.

>>> END EDIT <<<

Last edited by ramses; 05-11-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Forgot about sample over's
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #88
Coachz

agreed, i also like this for windows

http://user.tninet.se/~jyc891w/softw...ain_dhtml.html
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #89
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Great FR.

Could we also add the possibility to completely turn off all metering? There are workarounds right now, such as turing off the metering channel by channel, or fiddling with the meter colors. But I would like to be able to do this globally, since it would save me a lot of time and hassle.

I for one do better mixes the less flashing lights there are on the screen, and I'm sure many would find this to be true if they actually tried it. It makes the screen so boring you automatically start LISTENING instead.

Try it out for yourselves and see if you would like this implemented.

>>> EDIT <<<

I would still like the possibility to display sample OVER's, to keep the levels under control if that would be possible. Thanks.

>>> END EDIT <<<
A WALTER layout (or theme) should be able to remove the meters altogether (and reallocate that space to stuff that's useful to you). That would seem a better way of accomplishing versus just flipping a switch and turning those meters off or into blank space.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #90
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
A WALTER layout (or theme) should be able to remove the meters altogether (and reallocate that space to stuff that's useful to you). That would seem a better way of accomplishing versus just flipping a switch and turning those meters off or into blank space.
Great! Will Walter still make it possible to show sample OVER-indicators? If that's the case I'm happy.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #91
timlloyd

^^ yes

[IMG]http://img852.**************/img852/690/nometerlayout.png[/IMG]

Just make the meters <=10x10 and they become signal indicators. In Preferences/Theme Editor you can colour all the 'VU indicator' sections the same as your tcp background - that would give you no meters and a 10x10 clip light
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #92
ramses

That's awesome! Exactly what I want :-)

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #93
egoadsr

+1 for the multimeter channels

But i think it's not a good idea to change the metering system into Reaper, why :

in this thread, i see a lot the K-system, and it seems that this system told us that for our audition confort and clarity the good sound level pressure is 83Dbspl. In a theater the sound can be louder to enhance the immersion ( and it's right, a high dynamics classical track, had a lot of sound level variation, and with good speaker system it's very immersive, and films with big sound effects blowing your face is immersive too ) so the K-system metering suggest us that we can peak the sound up to 20Db above the default level... and so one, for home theatre "pop" music, peak level had to be lower 14Db... let's see this... "pop" music isn't as dynamic as the classical music right... broadcast, peak 12Db... ok

I see a lot of complains too about loud music, it's certain that modern music doesn't have a high dynamic ( sometimes less than 5Dbs between the highest level and the lowest ), but if you drive your car, with all the ambient sounds, if your music got a high dynamic, you will touch your level button everytime, so they'd make a compromise, modern music can be listen everywhere...

And for finishing, the soundfiles level is coded on 16bits or 24bits ( or 32bits ), what does it significate ?
IT significate that each samples ( little point when zooming in reaper ) sound level is coded with a value between 0 and 65535 for 16bits files and 0 - 4294967295 for 32bits files. So if on your meter you can see level between 18Db and -62 you've got 80Db scale and now let divide this Db by the bit resolution 80/16=5 so every 1 bit represent 5Db ( maybe strange but logic)... so if the Reaper 0Db meter is lowered ( like a +18Db to -62Db like above ), and if we take care about never going above 0Db, we will code our sound files with ( 18/5=3.6, 16-3.6= 12.4bits ) 12bits for a round number

For conclude, i think that the better for me, is to choose my own X-system metering depending of my sensations ( i prefer with pink noise at 85Dbspl ^^), and the context of my work. But this system is usefull with analogic systems, i've seen an hardware vu meter with a movable Dbs ribbon for placing your 0Db everywhere you want... handy... sometimes

Last edited by egoadsr; 07-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.
egoadsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #94
beingmf

beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #95
cerberus

Default EBU R128

the notorious pipelineaudio has brought this to my attention:

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/t...ss_Camerer.pdf

EBU R128 appears to be the new european broadcast standard for measuring program loudness.
(the standard may have been slightly revised since that document was published...)

I've noticed that are already some vst plug-in meters available which are calibrated to EBU R128.
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #96
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Yes please! or someone make one in JS
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #97
timlloyd

Yeah ... whatever happened to the rest of Dannii's amazing FR?!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #98
mucknog

Default Why Peak Metering??

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
RMS on every channel plus being able to choose the meter position (maybe even to the extent of between plug ins/different sets of sub channels or sends.)
+1 for RMS on tracks.

There's absolutely no need for peak metering when you mix with enough headroom.
mucknog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #99
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
the notorious pipelineaudio has brought this to my attention:

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/t...ss_Camerer.pdf

EBU R128 appears to be the new european broadcast standard for measuring program loudness.
(the standard may have been slightly revised since that document was published...)

I've noticed that are already some vst plug-in meters available which are calibrated to EBU R128.
Yep. I'm currently using the meter bridge in Ozone 5 Advanced and it has R128 metering. It would be great to have something like this as an option on the REAPER master meters....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LUFS-Ozone-5.jpg (54.1 KB, 12059 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #100
airon

Yeah, I use the Toneboosters VST plugin for this, but I would prefer that Reaper would just use k-weighting by default, instead of plain RMS and have 400ms and 3 second presets in the config.

I really like the Ozone 5 meters there too, though the Izotope folks didn't think to include a "Show me only the output" switch. I have no use for Ozone 5 otherwise though, so I chose the Toneboosters plugin.

Last edited by airon; 04-06-2012 at 10:00 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #101
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
...I really like the Ozone 5 meters there too, though the Izotope folks didn't think to include a "Show me only the output" switch. I have no use for Ozone 5 otherwise though, so I chose the Toneboosters plugin.
If any of the other views are displayed along with the R128 meters in O5, it is possible to hide the input meters but I agree that a switch to show only output would be good. I might send the Izotope guys an email about that. They actually listen to customer feedback.
O5 Adv is probably one of my most used plugin suites (advanced also has the individual sections of O5 available as separate plugins to use on individual tracks). It is on almost all of my REAPER projects.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #102
Sigilus

agreed, this STILL needs to make it into Reaper.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #103
Dannii

Quote:
Yeah, I use the Toneboosters VST plugin for this, but I would prefer that Reaper would just use k-weighting by default, instead of plain RMS and have 400ms and 3 second presets in the config.

I have the Toneboosters meters in my VST folder but didn't use them because they weren't accurate. However, I noticed your screenshot shows a much later version than what I had so I downloaded the update and all is well. I was running 1.7.0 and now 2.6.0 and the CPU use is much lighter and accuracy is fixed.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #104
LogicMD

OK time for a free version VST and a bit of information about various aspects of the new EBU R128 on you tube if you got 50 mins

Free Vst https://www.audiocation.de/plugin the plugin is called AC-R128

Gate way to a load of good vids on R128 http://youtu.be/cs0Vq9XrT2U

Now if you are in to using Foobar (Audio Player) as I am, you can also get a dynamic range plugin for Foobar which is a good http://www.dynamicrange.de/de/free-downloads

They may not have all the bells and whistles of some plug-ins mentioned but if you want a start or short on cash you now got the links
LogicMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #105
airon

Replaced the screenshot with one of my own. Seems that Jeroen didn't enjoy me linking to his image or it's something automatic.

Funny though, that my registration doesn't show up on the plugin front. Gotta send Jeroen an email about that.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #106
Dannii

Good stuff LogicMD. I'll check out that YT later.

While we're talking meters, I just purchased the Klanghelm VU meters and these ROCK!!! They are by far the closest to legit VU meters of ANY VU meter plugin I've tried. They're actually a very useful tool and they're less than $10! A no brainer for anyone who has ever used REAL (professional hardware with true VU ballistics) VU meters.

Here's the URL... http://www.klanghelm.com/VUMT.html

and a screen shot...

Old 04-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #107
airon

I hear lots of positive stories about these meters.

I kinda wish he'd include k-weighted 400 ms RMS metering in that plugin. I'd buy that in a flash .
Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #108
timlloyd

^ Ask him to, you never know what might happen Danni, I can vouch for his new compressor(s) as well ... really good stuff!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #109
airon

That compressor is the bomb. I got this as a gift for a friend of mine. Highly versatile.

You thought JSCompshaper(the free cool compressor) was good, this is another magnitude above it, and still cheap!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #110
Dannii

At the moment, I'm actually finding ReaComp does pretty much everything I need in single band compression and Ozone 5 Advanced Dynamics rocks for multiband compression (and expansion). If I get the inspiration to try out another option though, I'll definitely take your recommendations on board guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
^ Ask him to, you never know what might happen
Indeed! He seems like the kind of guy who'd take on board such requests. He responded very quickly to a couple of emails I sent him.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #111
airon

Time for an assessment.

What has Reaper actually implemented of this request. It appears to me that it implemented the multi-track meters, but little else. Am I correct in making this assumption ?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #112
Dannii

That sounds like a pretty accurate assessment to me Airon.
I've recently downloaded the update to Ozone 5 Advanced from the Izotope website and they've now added their new metering suite http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/insight/ to O5 Adv. It is now available as an individual plugin that can be added to individual tracks and/or the master and it has full LU metering included.
Whilst this is a very useful plugin, I'd still love to see some of this implemented natively in REAPER. I know a lot of film and broadcast people would take note if REAPER had that natively.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #113
Evan

Quote:
What has Reaper actually implemented of this request. It appears to me that it implemented the multi-track meters, but little else. Am I correct in making this assumption ?
Multi-track meters, yes, but only a rudimentary implementation it seems. I don't see any labels on the meters like:
L, R (stereo)
or
1+2, 3+4... (for stereo groups)
or
L, C, R , (etc for surround)
or discrete
1, 2, 3, 4 (for discrete mono channels)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #114
airon

I'd like to throw some practical options in to the discussion.

Say I want to flip between pre-fx metering, i.e. the source material on the track and post-fader meters.

The requests asks for three options, so this could mean we'd require a toggle that goes through three states.

This could be restricted to apply to all tracks only, maybe even as an override like the automation modes have it, so you can go back to your track-individual metering choices as a fourth toggle state.

This would actually require a four-state toolbar button, or some other funny looking indicator on the tracks themselves which may crowd things a bit. I'm bringing this all up because if we don't talk about it, Cockos is likely to put an option in the context menus, put up some actions and that's it.

Second, traditional peak meters are almost useless. The only interesting thing they'll ever indicate any longer is whether you're hitting the 0dBFS ceiling during recording.

For that reason, the only peak indication we should ever see on tracks would be in the form of a vertical line of single-pixel height. LUFS metering should constitute the filled indicators of the meter. A little like the Dorrough meters, but less twitchy.

What do you think ?

Last edited by airon; 12-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #115
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!
Default spite

i have a suspicion that these kind of features are being ignored out of pure spite.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #116
Dannii

Quote:

I'd like to throw some practical options in to the discussion.

Say I want to flip between pre-fx metering, i.e. the source material on the track and post-fader meters.

The requests asks for three options, so this could mean we'd require a toggle that goes through three states.

This could be restricted to apply to all tracks only, maybe even as an override like the automation modes have it, so you can go back to your track-individual metering choices as a fourth toggle state.

This would actually require a four-state toolbar button, or some other funny looking indicator on the tracks themselves which may crowd things a bit. I'm bringing this all up because if we don't talk about it, Cockos is likely to put an option in the context menus, put up some actions and that's it.

Second, traditional peak meters are almost useless. The only interesting thing they'll ever indicate any longer is whether you're hitting the 0dBFS ceiling during recording.

For that reason, the only peak indication we should ever see on tracks would be in the form of a vertical line of single-pixel height. LUFS metering should constitute the filled indicators of the meter. A little like the Dorrough meters, but less twitchy.

What do you think ?

Just bumping this VERY good post, particularly the part I highlighted in blue.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #117
James HE

I am working on a partial solution (workaround) via JS.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=rms+meter

I think it is, in theory, possible to do this. I know my current code is not good, its just a VERY rough approximation, a gross and simple hack into existing code. Didn't really spent much time on this yet, I am just learning JS and this idea popped in my head while working on something else.

So if I can figure this out for RMS, It should work for R128 as well. I'm not the best at maths, hopefully some talent lends a hand to this.

Pre Fader metering would probably not be possible, however if you can get the Fader position via MIDI or some other hack, you could basically inverse the db loss back into the other channel.

Last edited by James HE; 06-22-2013 at 04:29 PM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #118
ivan.lt

Each time this thread comes up I can't help thinking about the band. Sorry for the offtopic...
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #119
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
Each time this thread comes up I can't help thinking about the band. Sorry for the offtopic...
Look-a-ch-uh. Look-a-ch-ah.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #120
XITE-1/4LIVE

Since Reaper has great routing capabilities, like Bidule, Scope DSP, etc. Some Matrix possibilites would also be welcome.
I use a custom Meter which is 8 x 8 and often use 4 of them for 32 Channels of ASIO. I can insert them anywhere in the signal path I want, and this even applys to hardware I/Os, mostly AES/EBU, but as hardware engineers know, there's a 6db insertion loss with Analog signals, so a boost on such I/Os would be needed.
Meters for me are crucial since I run a system comprised of hardware DSP, Analog hardware synths, and Native.
[IMG]http://img839.**************/img839/4833/r9f1.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with **************