Old 11-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
Chester Desmond
Human being with feelings

Default Midi learn/channel questions

Hi. I'm hoping to get an understanding of how Reaper handles midi channels with learned controls.
Whenever I learn a knob on a vst it is always tied to the midi channel it was learned on. I want to find a way to use any midi channel or easily change all the mapped controls to a new channel.
For an example I mapped all of the knobs on a synth vst on ch. 1; I'd like to use a second instance in a project and switch control by changing the midi channel on my controller.
There seems to be no way to accomplish this short of relearning all the controls on different channels. It seems this is on a level that is not accessible (reaper control track I think it is?). The "only active when track is selected" option is another possible solution but not really my workflow.
Any ideas would appreciated
Chester Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
themixtape

MIDI can be a gigantic headache, in this way... don't know if this helps but I've found say, setting the track's MIDI input to "Midi Channel 1" (not ALL), but then inside the menu, you can "Map Input To Channel: (something different)... if you set up a set of folder tracks that are on different MIDI channels, all the knobs from your midi controller will control a different plugin, even though the MIDI channel that the knobs are on hasn't changed. Only the Reaper track.... I use stuff in this way sometimes. It's still confusing, but helpful to me. Hope it helps for you!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #3
airon

Another method is to
  • control the synth only when the GUI is showing and selected
  • control the synth only when the track it is on is selected

Those are options you find the midi-learn dialog box.

You can also save such midi(or osc) learn setups as the default for that particular plugin. That way, it will automatically be setup that way when you instantiate the plugin on a track.

To do that, at the top of the plugin window, check the Param button. It opens a submenu where you'll find "Default controller mappings". Have at least one controll resource set up or that menu remains greyed out.

Also a useful for you in particular are the following actions from the SWS Extension :
  • SWS/S&M: Reassign MIDI learned channels of all FX for selected tracks (prompt)
  • SWS/S&M: Reassign MIDI learned channels of all FX to input channel for selected tracks
  • SWS/S&M: Reassign MIDI learned channels of selected FX for selected tracks (prompt)

MPL has written some good scripts to check your learn assignments for a particular track or plugin. You should grab the Reapack extension. It downloads and updates scripts and extensions. Included by default is the repository of MPL. These scripts are very useful for trouble-shooting midi/osc-learn issues or just getting a good overview

After installing and syncing Reapack(Extensions menu in Reaper / Reapack / Synchronize packages) do a search in the action list for mpl list midi .

Last edited by airon; 11-21-2019 at 06:24 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote