Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Default Force FX windows on monitor with mouse cursor?

Hi, so I'm using a dual monitor setup and I use my second monitor for analyzer plugins, but I'm having the issue of fx windows appearing on the second monitor instead of my main because of this. Is there anyway to force new fx windows to the screen with the mouse cursor or maybe just have all new windows appear on my main monitor?

Thanks
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
xpander

By default the Add FX window should open in the same place where you last closed it. So if you would move it to the main window, that's where it should open the next time. The already added floating FX windows will open in the same place where they were closed the last time per track.

I don't work with dual monitors though, so can't really tell if it's always the same in that setup.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
nait

If you can wait for v6, or want to beta test it, there is also a new setting around how these windows open up. It is under General->Advanced UI/system settings. I'm not sure if they'll help enough, but the options added are:

- Last window position (default)
- Center on current screen (this might be the one that works best for you)
- Center on mouse cursor
- OS positioning (not even sure what this would do)

I do dual monitors, myself, and sometimes one is switched to a different input (TV), and it can be a real headache for me because Windows thinks that monitor is still being used by the PC even when the input is switched. It does seem to work as xpander says though.. wherever you closed your last FX window, that's where new ones will open.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
Tiggerdyret

Thanks for the help I'll check it out. The new setting looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Tiggerdyret

Damn, it didn't work. Some effects just position to my other screen for no apparent reason.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
Damn, it didn't work. Some effects just position to my other screen for no apparent reason.
Hi Tiggerdyret,

I use dual monitors, Ver 5 through 6 now the same way you want to. I'm currently on Win10 Pro with no hassle, even on Win 7 Pro wasn't a problem. I setup screen sets, F6 - F12 for my quick access saved needs.

Have you checked The Reaper blog vids? Definitely do and see if it helps.

https://youtu.be/0wkLRgzjNyQ
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Tiggerdyret

This is not really my problem. My problem is that whenever I have an fx open on my second monitor and I open another random fx it's goes to my second monitor instead of my main, so I have to drag it over to my main monitor again.

Your tip might work as a partial fix for now though, as I can setup a screenset to open those fxs on my second monitor whenever I need then an just close them, so the other problem doesn't happen. Not optimal, but better than how it is now.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Joe90

Those modal window options have never worked right for me, however, this action -

'move active floating fx window to mouse cursor...'

is what you want. I attach it to every action related to opening an FX window, including neutronic quick add FX script, which I love... this ensures my FX window always appears at my mouse cursor whenever I open it. Same for the FX chain.

I also have that specific action attached to an easy keyboard shortcut, so that if a focused effect ever appears where I'm not expecting for any reason, I just press that shortcut and the FX window centers straight over my mouse cursor.

It's so simple but it's one of the most underrated things about Reaper IMO - EVERY DAW should have this functionality. I posted about it in more detail here in this short vid I made if you're interested -

https://youtu.be/Kg3D08UPoDk

edit: I know you're talking about always opening FX on one monitor, but try this method and within a few hours you'll be naturally flying your mouse to the spot you want the plugin, then hitting the float plugin/fxchain shortcut and it'll be right there. It's no slower really because you'd have to move your mouse cursor over there to edit the FX anyway, you just need to get used to positioning your mouse cursor first and your in business.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
nait

Joe90: I'll have to watch your video. I saw someone else talking about those actions, but I could never get that to work either. My FX always opened up in the same spot. And yeah, that modal option doesn't seem to work either. Maybe it's only for certain windows (none of which being the FX, or preferences, by the looks of things).

Actually, now having seen your video, I think I was doing this wrong (and using a different action). I think I was expecting a new window to open up where mouse cursor was, rather than a currently open window move to mouse cursor. I'll try this later when I'm home.. this is a nice feature to have as I have dual monitors, and sometimes one is on a different output (TV), but Windows fails to realize that.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-06-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
Tiggerdyret

Thanks Joe, this is great. It's also just a time saver to have any fx move right to your cursor like that. Can I add it when opening a specific plugin through the mixer panel?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Joe90

Quote:
Thanks Joe, this is great. It's also just a time saver to have any fx move right to your cursor like that. Can I add it when opening a specific plugin through the mixer panel?
Not as far as I know - set the window moving action to a simple shortcut so you can just fly it over when needed (I have it on 'ctrl \', which is right under my left hand usually). I almost always FX or VSTi track templates using the neutronic script now, so I've made a custom action combining that script with the window moving script, so the FX window always opens up where I want it.

Bear in mind also - there are two version of the window centering script - one for only floating FX windows (which won't work on the FX chain window), and one for ANY selected window (which will, but it will also trigger the main arrange window to move if that's what is selected, so watch out for that).
Old 12-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Bear in mind also - there are two version of the window centering script - one for only floating FX windows (which won't work on the FX chain window), and one for ANY selected window (which will, but it will also trigger the main arrange window to move if that's what is selected, so watch out for that).
Oh man, that explains why I could never get this to work before.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Tiggerdyret

Damn, the mouse cursor script doesn't work for me... I bound it to a key, but nothing happens...

Edit: Fixed it. Reaper is apparently very picky about what shortcuts work with this script. Wanted a one key shortcut for my left hand so I ended with F1.

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 12-09-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
nait

Quote:
Damn, the mouse cursor script doesn't work for me... I bound it to a key, but nothing happens...
Did you try the action: SWS/BR: Move active floating window to mouse cursor (pick any)? That's the one I had to use in order to make it work for me. It won't work for 100% of windows though, and you have to make sure the window is still active (i.e. don't do something else in another window).

If I click the FX button on a track on the left monitor, it opens FX on my right monitor... I think press my shortcut of ctrl-~, and the FX window moves to the left screen, where my mouse is.

If it doesn't work, explain exactly what your steps and what window you're trying to move over, perhaps.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
Edgemeal

Quote:
Hi, so I'm using a dual monitor setup and I use my second monitor for analyzer plugins, but I'm having the issue of fx windows appearing on the second monitor instead of my main because of this. Is there anyway to force new fx windows to the screen with the mouse cursor or maybe just have all new windows appear on my main monitor?

Thanks
I made a couple solutions, post #10 is a Windows app (with vb.net source code) that lets you set the target monitor for new FX windows, and post #21 is similar Lua script (also does other stuff) that runs in the background.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=10
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #16
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I made a couple solutions, post #10 is a Windows app (with vb.net source code) that lets you set the target monitor for new FX windows, and post #21 is similar Lua script (also does other stuff) that runs in the background.

Hey Edgemeal, I'm not quite sure what the script does, though Is it supposed to send new fx windows to main monitor automatic?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #17
Edgemeal

Quote:
Hey Edgemeal, I'm not quite sure what the script does, though Is it supposed to send new fx windows to main monitor automatic?

By default the scripts (I added another to that post) are set to target a 1080p area starting at location 0,0 (top-left) which will be the #1 monitor on most setups. If you open the script in a text editor there are user settings at the very top you can change.
BTW, I've only tested the scripts on Windows, they read window classnames which may not be supported on MAC/Linux.

The Windows app is much easier to use since it detects your monitors and their dimensions with an option where you just select which monitor you want the fx to be moved to when open.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 12-10-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #18
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post

Edgemeal you never cease to amaze.