Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Dimaension X
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer Xenyx 1204 connections question

I just bought a Behringer Xenyx 1204 (w/UCA200) yesterday with the UCA200, and before I hook anything up, I want to know the best way to connect everything.

I monitor very simple computer speakers (Logitech X-140s). They have a stereo 1/8" jack.

I assume I plug my mic, synth sound source, bass, guitar, etc., into an INPUT Channel.

The UCA200 is connected to my laptop via the USB (obviously)

Now, ... here's the $64,000 question - How do I go OUT to the UCA200 and how does the UCA200 connect to the monitors?

Can I just be connected to it via the RCA cables and the CD/Tape Inputs/Outputs? Then to my monitors via the PHONES output on the 1204. That seems to be the most simple connection, but what will that do to the signal input to the computer and the output to the monitor speakers.

The tiny instruction manual seems to suggest routing from the 1204 to the UCA200, and then STRAIGHT FROM THE UCA200 to my monitors. Does that make sense? Will that cause latency issues?

Do I route anything back into the 1204 then go from the 1204 to my monitors?

What is the simplest solution?
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Nik

It's simplest but it's not the most flexible.

Try this:

Connect your monitors to the Control Room outputs of the mixer. Now you can play all your gear and hear it with the computer OFF.

Connect the mixer's ALT outputs to the UCA inputs. Now any channel you want to send to your DAW for recording - just press the ALT switch. Any channel you press the ALT switch on gets diverted to your DAW for recording.

Connect the Outputs of the UCA to one of the mixer's FX return pairs. Now the tracks recorded in the DAW can be heard via the FX return on the mixer.
MIDI Guitar and loops
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Dimaension X

Thanks, I'll have to buy a few more RCA-to-1/4" converters, but this sounds pretty good. I'll give it a try.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
ppwazzup

I have the same mixer and usb sound card. On the top right if your mixer you will see CD/TAPE input output. Connect the UCA ins and outs to the ins and outs on the mixer (cd/tape). Then use the control room outs on the back or the headphone out on the top of the mixer for your monitors. Read your manual for the mixer. It tells you how to hook it up in there (this is the way it tells you to do it). I have been using this setup for a year (since I got the mixer) and it works GREAT!

BTW, with this setup you can hear your daw mix in the main mix while recording and but it only sends what is going through your channels to the DAW. This is the simplest and most flexable way to hook it up. Plus if you bought it new it will have already come with the RCA cables you need. You won't need to get any RCA to 1/4" cables as they are not needed to do this.

Matt
Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Dimaension X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
It's simplest but it's not the most flexible.

Try this:

Connect your monitors to the Control Room outputs of the mixer. Now you can play all your gear and hear it with the computer OFF.

Connect the mixer's ALT outputs to the UCA inputs. Now any channel you want to send to your DAW for recording - just press the ALT switch. Any channel you press the ALT switch on gets diverted to your DAW for recording.

Connect the Outputs of the UCA to one of the mixer's FX return pairs. Now the tracks recorded in the DAW can be heard via the FX return on the mixer.
I did try the most basic RCA thru the CD/Tape inputs/outputs setup and it does work very well - however, you can only monitor what you are recording if you use the "monitor on" switch in Reaper, and even with a very fast ASIO setup, there is still a slight delay.

So here's a neat little work-around using NIK's setup if you don't want any delay in monitoring what you're recording.

As long as you want to record in mono, then use both outputs of whatever stereo processor you are putting your guitar or bass through - say left to Channel 1, right to Channel 2. Use Nik's full setup. Now hit the MUTE/ALT 3-4 button on Channel 2. This Channel will go to your Computer, but do NOT turn "monitoring" ON in Reaper. Channel 1 should be heard through the Monitor speakers separately and not delayed by the routing to the computer. As long as you have both channels EQ'd and TRIMMED the same, you should actually hear what you are recording, no delay.

I think I explained that right.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
ppwazzup

I don't think I am understanding you here. When I record, I hear what I have already recorded and I hear what I am recording, with no delay. I am using a rp350 for guitar/bass going into channels 5/6 as a stereo signal. On the source box on my mixer I have main mix and cd\tape selected. the cd\tape to main button next to it is not on. I don't have anything set in reaper to monitor. This way I can record a track of just guitar or bass while hearing everything else that has already been recorded, but the track recording is only the guitar or bass. I think this is what you are referring to wanting. If I want to change to a different instrument I bring down the fader for 5/6 and bring up 7/8 for my keyboard or 1 for my mic. Very easy and very simple setup. If what I posted doesn't make sense or I am misunderstanding you let me know.

Matt
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Dimaension X

I'm probably confused anyway.

I did try your setup with the UCA outputs coming back into the 1204 via the FX return, and it did not work. I got NO sound whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
ppwazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
I'm probably confused anyway.

I did try your setup with the UCA outputs coming back into the 1204 via the FX return, and it did not work. I got NO sound whatsoever.
Sorry. The way I listed above using the CD/Tape In/Out connections works PERFECTLY for me. I have not had any issues with that setup for the year I have had it that way.

Code:
         |      In        Out       |
         |    L    R    L     R     |
         |__________________________|
             | |  | |  | |   | |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     | 
              |    |    |     |
              |    |    |     |
          ___|_|__|_|__|_|___|_|_______
         |                             |
         |    L    R    L     R        |
         |      Out        In          |
         |    CD/Tape    CD/Tape       |
         |   Behringer Xenyx 1204 FX   |
         |            Mixer            |
         |_____________________________|
Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Dimaension X

Ah HAH!! Now I got it. I did try that set up and it DOES work. It really is the most simple and straight-forward setup possible. There is still a very tiny latency delay, but I may try adjusting ASIO4ALL to see if I can lower latency without creating sound problems.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
ppwazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
Ah HAH!! Now I got it. I did try that set up and it DOES work. It really is the most simple and straight-forward setup possible. There is still a very tiny latency delay, but I may try adjusting ASIO4ALL to see if I can lower latency without creating sound problems.

Thanks for your help!
NP. Glad you got it working.

Matt