Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
ginormous
Human being with feelings

Default Let me try again here: IK plugin crashing Reaper x64

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, running Reaper v4.25 x64.

Install of IK SampleTank FREE 2.5.5b attempted; after 3 times, it finally shows up in FX library (not Instrument).

Any attempt to run plugin spews error messages: "registry error, please check for proper install", and various calls for missing QuickTime v 4 .dll and .exe files. Current QuickTime is v 7.x, and is already installed.

Uninstall and reinstall of both Reaper and IK plugin does not address error.

Haven't even tried to run AmpliTube 3 plugin.
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Where exactly did you install the plug-in (path)?

Un-/reinstalling REAPER doesn't reset bad settings, there's a start menu entry for that. However it seems the installation of the plugin went wrong since none of the missing components you mentioned are used by REAPER by default (unless there's video in the project maybe).

Is ST free 64 bit?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
drew
Mobile

Just to check, have you been installing from the regular IK installer using all defaults?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
whis4ey

I had the same sort of problems with this product and after many attempts to install, authorise and run it with Reaper (all unsuccessful) I finally gave up
I found it cumbersome to say the least
whis4ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
DarkStar

^^^^
I disagree. Many people have installed ST2 and run it quite happily in Reaper.

BAck to the OP:
--I'm not sure what you mean by "FX library, not Instrument" All plugins are referred to as effects, in Reaper. or did you mean VST vs VSTi?
-- ST2 does not use QuickTime - but AmpliTube does

For all IK products on Windows 7, you need to run the Install "as Administrator", so that the instaleer can create the files in the intended locations (some of which are protected by WIndwos 7). Same goes for the IK Multimedia Authorization Manager 9get the latest version form the web site) and the IK standalone products and Reaper.

More info over here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/vi...php?f=19&t=814
Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post

Is ST free 64 bit?
No,it's 32 bit.I just installed IK Sampletron,and it works fine - bridged in Reaper 64 bit.
Must say,it is the most awkward audio prog I ever installed.I think IK have made it unnecessarily so.
Great sounds though.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
whis4ey

Quote:
Must say,it is the most awkward audio prog I ever installed.I think IK have made it unnecessarily so.
I think that is quite a large chunk of the problem ...
whis4ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
ginormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Where exactly did you install the plug-in (path)?

Un-/reinstalling REAPER doesn't reset bad settings, there's a start menu entry for that. However it seems the installation of the plugin went wrong since none of the missing components you mentioned are used by REAPER by default (unless there's video in the project maybe).

Is ST free 64 bit?
No video in the project; I checked to confirm the install by using View>FX Browser. It seems that some IK plugins require some files from QT4. The Reaper x64 plugins run in 32-bit, and they were all functioning OK. The plugins were all showing up, but it took a few attempts in Preferences to get them to show.

edit: STFree is 32-bit; I haven't yet found any 64-bit plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Just to check, have you been installing from the regular IK installer using all defaults?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
I disagree. Many people have installed ST2 and run it quite happily in Reaper.

BAck to the OP:
--I'm not sure what you mean by "FX library, not Instrument" All plugins are referred to as effects, in Reaper. or did you mean VST vs VSTi?
-- ST2 does not use QuickTime - but AmpliTube does

For all IK products on Windows 7, you need to run the Install "as Administrator", so that the installer can create the files in the intended locations (some of which are protected by WIndwos 7). Same goes for the IK Multimedia Authorization Manager 9get the latest version form the web site) and the IK standalone products and Reaper.

More info over here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/vi...php?f=19&t=814
I was under the assumption that ST Free would install in the "Instruments" folder but it's under View>FX Browser>VST>FX .

Used the IK installer, although there was a hangup with the product registration. When I tried to confirm the serial #, the IK confirmation window said the Authorization Manager app was outdated. I had to go back to the IK website and install a new app. Yes, I checked to see if it was the authentic website, to make sure I wasn't being spoofed. I'm very cautious about such things.

Yes, I installed the freeware AmpliTube 3 also, and had the same issue with the Auth Mgr.
I haven't tried booting it up.

Both installs were done on my Win7 user account (admin pre-authorized, UAC disabled).

Last edited by ginormous; 08-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
memyselfandus

anyone know how to authorize ik plugins for offline computers?
I am trying to do a offline authorization from my laptop and there is no option under user account to add another computer(fresh windows instal) and the authorization manager is only giving me the option to authorize on the laptop......
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
ginormous

OK, so on the off-chance that Reaper x64 doesn't get along with IK 32-bit plugins, I uninstalled it and put in the 32-bit version.

While checking the (x86) Program Files directory in Windows, I found an anomaly. Instead of a folder named "Steinberg/Vst PlugIns", I found "VST PlugIns". Set up the correct folder/subfolder, and the VST FX and VSTi showed up as expected.

I'll start working with it a little bit tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
hugoagogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
OK, so on the off-chance that Reaper x64 doesn't get along with IK 32-bit plugins, I uninstalled it and put in the 32-bit version.
ginormous, I'm running Sonic Synth 2, Sample Tank, Philharmonik, & Sample Moog (all 32-bit IK Multimedia plugins) comfortably on my x64 Reaper without hiccups. I will say I was having slow load times until I changed the path to my plugins. My vst's are now set up this way:

C:\Music\Plugins\32bitvst
C:\Music\Plugins\64bitvst

Also been advised that when I'm listing the vst plug in path in preferences
to list the 32 bit folder first, the 64 bit second for 64 bit reaper like so:
C:\Music\Plugins\32bitvst;C:\Music\Plugins\64bitvs t
Don't know how important that is, but I did it, and I haven't had a problem since then running 32bit vst's

I hope this helps you out. The regulars on these boards have been great for advice for a newbie like myself. I hope you get your problem resolved. I love all my IK Multimedia stuff.
hugoagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #12
ivansc

Where`s Opik when you need him?

I too have had no issues with IKMM products.

Suspect that you may be doing the traditional Tennessee thing of "holding yer mouth wrong".

I wold be very tempted to strip the lot out and start again with a totally fresh install.
Maybe use revo uninstaller to be sure you got everything....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
ginormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Where`s Opik when you need him?

I too have had no issues with IKMM products.

Suspect that you may be doing the traditional Tennessee thing of "holding yer mouth wrong".

I wold be very tempted to strip the lot out and start again with a totally fresh install.
Maybe use revo uninstaller to be sure you got everything....
I use CCleaner to get the dangly bits out of my registry.

I was able to get the plugins to work, and show up in the proper folders.

Unfortunately, when I reinstalled the plugins, the Authorization Manager kept coming up as "outdated". That meant I had to go back to the website and download new Authorization Manager software. I used up my 5-computer registry limit getting them on one computer!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
DarkStar

^^^^
I doubt that - more likely you have used the same Authorization code 5 times. Check in your IK Multimedia User Area. You would only need a different code if your system HW/SW changes significantly.

But even if you have, IK MUltimedia will, in most reasonable circumstances, reset your Account activations.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
ivansc

Wot 'ee said.
They really are pretty decent about this sort of thing, as are most other plug developers I have used, IF you approach them right.
The 'NI hate' thread in the spam-eria on here is a classic case of people whining about stuff when they haven't bothered to follow the manufacturers own procedures to get help.

RTFM is as true today as it ever was with some people.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #16
ginormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
I doubt that - more likely you have used the same Authorization code 5 times. Check in your IK Multimedia User Area. You would only need a different code if your system HW/SW changes significantly.

But even if you have, IK MUltimedia will, in most reasonable circumstances, reset your Account activations.
I checked against my original Auth codes, which I got in the email, and saved to a .rtf document in my word proc.

They're all different codes. Haven't changed a thing. Haven't plugged in my interface or anything.

I'm a sweet guy, 'cos I used to work in retail customer service... for a real ass-hat company. I know how it feels on both ends of the rope. I'd rather deal with someone who does their best to accomodate the customer. I'd rather be someone willing to understand the person on the phone/at the counter has a limited amount of resources to deal with issues.

Last edited by ginormous; 08-10-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
[...] Unfortunately, when I reinstalled the plugins, the Authorization Manager kept coming up as "outdated". That meant I had to go back to the website and download new Authorization Manager software. I used up my 5-computer registry limit getting them on one computer!
IKMM makes some of the very best examples of poor programming. The other day, I launched their ("outdated") Authorization manager v1.0.5, which prompted me to update, and then launched the URL to download the update (v1.0.6). Which, after installing and launching told me it was outdated as well, and in turn launched another URL to download v1.0.7. Go figure what programming genius designed that.

Last edited by Banned; 08-10-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote