Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you like Reaper's logo and splash-screen?
Yes 74 42.29%
No 101 57.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 AM   #41
LOSER
Human being with feelings

Well I kinda like the logo (reminds me a bit of tux). Not so shure about the splash screen though (it disapears so fast ).

But I can understand why some people don't like the logo and want something more "serious" and matter-of-fact...
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #42
brainwreck

Serious shmerious. I turn off the splash but I can dig the little happy death guy.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #43
todd24

Ehh, Whatever. It doesnt make a differance to me.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #44
marce

Is the current splash image editable? I mean, is a separated png file?
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #45
Gerry G

Default What about this

So many words on a logo?????????????????????????????????? How about a competition to come up with a pastiche of different sounds say 4 or 5 ultimately to open Reaper with a splash of sound?

Say a Synth rising to a pitch; a killer guitar tone; a beautiful chamber orchestra playing as a lovely lady strip.......stop; a brass fanfare and thunder and lightning.

Remember the MGM lion? It was the sound that made him scary.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #46
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
ugggh, welcome to the 80s

megadeth anyone?
Iron Maiden.

-mr moon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #47
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
Iron Maiden.

-mr moon
geez....kids these days. They have no idea what good musicians sound like and have no idea who Eddy is.....There is no hope. We aught to lock 'em all in a closet and make them listen to Piece of Mind and the Number of the Beast for a Week and follow that with some Loudness to give them some Far East culturing.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #48
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
geez....kids these days. They have no idea what good musicians sound like and have no idea who Eddy is.....There is no hope. We aught to lock 'em all in a closet and make them listen to Piece of Mind and the Number of the Beast for a Week and follow that with some Loudness to give them some Far East culturing.

ruunnnnn toooo thaa hilllllllllsss..
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #49
Rednroll

I prefer this for a splash screen.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #50
Alistair S

Last edited by Alistair S; 12-13-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #51
Youn

I voted no, but I don't hate it.

It might be cool to do a monthly user submitted logo/art.

Something more abstract and not so literal is what I'm thinking.
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #52
Fozzie

Aaahhh, this thread has 666 views at this moment; that can't be good :shock:

Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #53
Paul

Sorry kids.... its a thumbs down from me. Although the program is now my application of choice by a mile, the icon and splash just look too much like dodgy rock to me. Not wishing to be rude to anyone or support the big corporate thingy-me-bob, anything that is genre unspecific has to be the way forward to my tiny mind. Just think how upset everyone would get if they was repalced with a Cowboy hat or Boy Band vest!!!

Ahhhh.... sod it... not really that bothered. At least the software blooming works!!!

Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #54
circuit23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I prefer this for a splash screen.

LOL! +1 for x-ray skull!
circuit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #55
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Sorry kids.... its a thumbs down from me. Although the program is now my application of choice by a mile, the icon and splash just look too much like dodgy rock to me. Not wishing to be rude to anyone or support the big corporate thingy-me-bob, anything that is genre unspecific has to be the way forward to my tiny mind. Just think how upset everyone would get if they was repalced with a Cowboy hat or Boy Band vest!!!

Ahhhh.... sod it... not really that bothered. At least the software blooming works!!!
Paul
Ah, I can see that, yes.

It's interesting the connections that people make with a word or a picture. I never really got the dodgy rock thing.

I got Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper! Which kind of helped

... err.. of course, you may see that as "dodgy rock"
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #56
sstillwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
ruunnnnn toooo thaa hilllllllllsss..
Run foooor your liiiiiiiiiife.

YES!
sstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #57
Stringer

We've all had this conversation before. I think that Justin is engaged in anti-marketing. I doubt there were any marketing types involved when the Cockos/Reaper/Jesusonic naming was created. "Reaper" has certain inescapable connotations that are not much ameliorated by making a happy reaper. If you "toughen up" the reaper, you might appeal to the metal heads among us, but you lessen the appeal to others. I think it would be easier to market something called "Clank," "Cacophony," or "Smoking Hole in the Ground" than "Reaper."

Having said that, the software is just amazing and I would use it even if it were called "Latrine."

The best name for a broad market is something that has connotations of strength, reliability and coolness, without many specifics. That way everybody can read in their own associations, so it has broad appeal. You could call the same software "Grim Reaper" and "Lark in the Morning," and different people would buy it for different reasons. It wouldn't do any good to toughen up the lark. Cubase, Pro Tools, Sonar, and even N-track, as names, have this generic vague techie appeal. "Reaper" has specific connotations that narrow the appeal.

I don't think that Reaper wants to change its name, however, or even that it should. Maybe it will defy all precedent and succeed on sheer quality and general awesomeness.

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #58
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd24 View Post
Ehh, Whatever. It doesnt make a differance to me.
+1

I like the fact that the splash screen doesn't stay there for long - Reaper loads fast.

Logo design doesn't mean much to me - as long as it works.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:36 AM   #59
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Having said that, the software is just amazing and I would use it even if it were called "Latrine."
Damn, now I've got to peel the pizza I was eating from off the screen...
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #60
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
"You changed your name TO Latrine?"
"Yeah, it used to be Shithouse"
"That's a GOOD change"
(Anyone into Mel Brooks films will know what I am talking about)

AMD Athlon-XP 3000+ @ 3200+, 1GB DDR-RAM, Presonus Inspire 1394, Edirol MA-15D

It is always good weather indoors!
Xaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 AM   #61
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post

John
I agree, but I think we're all members of the demographic who is more concerned with utility rather than atheistics and image... Additionally, you can just disable the splash screen and it becomes a subconscious and hidden annoyance.

...I still think he looks like Budman.

-mr moon
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #62
zendar

i agree that justin doesnt actually seem that fussed, and thats probably a good thing - marketing glitz can drain the essence of a product and i personally dont mind too much what the logo and splash look like, as long as justin is happy to keep building this app along the path it has gone thus far...

besides, i thought winamp was a pretty crap name, but used it because it was what others recommended and i couldnt find anything better ( i tried plenty). all that llama stuff went over my head...

i found out about reaper via the sony forums. i was fed up with them dropping the ball and bloating my beloved acid/vegas. when i saw pipe, red and others (who i knew were switched on) were overe here then it was a wrap.

the name 'reaper', justins personal politics or lack of, the dodgy demo song, the ageing rocker fanbase (no offence guys) - i can deal with all of this without shouting and screaming or even caring - i just want the small footprint, super-lean and rapidly improving ginsu knife that i have found in reaper.

having said all of that, IMO the best looking apps are vegas and ableton. they have a clean and understated yet professional sheen to them. copy either of those and i'd be pleased. dont get sued though
zendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #63
politcat

for those who don't care, don't bother. for some others, let justin speak for himself.

so it's about time for the capable artists out there to start posting alternatives.
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #64
griz lee

Watch how some folks laugh when you boot it up in their very 'serious' studios and stop laughing the second after you hit play.

Their expression is replaced with one that is really priceless...
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #65
Xaake

Haven't thought at all about the logo until now, I think it is a really nice logotype, grimmy looks great and such, but I can start to see what you people complaining about the lack of professional look mean. Take a look at these logos:

http://www.fasoft.com/graphics/splashWeb.gif
http://www.intergraphica.net/workshop/logo.gif
http://www.stoltze.com/portfolio/ide...id_image1a.jpg
http://195.20.15.207/0/00/47/87/images/ableton_logo.gif
http://www.cakewalk.com/images/Press...ion_2_icon.gif

These are big professional programs (ok maybe xept n-tracks), some of them even almost as good as REAPER. What do these logos have in common? They are really stylish and simplistic. And if you look at them you can actually see that the n-track logo is not as nice as you think by just looking at it! My personal favorite is definitely the cakewalk logo btw

Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #66
leker

I agree Xaake
Someone with no knowledge of those programs may based their decision on which to try first on the logo (after price and features). I also felt the same about Fruity studios. Back in the days when it was called FruityLoops. The name and logo alone gave me the perception that it was not as good as other programs in its class. So I stayed away from it, only later to find that FruityLoops is a powerful program that did everything that I wanted.
leker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #67
chip mcdonald

I don't care about the logo. But I'd like Reaper to be successful in order to insure it's continued development.

The present Reaper logo is cartoony and "wacky". If that's what you want Reaper to be, then it makes sense.

As far as the religious angle, that's always going to be a problem. Hard to explain, but for example: 3 doors down from me there's a church. 1 block over there's a church. 1 block behind me there's a church. In my neighborhood there's literally about 10 churches. Not only can you not buy alcohol here on sunday, over in s.c. you can't buy *anything but milk* at Walmart until 1:30 p.m. (which is really, really annoying if you need blank DVD's at 2 a.m.)
However, at said Walmarts you can buy a video game "Eternal Forces" where the goal is for Christians to convert muslims and rock stars, or else kill them... and you can buy Bibles and those "Left Behind" books at the checkout in grocery stores.

Anything that obliquely references the supernatural is going to be avoided by that demographic, like it or not. Jesusonic - forget it, that's blasphemy. So, you're writing off the Christian market effectively. Which in the south, is an enormous market.

But like I said *I* don't care as long as the program does what I want. If Justin doesn't care about the Christian market, than it doesn't matter from that angle. But the logo still looks unprofessional.

On the other hand, my idiotic city just paid $55,000 to have this created as the city logo:

... gahhhh.

/ Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.....
// gets phone calls at my business from people looking for "Christian guitar lessons"
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #68
thectrain

If I were to make a logo I would use the Cockos logo more predominantly take out the "Grimmy Logo" and use the word REAPER as the logo. I think simple and clean is the best way to go. As posted above I also like the cakewalk logo the best of the logos he posted.
thectrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #69
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
However, at said Walmarts you can buy a video game "Eternal Forces" where the goal is for Christians to convert muslims and rock stars, or else kill them... and you can buy Bibles and those "Left Behind" books at the checkout in grocery stores.
Are you kidding? Really exist that game?
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #70
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
// gets phone calls at my business from people looking for "Christian guitar lessons"
Does that mean no "Smoke on the Water"? ...

malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #71
Alistair S

Well, you could change the Reaper connotation quite easily if you wanted, by placing a row of ears of corn to represent a spectral graph next to the word Reaper.

I am not attached to the logo, nor am I put off by it. Whatever works. However, I don't believe that this product needs to emulate the existing corporate products to gain widespread usage.

Part of the appeal (I think) is in the almost "sub-culture" feel generated by the low-key marketing, the "2 guys in a room" development and the sheer intimacy generated by that.

"Build it and they will come".

As to the Christian extremists in Chip's area.. just wow! That scares me Chip, to be honest. It feels as if religious fundamentalists of all persuasions are having far too much say these days to me.

"Christian guitar lessons"? Give me strength!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #72
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Are you kidding? Really exist that game?
Yes.

http://www.leftbehindgames.com/pages/controversy.htm

-mr moon
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #73
yep

i think it would be cool if the lil Reaper guy did a dance ala "peanut Butter Jelly Time" except to the theme from Duck Hunt. Other than that I'm cool with it.

I like the informal, cartoony vibe, especially since the GUI is all business (which I also like). I for one respond more favorably to this visual approach than to the gleaming, glowing, sci-fi chrome-and-gunmetal/Korova milk bar look of the leading brands, which to me seem hopelessly nerdy, and also seem like a profoundly condescending kick in the teeth when the damn thing doesn't work right-- "No, you can't patch to a new bus in real-time, that crashes the program. But look at the eerie, futuristic glow of our logo... chicks will be impressed by your computer..."
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #74
woolyloach

Dunno.. the current logo and splash screen are fine. I rarely look at it, frankly, the one time I did I kind of thought Grimmy was cute!

Other than that, since I tend to leave Reaper running for hours on end (in case I get inspired) it's not something that is on my radar as a "necessary change".

That said, I'd go for a "grim reaper" that was a llama with a scythe!!!! "the Grim Llama"... scary!
woolyloach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #75
Xaake

Well The Grim Reaper has nothing to do with christian religion, so I fail to see the problem being a christian myself. I would hersitate to use the program if it was called Satan though. I am also sad to see some of the impact a christian community can have, even though some of the points they have make sense, noone will see it because of the majority of strange elements. Videogames by the way can sometimes be very strange, I seem to remeber a game on my old Comodore 64 that was a Vietnam game, where one of the bonus stages was to execute vietnam pow:s, this Eternal Forces seems to be in the same league, but maybe one should try it or at least read a review from someone who has played it before commenting on it.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #76
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Quote:
Damn, now I've got to pee on the pizza I was eating from off the screen...
standing on a chair instead might be less dangerous - or just put the plate on the ground for a moment...
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #77
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendar View Post
having said all of that, IMO the best looking apps are vegas and ableton. they have a clean and understated yet professional sheen to them. copy either of those and i'd be pleased. dont get sued though
WOW!!! Those are like opposite sides of the spectrum for me, when I look at Vegas and Ableton. I never could quite understand the layout of Ableton, but Vegas I was onboard with the look and feel the first time I tried v1.0.

Hang in there Zender.....soon we'll have the entire Sony forum family over here, and then we can start bitching at one another again, and have the reunited dysfunctional family reunion...LOL!!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #78
Youn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
standing on a chair instead might be less dangerous - or just put the plate on the ground for a moment...
wait... was Art eating off of his screen? I'm confused now. Or was he peeing on it? That's not right... I think someone was once eating off of my screen at one point because there are several goudges in them (it's used) maybe this was Art? I'm hoping this is the case... forgot what this thread was about... I think people should use chop sticks more often
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #79
Diogenes

FWIW... I like the logo. Don't see a thing wrong with it meself... but hey, what do I know?

D

PS Also, I bet Grimmy was a heckuva alot cheaper than Augusta's new logo. Crazy Georgia wack-jobs... Oh, it's OK. I'm from the south too... we're just full o' wack-jobs down here and that's just the way we like it!

Last edited by Diogenes; 12-14-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #80
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendar View Post
the ageing rocker fanbase (no offence guys)
Maybe to appeal to us old guys it should be called "Electric Llamaland." No?

"Third Llama from the Sun"?

How about "Llama, Bold as Love"? No?

"Band of Llamas"?

No? See "Reaper" is just fine. It's not marketable, but who cares?

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote