Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default Increase/decrease Peak Gain on single items

I see this has been already requested in...2007!!?

This would be so useful. I know some have said they find no need for it and that's ok. It could still remain the standard way of increasing gain but to just have the option through a modifier for ex, to apply gain to only 1 item would be hugely useful in lots of situations.

This is just one recent example. 2 tracks, top one is a mixed backing track, bottom one is a 2 take guitar solo.

They are mixed properly volume-wise so I don't want to raise the gain or normalise at all. Just would like to see better the guitar takes to be able to comp a solo.

See what happens to the 1st track in the 2nd photo when I raise the peak gain to an acceptable level for the guitar track!? That's not a blank media item, it's a wall of sound with all the peaks maxed out!?

Of course, there's a solution for this particular track (normalise and lower the gain) but I'm talking in general. So this might not be the best example but just imagine a project with 10-15 tracks with varying peak levels, you wouldn't then have a quick easy fix, that's why peak gain on single items would be great! (can't imagine it would be that hard to implement either? But ok, I'm not dev).

chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
It could still remain the standard way of increasing gain but to just have the option through a modifier for ex, to apply gain to only 1 item would be hugely useful in lots of situations.
Real gain or display gain? Real gain can be set for items and takes, display gain AFAIK indeed only globally.

Setting display gain for item/takes could indeed come handy.

How about a "normalized display gain" feature? Instead of fiddling with the gain on individual items a normalized display gain would increase the display gain to 0dB on a per item level.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
chumbo

I meant in fact display gain or Peak Gain as it's called in Reaper. So how it looks, not how loud it actually sounds.

What you suggest would also be a nice addition as well
Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
heda

@Chumbo, it would be confusing. It's not probably going to happen. Display gain is good if it is global.
To adjust individual item, use normal gain on the item or prefx gain envelope.
Then adjust postfx gain on the track as needed.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
chumbo

As said, it wouldn't have to replace what's existing currently, just an added option for those who'd have a use for it...like me and I guess others as well.
I mean, it does exist in others DAWs, and as far as I know, nobody has asked for it to be removed because it was such a horrendous idea.

So you could go on happily using it as you see fit without every being bothered or even aware the option to apply gain to single item even existed, i.e. as it is now, and I could invoke an action to use it since I find it useful. Isn't that the whole philosophy of Reaper? That it's meant to be infinitely customisable so everyone can work as they see fit? Make Reaper your own?

There are workarounds as you pointed out but it's a far cry from just pressing Shift+Up arrow as it is now for global gain. So my FR is just an additional action I could invoke e.g. Ctrl+Up arrow and have the Peak Gain applied only to the selected item.
I'd be happy, and you too as it wouldn't affect you one bit. Don't like, don't use it
Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
heda

yes, I know.. I was only trying to convince you that you don't need it, so you can be happier since this feature has been requested (several times I think) before and not implemented.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
karbomusic

Off topic slightly but I've never found good use case for waveforms sizes being inconsistent all over the place, I know what they mean when I see them because I'm not changing them. They can be quite informative when not randomly sized globally or locally YMMV. I don't even change them globally because I want the visible gain to be the real gain. If I have a track that was recorded too hot or too low, I immediately know just by looking at it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
chumbo

Nice try Heda! Well it least it's nice to know I'm not alone and others feel the same way...maybe someday.

@karbomusic, I know what you mean but the way I would use it would never been permanent. I would raise the peak view on the single track until the job is done and then restore it to it's original size. I agree, one should be able to see what the real level is on tracks.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Bri1
Banned

This already exists in the media explorer as well for individual media atmo- ctrl+mousewheel I think.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
Masi

Quote:
I meant in fact display gain or Peak Gain as it's called in Reaper.
At least in the "peak display settings" it's called "display gain"

Masi
Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Display gain is good if it is global.
For you. Why do you generalize?

Hmm, if you gain stage your audio clips to the same level than indeed you need only a global level. But if you didn't then an individal settings makes sense.

Masi
Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
ashcat_lt

I would really like to see this feature implemented. There are any number of reasons why normalizing all of your items might not be the ideal solution. Individual peak gain as an option would be really nice.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
Buy One

bump before another couple of years
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
chumbo

I'm with you on that.
I have a host of threads I naively re-bump in hope...
Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Buy One

With the manpower Cockos has due to Justin's principles this is what the users are reduced to

but otherwise the price might have been steeper
Old 02-16-2020, 03:36 AM   #16
bodfum

cfillions script Normalize peaks display gain (scan selected items) does this.
bodfum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #17
Buy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodfum View Post
thank you for the tip
Old 02-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #18
chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodfum View Post
Strange, I can't find it in my Actions list, yet I can see it when I browse the Reapack packages?

Hmmm, I guess I'll take my problem to the Reapack thread then...

Really curious to try it though! It would be awesome if it really behaves as wished here in this thread!
Old 02-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
chumbo

Well...I posted on the Reapack thread, was able to run the script but...it didn't work at all as expected!
ALL items had their peak gain increased and I wasn't able to undo the action either. So I had to shutdown Reaper without saving to bring it back to 'normal' (fortunately, no other edits needed saving).

The quest continues...

PS in case you ask, I did run the correct script. I noticed the different variants but selected the one to run on only the selected item.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:29 AM   #20
ramses

There's an option to square root the peak scale. Works great most of the time, if you work with tracks that's been recorded at different loudness, so that its hard to find a decent peak setting for all of them. try it out.

view -> peaks display settings -> tick "sqrt scale"
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 AM   #21
chumbo

Thanks for the suggestion Ramses but that still doesn't do it.
It raises the peak gain on ALL items. Not what the subject of the thread states as the solution being looked for.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #22
ramses

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Ramses but that still doesn't do it.
It raises the peak gain on ALL items. Not what the subject of the thread states as the solution being looked for.
Yeah, it's not perfect. But it's alot better than the second picture you posted above. However, I agree, it would be nice to have normalize peaks independently on a track by track basis available.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote