Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default best solution to collaborate with someone who can't afford a computer?

My sister has had a passion for singing all her life. She sings praise and worship songs and I really respect her for that even though I'm probably quite different and a horse-of-a-different color, spiritually speaking.

Last year she was given $1,000 by someone to record this single that she wrote the vocals for. I set up a bandcamp for it last night: https://annagrebe.bandcamp.com/releases

Considering the engineer hired out a drummer and wrote the music, I wouldn't call it a total rip off, but I do wish she would've consulted me and I could've maybe asked SWS to do it (she lives about 45 minutes away from Standing Water Studios).

I feel a bit frustrated that she didn't ask me how to best spend a grand on a single recording, but what's done is done. I would've told her to buy a computer and showed her how to track vocals. I'll be ok. *deep breath*

At this point, what kind of options can you guys think of that would help her to track vocals on a shoestring budget with no computer? I can do a lot from my studio here in Minneapolis, I just would need her to track the vocals. I'm still waiting to hear back on what kind of phone she has, but I was thinking of trying to figure out how she could do it with an IK iRig Pre or some such thing. I'm just not sure off the top of my head of what Android software can do multitrack recording.

tl;dr: I make some music that my sister sings for. She doesn't have a computer and can't buy one. What is a good cheap way to get this done?
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
clepsydrae

How cheap are we talking, here?

You can get computers fully capable of basic multi-track audio recording for like $40 on eBay or at local flea markets (if you have the know-how to clean them up, etc.). $10 monitor at goodwill, $20 used interface off eBay, etc. I would think that's your best bet in terms of bargain bang for the buck. I mean, you could record a few tracks of digital audio on home computers in the late 80's. Just about anything that still boots up would be capable of recording what you're talking about. I just mention this because sometimes people think they have to go to Best Buy and spend $300 to get a computer so they can record audio.

Does she have a mic? You mentioned the iRig PRE, so I assume yes? That seems to go for ~$40, so that sounds like a good way to go, too (not that I have any experience with it.) Especially if she's not already savvy with the audio software world.

Another route could be a portable recorder off eBay. e.g. this, or this, or this. Might be able to find one with good quality built-in mics or XLR-in for like $100-$150?

If she only has like an SM58 or something, the built-in mics on those handheld recorders (or her iPhone, for that matter) will possibly sound better anyway, depending on your goals.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
clepsydrae

Re-reading your post, I realize you probably know most of what i wrote. Hope it wasn't pointless. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
jerome_oneil

If all she is doing is recording, forgo the computer outright and just buy a good solid Zoom or Tascam digital field recorder. You'll get a decent enough recording from it, they are somewhat expandable if she wants to add a better mic later on, and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

You can get a brand new Zoom Hn4 for less than $200, and be recording immediately out of the box.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote