Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #161
MT_
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Hence them being very small? So no way to fix that? There has to be some sort of way. Im kinda regretting buying a 4K deal TBH.
As I said in my next-to-last comment, run those old plugins in a separate process in Reaper.
MT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #162
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_ View Post
Insert → Virtual instrument on new track → Right click on the VSTi name → Run as → Separate process (or Dedicated process).
Oh man no more squinting!!!! TYVM! Is there any performace issues to be had bridging everything?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #163
EvilDragon

There is a very tiny bit of overhead for inter-process communication and a very minor CPU hit, but usually it's all good.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #164
lxm

Exellent. I am finding things generally laggy with my 4k TV monitor. Any tips to reduce this?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #165
EvilDragon

Not from me, I don't use 4K displays. I suppose HiDPI support in Reaper is still experimental, thus performance might not be best.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #166
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not from me, I don't use 4K displays. I suppose HiDPI support in Reaper is still experimental, thus performance might not be best.
Yeah...... Regret it a little haha. Ableton 10 seems near perfect in this area. Hopefully this will continue to improve.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #167
EvilDragon

Ableton is using vector graphics (IIRC) rather than bitmaps, so therein might be the difference.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #168
MT_

Default Separate-process performance

Quote:
Oh man no more squinting!!!! TYVM!
You are welcome. Btw, the only alternative DAW I know of that allows Windows-powered scaling of older plugins by running them in separate processes is FL Studio, but Reaper’s implementation looks more stable, though I didn’t work with it much yet.

Quote:
Is there any performace issues to be had bridging everything?
In terms of CPU performance, running different tasks in separate processes potentially provides better performance thanks to fuller utilizing of computational power of multicore CPUs because each task is able to run on its own core even if each single task is not optimized for multiple cores. Real performance depends on implementation: for example, multiprocess Firefox annoyingly causes mouse cursor to move at slow and constantly changing speed on a regular basis which is very annoying.

Graphics performance should not depend much on whether processes are separate. If you have performance issues at 4K, it’s probably because your CPU and/or GPU are not fast/modern enough.

It’s also possible that it’s an issue of the graphics driver you use. For example, with nVidia drivers 361.91+ under Windows 7, there is frequent stuttering noticeable during moving mouse or scrolling in e.g. a web browser like Firefox. I have GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB and Intel i7-3770T, and with older nVidia drivers like 353.06, 4K experience is quite smooth with the same hardware.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #169
TobyAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
I've been having fun messing with this experimental HiDPI theme but I've been using it on my non-HiDPI Windows 10 laptop & PC. My laptop's resolution is 1366 x 768.
That's pretty neato, can I try it?
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #170
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyAM View Post
Sure, no problem! I’ll post the info a little later today...
Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #171
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyAM View Post
My tweaks of the Default 5.0 x2 theme has changed quite a bit over time.

•Simple | clean | stripped down
•Flat backgrounds and inactive elements
•Mouse over inactive elements brings depth (outline and shadow, etc...)
•Some elements are interactive (when mouse over or click)
•Active elements are bold / inactive elements are subtle
•10 Fader color options / layouts for TCP and MCP
•Text Toolbars

Here's a few screenshots:

I still have some things to work on and improve...

*I hope more is done in the future to finish the entire interface x2!

Thanks for all your hard work, REAPER crew!

Last edited by +NRG; 12-11-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Deleted images in error
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #172
MT_

Default @2x Theme to be completed?

When is the @2x Reaper Theme going to be completed? It’s almost 2 years since the last update. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #173
kiki98

In fact, and that is expecting a vector renderer with smooth bend rendering, tasteful antialiasing, a comprehension of things like pixel limit snapping and line-weight visual enhancement for when the scaling is anyplace close to the unmistakable pixel level. Gatherer utilizes Cockos' LICE (lightweight picture compositing motor) which is unflinchingly structured as a lightweight (as the name proposes) and elite picture motor. Its vector drawing looks like what it is : improved for effectiveness instead of excellence.

I would be extremely steady of Reaper having the capacity to parse a SVG, and afterward draw it delightfully at size utilizing a (conceivably altogether new) designs motor. The previous would be somewhat futile without the last mentioned; and the last would be a, major component ask for that could likewise be contended to negate the standards of the REAPER venture. My desire is that, making reasonable suspicions, the probability of that is low.
kiki98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #174
srdmusic

Can anyone on this forum explain how I would go about using the HiDPI version of the Reaper theme? Thus far on my end the HiDPI themes have been unusable.

I've tried it, Reaper does have higher resolution graphics. However, the images take up twice the screen space. Therefore, it's not actually higher resolution, it's just larger images.

I've tried scaling Reaper by 50% but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Second question: I have a custom theme I built pretty much from the ground out. Is there a way of easily 'up-resing' the images in my current theme to make them HiDPI images or do I basically have to redraw each image by hand?

If I can get the HiDPI default theme working I'd like to hire the services of someone on this forum to help me convert my current theme to HiDPI.

Thanks in advance for your help.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #175
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Can anyone on this forum explain how I would go about using the HiDPI version of the Reaper theme? Thus far on my end the HiDPI themes have been unusable.

I've tried it, Reaper does have higher resolution graphics. However, the images take up twice the screen space. Therefore, it's not actually higher resolution, it's just larger images.

I've tried scaling Reaper by 50% but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Second question: I have a custom theme I built pretty much from the ground out. Is there a way of easily 'up-resing' the images in my current theme to make them HiDPI images or do I basically have to redraw each image by hand?

If I can get the HiDPI default theme working I'd like to hire the services of someone on this forum to help me convert my current theme to HiDPI.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If I remember correctly you're on Windows, did you set up the options correctly?

"On Windows: Options > Preferences > General > Advanced UI/system tweaks > HiDPI mode. Restart REAPER."
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #176
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
If I remember correctly you're on Windows, did you set up the options correctly?

"On Windows: Options > Preferences > General > Advanced UI/system tweaks > HiDPI mode. Restart REAPER."
Yep, tried setting it to HiDPI 'Multi Monitor Aware' and 'Aware'

I've also tried all the setting in windows application comparability mode where you can set different HiPDI mode overrides. To change these setting I right clicked on the Reaper application file then clicked the compatibility tab.

No combination of these settings seem to fix the problem of Reaper incorrectly scaling the images.

So is this a bug or has someone actually achieved Reaper running in HiDPI or Retina Mode?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #177
dub3000

On Win 10, 4k screen, 200% scaling in windows settings

Reaper settings:
HiDPI: aware
HiDPI theme installed
Reaper scaling mode set in Windows to application (right-click app icon, properties, compatibility tab, "change hi dpi settings", scaling performed by: "Application")

Works ok-ish. Plugin scaling is still weird (this is on the plugins to fix, mostly). Other things are mostly usable.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #178
MaXyM

Quote:

I've tried it, Reaper does have higher resolution graphics. However, the images take up twice the screen space.

Reading your post I'm suspecting you are using 4K monitor. Tell us if I'm wrong.

For 4K monitors you don't need higher dpi. Density of pixels (DPI - dots per inch) for 4K monitors is approximately the same as for normal FullHD monitors. 4K monitors are just like four FullHD monitors arranged in an 2x2 array.
It's obvious that HighDPI themes (like 200% ones) which provides twice as big GUI elements (in pixels measured dimension) will appear on 4K monitors... hmm two times bigger than you expecting.

HighDPI themes are useful for retina displays which displays more pixels per absolute dimension unit (ie inch).

read this thread for more details.

But long story short: use normal themes for 4K monitors. Try to find a theme with element size matching your needs (since 4K monitor sizes varies, GUI elements might be a little too small in case of smaller monitors)

Last edited by MaXyM; 01-18-2019 at 04:04 AM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #179
MT_

Default Enabling HiDPI mode step by step

Quote:
Can anyone on this forum explain how I would go about using the HiDPI version of the Reaper theme?
Try again, it works:

1. Enable HiDPI mode of Reaper:

“Options” menu → “Preferences” item → “General” tab → “Advanced UI/system tweaks” button → “HiDPI mode (Windows 7+)” dropdown → “Aware (experimental)” item.

Overriding DPI mode via executable’s properties is a workaround intended solely for non-DPI-aware software, it does not make sense to use it with Reaper given that Reaper has an explicit built-in option for the same purpose.

2. Restart Reaper. This is crucially important because enabling DPI-awareness in a Windows application programmatically is solely possible when no windows created and shown yet.

3. Install the HiDPI theme by drag-and-dropping it to Reaper window.

4. Select the HiDPI theme in Reaper:

“Options” menu → “Themes” item → “Default_5.0_hidpi” item.

5. Make sure your OS-level zoom is 200%. That’s the only zoom level the current HiDPI theme is designed for.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #180
MT_

Default Whether 4K is HiDPI depends on display size and viewing distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
For 4K monitors you don't need higher dpi. Density of pixels (DPI - dots per inch) for 4K monitors is approximately the same as for normal FullHD monitors.
Looks like a false dichotomy. Whether 4K is HiDPI depends on display size and viewing distance. I have a 24″ 4K monitor Dell P2415Q — it has high pixel density (is HiDPI/Retina) compared with an FHD monitor of the same size, and I use my 4K monitor at 200% OS-level zoom.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #181
MaXyM

Quote:
Looks like a false dichotomy. Whether 4K is HiDPI depends on display size and viewing distance. I have a 24″ 4K monitor Dell P2415Q — it has high pixel density (is HiDPI/Retina) compared with an FHD monitor of the same size, and I use my 4K monitor at 200% OS-level zoom.

Yes.. you are right. It comes from missing clear naming distinction between big and 'normal' size monitors, both providing 4K pixels count.

When I think '4K', I mean big monitors/TV which has quadrupled pixels count comparing to FullHD. I admit it's not proper interpretation at all.

You have real high pixel density monitor. Both kinds of monitors requires themes prepared in different way (while 4K big monitors is closer to normal FullHD one pixel density-wise). In other words: for sure theme dedicated for high dpi displays will not be so useful on 4K big displays
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #182
blumpy

Default Scaling

Forgive my ignorance but I still can’t figure out how to scale this down. I’m running a couple of 43” 4K monitors and hidpi themes are huge. They look great but it’s just too big.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #183
MT_

Default 100% or 200%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
I’m running a couple of 43” 4K monitors and hidpi themes are huge.
What is the zoom chosen in operating-system settings for those monitors? 100% or 200%? Given the display size of 43” you mentioned, it’s likely 100%, and if so, you don’t need HiDPI mode and theme, just use the default mode and theme intended for use at 100%.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:28 AM   #184
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
It should be possible to provide (satisfactory) intermediate scaling options by the devs. Scaling the assets down (200% -> 130%) should be relatively easy to do with good results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
...and is already possible.
I'm digging in possible ways of adapting Reaper GUI/themes to my needs (4K 42" monitor). What I did so far:

1. manipulating with global_scale parameter in rtconfig file.

In DefaultCammala5 200% I changed 2.0 to 1.3 .

Some most elements have been scaled down (incl width of tracks in TCP or pan knobs). Other haven't: volume sliders, some fonts. Graphical layout got distorted.

Click image to get original size

In Default 5 Dark Extended I added global_scale line = 1.3 (there was no one initially)
Again, some elements were not scaled up, like volume sliders. Pan knobs turned into more square shape. Some things went unaligned.

Click image to get original size

In both cases toolbar icons are not scaled.
For unknown reason volume sliders are being not scaled, in addition being moved horizontally out from their position defined by background graphics.

2. I was also playing with "Scale UI elements" option. But it doesn't work for some themes. I did back-to-back comparison, confirmed that this configuration parameter doesn't work when a theme sets the global_scale parameter.

Checking with Default 5 Dark Extended (which has no global_scale set in theme), setting "Scale UI elements" to 1.3 gives the same result (glitches-wise) like adding global_scale =1.3 described above.

At this point I'd like to react on @EvilDragon's response quoted above: what is possible? It seems, that adding global_scale to theme, effectively locks ability to scale the theme down to a user needs. On the other hand, scaling (either using global_scale or preferences option) has serious issues. Then question is, where the root cause lays: in a theme, letting theme creator to improve it, or in Reaper code.

Last edited by MaXyM; 01-27-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #185
Dewdman42

so how can we enable this hiDPI or retina mode on OS X version of Reaper? The UI tweak pref that is mentioned in this thread does not appear under OSX.

I'm using HiDPI mode with my mac and a 4k monitor, which is basically about the same thing as Retina mode. In any case, it does seem available. So everything looks poor quality on my mac where everything else other then reaper looks wonderful.

What can I do to get proper Retina or HiDPI functionality with reaper now in 2019?
Dewdman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #186
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
so how can we enable this hiDPI or retina mode on OS X version of Reaper? The UI tweak pref that is mentioned in this thread does not appear under OSX.
just download and install the theme and it should work without selecting any options. on my MBP Retina it's identical in layout and size to the standard theme, but fonts and graphics are twice sharper.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #187
Dewdman42

Thanks that is definitely a million times better, though the fonts are still TINY.

Is there an easy way to nudge up the size of fonts without getting fuzzy?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #188
NYlaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
Thanks that is definitely a million times better, though the fonts are still TINY.

Is there an easy way to nudge up the size of fonts without getting fuzzy?
In the 'Actions Menu' filter for 'theme' you will find:
'Theme development: Show theme tweak/configuration window'
run this will open up the theme editor
filter for font will bring up all the available modifiable fonts in the format:
0:00 WALTER font 1
or
0:00 'The actual name of what the it font will effect'
Double clicking on a line will bring up a selector where you can choose font, style, and size.
The full list of used fonts taken from the walter configuration file (rtconfig.txt) is
; ----------------- WALTER -------------------
; font #1 - MCP Track Numbers
; font #2 - Extended Mixer
; font #3 - Transport Selection
; font #4 - Envcp labels
; font #5 - Transport Rate
; font #6 - Extended Mixer - Large layouts
; font #7 - Double size labels
; font #8 - Double size smaller labels
; -------------------------------------------
Once you changed anything be sure to use the save button within the editor.
If it doesn't help with the particular text you're concerned with, it's probably beyond the scope of of the current build of the theme.

I'm on windows 10 so if there are any differences in this approach on the mac version, hopefully someone else will jump in to clarify.
NYlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #189
Dewdman42

hmm all the fonts listed in there were already pretty big. I tried doubling them up, to extremely big, like 48 points... saved the theme and tried to load that theme, saw no visible changes in the UI, all the fonts are still tiny
Old 02-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #190
DrKev

Some font sizes that we see are defined by their element's line height and not a by a font size call so I'm not sure that approach would work well anyway.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #191
sivert_h

Holy wow! Been annoyed by Reapers blurry text for a year until just now!
Theme and text looking crispy clear (is that an expression? ^_^) on Macbook Pro Retina!

Will follow this thread closely.
sivert_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #192
kirk1701

Forgive me, but what's the latest version of this? I've recently moved to a 32" FullHD TV/monitor and I often have to squint or lean in to make out certain things.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #193
MaXyM

You have FullHD resolution. This theme is not usable for you. Better use default theme, or some other which provides smaller elements (but are still for standard resolution)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #194
PhelixK

Hi, 2x is looking great!

Can someone tell, where is this Toolbar frame defined in Default 5.0 hidpi theme?
I tried looking into the rtconfig but no luck. It seems it needs scaling.

https://snag.gy/TEUZqG.jpg

Last edited by PhelixK; 04-30-2019 at 03:25 AM. Reason: linked image size
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #195
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
You have FullHD resolution. This theme is not usable for you. Better use default theme, or some other which provides smaller elements (but are still for standard resolution)
Crap. The hunt continues.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #196
+NRG

Just noticed this... Default HiDPI theme. I believe that the MCP Send text margin & automation / envelope colored indicator alignment were messed up by pre-release v5.974+dev0414. Windows 10... Also added this message to the v5.974+dev0414 pre-release thread...

v5.974

v5.974+dev0414
Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #197
Justin
Administrator

Thanks, fixing that!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #198
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks, fixing that!
Thank you! B)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #199
MT_

Default Replace big image with a link to prevent scrollbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, 2x is looking great!

Can someone tell, where is this Toolbar frame defined in Default 5.0 hidpi theme?
I tried looking into the rtconfig but no luck. It seems it needs scaling
It would probably make sense for you to replace the big screenshot image with a link to the image to prevent a horizontal scrollbar that makes the entire forum page unusable. Editing comments is possible here. Best regards.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:28 AM   #200
PhelixK

Quote:
It would probably make sense for you to replace the big screenshot image with a link to the image to prevent a horizontal scrollbar that makes the entire forum page unusable. Editing comments is possible here. Best regards.
oh sorry, I did not notice! It was a linked image, perhaps forum code needs a definition for this kind. Anyway now tagged as url instead.

Apparently forum page width depends on browser (no horizontal scrolling here on Firefox, but I see it affects iOS/Safari and probably other browsers).
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote