Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #81
bFooz
Human being with feelings

I've checked the RC4 score color map. Some colors are better, but some are now too bright, especially channel 1.

I've noticed you set the brightness the same across all hues, before at 75, now at 82. I think if it was set by eye for each hue differently, the result would be more cohesive. That's what I did in the example before. Channel 1 at 75 brightness would be a good base point IMO.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #82
mccrabney

thanks for the reply.

Quote:
I've made it so that, though you don't get all of the window, all of the functional bits do fit in, so its still 100% useable, I hope that's a fair compromise.
fair enough. let me just be a reminder of those of us stuck at single, relatively low resolution screens due to needing to be extra mobile. the reason i noticed the 'mousewheel ticking parameters' issue is because i was trying to scroll down the script's screen to see if there was anything lower.

otherwise, the script has a good user experience. i admit that i tried to re-order the TCP objects by click-n-drag - that'd be pretty great to see.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #83
tzzsmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
1. Is it wanted that when you click on a mixer track, it expands its size and show the db meter only for the selected track?

2. Is it normal that clicking on a fader area of a mixer track can instantly change the fader position on selection ?
I can confirm same problem with Mixer Panel, happens with default (=layout A),
doesn't happen with layout B,
also default Track Panel (=A) lacks majority of buttons, but no problems on layout B, perhaps same bug?
Old 11-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #84
BlackBart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I've checked the RC4 score color map. Some colors are better, but some are now too bright, especially channel 1.
Agreed. I mentioned to WT that I cannot read the velocity numbers on unselected piano roll notes...way too bright for white letters!
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #85
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
I don't seem to be able to scale(down) the Theme script window
when the scale setting is at 200%. Is this possible? This
might prove to be a problem for some users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

No, it picks its size (100% or 200%) based on your screen resolution.
Anything over 150% scaling on Win 10 produces a dialog that is too large.
At 140% its fine, at 150% its ~the same size as it is at 200%(IMO).

As there is no scroll option, the dialog can not be used because the
controls disappear when you attempt to resize it.

https://stash.reaper.fm/37589/Script-RC4.png

After a little investigation I noticed this appears
to be related to the dpi test. I changed the drawscale.
I'm sure there is a better way...but for myself this fixes it.

function getDpi()
if gfx.ext_retina ~= dpi then
dpi = gfx.ext_retina
if dpi>1.49 then drawScale = 1 else drawScale = 1 end
if reaper.GetOS() ~= "OSX64" and reaper.GetOS() ~= "OSX32" then
_gfxw,_gfxh = drawScale*_gfxw,drawScale*_gfxh
end
end
--reaper.ShowConsoleMsg('init at '.._gfxw..' '.._gfxh..'\n')
gfx.init("",_gfxw,_gfxh)
rootnSize()
root:draw()
end

.ps Thanx for adding the master mcp dpi layouts

Last edited by hwhalen; 11-26-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: My solution
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #86
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
These look nice when enlarged but have too much detail for being a small icon. This one took my attention though:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8
1. I had same first impression on metronome icon.
I think the Default Reaper 5 one is simpler and more telling on first glance.
Maybe a polished v5 metronome icon would be just fine.

2. Secondly, I notice that the record button on TCP is looking alliased compared to the crisper one in the transport bar, maybe there's a resizing corruption on the smaller version of it ?

3. Will the Script adjuster be integrated in the "View" menu or something like that ? I think it would be fairly commun sense to lookup for theme adjustments in the menus somewhere.

4. Would it be better to reduce the stereo meters seperation to 1 pixel rather than 2+ ? I think the numbers on the scale are harder to see because of the seperation that is black (same color as the text)

Overall this new theme is really looking great for real good job.

Last edited by D Rocks; 11-25-2019 at 06:18 PM.
D Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #87
mykrobinson

I'm a little late to the party. I installed a portable copy of RC5 tonight and tried for a bit with a previous project in order to make sure i had plenty of tracks and material to get my feet wet with the new design.

I am not sure on the colors, but that can all be changed. Will there be options for a more narrow mixer? A/B-ing against Reaper 5's default theme, i find myself scrolling a lot more with Reaper 6 due to the wider mixers. I found the option for "narrow width" but thought was was "too" narrow" Can't please everybody, i know.

Thanks for your hard work on this!
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #88
mykrobinson

UPDATE: Apparently I am delusional... I get about 21 tracks across the MCP in R5:

https://i.imgur.com/zXEUFYL.png

and about the same in R6

https://i.imgur.com/8j3mSDv.png

But for some reason, it "feels" wider. I need sleep... Sorry to have bugged you, WT

EDIT: ok, they actually are wider. As i look back at my screenshots above, my Reaper 5 project has sidebars for folder tracks. Reaper 6 does NOT have the sidebars, so i am showing 21 tracks, yes, but they are most definitely wider. If I add the sidebars as in my Reaper 5 screenshot, i will lose some screen real estate.

Last edited by mykrobinson; 11-25-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: found something
Old 11-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #89
stillshaded

Looks great overall!

Only thing I don't like is the light great borders in the piano roll. Seems like a strange choice as it naturally causes your eye to focus on the border as opposed to the actual piano roll. I find it very distracting.

Other than that, I enjoy this theme a lot.
stillshaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:31 AM   #90
DANIELE

May I suggest to add a feature to tweak the midi editor (color map included) by using the tweaker script?

I would be very useful, especially with the color map, actually I have to tweak it from photoshop and it require a not so small amount of time.

I use a gradient very intuitive for me and I'd like to edit it on the fly why I'm working maybe.

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:51 AM   #91
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
I am yet again having trouble with script remembering its settings. (both rc4 and 5). Everytime Reaper restarts settings reset back to default. (labels in mcp for layout a show only when selected, tcp has half of its controls hidden)

Tried the usual by deleting repaer theme ini but it wont build a new one after restart.

This is a screen from the ini (the last one):

Regards J

I think you already checked but, was the ini read only?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:54 AM   #92
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
I think you already checked but, was the ini read only?
yep thanks. it wasnt read only. Ive managed to resolve it with deleting everything v6 theme based and first reinstalling the las v5 dev version and the reinstalling v6.

Edit: ive done a bit of research. for some strange reason rc5 wont reinstall the v6 theme and the script idf you manually delete them. Works nnormally with rc4 and below

regards J

Last edited by Janne83; 11-26-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #93
mlprod

Quote:
That envelope thing sounds like a Reaper redraw error. Could I ask that you make a licecap of it and post it in the main thread please?

Regarding the transport selection text - Ah, at last we have it! OSX, right? Its translating to the wrong text size I'll get the fix in, thanks.
Ill try and make a lice cap soon.
And, i am using win 10!
Old 11-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #94
Zmey79

Default Reaper 6 Default Theme

Hi!
Thx for the amaizing Reaper 6 Default theme!
For my needs (I do sound design and track names are big) 170 is a bit small for track name size. I beg you to make it possible to select up to 200. Auto Name Size, it is very good, but not convenient,couse every time you need the track name to fit, you need to go into the settings and apply them.
Thanks sooooo much!
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #95
Vagalume

Hi, WT. Another one bothering with the index track numbers )

I was wondering if you could make a little little bigger the semicircle where the index number goes in the folder tracks to read it better? if doing that the compact view button is a problem maybe it could be a little smaller ... just wondering

... and maybe, Is it possible to make the index track numbers smaller for the TCP AS AN OPTION in your megacool theme adjuster?
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #96
mlprod

Lice cap of indent bug.
Attached Images
File Type: gif indentbug.gif (33.3 KB, 305 views)
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #97
mehmethan

Hi is there a setting to make "pan label& value" always follow pan knob ?

Last edited by mehmethan; 08-13-2023 at 03:07 PM.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #98
xpander

The old toolbar_zoom_selected.png toolbar icon didn't use to have this extra dot in there. Was this an intentional change? Not that it bothers me too much and is easy to be removed, but just caught my eye since this icon has been on my toolbars for ages.

xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #99
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzzsmk View Post
I can confirm same problem with Mixer Panel, happens with default (=layout A),
doesn't happen with layout B,
also default Track Panel (=A) lacks majority of buttons, but no problems on layout B, perhaps same bug?
Can you do some screenshots please? Everything you are describing could just be script settings, though they aren't the default settings which is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
Agreed. I mentioned to WT that I cannot read the velocity numbers on unselected piano roll notes...way too bright for white letters!
Okay, so it turns out they weren't even my settings anyway. Could this be blamed on me sometimes forgetting to commit my changes? We may never know Anyway, thanks the fix is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
After a little investigation I noticed this appears
to be related to the dpi test. I changed the drawscale.
I'm sure there is a better way...but for myself this fixes it.
Are you running at HiDPI on a tiny screen? Generally speaking, I think its okay for me to assume that people with HiDPI screens want the HiDPI script UI! I'm glad to hear you've sorted it for yourself, should I really be expecting anyone else to have this problem though?

Quote:
2. Secondly, I notice that the record button on TCP is looking alliased compared to the crisper one in the transport bar, maybe there's a resizing corruption on the smaller version of it ?
Oooh, nice catch, thanks. Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
EDIT: ok, they actually are wider. As i look back at my screenshots above, my Reaper 5 project has sidebars for folder tracks. Reaper 6 does NOT have the sidebars, so i am showing 21 tracks, yes, but they are most definitely wider. If I add the sidebars as in my Reaper 5 screenshot, i will lose some screen real estate.
You need to try the script out, not only does it allow you to add sidebars (and conditionally add them) it can also change the mixer to its narrow form (and conditionally do that too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Ill try and make a lice cap soon.
And, i am using win 10!
Well then its definitely drawing that text in the wrong font. Can you please check if you have Calibri installed on your system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmey79 View Post
For my needs (I do sound design and track names are big) 170 is a bit small for track name size. I beg you to make it possible to select up to 200. Auto Name Size, it is very good, but not convenient,couse every time you need the track name to fit, you need to go into the settings and apply them.
Auto track name length is definitely the solution for you here. If you leave the script running, even if its docked in a hidden dock, it'll keep resizing your track names for you on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Hi, WT. Another one bothering with the index track numbers )

... and maybe, Is it possible to make the index track numbers smaller for the TCP AS AN OPTION in your megacool theme adjuster?
The compromise I have made is that you can read the numbers at 3 digit track numbers, it just looks a bit meh. Reaper doesn't make this dynamic, and so it would force me to make a big wide number area for everyone even though the majority of users don't get up in the hundreds of tracks. You may disagree with this decision, but you will I hope acknowledge that I'm stuck between "something one set of users care about" and "something another set of users care about" and Reaper not letting me choose both.

It would be a massive task to make font size changes using the script, I've already used almost all of the WALTER font locations because of the HiDPI stuff. But you can change them yourself using the ye olde theme development tweaker, look for WALTER font 2 (or 7 or 12, depending on your screen resolution).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Lice cap of indent bug.
I think this might be a Reaper thing, not a me thing. Leave it with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
Hi is there a setting to make "pan label& value" always follow pan knob ?
No, its always stuck to the right edge like it was in V5. We played with this back then (it horizontally aligned with the knob, depending on the pan mode, and as long as it wasn't colliding with the volume readout, which it often was) and it was super annoying in practice. Being in a dependable location was thought to be better as a reference readout, which is really what its useful for, since you get a tooltip readout when changing pan anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
The old toolbar_zoom_selected.png toolbar icon didn't use to have this extra dot in there. Was this an intentional change? Not that it bothers me too much and is easy to be removed, but just caught my eye since this icon has been on my toolbars for ages.
Oops! Thanks, fixing
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #100
musicbynumbers

Default Fader range on TCP is potentially broke.

This might just be me not having the right default 6 theme anymore due to having others lurking about but..

The TCP fader/volume range seems wrong at the moment.

I have mine set to go to +12dB and normally this makes it so 0dB/unity is at about the 80% to 85% position from the left, giving me a clear indicator that there is 12dB of range still I can use.

At the moment it's more like 95% or more and is right up against the right side and hard to see at a glance where it is.

I can't seem to get it to go back to something more useable

Is this me or something that's not in yet or a bug etc?

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 11-27-2019 at 04:19 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #101
BlackBart

Default MIDI Note Name Lettering Contrast

I still can't read the MIDI note names on un-selected and un-muted notes in the piano roll view.
Since the note colors are now light and bright, why not make the note names black...instead of white.
Maybe also consider making the font a tiny bit larger...covering a larger percentage of the note bar vertical height.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #102
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Yes, that's how it is. You just haven't got it yet, sorry. What you have is the result of a cockup

I can't change the text size, I'm afraid.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #103
BlackBart

Quote:
Yes, that's how it is. You just haven't got it yet, sorry. What you have is the result of a cockup

I can't change the text size, I'm afraid.
I'd be ok with the text size...if I could see it!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #104
Zmey79

Default Reaper 6 Default Theme

"Auto track name length is definitely the solution for you here. If you leave the script running, even if its docked in a hidden dock, it'll keep resizing your track names for you on the fly."

I tried to hide the action in the dock, but this does not work, unfortunately((
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #105
hwhalen

Quote:
Are you running at HiDPI on a tiny screen? Generally speaking, I think its okay for me to assume that people with HiDPI screens want the HiDPI script UI!
I'm glad to hear you've sorted it for yourself, should I really be expecting anyone else to have this problem though?
Just experimenting with your theme & the script, you may not have any
users that have an issue. I'm running a 1080x1920 27" monitor.
Someone wishing to use 150%...
I'd recommend changing the test to something >149...
Cheers!
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 AM   #106
Vagalume

But you can change them yourself using the ye olde theme development tweaker, look for WALTER font 2 (or 7 or 12, depending on your screen resolution).

Ty WT, I will do it.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #107
fetidus

I don't have time to test right now, but I wanted to say thank you to everyone doing it here. Really appreciate the effort put in by the community and WT!
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #108
fladd

Quote:
That's very, horribly broken in many ways. Eeek. Specs please?
I literally only downloaded the new 6.0RC and installed it (MacOS, not Catalina yet). It worked fine during the previous PRE versions.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #109
Inglev

I'm liking how this 6.0 theme is developing, and the script is really handy.

I have a few questions/requests though:

1: is it possible to add some more options of showing/hiding elements of the different MCP layouts? Eg. hiding all elements but the fader for a nice VCA layout.

2: is it possible to add colors to the fader? (as a noob question: where do I finde the Default Theme data? I've made small edits to other themes before, but I cant find the location of the default themes imagefiles)

3: would it be possible to add more layouts than 3?

4: I would love an option to create some sort of separator to the TCP. Having a small space between audiotracks, aux tracks, vcas and busses is great for visibility.

Great work so far WT!
Inglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #110
poetnprophet

Is there a way to make the master mixer smaller/thinner?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #111
batcat

Great job on the new default 6 theme, it's very easy on the eyes.

One small theme "miss" noticed, using fresh portable install, Win 7 Ultimate x64.
When Master track is visible but not selected in the TCP it has the exact same dark color as the surroundings and blends with the toolbar above it.
Shouldn't it be a dark border around it, or a darker color for the Master track?
Also, in the MCP, the Master track color blends in with the track next to it without any border separating them when scrolling tracks.
Making the Master track a bit darker would solve this.

Other feedback about the default 6 theme adjustor.
I really like it, fantastic work with all the options!
I would prefer if the B layout for the TCP/MCP option was the default. It's the only one that I feel comfortable using.

Wishlist:
-It would be very nice to select individual tracks for the various "add border" options in the MCP, not just for all A,B or C tracks.
-Separators for the TCP/MCP tracks would be great, with adjustable width
-Option for fader knob colors.
-The knobs for vol, pan & width have a very thin center line indicator that doesn't go all the way out to the edge, making them hard to see.
Making the center line a tiny bit wider with a bit more saturated color, and reaching the edge would make them easier to see.

Question.
Is it possible to adjust and change the track fader meter color, from default green to two gradient colors of choice in the theme editor or elsewhere?
I have it like that in the "default nitpicky edition" theme in Reaper 5.

Last edited by batcat; 11-27-2019 at 08:08 PM.
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #112
poetnprophet

Also, the TCP values disappear at a certain height:

poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:33 AM   #113
Ericson

WT, do you know that some plugins are not scaling up?
See image: left is plugin opened in Reaper and right is plugin opened stand alone (outside of Reaper)

Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 AM   #114
Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post

Wishlist:

-The knobs for vol, pan & width have a very thin center line indicator that doesn't go all the way out to the edge, making them hard to see.
Making the center line a tiny bit wider with a bit more saturated color, and reaching the edge would make them easier to see.

I totally agree with the above. The thin line of the pan and volume knob is not easy to see and looks very flat. I would prefer it to be like in Bitwig:

As you can see the ' line' is clear to see and there are shadows to give the knob more depth. I also like the outside ' ring' indicating the position, making it more clear at what position the knob is.

This could also be applied to the faders:

@WT, would it be possible to have an option to place the time ruler at the bottom of the arrange view instead of the top? I'm using a big screen and I would prefer to see the ruler at the bottom (I would place the ruler above the transport, makes more sense). Or an option to have it at top AND at bottom like this:

Last edited by Ericson; 11-28-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:47 AM   #115
Vagalume

Sometimes some little green points appear ... the number varies (sometimes 7, sometimes 2,3,1 ... sometimes 0). Position They are always in the same height, I don't find anything that activates them, they just appear.

Err .. I might have broken something ... or maybe they just indicate something that I don't know.

Just in case ... I leave it here

Last edited by Vagalume; 11-28-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:46 AM   #116
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Is there a way to make the master mixer smaller/thinner?

+1 to this, I have to set the master to 50/75% but then everything is much too small in the master. I'd like to have an option to make it the same size as regular tracks at 150/200%.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #117
mykrobinson

Quote:
You need to try the script out, not only does it allow you to add sidebars (and conditionally add them) it can also change the mixer to its narrow form (and conditionally do that too.)
WT

I am trying the script and the narrow form is not quite what i am looking for (preference thing i guess) as opposed to the layout option for 75% or 50%, which i assume would keep the default setting for layout A, B, or C, but be 50% or 75% width with all elements scaled. When I try any of the layout options lower than 100%, there is no change. This is running RC7 in a portable install in order to make sure that nothing I have done in Reaper 5 is affecting things.

thanks for responding, and thanks for your work on this. The new theme is quite attractive, and I am likely just set in my ways
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #118
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Sometimes some little green points appear ...
Confirmed in rc7 I see the green dots too

It seems to be created by a pixel area that does not follow with the green separator line that show up when resizing the tcp. It is left behind and forgotten, left alone in this dark world
Old 11-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #119
D Rocks

Is there a way to not re-color this TCP area for tracks ?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #120
lowellben

Quote:
Is there a way to not re-color this TCP area for tracks ?
I was thinking the same thing. You mean like only tint the number area and not the whole track area?