Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
cemark
Human being with feelings

Default Time to fess up: How is your Black Friday going?

Please, tell us about your most ridiculous purchase this Black Friday week!

Or tell us about the best deal you made!

Do share!

I’ll go first:
Could not resist the Izotope holiday bundle – though I’m not really sure if it ever will see any use. Perhaps in the future.

I also bought a couple of channel strips: Lindell 80 37$ and Nomad Factory Studio Rack 29$. These I will actually use :-)

What else? Hmmm … (seems I have no shame): I picked up the VLA-2A, VLA-3A and the Magnetite dirt cheap from Black Rooster. Will use.
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Fergler

I did end up getting SWAM All-in with this years tax refund XD
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
vdubreeze

I went for the Black Rooster All bundle and then got a bee in my bonnet about getting a good clipper (better than the ones I have with not so hot visual feedback), settled on StandardClip and when I pulled the trigger pulled it on the bundle with the SIR3 convolution verb. That's it for the year.

I'm really liking the SIR3. Loads of functions, comes with excellent IRs, loads the ones I have without a hiccup and runs incredibly smoothly, low CPU. Excellent modulation options, true stereo and sounds great.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Mordi

I got the Orchestral Tools Berlin Brass library, which means I own all four main collections. It's a bit insane, considering I'm not really great at orchestral composition. Just really interested in it. 🤔
Old 11-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
I got the Orchestral Tools Berlin Brass library, which means I own all four main collections. It's a bit insane, considering I'm not really great at orchestral composition. Just really interested in it. 🤔
I have the same feeling about my 10 guitars, 3 amps and Reaper...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I have the same feeling about my 10 guitars, 3 amps and Reaper...
Ha, yeah - I own 7 guitars. Can play, but not really great either. 😅
Old 11-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
rafa1981

So far excellent deals TDR Molot GE 20€(as loyal user offer), Surreal Machines Dub Machines 20€ and SIR3 + StandardClip 36€.

Probably buying izotope breaktweaker and getting Drumazon as a gift for 10€ too.

Maybe VirtualCZ and Reason Lite Plugin as a gift for 12€ too.

Doubting on Synthmaster and Dune3, as I don't have time to properly demo.

Wanted to buy an AMD3900x but they went from 410€ to 440€ this week.
rafa1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
mplay

Bought Acustica Audio Gainstation Boost for €20. Didn't want to buy anything but couldn't resist.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Reason

Nothing on BF proper but on Wednesday I got a couple of Seagate IronWolf 6TB NAS drives for $130 each, which is about $30 lower than normal. I was looking to replace my 3TB barracudas so this was a planned expense. No regrets here.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
nait

I bought Air Synth Bundle with Loom, the Riser and another synth (I forget). I just grabbed Native Instruments Super 8, which I think is very up my alley. I already own Komplete 9. I can't drop the big bucks to fully upgrade, so I went with just that one Vsti, which seems like great value.

I'm probably going to also cave and grab MassiveX within the next 24 hrs. Lol just about to demo it. I love NIs stuff, so I'm sure that I will love MassiveX.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-28-2020 at 07:02 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #11
Bubble07

I got AB Compare and Elysia Alpha comp from Plugin Alliance - thinking maybe get the Black Box HG 2 today ... not really needed but it demos well.

I also took the 3 months for $3 sub on loopcloud just for the Bass Master plugin which is really nice. I was really impressed by loop cloud actually, surprisingly so. The drum and player VST work really well in Reaper and the drum player might become my go to quick drum sampler on ITB projects.

From Plugin Boutique I got the PheonixVerb - mainly to grab up the free Drumazon, which I also don't really need. I'm looking at maybe getting Audiothings Valve filter instead of the Black Box ....because that's only £9.95 and does a similar type of thing.....

So basically AB compare was the only thing I really 'needed' and I ended up with more than I know what to do with.

https://soundcloud.com/fi-lo-249446903
Bubble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #12
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I just grabbed Native Instruments Super 8, which I think is very up my alley. I already own Komplete 9. I can't drop the big bucks to fully upgrade, so I went with just that one Vsti, which seems like great value.

I'm probably going to also cave and grab MassiveX within the next 24 hrs. Lol just about to demo it. I love NIs stuff, so I'm sure that I will love MassiveX.
Those 2 synths are £130 already...isn't the update only £170?

And of course if updates aren't included in this sale they probably will be in the next so next summer it will be £85 for the whole thing.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:31 AM   #13
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble07 View Post
So basically AB compare was the only thing I really 'needed' and I ended up with more than I know what to do with.
I think a lot of people will pass by the utility plugs when they see a raft of channel strips, compressors, buss processors all for 29 bucks but Metric AB was easily my best purchase from the last round of PA sales.

Have somehow managed to not buy one thing this time.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #14
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post

And of course if updates aren't included in this sale they probably will be in the next so next summer it will be £85 for the whole thing.
That's how I wait to upgrade Komplete (if at all), but maybe I'm tight-fisted!
I eventually picked up boxed and delivered version 12 in a summer sale mainly for Massive X. £79 if I recall.

12 months or so later and a new Guitar Rig is in there but other than that I'm not that excited about 13 as I picked up Super 8 for Reaktor (you get the free upgrade to the vst3 version anyway) with an NI voucher. I think it was £22 at the time.

They've neglected the synthesizers (where are the new ones?, Where are the updates to absynth or fm8?) and concentrated on those Maschine sample libraries I don't even bother to install- I guess they are profitable for NI, and if so all power to their collective elbow!

As for the pianos IMHO Pianoteq left them far behind a long time ago, but to be fair when there's a bought as part of the package they're still good value if you're not prepared to stump up for Pianoteq, and the novelty pianos are still fun.

Even so if you didn't have Komplete 11 or 12 I would think upgrading to this was an absolute no-brainer. Methinks it is generally better to skip a version or two of Komplete to get the absolute best value.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
valy

Spent way too much but got a shitload of stuff. Lots of Acquas I was wanting, and a few Nebula libraries. The $30 codes from Plugin Alliance helped a lot too, got some nice utility tools that have been on my list for a while. Also a few miscellanous ones like the Fabfilter Pro-G and the McDSP Futzbox.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #16
synkrotron

Noise Engineering Roti Pola (Silver)

Four channel attenuverting CV mixer and offset
Old 11-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #17
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I did end up getting SWAM All-in with this years tax refund XD
You found you had involuntary savings!
Let us know how you get on with them in terms of how they play with EWI or other electronic wind instruments, breath controllers, MPE and so on.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #18
Philbo King

Awesome here. Haven't bought anything.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
nait

Quote:

Hmm, damn it.. I was looking at the wrong upgrade price it seems. I thought it was over 500 cad for my upgrade but it is 260. Its going to stretch my budget for this stuff, but that's definitely the smarter choice, if they will credit me the super 8 price.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #20
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
Please, tell us about your most ridiculous purchase this Black Friday week!

Or tell us about the best deal you made!

Do share!

I’ll go first:
Could not resist the Izotope holiday bundle – though I’m not really sure if it ever will see any use. Perhaps in the future.

I also bought a couple of channel strips: Lindell 80 37$ and Nomad Factory Studio Rack 29$. These I will actually use :-)

What else? Hmmm … (seems I have no shame): I picked up the VLA-2A, VLA-3A and the Magnetite dirt cheap from Black Rooster. Will use.

Plus KV331 Audio SynthMaster Player for almost nothing, and Brainworks Masterdesk 37 $. The former I have no idea about, but the latter will definitely se a lot of use.

Haven't even installed all the stuff in the Izotope bundle yet (LOTS of stuff there).
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #21
toleolu

The dispensary close to my house had Blue Dream on sale.

Black Friday's been very, very good to me.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post

Well if that ain't some music making tools, I don't know what is!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
peter5992

I got myself a nice collection of solo strings:

- Tina Guo acoustic cello 1 and 2 (absolutely terrific for lyrical solo cello)
- Joshua Bell solo violin (Embertone) (probably best solo violin, difficult instrument to sample persuasively)
- Expressive viola also by Embertone

and a room tuning kit by Sonarworks (including microphone).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post

Oh, so that's not a Joe satriani endorsed VST then!
Cannot even legally get medical grade stuff to treat an ailing dog here in UK. Despite making vast amounts of it here legally for medical purposes overseas.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
nait

Quote:

Quote:
Hmm, damn it.. I was looking at the wrong upgrade price it seems. I thought it was over 500 cad for my upgrade but it is 260. Its going to stretch my budget for this stuff, but that's definitely the smarter choice, if they will credit me the super 8 price.
Actually, no.... I was right with my first thought of it being > $500CAD for my upgrade.

I have Komplete ULTIMATE (and actually KU 11, I forgot I initially bought 9 then upgraded to 11). To upgrade, I need to upgrade to Komplete Ultimate 13 (not to the standard). The upgrade price for that is $519CAD. Super8 was $65CAD, and Massive X is $129.50CAD. I obviously miss out on some other new content between 11 and 13, but I think I'll have to do suffer without whatever that is, as I can't scrape up the extra $320+ right now.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #26
Softsynth

I believe you can upgrade the Komplete content for Standard only and keep your Ultimate content/license. You may have to contact support though if it doesn't appear as an option, or just buy a retail box from a reseller.
Obviously you wouldn't get the brand new Ultimate content, just the brand new Standard content.

I would check with other users, but I seem to remember somebody else telling me they did this either with 11 or 12 Standard content when they had an older Ultimate.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #27
daverich

I bought CRTIV Reverb 2 from voxengo for about 20 quid.

Man this thing is beautful, easily the sweetest verb I own!
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #28
daverich

I bought CRTIV Reverb 2 from voxengo for about 20 quid.

Man this thing is beautful, easily the sweetest verb I own!

https://www.voxengo.com/product/crtivreverb/
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #29
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I believe you can upgrade the Komplete content for Standard only and keep your Ultimate content/license. You may have to contact support though if it doesn't appear as an option, or just buy a retail box from a reseller.
Obviously you wouldn't get the brand new Ultimate content, just the brand new Standard content.

I would check with other users, but I seem to remember somebody else telling me they did this either with 11 or 12 Standard content when they had an older Ultimate.

It definitely doesn't show as an option for me, but I'll Kontakt (lol) NI support tomorrow and see if there's any sort of deal they can give me. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #30
Softsynth

Quote:
It definitely doesn't show as an option for me, but I'll Kontakt (lol) NI support tomorrow and see if there's any sort of deal they can give me. Thanks for the suggestion
Yeah, I don't think it's an official option they are going to highlight. Obviously once they have you on the "Ultimate" gravy train they want your automatic purchase upgrade to be Ultimate version.

Of course the guy that said that might have got that wrong, so best to check with NI if you can update an Ultimate version with a Standard.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #31
chip mcdonald

I'm not sure what you guys are doing, don't you know it's Drum VSTi day?

At least that's what it's been for me the past... 900 years.

This year I got A.I.R. Strike 2 for $14. It looked like it functioned a bit like the original Groove Agent did. Except, it doesn't install. Stops on a menu with no selections. Won't uninstall, says a "network resource is not available". Wasted a day doing computer gymnastics trying to get it to install. No response from emailing their support. I've never had a program just not install like this thing before.

Bought EZDrummer 2, since I've got to continue to complete my collection of Drum Software That Is All Missing a Feature From Another Drum Program. That, and hopefully the "Tap to Find" feature will be useful in corralling my 20,000+ midi patterns.

Uhg - I have zero money to spend this year, so this really is "fessing up". Geez.

Last edited by chip mcdonald; 11-29-2020 at 06:10 PM.
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:42 AM   #32
ivansc

Feeling pleased with myself. For the first year ever the only BF special I got was the Waves CLA freebie! I think I am cured!!!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #33
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Feeling pleased with myself. For the first year ever the only BF special I got was the Waves CLA freebie! I think I am cured!!!
I've looked at hundreds of pages of Black Friday sale stuff and not a jiggle of my credit card happened. Prolly gonna end up buying a Hosa Little Bro mic snake to go from my acoustic drums to my audio interface, and it's not on sale.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote