Old 09-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #561
earlabs
Human being with feelings
 
earlabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,129
Default

Wow, haven't been in this thread for a looong time. I have tried touchOSC some six months ago using the iPad of a friend. Now I have my own and want to dive deeper, really ready to use it was a controller.

Currently I am using the LogicPad setup. Are there setups here that are specifically tailored to Reaper?
__________________
EARLabs Studio for Creative Mastering www.facebook.com/EARLabsStudio
WWW www.earlabs.org
earlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #562
earlabs
Human being with feelings
 
earlabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,129
Default

Have been diddling a bit myself. Mostly adapting the LogicPad to my own needs. I really dig the solo reset, but why isn't there a mute reset?

Second thingie... If I use the midi commands instead of the osc, do I need to use the midi bridge always? Sorry to a bit lazy here. I could check that for myself but perhaps someone could just give a simple no or yes?
__________________
EARLabs Studio for Creative Mastering www.facebook.com/EARLabsStudio
WWW www.earlabs.org
earlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #563
theconnyb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 33
Default

Is anyone else having problems with dodgy MIDI recording/playback in Reaper?

I am using a Korg X50 hardware synth and using the X50´s tone generator to playback the sounds, and every now and then Reaper decides to skip some notes or a chord perhaps. It is there, but it just skips it, it won't play. Also every now and then the notes seems to not stop. Let's say I have a bass line on a track, every note keeps hanging in the air so every new note added will turn it all into a big mess.

Organs and strings suffers from this constantly.
theconnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #564
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Guys, this thread is not for TouchOSC layouts nor dodgy MIDI issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We'll fix the FX parameter feedback problem for the next build. [...]
Fix confirmed for 4.27pre7b.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #565
earlabs
Human being with feelings
 
earlabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,129
Default

How can I implement a vu meter for each track? Or even have a led telling me that there is a signal coming from that track? I have made a screen that is dedicated to play in a live situation. So I will be playing with the laptop closed. But it's still good to see whether or not there is a signal on a track even if the fader's down. I can't get anything to respond (even with the fader up )

I used something like
TRACK_VU n/vu
in the ReaperOSC file

and

/vu1
as the OSC line in the Touchosc file

I tried both a slider and a led to get this to work.
__________________
EARLabs Studio for Creative Mastering www.facebook.com/EARLabsStudio
WWW www.earlabs.org
earlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #566
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
How can I implement a vu meter for each track? Or even have a led telling me that there is a signal coming from that track? I have made a screen that is dedicated to play in a live situation. So I will be playing with the laptop closed. But it's still good to see whether or not there is a signal on a track even if the fader's down. I can't get anything to respond (even with the fader up )

I used something like
TRACK_VU n/vu
in the ReaperOSC file

and

/vu1
as the OSC line in the Touchosc file

I tried both a slider and a led to get this to work.
VU meters work fine here (proof). You should make sure that the OSC client follows the same pattern as defined in the .ReaperOSC configuration. Obviously, you did not:
Code:
/vu
does not match:
Code:
/vu1
If you want to have VU meters for different tracks, you could use the second part of the line in the default config:
Code:
TRACK_VU n/track/vu n/track/@/vu
The corresponding messages for each track would then look like
Code:
/track/1/vu 0
/track/2/vu 0.101986
/track/3/vu 0.0647486
/track/4/vu 0.15343
From memory, I think TouchOSC would support these using patterns like
Code:
/track/1/vu
/track/2/vu
/track/3/vu
/track/4/vu
Note that a regular control like a fader will typically try to *send* these values to REAPER when you touch it, which is probably not what you want in this case: you typically only want to receive and display VU meter values. To make a VU meter using multiple LEDs takes a bit of custom logic to split the values in a series of adjacent ranges, and trigger a bunch of on/off states for a series of individual LEDs (I did so in Pure data, Max/MSP; iirc TouchOSC doesn't handle something that complicated very well if at all; Lemur is a better choice for custom scripting).

However, let me remind you again that this is *not* the thread for questions related to how to use TouchOSC, and arguably not even for questions related to learning about how to use REAPER's OSC features (although it's probably one of the best sources of information on the latter subject). Please start a separate thread for your questions, I'll be glad to help you solve them (even in Dutch, if you'd like).
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #567
earlabs
Human being with feelings
 
earlabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,129
Default

thanks Banned, I'll try that. And I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread. What do you suggest? Just a new topic in "MIDI and other music/audio protocols"?
__________________
EARLabs Studio for Creative Mastering www.facebook.com/EARLabsStudio
WWW www.earlabs.org
earlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #568
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

I noticed that the minimum value of a track's volume transmitted to OSC control surfaces is not 0.0, but 0.00316478. Even when I explicitly set it to 0.0 via OSC, it still comes back as 0.00316478.
Code:
/track/1/volume/db -150
/track/1/volume/str -inf dB
/track/1/volume 0.00316478
What's up here? Is this merely a harmless display rounding issue, or a bug? Is it perhaps related to the ganged fader issue for which fixes were added in 4.27pre4/5a? (Fwiw, the issue is also apparent in earlier versions.)
Quote:
v4.27pre5a - September 3 2012
# Ganged volume faders: yet another bugfix fixing broken in pre4 behavior
[...]

v4.27pre4 - August 29 2012
# Ganged volume faders: improved display at certain extremes [...]
When I set a track volume to 0 using OSC, I can still drag the fader on the MCP down one pixel. This seems wrong.

Also, when a selected track has its volume fader fully down, and other tracks (with the volume fader not fully down) are subsequently added to the track selection, dragging the volume fader down on one of them makes the fader on the first track jump up by one pixel. This also seems wrong.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ

Last edited by Banned; 09-14-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #569
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
thanks Banned, I'll try that. And I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread. What do you suggest? Just a new topic in "MIDI and other music/audio protocols"?
That would be fine. Most TouchOSC related threads seem to live there, too.

Alternatively, you could push for a Dutch sub-forum.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #570
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default [bug] REAPER sends string for *previous* fxparam value when receiving new one

The following bug (reported by Banned on 05-12-2012) still seems to be present in 4.27pre11a. Please see the original bug report by Banned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
There seems to be a bug in the message patterns for plugin (instrument) parameter values: when sending feedback on receiving an update from the control surface, the string representing the 'scaled' value sends the string for the *previous* value instead of the current one.

See this example (project with only 1 track, 1 plugin in first slot: ReaDelay; default OSC config):

Code:
OSC to REAPER: /fxparam/4/value 0
OSC from REAPER: /fxparam/4/value/str 10000.0
OSC from REAPER: /track/1/fx/1/fxparam/4/value 0

OSC to REAPER: /fxparam/4/value 1
OSC from REAPER: /fxparam/4/value/str 0.0
OSC from REAPER: /track/1/fx/1/fxparam/4/value 1

OSC to REAPER: /fxparam/4/value 0
OSC from REAPER: /fxparam/4/value/str 10000.0
OSC from REAPER: /track/1/fx/1/fxparam/4/value 0

OSC to REAPER: /fxparam/4/value 0.25
OSC from REAPER: /fxparam/4/value/str 0.0
OSC from REAPER: /track/1/fx/1/fxparam/4/value 0.25

OSC to REAPER: /fxparam/4/value 0
OSC from REAPER: /fxparam/4/value/str 2500.0
OSC from REAPER: /track/1/fx/1/fxparam/4/value 0

Last edited by jnobody; 09-24-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding of bugfix report by Banned.
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #571
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
[...] Banned reported that it was fixed in 4.27pre7b [...]
That was a (perhaps related but) different issue: feedback was missing for non-selected tracks within the selected bank.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #572
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
That was a (perhaps related but) different issue: feedback was missing for non-selected tracks within the selected bank.
I am sorry! I edited my post above and deleted the section saying that you reported that bug was fixed.

However I still find it important to remind the devs of this bug, as it is impossible at the moment to get correct parameter feedback via OSC and your bug report was 4 months ago.
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #573
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

No problem. The issue deserved a little bump of its own.

And btw, welcome on the forum.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #574
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default [bug] Reaper sending parameter values from 0 to 1.5 instead of 0 to 1 via OSC

I was trying to build a simple MIDI to OSC Bridge using Max6 to control the currently focused plugin with my MIDI controller box.
The only change I made to "Default.ReaperOSC" was to change the line
DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS DEVICE
to
DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED
to have Reaper always send the parameter values of the plugin that has the focus.

For parameter values that are near maximum (close to 1) or at maximum (1), Reaper sends values that are above 1. My understanding is that plugin parameters should always be in the range of 0 to 1 and this is the way Reaper accepts parameter changes via OSC.

