Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
gingerninja
Human being with feelings

Default Getting things right first

Hi

I have been lurking here (well on the massive free vst list) for some time - I am a regular Reaper user working on a trance (yeah yeah, dont laugh) project.

I have just got a new laptop, and although I have already gotten things installed I'm not to far gone to start over.

I am running a thinkpad x61s with ubuntu for daily computer crap (facebook twitter email) and XP Pro for music (Reaper and iTunes).

I want to set XP to run as fast as possible, as I am prone to using far too many plugins, and until I am a decent way down the line with a project I dont wanna bounce things down to audio.

I am happy for general feedback, but I would love answers to a couple of specific questions:

1. Should I install XP-64Bit (or even W7), I have 4gig of RAM and a dual core proc.. so I think I would gain some speed - but I dont wanna loose stability.

2. Any good links for tweaking XP for audio, should i go for a "lite" version of XP?

Looking forward to being part of the crew

ginge.
gingerninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
gingerninja

anyone?

It's not like I asked how to sound like Tiesto or anything!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

Will give you a quick reply plus bump as others will chime in soon I'm sure.

For me and a lot of others here, windows 7 64bit (with reaper 32bit or 64bit) has been a great experience. As stable as xp (which is pretty good by sp2) but with lots of handy bells and whistles. I could never go back to xp now.

You may also be likely to find drivers for win 7 64bit than xp 64bit for new hardware too (although this is slightly speculative on my part)

If you have any specific questions ask away but I would give win 7 64bit a go, it will handle your 4 gig pretty well although it does eat up a little more than xp (others might be able to give more detail)
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Tedwood

Best way to set up XP for audio only is with an Nlite'd version

I'm running one myself, although I will probably go over to Win 7 when I get some more ram (only 2 Gig at the mo).

Vst's will eat up your ram pretty quick, depending on what they are, but the gain in ram acces to 4 Gigs may be offset by the amount Win 7 actually needs.

It's a tough call, but I don't know anything about your processor, if it's nothing too special I think I would go with XP Nlite, there's a thread here somewhere if you search for Dux Nlite.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
gingerninja

I have just bought an ageing (but 24/96) m-audio interface which only has XP drivers avilable. I think I may have shot myself in the foot a little as I doubt there will be 64bit drivers for it.

I think going for an n-lited version of XP is the best soloution, and then I will try and run as little of the thinkpad bloat/software as possible. As most of the nLite'd versions of XP will be 32 bit it was olways going to be a trade off between "stock" 64 bit and potential driver issues and nLite'd 32 bit and stability.

My logic in buying a cheaper inferface now was that as long as I am generating 24bit wavs its safer to bounce to as I will still be able to polish things in the mix/master - I guess its all about balance.

The next thing to spend money on is getting rid of that DAMN nag scren ;-)

Thanks for the help.

ginge
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Fabian

Try DuX' audio optimized XP, works wonders on lower spec'ed comps.
It's here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30162. Only problem, may not work with OEM keys.

XPx64, just f'get it...
Old 09-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
gingerninja

Thanks

If only Reaper ran, nicely, under linux.