Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #481
me2beats
Human being with feelings

Oh thanx)
me2beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:55 AM   #482
acousticglue

Add F key views to show all tracks horizontally or enlarge views of 1 or more tracks or all fader views.
acousticglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #483
AndreyMarchenko

- Turn On/Off LFO retrigger button in Parameter Modulation (LFO)
- Check/unchek columns view (size, data and etc.) in Media Explorer on mac
AndreyMarchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #484
mamazai

Being a pro daw:

1. better gui/theme, high resolution picture, especially move to trash that dark muted track view. please....
2. track name on selected floating fx window and highlighted fx on slot ( during floating fx window ). please.....
3. better time stretch.
4.*right click on tcp for height options: micro, mini, normal, etc

Last edited by mamazai; 08-16-2015 at 01:20 PM.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #485
vdubreeze

For selection to behave more predictably and let extensions/actions/scripts bring in the more powerful options.

This is pretty much my main issue with Reaper in other areas as well, mostly editing. For example, Reaper works great out of the box for those who use looping, but there's such a huge amount of people (like me) who just about never want looping features that hamper non-looping editing (such as right edge dragging not ending at item end) on by default. Fortunately, that one's just unchecking a prefs box (though it's too hidden for the usual intuitive unchecking, but no big deal). But some of these require trips to extensions/actions/scripts and their vast customizable power (which is great) just to turn off, and it's usually not as simple as it sounds.

I know many disagree with this, but I would love Reaper to be released in a "mode" that the user doesn't have to create, where it functions as a great DAW with zero nod to a looping workflow, or these little kooky power features that have me scrambling to find how to turn off, and a flip of the switch makes it a looper's (or whatever's) dream, and they can use that as their default. Or else to be released in the former mode as default and let those who love the power functions people like me are driven crazy by add them in to have them and let them create the custom mode.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 08-17-2015 at 06:48 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #486
DuX

There's only one thing that I'd really really love to see in Reaper whatever version: being able to record and process with mono plugins, a true mono track without having to pin/unpin connections between plugins all the time, and without dual-mono conversion between plugins. Dual-mono conversion is only needed at the end of the FX chain for panning. That would also cut down VST plugin CPU processing in half in many cases.

Reaper is one of the rare DAWs that doesn't support mono tracks. That is just ridiculous, honestly! I record so much in mono, from vocals to drums, to solo instruments... everything is mono!

Last edited by DuX; 12-29-2015 at 02:57 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #487
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
A better set of names/listing for the JS plugins, maybe even a low-key GUI. Something very simple but a little more intuitive.
I would like to have the possibility to add a description field to the plugins. That would be especially useful for the JS plugins.
And maybe with the possibility to add #hashtags so that you can search them later by hashtag.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #488
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
There's only one thing that I'd really really love to see in Reaper whatever version: being able to record and process with mono plugins, a true mono track without having to pin/unpin connections between plugins all the time, and without dual-mono conversion between plugins. Dual-mono conversion is only needed at the end of the FX chain for panning. That would also cut down VST plugin CPU processing in half in many cases.

Reaper is one of the rare DAWs that doesn't support mono tracks. That is just ridiculous, honestly! I record so much in mono, from vocals to drums, to solo instruments... everything is mono!
You dont need to unpin anything with mono plugins, it will auto connect pin 1 to pin 1 and 2. I use waves and duende mono plugs all the time.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #489
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
You dont need to unpin anything with mono plugins, it will auto connect pin 1 to pin 1 and 2. I use waves and duende mono plugs all the time.
I can confirm this 100%.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 AM   #490
DuX

Yes, mono plugins are really convenient because they do connect the pins automatically to mono, but unfortunately mono plugins are very rare. I don't use Waves or Duende plugins. Those are some of the most expensive plugins around and not really worth that kind of money in my humblest opinion... but YMMV, of course. I do use some Fabfilter plugins and they have separate mono/stereo versions of plugins. d=

Some rare plugins I use have a mono switch [Sonimus Satson and Britson] and that makes the job much easier, but 90% of plugins I use neither have a mono version of the plugin, nor a mono switch. So if Reaper had a mono audio track, that would make it much easier for us who record a lot of mono tracks and like them to stay mono all the way to the pan pot.

And as I said: mono processing cuts CPU consumption in half with many plugins, and that's always very welcome, eh? Some stereo plugins use double CPU processing even when you set them to mono mode in Reaper, because they "see" dual mono input. I've noticed that when I use same plugins on a mono track in Cubase that they use almost 50% less CPU. It seems like some plugins need to be forced into mono mode somehow differently than Reaper does it currently when you unpin 2nd channel on the input and pin both 1st channels on the output.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-31-2015 at 12:52 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:12 AM   #491
alextone

Default Universal project

I'd like a universal engine project type.

I use a very large orchestral template, with many instances of sample library plugins. Loading this template as a new project takes a lot of time, and i can't load/tab 2 projects in the same running instance, because the template RAM requirements are too big. (I have 64GB of ram,and the template uses about 50GB of that)

I'd like to be able to load the Universal Engine project, which stays active and synced. This UE would startup with all my sample libs loaded, and just sit there running all day and night.

I could then build a midi only universal template, and use this for all projects. This template would route midi to the Universal Engine template internally. So i could have the UE running all the time, and have a dozen midi projects tabbed. Switching and loading would be instant.

I know we could use rewire and a second instance of Reaper, but that brings it's own challenges, and is sometimes awkward to use with other apps.

With a UE and several midi projects, i could quickly copy/paste/edit across all of them, entirely within one instance of Reaper.

I consider this a more efficient use of resources, and an opportunity to improve multi project based workflow further, particularly for those of us who write almost entirely in midi.

*The midi template could also contain audio tracks, routed from the engine, which are activated when the midi is finished, and it's time to record stems. When this project is saved, it contains all the midi, without the plugs, and all the recorded audio, keeping everything in one folder.

Alex.

Last edited by alextone; 12-31-2015 at 01:20 AM.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #492
LURCHER

Default Make text larger

The text is too small and hard to read. The slider bar is hard to find. The mixer and track controls should be larger and easier to read.

Pro Tools is much clearer to use, although I prefer Reaper.

Last edited by LURCHER; 01-01-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 AM   #493
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
The text is too small and hard to read. The slider bar is hard to find. The mixer and track controls should be larger and easier to read.
This is easy to solve even without touching Reaper. If the text is too small and hard to read you should adjust the Windows theme, make fonts bigger, or adjust the DPI of the screen. It's got nothing to do with Reaper. If you find the track controls too small and unreadable you should check the Reaper stash [ https://stash.reaper.fm/ ] for some theme that works better for you. Reaper is absolutely configurable and tweakable, in comparison to ProTools. You can make it look exactly the way you like it.

If only my problem with lack of true mono tracks was so easily solvable. :/

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #494
noise_construct

1) rewrite MIDI engine and editors, "REAPER MIDI 2.0", basically make MIDI editing as strong as audio editing is

2) include SWS in core

3) design a competent default theme and streamline theming (and theming documentation)

4) simplify TCP and MCP layout editing and enable it from REAPER (for easy selection of element display options)

5) allow display of FX in TCP

6) one-click MIDI/OSC learn for all on-screen controls (volume, pan etc)
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #495
Kiddo

Default Tabs anyone

Why can't we have tabbed views just like firefox and be able to click and display several at same time if needed and all tabs be saved as well. Oh yeh and before i go midi midi midi midi midi midi midi midi midi midimidi midi midi midi midimidi midi midi midi midimidi midi midi midi midi
the Evil Dragon has Spoken............................................ ....maybe midi really is a god we must bow down to...?...............never........................ ..
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #496
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I don't use Waves or Duende plugins. Those are some of the most expensive plugins around and not really worth that kind of money in my humblest opinion... but YMMV, of course.
Never ever buy them at their "standard" rate. All of them get a more or less decent discount at one time or the other.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:40 AM   #497
Knob Twiddler

Hi there,

I am new to Reaper and was looking for midi feedback from my VSTi back to my midicontroller.
In Reaper it looks like it doesn't exist, but I also cannot find one person in this thread mentioning it. Is it possible?
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #498
Nystagmus

Here it is 4 years later, and MIDI editing still suffers from the same weaknesses. Yet instead of improving and streamlining the features, the devs decided to try and jump the cliff otherwise known as Notation.

I grew up learning music notation as a pianist/keyboard player from 1st grade of elementary school to my 4th of college. But after that, I quit using it because it's more practical to just record what you perform as MIDI data and then edit out the mistakes in a piano roll editor, or practice practice practice and edit out your mistakes of recorded performance audio.

In other words, I haven't used music notation in over 15 years. It's not entirely intuitive, and it many ways it's a waste of time unless you play in a live band or orchestra and are assigned sheet music. But for DAW use, it's just not needed and that's probably why most DAW programs don't have it as a prominent feature or include it at all in some cases.

Every other DAW program I have used has better implementation than Reaper.
Reaper is still great for editing audio and for how it manages VST instruments and effects, but the MIDI implementation is suffering for basic usage from setting the BPM (without screwing up all the audio) to quantizing and grid settings (which are way too complex compared to every other DAW out there).

Here are the other programs I am referring to which seem to have simpler MIDI implementation:

Cakewalk Music Creator 3 (& 4)... (it was a baby version of Sonar)
MultitrackStudio Pro Plus
FL Studio
EnergyXT
Cubasis VST (it was a baby version of Cubase back in the early VST(i) days.
BitWig Studio (demo)

I don't know about Ableton Live; I've never used it.
I haven't use Logic either although I did use the German freeware Logic Fun several decades ago. But I think I only used audio in that if I remember correctly.

Also, I still don't use Linux DAW programs so I can't compare those either yet.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #499
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I grew up learning music notation as a pianist/keyboard player from 1st grade of elementary school to my 4th of college. But after that, I quit using it because it's more practical to just record what you perform as MIDI data and then edit out the mistakes in a piano roll editor, or practice practice practice and edit out your mistakes of recorded performance audio.
In a way I agree with you Nystagmus, I'm probably not going to use the notation editor either. Back in the early 90s I tried desperately to use the fledgling notation editors then.

It didn't take long to realize the notation editors would never offer the capabilities that a regular piano roll editor can give you.

Actually I did use Cakewalks notation quite a bit for writing out quick little charts for horn players that were recording in my studio. Also, song writers would hire me to create little charts for their songs. Cakewalk was great for this, and maybe Reaper is too, although I think Reaper is far more involved.

I'm glad though, that all the folks that wanted it are now getting their wishes.

My biggest problem are some of those little settings that inadvertently get changed and I haven't a clue why something isn't working right any more.

Still, I work in the ME every day and I'm still managing to do what I want to do, and I have no desire to make any DAW changes. Actually, I couldn't change DAWs, because there is no other DAW in the world that can accomplish what all my customization can do.

But some more midi love won't hurt.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote