Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default How modulate plugin parameters by MIDI note events?

How can you best modulate for example the filter frequency of a JS effect, by the MIDI note number events on another (or the same) track? So when the notes play higher up on the keyboard, the filter frequency is set correspondingly high, and vice versa.

I know there are a few filter plugins that offers this functionality by default, but I want to be able to do it to JS effects that don't offer it.

thx
Old 09-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
domzy

ReaLearn might be the tool for this
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
ReaLearn might be the tool for this
yes, I just figured it out:

load ReaLearn into the track as the first fx in the chain. You have to set its MIDI control input to "<FX input>" and you have to click on the MIDI button in the upper right section of the generic ReaLearn window, select MIDI output and set it to "merges with MIDI bus". Then add a new mapping and set the source type to "Note number". After that, open the desired plugin that you wanna automate through the MIDI notes, click on "LEARN" in the target section of ReaLearn's mapping and then simply touch the desired fx parameter knob in the fx's gui. Done. By fiddling with the "Source min and max" sliders in ReaLearn's mapping window you can adjust how strong the given note range of the MIDI item will effect the parameter range of the fx plugin.

Thanks for bringing this up. I will definitely use this way of "parameter modulation" in the future

Old 09-15-2019, 04:47 AM   #4
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
yes, I just figured it out.

Thanks for bringing this up. I will definitely use this way of "parameter modulation" in the future .
Oh plz don't steal my gratitude. Thank you for sharing what you worked out. I will be sure to use this onwards.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

You could also use a plugin to make CCs out of note events and use actual Parameter Modulation. This way you’re not spamming the global control bus with random CCs that might be assigned to other things. It’s all just track midi like everything else.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
You could also use a plugin to make CCs out of note events and use actual Parameter Modulation. This way you’re not spamming the global control bus with random CCs that might be assigned to other things. It’s all just track midi like everything else.
which plugin can we use to convert MIDI notes into CC?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
You could also use a plugin to make CCs out of note events and use actual Parameter Modulation.
I tried doing that but I had no success. I couldn't find any workable converter or plugin.

One of the problems was that "Note number" is no MIDI CC parameter (according to the GM2 standard), and note number was what I tried using to modulate the filter frequency from. Furthermore, Note Number needs to be converted from the two digit number into corresponding frequency number first, before modulation can occur. Sending the raw Note Number (for example number"44") to the filter might possibly cause the filter to be set at 44Hz. Not very useful.

Maybe there are other references (than Note Number) that one can catch off of key presses, and convert into some CC value. I haven't thought that far yet.

Last edited by Colox; 09-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Did you try this? It directly converts note number 0-127 to CC value 0-127. I believe there’s a setting in ReaEQ that makes it scale automation/modulation logarithmically which at least helps. I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure I’ve seen it done.

Edit - Check this out. Slightly different method, but seems very well thought out and very well explained.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 09-16-2019 at 12:49 PM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
SonicAxiom

meanwhile, I tried virtually all available plugins that are supposed to convert MIDI note numbers to CC and the one that works best is PizMIDI midiNotesToCC. Sadly, all other JS plugins either fail in doing it reliably or are missing important features.

Load midiNotesToCC as the first plugin into the track's fx chain. Then, set its last slider (MIDI thru) to "All" which keeps it from blocking MIDI data from following plugins. Set its first slider to the desired CC number, let's pick CC7 as an example. At that point, it will already output CC7 data when you play back MIDI notes. To link an fx parameter to the CC7 data derived from the notes, open the parameter modulation window for the desired fx parameter and enable "Link from MIDI or FX parameter". Then, choose "MIDI -> CC -> volume 07 MSB". Done.

You may wanna use the 2nd and 3rd slider of midiNotesToCC to scale the supposedly narrow controller range which is generated by your notes to the entire range of the parameter that is being modulated.