For example, when focusing ReaComp (default preset) I get these messages via OSC for parameter 7 (Lowpass) which is at maximum in the default preset:
Code:
/fxparam/7/name Lowpass
/fxparam/7/value/str 20000
/fxparam/7/value 1.5
Sending values from 0 to 1 to Reaper is handled correctly, so when I send /fxparam/7/value 1.0 Lowpass is at it's maximum (20000 Hz). But when I change the focus to another plugin and then come back to ReaComp I get the above value of 1.5 from Reaper.

This is true for Reaper-internal, VST, AU and JS plugins. I tried using Reaper 4.26 and 4.27pre11a (Mac OS 10.7.4).

NOTE: My goal was to change the parameters of plugins with my MIDI comtroller sending relative (increment/decrement) values so I need to store the values I get from Reaper when plugin focus is changed, increment/decrement a value when increment/decrement messages are received from one of the knobs of my controller and send the new value back to reaper. That's when I encountered this bug.

Last edited by jnobody; 09-26-2012 at 10:50 PM.
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #575
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default [bug] Parameter values not send via OSC when inserting first plugin in fx chain

During my experiments (DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED, please see the above post) I also noticed that Reaper does not send the parameter values of a plugin right after the plugin is inserted when the plugin list (fx chain) was empty before.

For example, when I add ReaComp to the fx chain as the first and only plugin, Reaper just send these messages:
Code:
/fx/name ReaComp (Cockos)
/fx/number/str 1
/fx/bypass 1.
/fx/1/name ReaComp (Cockos)
/fx/1/number/str 1
/fx/1/bypass 1.
/track/1/fx/1/name ReaComp (Cockos)
/track/1/fx/1/number/str 1
/track/1/fx/1/bypass 1.
/fx/1/openui 1.
/track/1/fx/1/openui 1.
When another instance of ReaComp is added right after that, Reaper also sends
Code:
/fxparam/1/name Thresh
/fxparam/1/value/str +0.0
/fxparam/1/value 0.5
/fxparam/2/name Ratio
/fxparam/2/value/str 1.0
/fxparam/2/value 0.
...
So I think it is expected behaviour to have Reaper send parameter values for the first plugin, too. Otherwise there does not seem to be a way to get the values of a plugin in the fx chain on focus change after adding it as the first plugin.
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #576
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
During my experiments (DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED, please see the above post) I also noticed that Reaper does not send the parameter values of a plugin right after the plugin is inserted when the plugin list (fx chain) was empty before. [...]
I can not confirm this. When I launch REAPER using the Default.ReaperOSC configuration (and send send it a message to make it follow the focused effect), add a new (empty) track, insert ReaComp in effect slot 1, I get values for all of its first 16 parameters:

Quote:
/device/fxparam/bank/select
/fxparam/1/name Thresh
/fxparam/1/value/str +0.0
/fxparam/1/value 0.5
/fxparam/2/name Ratio
/fxparam/2/value/str 1.0
/fxparam/2/value 0

[…]

/fxparam/16/name AutoMkUp
/fxparam/16/value/str 0
/fxparam/16/value 0
Perhaps what is confusing you, is that when you use multiple instances of the same plugin, REAPER (by design) may not send values if they do not differ from their previous values (to minimise redundant data floods).

What *is* a bug, arguably, is that REAPER does not clear out the parameter names and values when you remove the plugin, even if it has focus. For example, if you add and then remove a single instance of ReaComp, and then insert one again, REAPER does not send out parameter values when removing it, nor on re-inserting the (same) effect.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #577
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
[…] For parameter values that are near maximum (close to 1) or at maximum (1), Reaper sends values that are above 1. My understanding is that plugin parameters should always be in the range of 0 to 1 and this is the way Reaper accepts parameter changes via OSC.

For example, when focusing ReaComp (default preset) I get these messages via OSC for parameter 7 (Lowpass) which is at maximum in the default preset:
Code:
/fxparam/7/name Lowpass
/fxparam/7/value/str 20000
/fxparam/7/value 1.5
Sending values from 0 to 1 to Reaper is handled correctly, so when I send /fxparam/7/value 1.0 Lowpass is at it's maximum (20000 Hz). But when I change the focus to another plugin and then come back to ReaComp I get the above value of 1.5 from Reaper.

This is true for Reaper-internal, VST, AU and JS plugins. […]
I can confirm this bug. It's happening everywhere with the DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED setting.

Fwiw, you should really do your own value checking (and perhaps type checking as well) in Max, to make sure you are not sending values that are out of range.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #578
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I can not confirm this. When I launch REAPER using the Default.ReaperOSC configuration (and send send it a message to make it follow the focused effect), add a new (empty) track, insert ReaComp in effect slot 1, I get values for all of its first 16 parameters
Banned, thank you for trying and pointing this out! What you say is true for the FIRST plugin added to the fx chain on a newly created track. Reaper indeed sends all the /fxparam/ messages it should.
But here is where the bug comes into play: When I remove that plugin (so that the fx chain is empty again) and add another one (maybe I had ReaComp as the first plugin, removed it and then add ReaEq as the only plugin in that fx chain) /fxparam/ messages are not send for this instance of ReaEq. I keep adding and removing plugins, but whenever the fx chain is empty and I add a new plugin, the messages are not send. Maybe you could you be so kind to try this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Perhaps what is confusing you, is that when you use multiple instances of the same plugin, REAPER (by design) may not send values if they do not differ from their previous values (to minimise redundant data floods).
Thanks for your suggestion. But as I said above, this does also happen when I try it with different plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
What *is* a bug, arguably, is that REAPER does not clear out the parameter names and values when you remove the plugin, even if it has focus. For example, if you add and then remove a single instance of ReaComp, and then insert one again, REAPER does not send out parameter values when removing it, nor on re-inserting the (same) effect.
This does indeed sound like another bug to me.

Please try the method I described (New track, add plugin, remove it, add another plugin, check what messages are sent by Reaper) and report back.

Btw, it doesn't seem to matter whether I have "DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED" in my ReaperOSC file or if I have "DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS DEVICE" and send Reaper the "/device/fx/follows/focused" message.

Thanks again!
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #579
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
Banned, thank you for trying and pointing this out! What you say is true for the FIRST plugin added to the fx chain on a newly created track. Reaper indeed sends all the /fxparam/ messages it should.
But here is where the bug comes into play: When I remove that plugin (so that the fx chain is empty again) and add another one (maybe I had ReaComp as the first plugin, removed it and then add ReaEq as the only plugin in that fx chain) /fxparam/ messages are not send for this instance of ReaEq. I keep adding and removing plugins, but whenever the fx chain is empty and I add a new plugin, the messages are not send. Maybe you could you be so kind to try this? […]
Yes, following that description, I can reproduce the issue as well. So we now have an accurate enough description of the bug, I guess. Now let's hope it's one that is easy to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
[…] Btw, it doesn't seem to matter whether I have "DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS FOCUSED" in my ReaperOSC file or if I have "DEVICE_FX_FOLLOWS DEVICE" and send Reaper the "/device/fx/follows/focused" message. […]
Correct, and it shouldn't make a difference - those are two methods to get to the same result. I was just being explicit about what exactly I did to try and reproduce (and was too lazy to edit the default config, rename, etc. ).
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #580
flipotto
Human being with feelings
 
flipotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 555
Default Layouts?

Not to derail thread, is there a topic with user created layouts for TouchOsc and reaper?
I could not locate them... if yes.
__________________
KeyMce/GenMce - pc keyboard/midi to Mackie control emulation (built with ahk). Also - an ahk script to build your own midi programs.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #581
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

This thread seems to be the most relevant for that question. There are some other ones, try searching the forum for "TouchOSC".
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #582
mim
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 347
Default

It is very important to enable the touch messages for FX parameters. This way, the OSC control could be used seriously outside the live world...

To serve its purpose of bridge with the most flexibility (and thus usability), this should works with explicit touch on/off message.

Maybe a preference in the Reaper OSC file would allow the user to toggle explicit message / timeout method . (with the default to timeout ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Regarding the OSC touch messages, we did give this some thought. The simplest implementation adds a new message for enabling/disabling touch for each parameter, as we have done. A more complex implementation could use a sort of meta-message, such as

PARAMETER_TOUCH_ON s/touch/on
PARAMETER_TOUCH_OFF s/touch/off

and the device would send volume automation like this (using the default pattern mappings):

/touch/on /track/volume
/track/volume 0.50
/track/volume 0.51
/track/volume 0.52
/touch/off /track/volume

However, this could be impossible to implement in some host devices, whereas the simple version can always be implemented.

Last edited by mim; 11-19-2012 at 05:13 PM.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #583
hendrikvanb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Question OSC feedback on actions (window display toggling)

It would be great if Reaper could send OSC messages when executing shortcut actions. I have been trying, for example, to get Reaper to send an OSC message containing the action number corresponding to toggling the display of the FX browser, but to no avail. When monitoring Reaper's OSC output, it appears as though no message is created either when using the keyboard shortcut, or when using a toggle button in Reapers toolbar to toggle the FX window. I have already tried to include the following command in my config file:

TOGGLE_FX_BROWSER t/action/ 40271

where the message sent via OSC from my controller is /action [f] 40271. However, Reaper still does not send any OSC message when toggling the FX Browser window.
hendrikvanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #584
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrikvanb View Post
It would be great if Reaper could send OSC messages when executing shortcut actions. I have been trying, for example, to get Reaper to send an OSC message containing the action number corresponding to toggling the display of the FX browser, but to no avail. When monitoring Reaper's OSC output, it appears as though no message is created either when using the keyboard shortcut, or when using a toggle button in Reapers toolbar to toggle the FX window. I have already tried to include the following command in my config file:

TOGGLE_FX_BROWSER t/action/ 40271

where the message sent via OSC from my controller is /action [f] 40271. However, Reaper still does not send any OSC message when toggling the FX Browser window.
Hi Hendrik, welcome on this forum!

Afaik, the OSC pattern for actions currently only works in one direction, when REAPER receives the appropriate message, the action is executed. But there (currently) is no feedback, i.e. REAPER sending messages out via OSC, whenever an action is executed.

Also, the line you added would not work, because "TOGGLE_FX_BROWSER" is not a valid OSC 'action description' (note that "action" may be a confusing term, since it has a different meaning here, hence I call it "OSC action description"). The valid 'OSC action description' for setting up a pattern for 'REAPER actions' in the OSC configuration file is simply "ACTION", and can not be customised afaik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Default.ReaperOSC
# Each line below is an action description in all caps, followed by a number of OSC
# message patterns. You can add, remove, or change patterns, delete lines, or comment
# out lines by adding '#', but do not change the action descriptions.

# The patterns following the action are the messages that REAPER will send and receive
# to and from the OSC device. An action can have no patterns (and will be ignored),
# one pattern, or many patterns.

[…]

# i: integer. These messages include an integer argument, and are sent from the
# device to REAPER.

# Example: ACTION i/action t/action/@
# The device sends /action 40757 or /action/40757 to trigger the REAPER action
# "split items at edit cursor". See the REAPER actions window for a complete list
# of action command ID numbers.
(underscores added by me)

Admittedly, the "messages that REAPER will send and receive" phrase can be a bit misleading, and should arguably be changed to "and/or". Some 'OSC action descriptions' work both ways, some don't.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #585
hendrikvanb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Smile Action send messages and OSC explanations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Hi Hendrik, welcome on this forum!

Afaik, the OSC pattern for actions currently only works in one direction, when REAPER receives the appropriate message, the action is executed. But there (currently) is no feedback, i.e. REAPER sending messages out via OSC, whenever an action is executed.

Also, the line you added would not work, because "TOGGLE_FX_BROWSER" is not a valid OSC 'action description' (note that "action" may be a confusing term, since it has a different meaning here, hence I call it "OSC action description"). The valid 'OSC action description' for setting up a pattern for 'REAPER actions' in the OSC configuration file is simply "ACTION", and can not be customised afaik.


(underscores added by me)

Admittedly, the "messages that REAPER will send and receive" phrase can be a bit misleading, and should arguably be changed to "and/or". Some 'OSC action descriptions' work both ways, some don't.
Thank you so much for the speedy and informative response Banned! It has gone a great deal towards improving my understanding of how Reaper implements OSC.

[FR] Being able to recieve OSC messages sent from Reaper on the execution of actions is still something I would love to see in the future. In the meantime, I continue to be amazed by all the things Reaper can already do, particularly now that OSC has been added to its formidable repertoire.

Trying to configure OSC communication with Reaper is simultaneously an extremely frustrating and extremely rewarding experience for a noob like me and I must admit that while I enter a state of deliriousness when something I try with OSC in Reaper works, I seldom fully understand why it works. More often than not, it feels like a fluke and something that I would rather not tamper with out of fear that it will stop working again! Hopefully my understanding will improve as I continue to grapple with things, but I do think the explanations in the default Defeault.ReaperOSC file could be less densely written. Again, thank you for clarifying this issue for me. It is duly appreciated!
hendrikvanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #586
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default OSC Bugs?!?

I wonder if this thread is still the right place to report OSC bugs as I don't see any fixing of the bugs reported here in recent Reaper versions (one particular bug was reported by Banned in May). Maybe it is time to file OSC bug reports in the regular issue tracker so that they receive some attention?

Jens
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #587
Gertius
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Default OSC Bug report

Hi,
I´d like to report a bug in Reapers OSC handling from 4.25 upwards.
I built a OSC-Midi bridge in pd and everything works fine in 4.22.
Then from 4.25 upwards, Reaper sends the wrong parameter values over OSC for FX_PARAM_VALUE when I switch between tracks (I check them at the very input of PD, no processing inbetween). It even happens that it sends values larger than 1, even though I´m using normalized "n" data types in my ReaperOSC file.
Then, when I just click on the knob in the GUI (not moving it), Reaper sends the correct value for that knob again.
The weird thing is, it even works fine in the later versions if the value is < 0.5. If it´s bigger than that, Reaper seems to add some offset on top, which can then become bigger than 1 altogether.

Have mainly tried it with the Waves SSL bundle, AU+VST. Only one plugin instantiated per track.
And again, everything works flawlessly with 4.22.

Please look into this, ths OSC implementation is such a KILLER feature of Reaper!!

Cheers,
Christian
Gertius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #588
jnobody
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertius View Post
Hi,
I´d like to report a bug in Reapers OSC handling from 4.25 upwards.
I built a OSC-Midi bridge in pd and everything works fine in 4.22.
Then from 4.25 upwards, Reaper sends the wrong parameter values over OSC for FX_PARAM_VALUE when I switch between tracks (I check them at the very input of PD, no processing inbetween). It even happens that it sends values larger than 1, even though I´m using normalized "n" data types in my ReaperOSC file.
Then, when I just click on the knob in the GUI (not moving it), Reaper sends the correct value for that knob again.
The weird thing is, it even works fine in the later versions if the value is < 0.5. If it´s bigger than that, Reaper seems to add some offset on top, which can then become bigger than 1 altogether.

Have mainly tried it with the Waves SSL bundle, AU+VST. Only one plugin instantiated per track.
And again, everything works flawlessly with 4.22.

Please look into this, ths OSC implementation is such a KILLER feature of Reaper!!

Cheers,
Christian
Hi Christian,
this seems closely related to the bug I reported in this thread a while ago (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=574).

Regards,
Jens
jnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #589
Sigilus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,763
Default

FR: Separate actions for external time code sync on/off - not toggle! I need to know for sure I can set to on or set to off regardless of current state.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #590
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigilus View Post
FR: Separate actions for external time code sync on/off - not toggle! I need to know for sure I can set to on or set to off regardless of current state.
Since we already have the generic "ACTION" action description, I don't see what that FR has to do with OSC specifically. We would not want to have a special OSC action description for this without having a regular action, do we?
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #591
Gertius
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
Hi Christian,
this seems closely related to the bug I reported in this thread a while ago (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=574).

Regards,
Jens
Ah, sorry I did not see this beforehand.
Take it as an additional vote from my side then, to get it fixed

Cheers,
Chris
Gertius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #592
turban2k
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 28
Default

As suggested in (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...89#post1096789), Reaper does not seem to send TEMPO messages unless the tempo is explicitly changed by the user. Playing a track with multiple tempo markers does not result in any TEMPO messages being sent to the OSC device.

Thanks.
turban2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #593
Xane002
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turban2k View Post
As suggested in (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...89#post1096789), Reaper does not seem to send TEMPO messages unless the tempo is explicitly changed by the user. Playing a track with multiple tempo markers does not result in any TEMPO messages being sent to the OSC device.

Thanks.
+1

The only tempo data I get via OSC is when the project is opened...it makes me wonder if the tempo data is coming from the arrange window/tempo envelope, or the field in File->Project Settings->Project BPM (OSX here - may be different in Windows).

Let me add - "explicit" in my experience mean changing the BPM in the transport bar, and reloading the project.

Any events in the tempo envelope are not reflected in the OSC message BPM. This is the tempo data I would like to see output via the BPM message.
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #594
Xane002
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
Default FR: Region/Marker Name via OSC

It would sure be nice to have the current/last marker or region name as an OSC message.

I'm setting Reaper up for live use with multiple songs in one project. While I as the operator can see the current song that's playing via the laptop screen, the other performers in the band cannot....they use OSC to control their in-ear audio feeds. I would like to send to their devices the current song name as well.

Thank You!

So far, Reaper is surpassing my expectations - this would be simple a cherry on top!
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #595
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings
 
chip mcdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NA - North Augusta South Carolina
Posts: 3,952
Default

Has anyone pursued the "ultra cheap Android touch pad for OSC use" angle? As in, anything out there around $50-70 that works?
__________________
]]]>-guitar lessons - www.chipmcdonald.com-<[[[
Experiencing Guitar: Essays from Teaching by Chip McDonald https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521877823..._QZJxAbA4GVDC1
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #596
dusanmsk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnobody View Post
...
/fxparam/7/value 1.5

Sending values from 0 to 1 to Reaper is handled correctly, so when I send /fxparam/7/value 1.0 Lowpass is at it's maximum (20000 Hz). But when I change the focus to another plugin and then come back to ReaComp I get the above value of 1.5 from Reaper.
I confirm on 4.32. Please fix it asap. Thx.

(s = I am sending to reaper, r = reaper response )

s: /device/fx/select/2
r: /fxparam/1/value/str : 0.0
r: /fxparam/1/value : 0.0

s: /fxparam/1/value 0.5f
r: /track/1/fx/2/fxparam/1/value : 0.5

s: /device/fx/select/1
... ignoring ...
s: /device/fx/select/2
r: /fxparam/1/value/str : 50.0
r: /fxparam/1/value : 0.5

s: /fxparam/1/value 0.9f
r: /track/1/fx/2/fxparam/1/value : 0.9

s: /device/fx/select/1
... ignoring ...
s: /device/fx/select/2
r: /fxparam/1/value/str : 90.0
r: /fxparam/1/value : 1.3

Last edited by dusanmsk; 01-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.
dusanmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #597
mim
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 347
Default

A little bump for osc touch mode...
We have a wonderfull mixing desk here, but we need OSC touch messages for each parameter to be in mixing nirvana, please !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
It is very important to enable the touch messages for FX parameters. This way, the OSC control could be used seriously outside the live world...

To serve its purpose of bridge with the most flexibility (and thus usability), this should works with explicit touch on/off message.

Maybe a preference in the Reaper OSC file would allow the user to toggle explicit message / timeout method . (with the default to timeout ).
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #598
Billoon
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arse end of the earth.
Posts: 2,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
[FR] Can we please have the ability to trigger non-native actions using their unique command ID strings? As also discussed here (also see posts # 10 and #11 in the same thread), this would make sense, since action IDs are not reliable for non-native actions, and workarounds such as using toolbar buttons containing such actions have their own issues, and should not be needed in the first place.
Was this done?
__________________
Fortune favours the prepared...
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #599
Breeder
Human being with feelings
 
Breeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Croatia
Posts: 2,295
Default

Is it me or does reaper not deal with /z messages in TouchOSC?

I've set up TouchOSC to send touch messages but releasing volume fader in touch automation mode will not stop writing automation immediately. It takes around 3 seconds to stop writting it.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #600
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Is it me or does reaper not deal with /z messages in TouchOSC?

I've set up TouchOSC to send touch messages but releasing volume fader in touch automation mode will not stop writing automation immediately. It takes around 3 seconds to stop writting it.
Yes and no. Yes, sure REAPER can respond to /z OSC messages, wherever they come from, as long as you configure REAPER to listen to such messages. But, no, REAPER does not know out-of-the-box that it should listen to such messages or how to respond to them. That requires a proper configuration, matching the message patterns from sender (TouchOSC) to the receiver (REAPER). Simply sending the messages from TouchOSC is meaningless, unless you configure the desired response on REAPER's end as well.

Although REAPER does not support dedicated OSC messages to signal where touches begin / end touch for arbitrary individual parameters, for this specific case you seem to be in a bit of luck, since there are two notable exceptions for track volume and pan automation, where you can use TRACK_VOLUME_TOUCH and TRACK_PAN_TOUCH to configure touch-sensitive automation recording. So you should be able to get this working for your current purpose. However, it doesn't work (yet) for anything beyond those two specific parameters.

Fwiw, imho the scheme currently used for track volume and pan should best be seen as somewhat of a test case. This topic has been discussed before (as referred to above by mim as well), see e.g. here, here, and here.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.