Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
yagonnawantthatcowbell
Human being with feelings

Default Rally to bring Klinke's MCU plug to osx

I was a very early user of Klinke's mackie control plug in but soon switched to mac. I've been trying to rally some interest in porting it to mac for over a year now.

As V4 release is imminent, I was thinking this may a be a good time to again try to rally support for this.

As an aside, I just picked up a copy of reason 5, and the integration with the MCU is pretty tight across all of it's modules. Why won't Cockos implement a more full featured version of their c_surf plug-in?

I understand OSC support is coming soon, and controlling Reaper through a web interface is in the works, but Klinke has a great plug-in for the MCU, the undisputed king of controllers. It'd be sweet to have this on a mac

Every studio I've been in has been running macs, every edit bay is running macs, dubstages, script supervisors, producers, production sound mixers, re-recording mixers, motion graphics, art directors, lighting designers, they all use macs.

Tight integration with a hardware controller is a requisite must-have at this point.

I have no programming experience but am (still) willing to do what I can to get this ported over.
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
psi777

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagonnawantthatcowbell View Post
I have no programming experience but am (still) willing to do what I can to get this ported over.
Which is what, exactly? Not to be an ass, but taking on a task like this is generally a substantial amount of work, and in most cases, those individuals with the skill set necessary to do such a thing tend to be highly employable, and subsequently, quite busy.

For whatever (most likely quite valid) reason, the developers behind Reaper have opted to generally not prioritize hardware control integration, beyond a simple implementation of several common products. I definitely understand your frustration; I work on a Mac as well, and seethe in jealousy at Padre's plugin for Novation's Remote keyboards...I've tried it out under Bootcamp, and it beats the hell out of the hack-job Automap/MIDI settings I've put together (HUI implementation isn't really even worth discussing, IMO). And yet, even though I am someone who does have the education and experience necessary to be a good candidate for taking a shot at porting his work over to Mac (he has publicly expressed encouragement for someone to do so), I would never actual do it...compare the amount of time required for such a task, vs. the amount of time it would actually save me once finished...it just doesn't add up.

So unless you're able to convince the Reaper folks that they need to re-think their priorities on this topic, really your only means of "doing whatever you can" is to actually offer to pay someone to take this on. Any chance that's what you mean when you say that? Or is it more just "I'm going to keep bitching about this until someone decides to do something about it?"
psi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi777 View Post
Which is what, exactly? Not to be an ass, but taking on a task like this is generally a substantial amount of work, and in most cases, those individuals with the skill set necessary to do such a thing tend to be highly employable, and subsequently, quite busy.

For whatever (most likely quite valid) reason, the developers behind Reaper have opted to generally not prioritize hardware control integration, beyond a simple implementation of several common products. I definitely understand your frustration; I work on a Mac as well, and seethe in jealousy at Padre's plugin for Novation's Remote keyboards...I've tried it out under Bootcamp, and it beats the hell out of the hack-job Automap/MIDI settings I've put together (HUI implementation isn't really even worth discussing, IMO). And yet, even though I am someone who does have the education and experience necessary to be a good candidate for taking a shot at porting his work over to Mac (he has publicly expressed encouragement for someone to do so), I would never actual do it...compare the amount of time required for such a task, vs. the amount of time it would actually save me once finished...it just doesn't add up.

So unless you're able to convince the Reaper folks that they need to re-think their priorities on this topic, really your only means of "doing whatever you can" is to actually offer to pay someone to take this on. Any chance that's what you mean when you say that? Or is it more just "I'm going to keep bitching about this until someone decides to do something about it?"
For whatever reason, I've never been able to get Cockos to comment on if this. By "doing all I can" I mean "doing all I can." I have offered payment in the past. I feel Reaper's users are more programming savvy on average than users of other DAWs, as it's super-customizable if you are at least somewhat software oriented. So I am trying to appeal to the user base here.

Maybe those interested can pool resources, as in bringing a competent willing programmer to the table, pooling cash together between interested users to donate to the programmer. Maybe someone wants to contribute to the community and is willing to donate their time.

I've sent some emails back and forth with Klinke and he was very gracious to give me the source code and a list of steps that would need to be taken to compile a mac version. I even tried to teach myself a little about what was involved, but was quickly over my head.

It does seem though, for the right person, this wouldn't actually be that hard to do.

So, in answer to your question, I'm not "bitching until someone decides to do something about it," I'm actually trying to do something about it.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
psi777

Fair enough...and sorry about the "bitching about it comment," I was having a grumpy morning.

If you're actually looking for someone to take something like this on, you may want to extend your search beyond the DAW community. There are a ton of websites out there for finding freelance programmers for exactly this sort of task: relatively small scope of work (agree with you on that point), for a relatively small amount of money. You'll need to do a fair amount of due diligence...such sites are often full of individuals from India, eastern Europe, etc., who will dramatically under-bid anything that comes up, without really understanding what is being asked (not to single out those regions, plenty of amazing and honest people abroad as well)...but the better websites have protections in place on both sides. But if it really is just a port of existing code, you really shouldn't need someone with anything more than a passing familiarity of audio/DAW software. And if the $ numbers prove a bit higher than makes sense for your own needs, I imagine you could probably find a few others around here who would be happy to pitch in for such a thing.

As for Reaper's approach to control surface: agree, I'd love to hear their reasons for not concentrating more on this. It might be something as nefarious as the folks behind Mackie/Euphonix/etc being stingy with their APIs and licensing, due to relationships with the big boys behind PT and Nuendo...or something as simple as not being considered a priority for their vision as to what Reaper is all about. Either way, I'm sure plenty of folks here would at least like to hear more as to why control surfaces get so little attention.
psi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
yagonnawantthatcowbell

I did get some quotes previously on some of those sites with freelance programmers. I think I only received one or two bids. The bids were pretty high and that got me thinking about support. If I payed someone in India $1500 to do this port what kind of support am I going to get... none. And what if Klinke updates his plug-in...

Which brought me back here to this community. I assume (again, I'm not a programmer) that once it is compiled for osx, updates by Klinke to his plug-in would be pretty easy for the person who did the port to update things on the Mac side. Who is going to be willing to do this? I suspect an active Reaper/osx user would have more motivation to keep everything up to date.

It just really burns me up that there is no way to natively control plugins in reaper with an MCU. Such a huge oversight, IMHO
Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
pixeltarian

Quote:
It just really burns me up that there is no way to natively control plugins in reaper with an MCU. Such a huge oversight, IMHO
i think maybe you can with those novation thingies...

you KNOW I'm all for porting klinke's plugin to mac. i mean hell... it uses juce - which is cross platform already!
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
i think maybe you can with those novation thingies...

you KNOW I'm all for porting klinke's plugin to mac. i mean hell... it uses juce - which is cross platform already!
Lol. I think you've replied to all my MCU/OSX threads! You're into it fo' sho'!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
fingers

Why don't you post the source to the stashbox or somewhere so if anyone is keen they can do it without having to find where the source is. It might not be too much work considering it uses JUCE.
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
Why don't you post the source to the stashbox or somewhere so if anyone is keen they can do it without having to find where the source is. It might not be too much work considering it uses JUCE.
I've sent an email to Klinke seeking his permission to upload the code to stashbox. In the meantime, I can email it over if anyone is interested in looking through it. The steps that have been identified to do this have been provided as follows:

The tasks that must be done and that i'm aware of are:
- Download and build the BOOST library
- Download and build the JUCE library
- Download and install the Reaper API
- Create an XCode project with the settings needed for Reaper, throw all my files into it, add BOOST/JUCE/Reaper API to include/link dirs.
- Create a resource for the Settings dialog
- I think also the dialog handling/main functions etc. exist only as Windows-Code must get an OSX version (but maybe some part of the Cockos-Library will solve this)
- Find a replacement of GetAsyncKeystate, which i use for detected the state of the Keyboard-modifier, because JUCE didn't provided a platform-independent solution
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Klinke

Quote:
I did get some quotes previously on some of those sites with freelance programmers. I think I only received one or two bids. The bids were pretty high and that got me thinking about support. If I payed someone in India $1500 to do this port what kind of support am I going to get... none.
Before you pay $1500 to a freelance programmer, ask me, this honey pot would be sweet enough to do the job ;-) But as a professional freelance programmer without knowledge of the project i would ask for a higher sum, porting code from other people is an ugly task with a lot of surprises, i have done it sometimes in the past.

Quote:
And what if Klinke updates his plug-in...
Which will happen in one week ;-)

Quote:
Which brought me back here to this community. I assume (again, I'm not a programmer) that once it is compiled for osx, updates by Klinke to his plug-in would be pretty easy for the person who did the port to update things on the Mac side. Who is going to be willing to do this? I suspect an active Reaper/osx user would have more motivation to keep everything up to date.
I can't promise anything, but i would try to keep it up to date, i have access to a MacBook.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
As mentioned in the post above, i'm working at the moment on the last details of a new release. If you really think that this could help, i will upload the Code at Github afterwards, okay? I would prefer this alot vs. the stashbox solution, because it would be much easier to reintegrate the work of others. And i want to learn how to use git anyway ;-)
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
Before you pay $1500 to a freelance programmer, ask me, this honey pot would be sweet enough to do the job ;-) But as a professional freelance programmer without knowledge of the project i would ask for a higher sum, porting code from other people is an ugly task with a lot of surprises, i have done it sometimes in the past.

I can't promise anything, but i would try to keep it up to date, i have access to a MacBook.
The $1500 amount was an exaggeration on the highest quote I received. However, I am more than willing to throw some cash in a pot for this and I'm sure I can find another couple of users who would make a donation to bring this to fruition, if that's what it's going to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke
As mentioned in the post above, i'm working at the moment on the last details of a new release. If you really think that this could help, i will upload the Code at Github afterwards, okay? I would prefer this alot vs. the stashbox solution, because it would be much easier to reintegrate the work of others. And i want to learn how to use git anyway ;-)
Copy that. I won't upload to stashbox.

Last edited by yagonnawantthatcowbell; 06-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
Awlrighty!!

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
pixeltarian

just a trip down memory lane...
I even donated to this:

pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
just a trip down memory lane...
I even donated to this:

Wow, totally forgot about that.

Maybe we should try it again!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Is the coming OSC support going to make this a moot point?

Check this:

http://wn.com/contrOSC_software_demo...a_OSC_on_Linux