Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Erland1
Human being with feelings

Default Home recording - outboard compressor scenario - need advice

Hello,

I have a simple set up, my question is about best practice/possible signal-degradation.

Scenario: I got a dbx 1066 compressor cheap and would like to use it to process things. For a straight input chain, no problem - but, I would also like to process mix elements coming out of Reaper - much like a normal FX insert. How I set it up: I have a NI Audio Kontrol 1 interface. It has 4 outputs. I send outputs 3 and 4 to the compressor (1/4 inch jacks), and the channel outputs on the compressor back into input 1 and 2 on the interface (1/4 inch jacks). I can then compress the signal and monitor this on one track and send it to another track in reaper to record the processed signal (muting this track while recording to avoid feedback).

I should mention that I know the 1066 is a rather particular compressor, but I think it sounds kinda cool. My question is: Am I corrupting my signal path or doing something terribly wrong? A/D - D/A, or myriad possible consequences of routing the simple Audio Kontrol back into itself is a little over my head I'm afraid. Any thoughts?

Best to all,
Erland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
serr

I used to use 1066's back in the analog days. Lots of bang for the buck in that model. It sure isn't an 1176 or anything but very useful.

Having said that... Recording raw unprocessed to 24 bit and using UA's plugin 1176 or LA2A blows anything you could do with the analog dbx out of the water. Or even the Waves versions of those compressors (which aren't quite what the UA versions are IMHO).

I say retire the 1066 and focus on getting your signal into a good quality AD converter at 24 bit (88.2k or 96k for good measure as well).

With 24 bit high sample rate audio, 64 bit fp mix engines, and the modern plugins available now, you'd really have to put together a $$$$$ analog system to even get close. 100x the cost over the tools we have available now.

I've been using the Waves SSL channel strip a lot when I run live sound. Keeps my plugin chain 'simple' for PDC concerns running live. The UA plugins trump it in the studio but the SSL eq and comp still sound really good. Almost like an SSL. Absolutely better than a 1066 analog and certainly cleaner than adding an extra DA AD to the signal chain.

Last edited by serr; 12-13-2013 at 10:10 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Erland1

Hi, thanks for your reply man - and I do agree, generally.

Thing is, as I hear it - the 1066 easily gave a "whoosey (not douchey)" credibility to synth and kick drum stuff, that I really find it hard to get on single elements digitally. For db managing vst compressors are wonderful, but I liked the punchy shaping of the dbx when pushed, it seems to ad interest in a way. Though I would consider tracking vocals through it, it would only be peak security, taking off max 2 db or so after the preamp.

Its funny though, as you say "back in the analog days" - i googled the 1066 after getting it at a thrift shop for about 50 dollars, and the SOS review was from 1996 hehe. Wonder when the fuse goes. Anyway, my plan is not for the dbx to be the master comp for finished work, but rather its one way to shape single sounds in a way thats unique to its own.

As I have no experience with analog systems but you do, I submit here a recent mix should you find the time to listen. Theres good things and bad things but I wont say more in case you actually do listen through: all sounds except white noise synth and periodic snare + FX are made on the arturia microbrute. Monitored in a regular, but high ceiling living room on Adam A3Xs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTBeZ6bJ6Og

Otherwise - get your point about ditching the Audio Kontrol - its next in line for replacement.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Erland1

By the way - theres no dbx on this mix- only reaper stock plugs/assorted free plus maag eq vst. And, the thing sounding like a guitar sounds like a guitar because it was treated to an Eventide pitchfactor haha. Thats it, thanks again!

Last edited by Erland1; 12-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.