Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #441
sbungay
Human being with feelings

Default Cpu usage after hang...

Yes, but the task is unresponsive,almost like it has entered a race condition. Clicking on the close gadget in the upper right results in "Reaper is not responding", only way to close is to get the PID and kill it. I've been using Linux for 20 years now, never seen this kind of behaviour before... but then there's a first time for everything.
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #442
clepsydrae

I feel like I've seen that exact behavior with window issues, but I might be making it up (a little cursory testing right now did not show that behavior.) What's your distro/DE?
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #443
raovlf

Hello everyone, hope everything's fine.

I do have a strange behavior wen I edit loops in Reaper, for instance, wen I go to the media explorer and import a loop to my project with "Tempo match on" selected everything goes as supposed, but sometimes, after editing, slicing and copy/paste for a while the playback rate of some of the clips start to change randomly or to 0.000001, by then, this starts to happen in all clips that I try to change/move/copy and so on. If I open the same project in Reaper through wine everything works as expected. Does this happens to someone else?

Thanks in advance.
raovlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #444
JamesPeters

Are those uncompressed WAV files, or some kind of compressed media? If it's compressed, the item length isn't always as "readable" as an uncompressed file.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #445
theeighth

Cool

Hello.
I have a problem with JS-plugins on Linux - they are not working. When I'm trying to use a JS-plugin, all it does is switching off the sound (not on track, but on plugin output), or even does nothing. Parameter controls are useless too because it usually works as a slider with two values - lowest and highest.

I'll explain on "Apple 12-pole filter", which is a JS-plugin and does exactly what I'm writing about.
When I add this filter on track's FX, it does nothing, because default parameters for this filter are all zero.
Now, when I try to move any "cutoff filter" it goes straight to the left, or straight to the right. 100% or 0% cutoff.
When I'm trying to set the slope, sound just goes off - no sound on output, but still a signal on the input.

I had the same problem a while ago, but with some reaper updates, it disappeared. Now, with reaper 607 it happened again. And yes, I've tried to degrade reaper to previous versions, and this is not working believe me.

So. What can I do to fix this?
theeighth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #446
JamesPeters

See this post. Perhaps the same setting needs to be changed again in your system.

I can't reproduce your issue on my system using the latest Reaper, Xubuntu, and that particular plugin.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 AM   #447
maethi

Default Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by maethi View Post
Hi everyone!

After getting fed up with bugs and limitations in Ardour I've wanted to switch to Reaper. But for the last few months that I kept downloading the latest version, as soon as I start Reaper, before I even open a project, the fan gets loud and within 3min the CPU temperature is at 100°C (212°F). Interestingly the CPU usage is fine, Reaper uses 2-3% and no other background process goes wild either. As soon as I close Reaper, everything goes back to normal within seconds.

I run Arch with the 5.4.15 Zen kernel and the performance CPU governor on a Lenovo X230, no Pulse Audio, only ALSA and Jack2.

I'd appreciate any help because this way I simply can't run Reaper. I'd rather not install Wine. Despite what everybody says it has never ever worked well for anything with me.

Best, Maethi
Hi everyone. In case someone runs into the same problem or if the devs want to look into it: After having given up on Reaper, I felt like trying one more time. Under Preferences > Audio > Device I found an active checkbox labeled "Disable power management if supported (requires permissions to /dev/cpu_dma_laten" (brackets as quoted). Deactivating this checkbox fixed my problem and I'm extremely happy now.

Best, Maethi
maethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #448
clepsydrae

Ah, makes sense, thanks for following up.

Usually you want to disable CPU power management when you are tuning a computer for audio. The reason is that if the CPU switches frequencies while processing real time audio, it can lead to drop-outs. (This option is unchecked by default.) So reaper has the option to do it for you when you run reaper, in case you don't want to do it for your whole computer.

If your laptop is spinning the fans up from that option being checked, but with no usage of the CPU, it might be an indication that your fans are clogged with lint or something. Or maybe the laptop just isn't great at thermal management. Some quick research seems to indicate that the x230 often wants the thermal paste on the CPU to be re-done... so that might also be the issue.

At any rate, keep an eye out for dropouts... if you need to re-enable the option, you might be able to solve the issue with better cooling in the laptop.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #449
theeighth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
See this post. Perhaps the same setting needs to be changed again in your system.

I can't reproduce your issue on my system using the latest Reaper, Xubuntu, and that particular plugin.

Yep, that worked.
Thanks! =)

I had a Russian locale set to default in my Debian Stretch so what I did was that I've added "LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8" to /etc/default/locale file and then logged out and logged back into the system. Now it works.

But I think it's rather odd that I had reaper working fine without changing locale options before and faced that issue again after some time or after one of the updates.

Last edited by theeighth; 03-31-2020 at 09:51 AM.
theeighth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #450
deepdjdanny

Default please post.. linux reaper bugs... like... in... here...

control p has become super dodgy dodgy. kinda important as i often use the qwerty for keyboard shortcuts n stuff like that. like everyone with an operating system and qwerty keyboard. ...and... like configuration is pretty important. mofos.
it does becomes usable again after qwerty'ing in my shortcut to say show n hide the dock (alt d). then control p presto preferences. just not my preference and yours niether/neither. i don't know about you... but that bugs me. thanx i am dumb.

jack and carla suck bigtime too. but... hey... they are unrelated, aren't they!
...kinda grumpy.
xubuntu on a shit 2gigram acer piece/peice of celery dipped in poo.
pity akai force only got 2gigram too... fuck me.
and, headsup: i actually kill mac book pro's and dell's with i7's n 8 cores.
arms forget it.

excuse me... i gotta get back into hacking apart my midi controller.
btw... anyone get ctrlr to work in linux? and then has anyone got a roland a-500pro midi configuration editor panel for it?
cheers...

Last edited by deepdjdanny; 04-01-2020 at 01:19 AM.
deepdjdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:12 AM   #451
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdjdanny View Post
control p has become super dodgy dodgy. kinda important as i often use the qwerty for keyboard shortcuts n stuff like that. like everyone with an operating system and qwerty keyboard. ...and... like configuration is pretty important. mofos.
it does becomes usable again after qwerty'ing in my shortcut to say show n hide the dock (alt d). then control p presto preferences. just not my preference and yours niether/neither. thanx i am dumb.

jack and carla suck bigtime too. but... hey... they are unrelated, aren't they!
...kinda grumpy.
xubuntu on a shit 2gigram acer piece/peice of celery poo.
pity akai force only got 2gigram too...
and, headsup: i actually kill mac book pro's and dell's with i7's n 8 cores.
arms forget it.
1) I hit ctrl+P and it calls up preferences dialog without any problems. I use the latest Xubuntu with the latest kernel. However, I may have removed CTRL+P key mapping of Xubuntu (in the "keyboard" settings dialog), since I tend to remove some default key mappings of the OS to free them up for other apps. You might want to check that out. (Xubuntu Menu -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts.)

2) I have no idea what the rest of your post is about.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-01-2020 at 01:21 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #452
maethi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Ah, makes sense, thanks for following up.

Usually you want to disable CPU power management when you are tuning a computer for audio. The reason is that if the CPU switches frequencies while processing real time audio, it can lead to drop-outs. (This option is unchecked by default.) So reaper has the option to do it for you when you run reaper, in case you don't want to do it for your whole computer.

If your laptop is spinning the fans up from that option being checked, but with no usage of the CPU, it might be an indication that your fans are clogged with lint or something. Or maybe the laptop just isn't great at thermal management. Some quick research seems to indicate that the x230 often wants the thermal paste on the CPU to be re-done... so that might also be the issue.

At any rate, keep an eye out for dropouts... if you need to re-enable the option, you might be able to solve the issue with better cooling in the laptop.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It still doesn't make sense to me, even if there is a cooling issue - which is probably the case. I have optimized my system for low latency and the scaling governor is set to "performance", i.e. it always runs at the maximum frequency. So in my understanding, the Reaper option should be redundant. And it only occurs with Reaper and no other process except for obviously demanding tasks. Even if the project is completely empty.
maethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #453
JamesPeters

Default Reaper blocks the space bar after some Linux VST are opened and parameter is adjusted

It's explained here and the post below it.

The short version:

-Open a Linux VST (a list of problematic plugins I noticed is in that thread).
-Adjust a parameter.
-Without closing the fx window or clicking away (on the arrange view or somewhere else), hit spacebar. The play head won't respond.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #454
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by maethi View Post
I have optimized my system for low latency and the scaling governor is set to "performance", i.e. it always runs at the maximum frequency.
Oh, interesting. Have you verified that the frequency scaling is working as you expect? I.e. with a meter that tells you the current frequency?

Quote:
So in my understanding, the Reaper option should be redundant. And it only occurs with Reaper and no other process except for obviously demanding tasks.
Yeah if it's already really at max frequency all the time, then I'm at a loss.